What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Fever

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by Fever »

I changed plugs and cleaned the pcv valve today. Couple of days ago she started rough once and has hit 155k km. Decided it was time. I went with the NGK g-power platinum plugs instead of the iridiums. A third the price, supposed a better spark for a shorter lifespan. Only do ~10k km a year so I'm not worried.
I was really impressed with the noticeable difference in how peppy the car is now. I wasn't expecting such a change but I'm very happy with it. Change your plugs if getting near 150k km / 90-100k mi, you'll be happy you did.
'07Vibe '13FR-S '99Ranger
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Opened up a separate post on this unexpected mishap to Junior's Vibe. For the juicy details go here .... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45273

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I put 4 new Monroe Quick-Struts in my Vibe. I hope for better comfort. So far there is less harshness. I used the old nuts on the front struts because the new nuts are severely ovalized. That must be the reason some folks had to deal with broken studs.
compare the new nut with the old ones. The old ones are not ovalized and have dedicated contact surface to the body.
compare the new nut with the old ones. The old ones are not ovalized and have dedicated contact surface to the body.
New Quick-Struts (2).JPG (81.15 KiB) Viewed 29482 times
front: old vs new
front: old vs new
New Quick-Struts (3).JPG (101.31 KiB) Viewed 29482 times
Last edited by vibrologist on Sun May 22, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced front struts as well. Didnt go the Monroe route,as i dont forsee keeping the Vibe more than 3 years. 204K on the vibe and struts are shot. Ride does feel much better. Will do the rears next week. I dont work on Sunday :lol: Purchased all 4 complete struts for $263.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-Pontiac-V ... 1Y&vxp=mtr
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My Vibe turned over 67,000 miles a couple days ago.

Today I started stripping the tint off the windows of my Vibe. The rear door windows were scratched up pretty bad after 7 years of the dogs riding back there, so I decided I'd just get the tint re-done. The tint place was going to charge me around $150.00 to remove the old tint, so I did some research online and ended up finding a guy who had great luck using a fabric steamer. It just so happens our local Aldi had handheld fabric steamers a few weeks back. I ended up scoring one on clearance for $5.99 last weekend. I started with the rear driver's door window. I removed the door panel so I could ensure all the tint was removed and the entire window was clean. It went much better than I was expecting. Next, I decided to tackle the hatch window. I was expecting this to be a major PITA, but thanks to the fabric steamer, it was a piece of a cake. Again, I removed all the plastic trim pieces from the hatch to ensure complete removal and cleanliness. The fabric steamer is perfect for removing the tint because you don't have to worry about damaging anything. No need for any chemicals or even razor blades. Any leftover adhesive is easily removed using the fabric steamer and a terry cloth towel. I will be doing the rear passenger door window and both front door windows tomorrow. The new tint will hopefully go on within the next two weeks. I'll be getting 35% all around again. I am not removing the tint from the tiny little rear windows because it is still in excellent condition and it would be a huge pain to remove and re-do. Definitely not worth the hassle.

It's going to be very strange not having tinted windows for a couple weeks. I got them tinted within a couple weeks of initially buying the Vibe back in 2009.

This coming Monday (May 23rd) will mark the 7th anniversary of when my mom got her Vibe. Also, her Vibe will be turning over 67,000 miles within the next day or so.

Next weekend both Vibes will be getting much needed exterior details (wash, clay bar and 3-step wax). I'm hoping to get some new, updated, clean pictures of the Vibes together.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

So, my mom's Vibe turned over 67,000 miles this morning.

I also got the rest of the tint removed from my Vibe this morning. It went really well and I'm so glad I decided to remove it on my own. I will be setting up an appointment tomorrow to get it re-tinted ASAP. I forgot how boring it looks without tinted windows :(.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Got the windows re-tinted on my Vibe yesterday! When I dropped it off, they informed me they would have to remove the WeatherTech window deflectors in order to tint the windows :shock:! This scared me. I had visions of broken window deflectors and torn window seals, but alas everything went smoothly. I can't put the windows down for 3-5 days, so I am already planning on just waiting until next weekend to re-install the window deflectors. I am so happy to have tinted windows again. It was only a week without tint, but man, what a difference it makes :cool:!
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

How much did your tinting cost? Can you explain why you had to remove it and then get it re-applied?

