What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
ColonelPanic

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by ColonelPanic »

Looks good and great choice in tires. 8-)
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

After doing a ridiculous amount of research, I ordered Autobahn Kraftwerks (OBX Racing) stainless steel accelerator and brake pedals. They fit really well and add a little more sportiness and color to the interior. I'll post pictures within the next day or two...

I replaced the front passenger seat back panel on my mom's Vibe. I had very unsuccessfully tried to remove the peeling sticker from the original one. I ended up scratching the crap out of it which really bugged me, so I finally got around to ordering and installing a new one.

I also finally got around to ordering new radio knobs for both Vibes. I got mine installed today. Everything went pretty smoothly.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Got a link to the pedals?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Dairgo wrote:Got a link to the pedals?
Sure do ;)!
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote:After doing a ridiculous amount of research, I ordered Autobahn Kraftwerks (OBX Racing) stainless steel accelerator and brake pedals. They fit really well and add a little more sportiness and color to the interior. I'll post pictures within the next day or two...
Those look good! They will dress up the interior for sure. I really liked the ones I got for my Mustang as they dressed up the solid black interior a lot.

I saw some nice SS pedals and sill plates on an 02? Lexus IS at the Pick a Part yesterday, and hoped they would fit our Vibes, but when I tried them on a Matrix they had, it was no go. :(
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Those pedals look nice, better than our bland ones. Let me know how "easy" the easy installation is, might have to add those to the list of things to do.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:Those look good! They will dress up the interior for sure. I really liked the ones I got for my Mustang as they dressed up the solid black interior a lot.

I saw some nice SS pedals and sill plates on an 02? Lexus IS at the Pick a Part yesterday, and hoped they would fit our Vibes, but when I tried them on a Matrix they had, it was no go. :(
The IS setup is one of the ones I researched, but didn't seem it would work as you found out :(.
Dairgo wrote:Those pedals look nice, better than our bland ones. Let me know how "easy" the easy installation is, might have to add those to the list of things to do.
The accelerator simply slides onto the OEM pedal and is held in place by a rubber edge.

The OEM brake pedal pad is removed and replaced with the new pedal. It too is held on by a rubber edge.

These are not the cheap universal pedal covers. They're actual pedals made specifically for Toyota Camrys. Very nice, especially for the price!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

HVAC skank season has returned! Air coming from the vents smelled horrible to the point where I had to buy some Ozium to spray into the outside intake to get me through the ride home. It was a weird aroma, something akin to caulk or sealant.

I bought another one of those Meguiar's air freshener bombs while I was at it, I'll set that sucker off here in a few. New Fresh Breeze cabin air filter on order as well.

Later this week I have some new replacement goodies from GM arriving to post about. :D

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Bombed it with Meguiar's Spiced Wood air referesher last night. The immediate vicinity of my house smelled pretty darn good. :lol:

My goodies came in yesterday, a couple days before the expected delivery date. :)

Replaced the cabin air filter today. And...

I have both driver and passenger front window runs that need to be replaced. Today I replaced the passenger's side, that is the mangled piece of rubbish in the above pic. Figured I'd tackle that side first to get the hang of it before doing the driver's side. I have very low tolerance for noise so if it's going to make it, I'd rather have that side doing it. :lol: Wanted to make sure I could get it right. Ran out of daylight so I'll do the driver's side later.

derf, if you're reading this, I can't thank you enough for your awesome youtube how-to for this particular subject. It was most helpful, especially the soapy water trick!

Can't wait to see how much quieter it will be once they're both on. The Vibe is nowhere near as quiet as the other two in the fleet but hopefully this cuts the wind noise nicely and we'll just be back to the usual ridiculous amounts of road noise..

And at some point soon, the driver's seat gets removed (again.) More on that later.

Image Image
plausipo

Post by plausipo »

Changed belt tensioner and belt, resolved intermittent growling sound, CAD250 in Quebec - 2004 base AT -
04 Base AT
Change log: Front control arms, windshield, front pads and rotors, spark plugs, PCV valve, belt tensioner and belt, caliper, front pads and rotors
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

As promised earlier this week, here's the new pedals...

Please excuse the dirty carpet and floor mat. My interior really needs a full detail :oops:.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Installed the new PCV valve.

I also decided to get a flashlight and look down in the oil filler hole better to look for sludge, since the old PCV valve had some build up on it. It doesn't look too bad, but there is a little sludge/gunk. At 148k with unknown history (bought at 143k), it could be worse. Mobil claims that M1 will clean up sludge, so we'll see if that comes out true.

