What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
vibenvy

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by vibenvy »

Did the 70,000 mile oil changes on both Vibes yesterday, along with the usual checks of tire pressure, other fluids, etc. Everything looks great as usual!

My Vibe actually hasn't quite hit 70,000 miles yet, but it will later today :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MaxxVibe

Post by MaxxVibe »

vibenvy wrote:As promised earlier this week, here's the new pedals...

Please excuse the dirty carpet and floor mat. My interior really needs a full detail :oops:.

can somebody enlighten me with a part number or more information on where I can find these pedals or covers? which is it?
2009 Vibe GT/Factory Bermuda Bay Blue/5 speed shiftable automatic/ two tone leather combo interior/18x7 factory polished wheels/rear spoiler/ Monsoon Premium sound system/ Grafxwerks badging/20% tint all around
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaxxVibe wrote:can somebody enlighten me with a part number or more information on where I can find these pedals or covers? which is it?
I got them on eBay. Unfortunately, I could only find one set currently listed and I'm not sure if they're the correct ones or not. You could always contact the seller and ask if the box has a part number on it (#PTS22-33070).

They are covers. The OEM brake pedal rubber pad is removed and replaced with the stainless steel one. The accelerator pedal plastic cover is removed and replaced with the stainless steel one.
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Changed my oil for the first time! Put some mobil 1 in it. Always run synthetic in my cars.
What's the normal change interval for this car, anyway? On my last the factory was 5k, I'd go somewhat over that because of the synth.

Also, the dealership I bought the car from cleaned the interior fine, except for the hidden places, like around the spare tire pan. While cleaning around there (I don't have pictures of that), I could see a little underneath the rear seats and thought it looked a bit dirty.

A bit dirty was an understatement.
What's missing from this photo is about $5 of quarters and other change, and all the damn hair clips I found under it. And if you notice in the picture, yes, that IS a knife! Why a knife was in there I don't know but I'm surprised I didn't find a body or some drugs as well.

Figured I'd clean the back seats and foot area as well.

Now that it's all minty fresh, all I need now is some actual floor mats and a rear seat cover to keep it clean!

And, picked up this nice rear cargo mat from a junkyard, it was over $20 but worth it. I had it out while cleaning and touched it up a bit.

And, as silly as this may be, but the lack of trim there bothered me, so I grabbed a new one from the yard. They gave it to me for free. Now it looks a bit better.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

bigdoug wrote:Changed my oil for the first time! Put some mobil 1 in it. Always run synthetic in my cars.
What's the normal change interval for this car, anyway? On my last the factory was 5k, I'd go somewhat over that because of the synth.
Owner's manual intervals were 3 months/3,000 miles for city/short trip and 12 months/7,500 miles for highway conditions.

Somewhere near 6 months/5k seems to work out well for me on dino, but I may change it sooner on special occasions. :lol:

Nice job on the cleanup by the way! Looks great!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jolt

Post by jolt »

bigdoug wrote: And, as silly as this may be, but the lack of trim there bothered me, so I grabbed a new one from the yard. They gave it to me for free. Now it looks a bit better.
You may want to take care of that little rust spot next to the trim before it gets to bad. The paint on these cars is thin and soft. That rust spot was probably caused by a chip in the paint and now it is rusting under the paint. This can get bad fast and you have to stay on top of these things before they get out of hand. You got it looking good and it looks like the car is in good hands.
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

jolt wrote:
bigdoug wrote: And, as silly as this may be, but the lack of trim there bothered me, so I grabbed a new one from the yard. They gave it to me for free. Now it looks a bit better.
You may want to take care of that little rust spot next to the trim before it gets to bad. The paint on these cars is thin and soft. That rust spot was probably caused by a chip in the paint and now it is rusting under the paint. This can get bad fast and you have to stay on top of these things before they get out of hand. You got it looking good and it looks like the car is in good hands.
I have been planning on taking care of the rust spots on the car, there are several but none have gotten too far.

Do you know a good way of dealing with them? Rust remover, or sandpaper?

Also, does anyone know the color code for the silver paint on the 03-08 base vibes, so I can get the right touchup paint?
I'd rather repaint the entire car but don't have the money for a professional job.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The color code is on a sticker inside the door of the glove box. On little spots like that, that the paint has not bubbled up, I would just put some touch up clear paint on it and try to seal it off from getting water in the chip. If the paint is bubbled, a small pick tool will remove the loose paint speck and then use the pick to dig out the rust - like your getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist. Scrap the rust out with the pick. Dry out with alcohol, touch up color paint dab with tooth pick, and then clear to seal it. You do not want to sand the paint because it is very thin to began with and sanding will not get the rust out with out removing a lot of paint around the spot, making a disaster out of it. Waxing with a good quality wax can also help seal small chips in the paint so they don't rust. Keeping the car waxed will help prevent chips in the paint and rust spots from forming.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Finally found the plastic clips for the two tone grey plastic exterior on amazon. Cost me $9 for a bag of 25 instead of the $6-9 a piece that GM dealerships near me wanted...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040 ... UTF8&psc=1

Bought and installed a subwoofer, finally... Sounds great! Hard mounted the bass control knob inside the shift console storage cubby and hid the wiring under the passenger trim and behind the dash. Super secret ninja knob...