Does it need to be done every couple of years or something?
I have a black Vibe so obviously I am looking for ways to keep the interior cool, and also having tints will make me *less paranoid about carrying a subwoofer around in the rear.

Post by vibenvy »

It was $330.95 at Ziebart (a chain). I removed the old tint because it was 7 years old and had some scratches and marks from my dogs, etc. The old tint needed to be removed in order for the new tint to be applied. Assuming you do not use glass cleaner with ammonia, the tint should last a very long time. My reason for having it re-done was simply cosmetic. Nothing wrong with the tint itself, just wear and tear from 7 years worth of the dogs going for rides scratching at the windows, drooling on the windows, etc. I never used to be a fan of tinted windows, but now any vehicle I have will have tinted windows. It does help keep the interior cooler in the summer and also protects it from the sun. It also gives added privacy and protection. I always recommend 35% all around. It's dark enough to serve its purpose and look good, but not so dark that you will have problems seeing or that you will attract unwanted attention from cops, etc.

Yesterday, I started a full exterior detail on my mom's Vibe. I washed it and clay barred it. I used Mother's Metal Polish to shine up the muffler tip, Mother's California Gold Water Spot Remover on all the exterior glass and Mother's Plastic Polish on the WeatherTech window deflectors, fog lights, headlights and taillights. Today I will be doing the Mother's 3 Step Wax and adding some Meguiar's Endurance to the tires. Pictures coming soon...
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

Finished working over my rusted brakes. Turned the rotors, hit the calipers and brackets with a steel brush and had to replace one of the rears (~$70, not too bad). Bled the brakes afterwards, barely any came out, but now that the pads have broken in I can tell the difference! :O WOW, worth every penny. I had each caliper's engagement checked and it looks like the initial soft pedal feel is the ABS system, they do engage almost immediately.

I have been considering replacing my thermostat (have ~140k), looks easy enough, also my HVAC system is slightly off, blowing in your face a bit on every setting. Has anyone every cracked into the vents?

-Sam
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

I found on my 04 Base that even when you take it off the forward facing setting (say, put it on floor/dash) the forward facing vents will still let air come through. I assumed it was a design quirk, and just a general sort of thing that happens. It doesn't necessarily "blow" through, it just kind of floats through. Kind of annoying in the winter when you get too hot, but closing the vents takes care of it at least.

Post by YotaGT »

BustedVibe wrote:I found on my 04 Base that even when you take it off the forward facing setting (say, put it on floor/dash) the forward facing vents will still let air come through. I assumed it was a design quirk, and just a general sort of thing that happens. It doesn't necessarily "blow" through, it just kind of floats through. Kind of annoying in the winter when you get too hot, but closing the vents takes care of it at least.
I have the opposite problem in the winter, I'm pretty sure I have more than a little flowthrough, and it robs the floor vents of their power. My feet were not as warm as I'd like, so I think there's something jamming the vent or maybe a loose cable connection.
I'll scower the forums to see if there are any HVAC breakdown threads.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

YotaGT wrote:
I have been considering replacing my thermostat (have ~140k), looks easy enough, also my HVAC system is slightly off, blowing in your face a bit on every setting. Has anyone every cracked into the vents?

-Sam
The vents rotate. You can direct the air anywhere you want to.
There is a cable that may need adjusting.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1004&p=43879&hilit ... ble#p43879 ...
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

vibrologist wrote:
YotaGT wrote:

-Sam
I understand how what I said could be confused, but how do expect someone not to know that :P
All in good fun, I should have worded that more clearly, I'm referring to the inner vents that do the work of switching air flow from the available paths (foot well, defrost vents, dash...)

I will check that cable out, great start thank you!
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

Those are usually vacuum lines, good luck with that.

Post by vibrologist »

YotaGT wrote:
vibrologist wrote:
YotaGT wrote:

-Sam
I understand how what I said could be confused, but how do expect someone not to know that :P
All in good fun, I should have worded that more clearly, I'm referring to the inner vents that do the work of switching air flow from the available paths (foot well, defrost vents, dash...)

Professionally I am involved in teaching. My motto: there are no stupid questions. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

YotaGT wrote:
You'll want to look at the cable on the driver's side for airflow direction adjustment -- the one in the link is for the blend door that controls the temperature, that is the cable on the passenger side.

The way the cable attaches to the HVAC box is similar to the passenger side temperature damper IIRC. It's just a little more tricky to get adjusted 100%.

