how to fix window clunk after recall fix (pics)

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
B14CK_H4WK

how to fix window clunk after recall fix (pics)

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

ok so i know a lot of people are having their drivers side window clunk while going down and/or make a shatter noise while closing the door while the window is down. ill so you guys how to fix it. i think we really all need to get together and contact pontiac/gm about this because their recall fix is ridiculous and has actually physically damaged my window.the shatter noise only happens when the door is shut because while the door is closed the hinge/ door stop thing gets pushed back out and the window actually comes down on top of it making the noise.CLICK ON PICS TO ENLARGEso here is the door stop and where its actually hittinghere is a picture of it when the door is open and you can see why it doesn't hit while its openhere is the fix, remove the circled screwsonce its off it will look like this. the side that needs to be cut on mine had a circle hole in it. im not sure if yours will so make sure you cut the left side, the side toward the windowonce its cut off it should look like this. i have a minimum of 1cm of clearance between the window and the door stop after its been cutthanks for reading my how to i hope it helps
Mark

Re: how to fix window clunk after recall fix (B14CK_H4WK)

Post by Mark »

I think the noise is getting worse and I'm worried about ruining the window. I remember to open the door about the time it's too late.Just a couple questions, for the OP or anyone who knows:1. How did the recall bolt replacement cause this part to start being in the way of the window? 2. How do I get the door panel off without breaking anything
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
vibolista

Re: how to fix window clunk after recall fix (Mark)

Post by vibolista »

Not sure about the recall bolt replacement. The interior door panel comes off by carefully prying out the fasteners, you can probably find a flat tool that is specially made for the job (looks a little like a Y shaped spatula) and fits between the door and trim panel. You'll also need to take a screw or two out around the door handle. I haven't taken the Vibe door apart, but I've done that to several other cars. All pretty much the same. I'm sure you can find pictures and instructions if you do a search.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ou.grizzly

Re: how to fix window clunk after recall fix (Mark)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Mark »I think the noise is getting worse and I'm worried about ruining the window. I remember to open the door about the time it's too late.Just a couple questions, for the OP or anyone who knows:1. How did the recall bolt replacement cause this part to start being in the way of the window? 2. How do I get the door panel off without breaking anything http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37792
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just got around to doing this today. Once I got everything apart I realized I didn't have anything to cut it with, so I clamped it in a vise and filed it off. It took me longer to find my flat file than it did to file the corner down. Everything went back together very easily, too.This was a lot easier than replacing the speaker on my Dodge truck, that door panel is a pita.
truepath

Re: second try on window clunk

Post by truepath »

I finally solved the window clunking (grinding). My first attempt involved tightening the clamp that connects the bottom of the window to the bottom bracket. That didn't do the job. With further research I found this thread indicating that the door stop interfered with the window. I took the door apart AGAIN, removed the door stop and ground off the interfering portion. Problem fixed!
LuvMyVibe

Re: how to fix window clunk after recall fix (B14CK_H4WK)

Post by LuvMyVibe »

Thank you for posting this, I hope I can fix mine!!! The pics help.
thebig

Post by thebig »

thanks to you giy i fixed my windows ....thanks yall
firetech

Re: how to fix window clunk after recall fix (pics)

Post by firetech »

Grinding the end off the door check strap will fix it temporarily. The actual problem is the inner structure of the door where the check strap is bolted to the actual door is being pulled outward and forward either by over extending the door when open or leaning on it when its open or if it was caught by the wind and flung open. Because the check strap is bolted to the door on a now angled part of the structure it actually aims it into the path of the glass. Mine was under the glass by almost an inch! Compare the shape of this area with the passenger door which sees way less use. I started by leaving the check strap bolted to the door but took it off the post (single bolt at the front) this allows the door to open a little more to get a hammer in there. I used the largest hammer I could get to hit the bolts and got it hammered fairly flat. I also user a piece of hardwood to get back into the corners of that area as far as I could. I then took the strap right out of the door. You can feel up under the door seal right in that area that that the whole structure is kinked up a little compared to the other door. Unclip the front portion of the door seal with a small screw driver and tape it out of the way. I put a piece of 2x4 on door post in that area and closed the door, i gently but firmly pushed the door towards the closed position and this shifted the structure of the door back into place. I reassembled everything and noy I have almost and inch clearance between the strap and the glass. It will be easier for it to go back to this condition because it has now been weakend somewhat. If your uncomfortable doing this a good body man should have no trouble with it.
gginnj

Post by gginnj »

Seems our Vibe has fallen prey to this issue as well. I initially thought the window was hitting a wire or locking mechanism cable. Glad it hadn't shattered.
but it seems that the open door vs closed door diagnostic test (cluncks while closed, no clunk while open) confirmed.

Rather than file off a corner, I was going to just replace the door check - which now seems to come with that side angled. Also, I noticed on ebay there is one available that is a totally different design that doesn't have that T-piece to stop the door. Has anyone used this modified design? It's about half the cost of the GM replacement check strap.

Below is an image of the modified strap
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Reviving this thread because I have more info.

I had a door check that wasn't working anymore, I could give the door a little push and it would fly open. Not wanting to dent neighboring cars anymore, I picked up a junkyard check for a few bucks that was in very good condition.

Then I got the dreaded clunk. Peering down the window I saw it was indeed hitting the door check. Even though I had the pointy one and the point was toward the window.
strap1.jpg
strap1.jpg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
The metal is too thick to bend properly. I don't have any good cutting tools like a bolt cutter or angle grinder or cut off wheel, just hand tools and a rotary tool. Rotary tool might have worked but would have taken a while.

I ended up using a metal file and just going to town on it. I was able to shave a decent amount off, and it was enough to stop the clunk.
strap2.jpg
strap2.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

gginnj wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 am Seems our Vibe has fallen prey to this issue as well. I initially thought the window was hitting a wire or locking mechanism cable. Glad it hadn't shattered.
but it seems that the open door vs closed door diagnostic test (cluncks while closed, no clunk while open) confirmed.

Rather than file off a corner, I was going to just replace the door check - which now seems to come with that side angled. Also, I noticed on ebay there is one available that is a totally different design that doesn't have that T-piece to stop the door. Has anyone used this modified design? It's about half the cost of the GM replacement check strap.

Below is an image of the modified strap
I know this is an old thread, but did you end up trying the different design? Did it work?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I ground mine off and ground it off some more, and the clunk would eventually come back after awhile. Then last May the strap broke off, jammed the regulator and bent one of the arms. So I replaced the window regulator and got a strap from an 09 Matrix at a local u-pull-it yard, which is a completely different design. It worked perfect, so I went back and grabbed the pass side too.

Looks similar to this one:

FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

Mark wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am I ground mine off and ground it off some more, and the clunk would eventually come back after awhile. Then last May the strap broke off, jammed the regulator and bent one of the arms. So I replaced the window regulator and got a strap from an 09 Matrix at a local u-pull-it yard, which is a completely different design. It worked perfect, so I went back and grabbed the pass side too.

Looks similar to this one:

This is exactly the info I was looking for, thank you!