Last but not least I adjusted the E-brake so that it actually holds the car on a hill without me having to pull the lever all the way to the last click.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Hmm. Color code is WA-891K, which is Satellite. Which I think I remember seeing on the paperwork for the car.

Haven't seen that code with duplicolor though. :/
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Gave her a nice coat of wax and a wipedown of the engine bay.

2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

Took advantage of the nice day and having access to the vibe (daughter home on fall break). Oil change, tire rotation and changed out the intake manifold gasket (she was getting the cold weather CEL). Side effect was a coolant change. I also took the maf out and cleaned that with the spray can stuff. Put on a new pressure cap as well. Didn't like how the old one sealed. Took it for a nice spirited ride after that. No leaks, temp right where it should be and good heat. Seemed peppy enough (for a base 05 with auto trans). Finished her off with a new cabin air filter.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

It's been a busy few weeks. I've slowly been giving the car some 14th birthday presents. :D

- Sanded/polished/sealed headlights again.

- From the "it can't possibly look any worse" department...

I saw that Meijer had Duplicolor's version of plastidip on sale, so...

Went with matte black metallic. Looks rough in spots, it was my first time using such a product. But my main objective was not so much aesthetics, instead it was to cover the exposed base coat with something until I have the means for a better solution. The whole freakin' car needs a repaint. :?

- New OEM serpentine belt and tensioner. Good riddance marbles-in-a-cup rattle. It also cleared up a grinding noise it made when cold and under load (in gear/brakes applied.)

- Ordered a new ACDelco blower motor resistor today as the LO setting has taken a dump. I'll be putting that in Tuesday evening, hopefully that's what it is.

Image Image
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

MrEd wrote:Took advantage of the nice day and having access to the vibe (daughter home on fall break). Oil change, tire rotation and changed out the intake manifold gasket (she was getting the cold weather CEL). Side effect was a coolant change. I also took the maf out and cleaned that with the spray can stuff. Put on a new pressure cap as well. Didn't like how the old one sealed. Took it for a nice spirited ride after that. No leaks, temp right where it should be and good heat. Seemed peppy enough (for a base 05 with auto trans). Finished her off with a new cabin air filter.
Daughter took it back to school last night, up the PA turnpike. She is pleased. Said it "got away from her" a few times (speed wise). Had been complaining that it was sluggish and reluctant to downshift under load. All is well now.
Owim

Post by Owim »

ColonelPanic wrote:- New OEM serpentine belt and tensioner. Good riddance marbles-in-a-cup rattle.
was that when starting to accelerate? mine does that too, good to know what it is
2009 2.4 AWD
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Owim wrote:
ColonelPanic wrote:- New OEM serpentine belt and tensioner. Good riddance marbles-in-a-cup rattle.
was that when starting to accelerate? mine does that too, good to know what it is
I was only hearing it at idle once the engine was hot. The noise wasn't very pronounced, you could barely even hear it with the hood closed so I don't know if it was making any noise on acceleration.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

And yay, I have all four fan speeds again.

Replacing the blower motor resistor wasn't a terrible job, just awkward to get to. Had it going again in minutes. Only needed a socket, 1/4" universal joint adapter and a spinner handle.

Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Got my transmission fluid swapped out for the second time. First time was at 59,000 at a Toyota dealer. They flushed it out. This time, my local transmission shop (highly rated by customers) said that they ONLY do fluid exchanges and never do or recommend flushes. This time my WS fluid was exchanged after 45,000 miles. Since it wasn't a flush, 2 quarts of old fluid remained in the torque converter. The shop recommends fluid exchanges every 25,000 miles. I think that is seriously excessive for WS fluid. I'll return to them after 50,000 again, or when I observe my fluid beginning to darken like I did this time. My shop does a free inspection. For $160 after tax, they do the fluid exchange and put on a new filter kit. I'm not sure if that included a new screen, but it did (of course) include a new transmission gasket as they examine what they can see with the pan off. They told me that everything looked great and that the screen and magnet were completely free of any debris. When I went to Toyota a few years back, they wanted $250 for their service with WS fluid.
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

New clock spring arrived today. Stay tuned for that repair story :)
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Just finished a road trip of 1.2k miles with My 05 frosty (171k miles). The metal shield above the exhaust pipe came loose.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Resprayed the dip on the roof from the moonroof forward as I wasn't too thrilled with the way that section looked from the last time. The rest of the roof doesn't look all that great either but it's an area not as easily noticed. :lol:

Gave the car a good pre-winter waxing and tried to shine up that faded old cladding a bit.