You have to get the mode knob in the proper position while fiddling with the damper on the HVAC box to get the airflow going exactly where it needs to go while reinstalling the cable and clipping it down. At least I think it's something like that - last time I had to do this was on another Vibe I owned c. 2005.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

vibrologist wrote:
YotaGT wrote:
vibrologist wrote:

Professionally I am involved in teaching. My motto: there are no stupid questions. ;)
Not sure why that came out in bold and underlined but hey I understand. These questions seem to be a right of passage for every forum ha-ha!!
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

ColonelPanic wrote:
YotaGT wrote:
You'll want to look at the cable on the driver's side for airflow direction adjustment -- the one in the link is for the blend door that controls the temperature, that is the cable on the passenger side.

The way the cable attaches to the HVAC box is similar to the passenger side temperature damper IIRC. It's just a little more tricky to get adjusted 100%.

You have to get the mode knob in the proper position while fiddling with the damper on the HVAC box to get the airflow going exactly where it needs to go while reinstalling the cable and clipping it down. At least I think it's something like that - last time I had to do this was on another Vibe I owned c. 2005.
Thank you for the headsup, sounds like another funfilled step in restoring the Vibe. Simple enough, let's see if I can work my magic in getting that all down.

So you say that link is for the P.S. temperature regulation, how does it work? I wonder why they have such an adjustment?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There are no stupid questions. genvibe has always been a place where anyone can ask any question about the car without fear of getting blasted, one of the things that made this site different from so many other car forums. We have members who span the entire range of automotive expertise and knowledge, vibrologist's reply about the vents rotating was great, covered the case of possible novice user in a completely non-judgmental way

YotaGT wrote:
So you say that link is for the P.S. temperature regulation, how does it work? I wonder why they have such an adjustment?
The link is for overall temperature regulation, there is no separate driver's/passenger side temperature regulation. Perhaps referring to it as the passenger side is because the adjustment is on the passenger side, or that the temp control is on the passenger side of the three HVAC controls.

The temp control knob moves a mechanical wire linkage that moves a flapper door, the flapper door controls how much air flows through the heater core. There was a problem with some of the earlier ones where the cable wasn't adjusted properly, allowing some air to still flow though and be heated by the heater core even when the knob was in the coldest setting.

For the other cable, the air flow direction (or "mode"), the Vibe service manual instructions for adjusting the control cable are:
1. Remove the mode control cable from the clip at the HVAC module assembly (there's a pic that shows that this means at the airbox end of the cable)
2. Set the mode to Defrost
3. Hold the door lever fully rearward, clockwise
4. Install the cable to the clip
5. Test the cable for smooth operation
6. Test that the door opens fully in both directions

Hope that makes sense when you look at it in the car
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Eight years ago, I replaced the lights on the OEM radio display. A few months ago, I had two of them burn out again. I figured that the bulbs I used weren't as long life as one might hope, and finally got around to replacing them again. I was quite surprised to find that the bulbs in that radio were still the original ones. I know I replaced them in a Vibe radio, got the pictures to prove it. I guess it was a different one. I've got a CD/cassette unit from a matrix in mine, to make it easier to use a tape adapter to get an AUX input. I've also put one of those Matrix CD/tape units in my son's 03 matrix and my brothers 05 vibe, so I guess it was in one of those that I had replaced the bulbs 8 years ago. Still, to open up that radio, knowing for certain that I had done it before, it was like some dark unholy Vibe magic had reverted it back to the original bulbs Played some black sabbath on it when I got it back in the car
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

joatmon wrote:Perhaps referring to it as the passenger side is because the adjustment is on the passenger side
That was my intention. ;)

Thank you for the instructions on getting the airflow cable adjusted. I see where I went wrong so many years ago, I believe I started with the dash vent setting. I'll file that away in the event I need to adjust it again. :)