I admit I waited way longer than I should have for an engine oil change, but I was watching the oil level and it kept looking good in color. Plus, I added about 3/4 of a quart of conventional Pennzoil (yellow bottle) when it was low after the 3000+ mile drive home, after I replacing the timing chain tensioner & o-ring that had a leak. I admit, shame on me for waiting so long to oil change after I bought it, but it's just one of those things. I kept wanting to do it myself, but then I found I wasn't getting it done. I finally had a nearby, REAL garage do it for $14, with me supplying the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil & M1 filter I bought a couple months ago. Screw doing it myself. I'll have them do it. In 6 months I'll get it changed again for good measure, even if I won't many miles on it.

Anyhow, it looks to be minor, manageable sludge that may eventually clear up using Mobil 1 High Mileage with 6 month oil change intervals. It's minor build up around edges/corners of a few places, not big clumps like you'll see in pictures online if you search "engine sludge". :lol:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Finished up window run replacement:

Closeup of the damage in the driver's side corner. Eek! :shock:

Taking the old girl to work tomorrow to see how things have improved. 8-)

Image Image
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Took my Vibe in today at my mechanics to have them check out the P042 code, which happened on Tues and by Wed, the code cleared itself...My Vibe now has 123,000 and had 97,000 when I bought it last year...Guess they couldn't do anything since there was no code present but we both came to the conclusion that the burning off method is slowly wearing thin, so I guess I will be looking for a new cat sometime pretty soon...Anyways, he did point out that the inner front brake pad on drivers side was sooper thin, and he did say both rotors were looking kinda junky, so he told me just to buy 2 new rotors, since they are pretty inexpensive...$31.00 a pop...Went to Auto Zone and bought 2 new rotors and front brakes....Came home and jumped right on it and got the job done... :D Next on my list is to drain the tranny fluid and put in some fresh stuff...Any pointers on which fluid to buy??
I have a 2003 Vibe GT (manual)...Also wondering if I should clean/replace the OCV filter as well as I have seen a few posts about that....Thanks!!!!
Attachments
Vibr GT 001.JPG
Vibr GT 001.JPG (115.05 KiB) Viewed 17595 times
trb

Post by trb »

LoneWolf wrote:Took my Vibe in today at my mechanics to have them check out the P042 code, which happened on Tues and by Wed, the code cleared itself...My Vibe now has 123,000 and had 97,000 when I bought it last year...Guess they couldn't do anything since there was no code present but we both came to the conclusion that the burning off method is slowly wearing thin, so I guess I will be looking for a new cat sometime pretty soon...Anyways, he did point out that the inner front brake pad on drivers side was sooper thin, and he did say both rotors were looking kinda junky, so he told me just to buy 2 new rotors, since they are pretty inexpensive...$31.00 a pop...Went to Auto Zone and bought 2 new rotors and front brakes....Came home and jumped right on it and got the job done... :D Next on my list is to drain the tranny fluid and put in some fresh stuff...Any pointers on which fluid to buy??
I have a 2003 Vibe GT (manual)...Also wondering if I should clean/replace the OCV filter as well as I have seen a few posts about that....Thanks!!!!
Looks good! I need to do the brakes on my 03 GT also, just gotta get the parts now. As for trans fluid, I used the Pennzoil Syncromesh in mine and it works well. But any of the fluids MWR recommends are good, just base it on what you want. http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index ... ath=25_342

I was able to put some bling on my son's 06 courtesy of Carrie - vibenvy!

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yay! Glad it arrived safely Thomas! Looks great :cool:!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

trb wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:Took my Vibe in today at my mechanics to have them check out the P042 code, which happened on Tues and by Wed, the code cleared itself...My Vibe now has 123,000 and had 97,000 when I bought it last year...Guess they couldn't do anything since there was no code present but we both came to the conclusion that the burning off method is slowly wearing thin, so I guess I will be looking for a new cat sometime pretty soon...Anyways, he did point out that the inner front brake pad on drivers side was sooper thin, and he did say both rotors were looking kinda junky, so he told me just to buy 2 new rotors, since they are pretty inexpensive...$31.00 a pop...Went to Auto Zone and bought 2 new rotors and front brakes....Came home and jumped right on it and got the job done... :D Next on my list is to drain the tranny fluid and put in some fresh stuff...Any pointers on which fluid to buy??
Looks good! I need to do the brakes on my 03 GT also, just gotta get the parts now. As for trans fluid, I used the Pennzoil Syncromesh in mine and it works well. But any of the fluids MWR recommends are good, just base it on what you want. http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/index ... ath=25_342

I was able to put some bling on my son's 06 courtesy of Carrie - vibenvy!