Finally, I did another drain & fill on the power steering reservoir using cheap Dexron III.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Wow. :lol:

I regularly scan for codes with the ScanGauge. I noticed sometimes after I fuel up if I didn't crank the cap a bunch of clicks that the ScanGauge no longer reported ready status. If I tighten the gas cap it would go back to ready after a couple hundred miles. If not, it would probably throw an evap code (it's done that once so far.)

Figured it was time to do something about it.

Image Image
MrEd

Post by MrEd »

Replaced the clockspring in the daughter's 05 base today. Write up in the DIY section.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Well, it's that time of year again... I installed the winter wheels and tires on both Vibes last Saturday. Bring on the snow!
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

changed my oil (9,500 miles on full synthetic. shame on me!) and did a trans drain/fill for the 3rd time in a year. what a difference every time! will probably do another in a year or so (15-20,000 miles.)
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I put my winter wheels on. MSW 15" wheels with General Altimax Arctic. I bought them used in 2014 and they look better than the 3-season wheels. They are ever more corroding.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Ha! Winter wheels...

What did I do to my Vibe today? I drove it in shorts. ;) :D
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
dbbspider

Post by dbbspider »

The u shaped hose that connects to the power steering reservoir had a small leak. I removed it, cleaned it up and reinstalled using screw clamps instead of the stock ones. Let's see if it works
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Just like so many others here .... I put the winter 16" steelies on my son's Vibe :D Noticed his rear heat shield over the muffler is completely free and just laying there unattached to the body :x . That explained the rattle when I pulled it in the garage. Will get it reattached real soon.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced alternator at 212K or 13 years :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Owim

Post by Owim »

Wasted $416 getting the multiswitch replaced hoping it would fix the cruise control
2009 2.4 AWD
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Ouch. I don't trust a mechanic that guesses.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Cleaned some paint chips that start to show rust. Touched them up with ACDelco paint (good matching). I noticed that the original paint on the frame of the door is very thin. Some corners and creases started to show rust.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Last monday I dropped her off at the body shop to get repaired after getting rear ended... Original estimate was $1800, then jumped to $3100. Insurance company called me later thursday to say they are totaling her. So I spent friday looking for a shop to fix her up enough to continue driving on a salvage title... Not my best week in the car dept.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pr5Vs
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Finally got around to replacing the windshield washer fluid reservoir on my mom's Vibe yesterday. Everything went really quickly and easily.
mysteriousem

Post by mysteriousem »

Today I flushed the coolant. I was a little nervous to do this myself, but I found a lot of great information here and on YouTube. The internet is such a wonderful resource. :) It all went off without a hitch! I think it very well might have been the original coolant, so it was probably at least two years overdue. Glad to have it done now!

I also ended up changing the spark plugs the other day around the same time I changed the transmission fluid and cleaned the battery terminals.

Next stop: Brakes. I was warned last time that my back rotors are on their last legs, so I think I'm just going to totally replace both brake pads and rotors on front and back. When I first got the Vibe (before I had the brake pads replaced) it actually stopped really well, but the brakes were never quite the same after I had the mechanic do them. I'm hoping that by doing them myself, I can get them to feel as great as they did when the car was given to me.

Here's hoping! But that'll be a project for next week and my next paycheck. :P
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I replaced the starter after my Vibe wouldn't start. The problem was not the starter itself, I found that it was the braided copper wire that goes from the lug through the case to the starter itself. What a stupid design. It just corrodes, crumbles and breaks. A perfectly good starter, useless because of that braid. I'm used to starters that have a solid metal piece. One push start, one brand new Delco starter, and 20 minutes work... back on the road.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

jayoldschool wrote:I replaced the starter after my Vibe wouldn't start. The problem was not the starter itself, I found that it was the braided copper wire that goes from the lug through the case to the starter itself. What a stupid design. It just corrodes, crumbles and breaks. A perfectly good starter, useless because of that braid. I'm used to starters that have a solid metal piece. One push start, one brand new Delco starter, and 20 minutes work... back on the road.
I think it was Derf who had the same issue a year or so ago.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Gave my mom's Vibe a long overdue detail today. I took it to the car wash and sprayed it off, then brought it home and pulled it in the garage. I detailed the interior first. Next, I went over the whole exterior with a wet towel followed by a dry one. Finally, I put a coat of Mother's Cleaner Wax on it. It looks amazing :cool:! Next weekend mine will hopefully be getting the same treatment.

Also, last week, both Vibes turned over 72,000 miles!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Installed some Kool-Vue chrome front and rear interior door handles and was able to successfully transfer the Grafx Werks regular red door lock overlays as well!