Image Image
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

vibrologist wrote:I put 4 new Monroe Quick-Struts in my Vibe. I hope for better comfort. So far there is less harshness. I used the old nuts on the front struts because the new nuts are severely ovalized. That must be the reason some folks had to deal with broken studs.
New Quick-Struts (2).JPG
New Quick-Struts (3).JPG
Just saw this now! Change out the used nuts immediately for the new "oval nuts"! They're supposed to be that shape, they go round when you use them and they serve as locking nuts (and are one time use).
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

jayoldschool wrote:
vibrologist wrote:I put 4 new Monroe Quick-Struts in my Vibe. I hope for better comfort. So far there is less harshness. I used the old nuts on the front struts because the new nuts are severely ovalized. That must be the reason some folks had to deal with broken studs.
New Quick-Struts (2).JPG
New Quick-Struts (3).JPG
Just saw this now! Change out the used nuts immediately for the new "oval nuts"! They're supposed to be that shape, they go round when you use them and they serve as locking nuts (and are one time use).
JD, I appreciate your concern. My concern is that I end up with broken studs like some have reported. They were trying to get to 28 ft-lbs and the studs popped early. Obviously, they did not go round enough. I deliberately chose to reuse the original nuts. Of course I will recheck the torque a few times. Please, don't loose any sleep over this.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

No worries, just wanted you to know why they were that shape. If you're going to stick with the used ones, I would suggest red Loctite.
Jschaf024

Post by Jschaf024 »

Did my first coolant flush from the green crud back to pink. Engine block, heater core,..everything. Feels great. Thanks for all the advise.
2005 - base. FWD
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I hid my garage door opener behind the dash today; see how I did it here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45247&p=513672#p513672
2009 Vibe Base
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

i replaced the brake pads all the way around on my vibe over the weekend. fairly easy job. i'd done the fronts before. also discovered that a shop will be doing my next brake job because i'll need rotors and mine are rusted solid to the hub. no chance in heck of getting them off by hand.

i'd like to share a cautionary tale of how i narrowly avoided serious injury:

i did this brake job in a garage with level, clean concrete floors. i used the factory jack to lift each side of the front end one at a time. after lifting off the ground, i put jack stands into place before getting to work.

when working on the passenger side front, i'd just finished jacking it up in the air, then removed the tire to get to work and also to create room to slide the jack stand into place. it was hot so i took a break for a second. i was sore from sitting on the floor and stretched my legs out. my dad was watching and told me to get my legs out from under the car. he was righ,t and i got back to sitting indian style and asked him to fetch the jack stand from the other side of the car. no sooner did i do this than the jack tipped over and the car collapsed to the ground in front of me. my left leg would have been crushed!

moral of the story: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TRUST THE FACTORY JACK IN THESE CARS. THEY ARE GARBAGE AND UNSAFE!!!
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

moral of the story: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TRUST THE FACTORY JACK IN THESE CARS. THEY ARE GARBAGE AND UNSAFE!!!
Wow! I am glad you dodged the bullet. Buy a floor jack from harbour freight or some place. You did not mention if you blocked the diagonally opposite wheel of the one you worked on.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

They don't call scissor jacks "widowmaker" jacks for nothing. The '85 Tercel came with two hidden in a cubbie hole. I felt distinctly threatened.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

My dad used to always use blocks of wood with those things. Wonder if it made it more stable or something, not having to go up as high

Post by cptnsolo77 »

That was a CLOSE one :o I have used the factory jack in my early days for changing a flat. Had the jack topple over, but my uncle expained to me, as a safety precaution lay the tire under the subframe if anything happens. I was able to get the factory jack under the car and finish.

There are to things i always do when jacking up the car:
- engage the parking brake so the car doesnt rock.
- use a real jack for anything.
- use jackstands when spending a prolonged time under the car. I dont worry about oil changes with just a good jack.
- lay your tire under the subframe for safety.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I took it to the shop today to get it ready for a trip (not Nashville, unfortunately).
1. Oil change. $32.53.
2. Front end alignment check. About 1000 miles ago I replaced all 4 struts. All angles were within spec. They did correct toe in by 1/2 a degree to make it perfect. No charge for that!!
3. AC check: They evacuated and refilled the AC. It was a 1/4 lb low. $92.00.
4. Ordered on E-bay and received the inverter. I mounted it but haven't tested it yet.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Had an amazing weekend in Nashville at the GenVibe Meet :D!

Scored my 3 highest all time gas mileage numbers :cool:!