There ya go...Add a little touch of chrome :)
I did see the synchromesh at Autozone but wanted to make sure first and to see if there was something better to put in...Saw the price and was like what?? Lol I think that is more than what I paid for a quart of tranny fluid for my Odyssey...hahaha
Thanks for the link and will probably just go for the Pennzoil...
Was looking for an automatic, since I drive for a living, but when I saw this Vibe, I was like NICE (gotta have it)...The body style and color was what lured me in, and does have a moon roof which is a plus...
Since I got it, I have tinted all windows except front drivers and passenger door(s), window visors, new passenger side door mirror and so far replaced front door speakers with pioneer, added a Pioneer 10" compact woofer under the drivers seat, Pioneer amp for woofer and Pioneer head unit...Will be getting around to replacing the back door speakers as well as soon as this weather co-operates...hahaha
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced serpentine belt with gatorback belt. The old one was a gatorback as well and in great shape, no cracks etc but after 5 years but it was time to change. 13 bucks on amazon.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I finally went to a self service car wash after almost 4 months of ownership. I paid $5 for 8-2/3 minutes. (What a strange amount of time!)

It was so dirty, it needs a second going over really, having missed a few spots down low, but oh well. It's a lot better than it was!
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Hit a rock, punctured a tire, and bent a rim.

Rim: $85 (ebay, oem) + $29 shipping
Tire: $80 to 90 (pro-rate from $150 to get Continental DWS extreme contact)

Made the trip home almost 300 miles, no incidents... and boom could not avoid a ******* rock. ruined a night. Add to that a nearly flat donut.. so much fun.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Dairgo wrote:Hit a rock, punctured a tire, and bent a rim.

Made the trip home almost 300 miles, no incidents... and boom could not avoid a ******* rock. ruined a night. Add to that a nearly flat donut.. so much fun.
My mom hit a chunk of cement near a road work area a long time ago at night, in town in her 91 Corolla doing about 30-40mph. Ruined the tire of course, but didn't hurt the (steel) rim. I don't recall if she had road hazard (did it even exist in the early 90s?). I remember she complained to the city but they basically said "not our problem".
2003 Vibe Base A/T
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Installed a new harmonic balancer. The rubber insert on my old one was more like plastic and the hub has a groove where the front main seal is so it was probably the source of my oil leak.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Dairgo wrote:Hit a rock, punctured a tire, and bent a rim.

That sucks Ian :(! I bet you'll be checking your spare more often now though :P!

Both our Vibes turned over 66,000 miles this past Thursday!
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Speaking of spares, mine is the probably original donut. It keeps pressure fine though. Since it's buried down in the storage compartment, it's not sun exposed or anything at least. Now and then I check it. I checked it before the long drive home after I bought it, and I've checked it once since then. I keep a 12V air compressor in the car for emergencies though, so I can always inmflate it before installing it, if need be.

I have 3 roadside assistance plans though right now. One with my car insurance (Progressive), one with my credit card company, and GoodSam (the RV people) randomly gave me a free year of roadside too recently. I had their roadside one year a while back for my camper van since it was a true RV and required a little more care and more specific flatbed to load it, due to it's length behind the rear axle.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Pulled apart my dash today looking for the cause of an electrical short that was making the TAIL fuse blow constantly leaving me with no rear running lights... Luckily it was an easy fix. One of the stereo power wires had rubbed through its heat shrink where I soldered it, little bit of E tape and I was back to normal. Also did an oil change since I was about 200 miles overdue. Pennzoil full synthetic and a filter every 5000 miles.

On a more annoying note, I tore the front bumper cover off for the umpteenth time to replace the headlight, which has been cracked since last summer. Every headlight I get in the mail seems to be broken or won't adjust. LPT don't EVER buy a headlight from the manufacturer Eagle Eyes... This is the third light I've been sent and it was broken out of the box, I didn't even bother installing it as 2 pieces of plastic were busted off and loosely flying around inside the housing. If anyone has a good source for a passenger headlight that would be cool...
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

treesleavedents wrote:Pulled apart my dash today looking for the cause of an electrical short that was making the TAIL fuse blow constantly leaving me with no rear running lights... Luckily it was an easy fix
I had similar problems in a 1978 Dodge van. The backup lights and running lights would blow fuses. I ended up running new positive wires and the fuses never blew again. The way I spliced in the wires, they were still fuse protected. God knows where the problem was in the body.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced AC compressor and filter dryer. Pretty straightforward, troubleshooting to find out WHAT the problem was challenging. Im letitng a local shop handle the rest 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Replaced the PCV valve. SO EASY!!