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Well, call me crazy or greedy and just can't get enough Vibe's for my fleet. Drove to NJ to pick up this poor 2003 Vibe GT which will need some engine work. Price was right and it was well taken tare of. I'm now part of the THREE Vibe member club :D This will be parked until summer when I'll have time to operate on it.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Well, call me crazy or greedy and just can't get enough Vibe's for my fleet. Drove to NJ to pick up this poor 2003 Vibe GT which will need some engine work. Price was right and it was well taken tare of. I'm now part of the THREE Vibe member club :D This will be parked until summer when I'll have time to operate on it.

Congrats on the new family member Tim! Time to update that signature picture :D!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

After a couple of weeks banging on the glove box to get it started, it was time to replace the blower motor. 30 min start to finish. Definitely one of the easieist repairs I have done on the Vibe. TYC replacement for 40 bucks on Amazon 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOCC0Iwknc&t=90s
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Replaced the intake gasket and cleared the P0171 code on this warm sunny day.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Today I found fresh oil surrounding the expletive deleted timing chain tensioner that has been in there for all of 3114 miles. :evil: I had been checking periodically for the first 1k or so, never noticed any seepage so I thought it was OK. :?

Changed the oil today. Switched her over to Maxlife 5W-30 synblend and used a 2ZZ spec Wix filter. Maybe the high mileage oil will help with the seepage. :lol:

Image Image
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Being 12 years old now and needing a new exhaust, I took my AWD Vibe in for an evaluation- fix her or call it quits even though she hasn't even got 100,000 mi. on the clock yet.

Turns out that other than a whine in the rear differential, she just needs the exhaust replaced. Leaks in two spots: just before the cat and the notorious joint before the muffler.

RockAuto sells the single piece OE AWD replacement pipe including the catalytic converter by Eastern Catalytic for $247 plus shipping. Decided to replace muffler, too- letting the shop order that and install both.

I'll consider throwing bearings at the rear diff in the Spring. She's also due for new tires and the alloy wheels need painting.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

ehoff121 wrote:Being 12 years old now and needing a new exhaust, I took my AWD Vibe in for an evaluation- fix her or call it quits even though she hasn't even got 100,000 mi. on the clock yet.

Turns out that other than a whine in the rear differential, she just needs the exhaust replaced. Leaks in two spots: just before the cat and the notorious joint before the muffler.

RockAuto sells the single piece OE AWD replacement pipe including the catalytic converter by Eastern Catalytic for $247 plus shipping. Decided to replace muffler, too- letting the shop order that and install both.

I'll consider throwing bearings at the rear diff in the Spring. She's also due for new tires and the alloy wheels need painting.
I'm in the same situation with low mileage and a bad AWD cat pipe, I've been back and forth on buying the Toyota exhaust part. I'll look at the Eastern Catalytic part, thanks for the tip.

I had front struts done in December, with KYB struts (p/n 235703/235704), Toyota mounts (p/n 48609-01050) and Febest brand boots (p/n TSHB-007) from Amazon. They take up the bumps and feel solid, but body roll is slightly increased on turns.
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

RadioFreeVibe wrote:I'm in the same situation with low mileage and a bad AWD cat pipe, I've been back and forth on buying the Toyota exhaust part. I'll look at the Eastern Catalytic part, thanks for the tip.

I had front struts done in December, with KYB struts (p/n 235703/235704), Toyota mounts (p/n 48609-01050) and Febest brand boots (p/n TSHB-007) from Amazon. They take up the bumps and feel solid, but body roll is slightly increased on turns.
You'll want the rear gasket and likely the clamp (I think the converter comes with the front gasket- will verify when it gets here).

Re: struts - was thinking of doing them, too, but also replacing some of the suspension parts at the same time, e.g., tie rods, ball joints, etc.: http://www.moogparts.com/find-my-part/f ... ntiac~Vibe
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

ehoff121 wrote:You'll want the rear gasket and likely the clamp (I think the converter comes with the front gasket- will verify when it gets here).

Re: struts - was thinking of doing them, too, but also replacing some of the suspension parts at the same time, e.g., tie rods, ball joints, etc.: http://www.moogparts.com/find-my-part/f ... ntiac~Vibe
Ehoff, when you get the Eastern Catalytic cat pipe, start an AWD Exhaust topic so we can discuss. Thanks for the tips on those extra parts I would have overlooked. I'm also wondering about new spring/bolts for the front and back of that pipe, do you know the Toyota p/n for those AWD exhaust springs/bolts?
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Installed a new pair of Strongarm 4079 liftgate supports. They fit perfectly and work great, plus they're American made. Around $43 plus tax. Yay, it opens fully all by itself now. :shock:

The glass needs a pair too, but it never gets used so those will wait.

Image Image