My last 5 fillups (All 5 are from before, during and after my trip to Nashville):

Date - Odometer - Miles - Gallons - Price - MPG - City %

06.24.16 – 67,523 – 302.9 – 10.706 - $2.49 – 28.293 – 50%
06.24.16 – 67,858 – 334.7 – 8.303 - $2.49 – 40.311 – 0% <-- #1 highest all time MPG
06.26.16 – 68,167 – 310.1 – 9.247 - $2.29 – 33.535 – 20%
06.26.16 – 68,362 – 194.3 – 5.242 - $2.49 – 37.066 – 0% <-- #2 highest all time MPG
06.30.16 – 68,670 – 307.6 - 8.729 - $2.36 – 35.329 – 10% <-- #3 highest all time MPG

All Time = Fillups: 208 | Miles: 56,448.8 | Gallons: 2006.165 | Avg. MPG: 28.138 | Cost: $6220.03

The first fillup was my usual 50/50 driving around home.

The second fillup was 100% highway on the way down to Nashville. I had the cruise control set at 60 MPH the whole way (speed limit was 65-70). I hardly ever had to touch the gas or brake pedals. I did not use the air conditioning. I wanted to prove that you can get awesome gas mileage out of a 2nd gen (2009-2010) 2.4L 5-speed auto Vibe! I couldn't believe it when I did the math after filling up :D!

Doing a lot of slower and stop-and-go driving around Nashville caused my number to tank (pun intended :P!) for the third fillup.

The fourth fillup was again 100% highway, this time setting the cruise control at 65 MPH. Again, hardly ever having to touch the gas or brake pedals and not using the air conditiong.

The fifth and final fillup was 90% highway. Cruise was set at 65 MPH until I got off onto a more "country" road going through small towns where I dropped it down to 60 MPH whenever possible. Using the gas and brake more, but still never using the air conditioning.

The entire cargo area of my Vibe was pretty filled. Nothing too heavy, but still pretty full nonetheless. I had slightly less weight on the way home after getting rid of some spare parts.

Here are the final numbers for the Nashville trip:

Total miles: 1137.6
Total gallons: 31.521
Avg. MPG: 36.090

SO VERY HAPPY AND PROUD OF MY VIBE :mrgreen:!
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Just ordered a new set of Michelin pilot sport AS3 plus. 225/45R17. Should run nicely on the vibe.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

pulled nebraska out of storage tonight...

circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Put on my new 15" rims and Continental Pure contact 195/65/15:

Haven't driven much, but the steering feels lighter at low speeds and the new wheels weigh 31lb vs 39lb of the old steelies /w Yokohama Avid Envigor.
Looking forward to a smoother ride and less road noise.
Also, new Raybestos rotors and pads; cleaned and lubed the rear brakes.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Update re. 15" rims:
Having now driven on smooth and rough roads, city and highway, I can say there's a noticeable difference, but not drastic.
The ride is smoother and quieter, low speed steering is less stiff.
I'm sure some of the difference is from 11/32" of tread vs 4/32".
There's plenty of grip and steering response seems the same, at least in sane maneuvers.
I'd guess I'd lose an edge in autocross, but if I wanted the ultimate in handling I'd be driving RWD or AWD after all.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

circuitsmith wrote:Update re. 15" rims:
Having now driven on smooth and rough roads, city and highway, I can say there's a noticeable difference, but not drastic.
The ride is smoother and quieter, low speed steering is less stiff.
I'm sure some of the difference is from 11/32" of tread vs 4/32".
There's plenty of grip and steering response seems the same, at least in sane maneuvers.
I'd guess I'd lose an edge in autocross, but if I wanted the ultimate in handling I'd be driving RWD or AWD after all.
well, you do have an extra 1/2" of sidewall with 195-65-15 vs 205-55-16
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

lowered on prokits

projector retrofit

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My Vibe turned over 69,000 miles this morning!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This morning I discovered my mom's Vibe is leaking windshield washer fluid :|. Tomorrow I'll be removing the front bumper cover to pinpoint the exact problem...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Removed the front bumper cover of my mom's Vibe today. The good news is the tank itself was still full of windshield washer fluid, but when I added a little bit, it started leaking, so there has to be a crack in the top of the tank or the filler neck. I will eventually order a new tank since it's only about $26.00, but I'm not too concerned about it right now.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My mom's Vibe turned over 69,000 miles this past week. Yesterday, I washed her Vibe, did a full interior detail on it and touched up the paint on the front calipers.
plausipo

Post by plausipo »

Passenger side near airbag has a loud tapping noise. After searching the internet, found that its the air inlet actuator. Press the recirculating button the noise gone. Ordered air inlet actuator from rockauto, waiting for part to come. This is what I'm going to do:
Instrument panel compartment mentioned in the diagram meant the glove box, not really the intrument panel that a lot of people have in mind :!:
Will try using 7/32 or 5.5mm socket (if I can find one) to loosen the screw then use hand to finish the turns and take them out and reverse to install the new one.
According to online manual, labor hour estimate is 0.5hr :|
Will update this when done.