Still trying to figure out my noisy warmup. I start the car and let it run, it starts off really loud (like an exhaust leak) then as the engine warms up it quiets down. Inside the cabin smells a bit of exhaust? When I accelerate I get lifter like noise. It's probably all related, I'm thinking maybe the exhaust manifold gasket?

Any ideas Guys/Gals?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

mktrat wrote:Replaced the PCV valve. SO EASY!!

Still trying to figure out my noisy warmup. I start the car and let it run, it starts off really loud (like an exhaust leak) then as the engine warms up it quiets down. Inside the cabin smells a bit of exhaust? When I accelerate I get lifter like noise. It's probably all related, I'm thinking maybe the exhaust manifold gasket?

Any ideas Guys/Gals?
Use a piece of paper and hold it near the places that you suspect to leak while the engine idles. Disconnect the fan if needed. Alternately use a length of garden hose as a stethoscope to narrow down where the noise comes from.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Last edited by mktrat on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree.
you may want to start a new thread on this as we go off topic here.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Had to dig out BOTH of our Vibe Gt's Saturday morning :x We got an unexpected 6" - 9" of heavy wet snow Friday night! My Vibe is always garaged BUT we used it last night and when we got home I didn't want the snow to melt and make a big mess inside the garage. So there it sat getting an additional 4 or more inches added to it.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow....i miss snow..... :cry:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Pulled the radio to try to find the source of the RF speaker cutting out during bumps or sharp turns. Wiring looked good there, though I think I didn't have the screw connections on the level adapter thingamajig for the M&T amp quite tight enough. Cranked up the levels a bit while I was at it.

I then removed the door panel and reseated the speaker connections. Don't know if I did any good with it, probably won't drive the car again until later in the week.

Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This past weekend, I put the 18s back on both Vibes. I always seem to forget how much of a difference they make in the exterior appearance :cool:!

7 years ago today, I brought my Vibe home!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

17" winters are back

got the wifey drivin'

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Stopped by my mechanic after work the other day to ask about transmission fluid and coolant services. They only do drain and fills, no flushes. They stock Toyota World Standard transmission fluid and Super Long Life Coolant! They quoted me $125 for the transmission and $80 for the coolant. I went ahead and set up an appointment for May 6th. They're also going to do a general checkup on the rest of the Vibe i.e. suspension, brakes, etc. I want to make sure the Vibe is in tip top shape for the trip to Nashville!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Figured I should wash the Vibe since I couldn't tell on the roof what was pollen and what was failing clearcoat. :lol: Cleaned and vacuumed the interior while I was at it and a brief wipe down of stuff underneath the hood. And the usual weekly fluid checks. Resisted the urge to change the oil.

Cleaned up the others in the fleet too. Pretty tired this evening. :lol:

Image Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

cleaned my K&N cone filter...
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Got my Rim and Tire put back on. Got a treadlife discount on the old tire (unrepairable puncture, not sidewall). Tire place was also kind enough to secure the old center cap to the new rim, and re-silicone the other 3. Rule number whatever... avoid rocks, or it will cost you.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Did some spring maintenance to Junior's Vibe GT. Took the winter tires off and put his original 18" ones back on :) While using the jack I kept the rear end up and finally finished installing his trailer hitch. This will come in handy this summer when HE can launch his jet ski without borrowing dads truck :roll: Also topped off the oil again. This time it only was down one quart at exactly 3000 miles. He's been driving mostly city streets during this mild winter so that might have something to do with it. When he was driving I-75 up in Michigan last summer he was constantly driving 80mph+ just to keep up with the flow of traffic and during a lot of that driving his oil consumption was higher (1 qt/ 1500 miles). I also changed out his rear wiper AGAIN (they don't seem to last long at all) His Vibe just turned over 71000 miles

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Pics of new AC compressor 8-) 8-) 8-)
Attachments
27bac9ec-61c6-4c64-8b8a-d2c5f18716ab.jpg
27bac9ec-61c6-4c64-8b8a-d2c5f18716ab.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 17352 times
0b55b2bd-69f3-4d41-898e-c64540bb10a7.jpg
0b55b2bd-69f3-4d41-898e-c64540bb10a7.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 17352 times
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Changed spark plugs.
Only 57K miles, but after 10 years I worried about the threads sticking.
Old threads looked and felt grungy coming out, but were OK.
New:

Old:

2006 Matrix 5-sp
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

I also checked valve clearances.
One intake at the loose limit, others in spec.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I finally got around to pulling the radio out of my mom's Vibe so I could replace the knobs. Lo and behold, the original knobs showed no signs of cracking, so I trimmed them and re-installed everything. At least when they do break I already have new knobs and I won't need to take everything apart again!

I am in the process of another "fix" that's been bugging me for quite some time now. Replacing the scratched glass in the side mirrors. I don't know how in the world the glass in both side mirrors of both Vibes got so scratched (I've always cleaned them the same as I have with every other vehicle I've had), but it has been driving me nuts. I figured I'd start with the driver's side mirror on my Vibe, so I ordered a drop fit glass replacement on eBay for about $16.00. I removed the mirror itself from the Vibe which was pretty simple, than I proceeded to start prying the edges of the glass (wearing gloves and safety glasses of course) which turned into breaking the glass in pieces and removing it. Next, I used WD40 and a scraper to remove the leftover adhesive. Next, I washed everything down with dish soap and than taped everything up for a few coats of satin black Krylon Fusion (the black plastic was pretty faded, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone). I need to pick up some clear coat to use on it, than I will install the new glass and new blind spot mirror (with a black edge this time so it matches the mirror!) and put everything back together. Assuming the glass fits fine and all, I will be ordering the other pieces to do my passenger side mirror and both my mom's mirrors. It always feels so good to get these pesky little "fixes" taken care of! Pictures once everything's back together...
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Drug out the ramps and tools this evening for an oil change. The Sonic would have been at 0% on the OLM in about 300 more miles and I figured I might as well take care of the Vibe while I have everything out.

6 months/~3800 miles this OCI. Used the usual Wix 2ZZ-spec filter. Went with "SOPUS synthetic blend frankenbrew" this time - 3 quarts PYB and a leftover quart of QSUD from the Sonic's last change. I've mixed worse in this thing, at least this is all from the same manufacturer so the additives should be similar. :lol:

Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Had my mechanic do a "spill and fill" of the coolant and transmission fluid on my Vibe this past Friday. I made sure to leave a friendly note on the steering wheel reminding them to be sure and use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant and World Standard transmission fluid. When I went to pick it up, I asked how the old (original) fluid looked. He said, "Not bad at all!" I had also asked them to take a look at the rest of the vehicle, specifically the brakes and suspension. He said he looked everything over and took it for a ride and didn't notice anything that would point to any issues. I told him it's babied and he replied, "I can tell!"

The total ended up being significantly cheaper than he had quoted me when I set up the appointment...

- 4 quarts of Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid = $6.99 a quart = $27.96
- 1.5 quarts of Toyota SLLC = $32.99 a quart = $49.49
- Labor - 1.2 hours = $80.00 = $96.00
- Tax (6.25%) = $4.84
TOTAL = $178.29

EDIT: I forgot to mention the mileage on the Vibe when I started it up to leave the mechanic was 66,666 :twisted:!
Last edited by vibenvy on Tue May 10, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

summer mode 2016

plausipo

Post by plausipo »

Lately there was a bit of shaking with the steering wheel when driving in higher speed >70km/h. Then one morning I smell rubber burning when driving on highway. Exit and drove into a parking lot and checked, not much going on. Next day changed to summer tires, checked on the front brake pads, the driver's side inner pad was quite thin and dirty. Tried to clean the groove and ceramic fell apart. Changed pads (Wagner ceramic $CAD70/set) and rotors (CAD30 each), didn't quite resolve the issue. The car didn't pull to one side...anyway, the next morning after parking the car, I checked again on the tires. The rim that I'd changed pads and rotors was hot to the hand. OK, looked @ the caliper, the piston's rubber boot was torn and very dirty, I likely got a seized caliper. Called the garage I used to go to, no one is answering (likely due to busy tire changing season). Luckily the part shop near work has a remanufactured one for CAD70. Bought it, changed it, bleed the brake hose, refill DOT3 in less than 2 hours, will know if it fixed the problem when driving home.
PS
1-----
Spongy brake, will bleed the brake again next week, it's raining.
2----
Bleeded brakes, changed the other pads and rotors too, now its good. Unfortunately, the other piston's rubber boot seems torn too, oh well, next season might be. Note to self, its easier to get to the caliper's 17mm bolt by removing the anchor plate first (2x14mm bots, the one that houses the brake pads). Also, get the hand pump+bleeder set when price is right.
Last edited by plausipo on Tue May 17, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
04 Base AT
Change log: Front control arms, windshield, front pads and rotors, spark plugs, PCV valve, belt tensioner and belt, caliper, front pads and rotors