Update*
Operation successful in 40 minutes.
It's one of those days I wish I have smaller hands, I wear ML golf glove and is tight feeling around the upper screw.
Disengage the lower white connector (not shown in diagram) by taking it out together with the clip, then push the lower tab of the connector to release it to give a little more space.
Wear a nitride glove, that gives more grip on the 7/32 socket. I was able to loosen the screws using my hand.
Be patient, I read people losing the socket into the "abyss" and was never found, may be you can wrap a string around the socket with duct tape to retrieve it when it dropped.
Last edited by plausipo on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
04 Base AT
Change log: Front control arms, windshield, front pads and rotors, spark plugs, PCV valve, belt tensioner and belt, caliper, front pads and rotors
jolt

Post by jolt »

I changed the the transmission filter and fluid, along with spark plugs and PCV valve. Spark plugs and PCV valve came out easy with the engine warmed up. Cleaned the pan and magnets for the 5 speed AT. The filter is a fiber/paper media and not just a screen. For AT fluid, I used Mag1 low viscosity full synthetic part# 64092. This fluid meets the JWS 3324 standard which is the standard that toyota's WS fluid falls under. The Mag1 fluid is WS rated. I picked it up at Amazon awhile back and paid $23 for a 6 qt case. It shifts and works great. Here is a link if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-64092-6PK-Mu ... mag1+64092

I see that the price has gone up but it is still cheaper than the Toyota fluid and may be easier to get a hold of for some people. Watch for the low-vis fluid because Mag1 also makes a regular full synthetic AT fluid that is not WS rated. Your looking for part # 64092
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I finally got a glimpse of under the valve cover this weekend. It needed a timing chain tensioner (due to the typical oil leaks) and my OCD mandated I visually confirm the plunger was extended before starting it up. So a 15 minute job turned into half of the day. :lol: After 14 years it needed a new valve cover gasket anyway.

I feared a sludge monster seeing how this car spent most of its life being short tripped, but luckily that wasn't the case. A little varnish is fine with me.

The gasket was still somewhat pliable and came off in one piece.

Cleaned up a little and with the new Fel-Pro gasket (P/N VS50542R.)

Replaced the tensioner with an ACDelco OEM (P/N 88969018)

I let it sit overnight for the sealant at the timing chain cover to cure and fired it up this morning. Yay, I didn't kill it. After the test drive, I brought it back home and changed the oil.

Slowly but surely getting her back into shape. Next up needs to be a belt and tensioner.

Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The 1ZZ is non-interference, so the worse case scenario if the tensioner wasn't extended would be your timing might be off. I have set timing with the engine in the bay and it's not so bad. I have had to get a visual on the tensioner before on a road trip to make sure it had extended because it did so silently and my stage 1 cams meant it was interference.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow it has a been a BUSY month for me and the Vibe. I replaced the fuel pump, and cleaned out the IAC valve last week. Today I replaced the driver side control arm.WHAT A PAIN !!!! Had to raise the tranny to clear one bolt. This one gave me a HARD time all the way through. 6 hours later I have a new control arm :lol: I had a vibration during braking even after I replaced the inner/outer tie rods this spring. Also when I would apply the brake lightly the steering wheel would move to the left. NArrowed it down to a bad control arm bushing. Dont do this one at home if you dont have to....now for a glass of wine 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Had my mechanic put on a new intake manifold gasket and replace the PCV. I went to the Toyota dealer and picked up the newest design of gasket (orange) and the correct size valve. $271 for the entire service to include cleaning out any observed carbon deposits. My mechanic said he found very little carbon and when I asked him about using the Delphi ignition coils, he emphatically stated that I should not use anything other than the Denso ignition coils. He has seen problems with just about every other coil used in Vibes, Toyotas and especially Nissans. I'm now glad my Delphi order fell through a few weeks ago. Looks like I'll be getting the more expensive Denso ignition coils when I feel my wallet is heavy enough to handle it.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My mom's Vibe turned over 70,000 miles yesterday!