What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
lannvouivre

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by lannvouivre »

Ok, for the record, this is my current little pet project until Christmas rolls around and I can maaayyyybe get the JSP hood painted.

ImageThe projectors! This is how my headlights look right now.
ImageFitment test of shrouds, they're held in with Scotch tape for this picture. I don't have the shrouds in right now.
ImageAnother view of the shrouds.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Last Thursday after work I came home and got our winter wheels and tires installed. I put mine on first. I double checked all the lug nuts, then aired the tires up to 32 PSI (they were between 25.5-26.5) and finally installed the wheel covers. Next, I did the same on my mom's Vibe. Last but not least, I was able to handwash all the 18s in the driveway. I got them all washed, then layed them out to dry in front of a couple fans in the garage while I went inside and ate dinner. I went back out and got them stacked up in the corner of the garage for the winter and that was the end of that little project.

Over the upcoming Thanksgiving 4 day weekend, I will be doing the full exterior detail on both Vibes since it's supposed to be in the 50s the whole weekend. After the full exterior details, the Vibes will be officially ready for the onset of winter :|.

On... and yesterday my Vibe turned 4 :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Winter... That is all.

2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Had new 205/70/15 General Altimax Arctic snow tires installed on my winter rims and put on my Vibe. Too bad it is going to be 60°+ the next two days, because I am in wintermode and ready for some snow!!! 8-)
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
trb

Post by trb »

My daughter took the GT back to school with her yesterday since she did not have a confirmed ride back for the holiday because her friends are leaving early. So I'm totally Vibeless for the next several days. :( Hope I can survive driving the Exploder to work; I'm already suffering withdrawal. :D But I really need to get the Mustang running again.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

wintermode v2.0

17x7 +42 motegi somethings
205-50-17 nexen winguard

never really see any long-lasting snow in the city, so i went with a performance winter tire this year...

it beats the 15" steelies i had on there...

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

As of today, I have owned my vibe for two years!
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Made the 40th payment. 8 months to go until he's mine... by title anyway.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Those motegi wheels looks REALLY sharp ! How much did you pay?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Those motegi wheels looks REALLY sharp ! How much did you pay?
$200 used for the rims with mixed summer tires on them
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I detailed the inside with the Pep Boys protectant. It is much cheaper than armor all and did a very nice job.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

its ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEE!

finally got the gear fluid in the doppleganger, got the plastics more or less on, and had to boost it as the battery was dead from sitting for a few months. tossed the 15" snows on it (the tires on the gt-s wheels were toast)

took it for a ride up and down the street and thought i hear a grinding noise....heard it once and it never came back. then i was hearing a metal clanging like the endlink was loose....took a couple drives up/down to remember the CAI isnt attached at the fuse box, so its banging off the engine bay.

seeem to run ok thus far....now to get it saftied and plated!

going to have to do something about the knob...thought itll work well as an anti-theft device if i park it head-first...

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Today was day 1 of the pre-winter detail of my mom's Vibe. I washed it, dried it, clay barred it, washed it and dried it.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the Mother's 3 Step Ultimate Wax System and an interior detail.

I am waiting to see what the weather does this coming weekend as to whether I will detail mine too or not :|.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Just need to tie in the positive CCFL inverter wires such that they only turn on with the headlights.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

Finaly got my winter tires on (its supposed to snow a bit this weekend, and next week, nothinglike the last minute when they have been availble for months).
WINTER MODE 001.JPG
WINTER MODE 001.JPG (83.94 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
WINTER MODE 002.JPG
WINTER MODE 002.JPG (74.04 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
WINTER MODE 003.JPG
WINTER MODE 003.JPG (84.73 KiB) Viewed 10103 times
They are Nexen Winguards Sports, 215/45/17, on Fast rims (not the OEM) I just don't like the look of the car on black steelies and got these rims used for about the same price as steelies would have been. On the drive from the shop they seem to behave about the same as the falken all seasons I got with the car, seem to be no louded and seem to not have that squishy feel that some winter tires have. Will need to get the car on the highway to make sure though, and then some snow to see how the performance is there.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Finished the pre-winter exterior detail on my mom's Vibe today:

I also ordered new muffler tips for both Vibes on eBay today. They should arrive some time this week and I should be able to get them put on (welded) this week too hopefully. I will post pictures ASAP.
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

You make me feel guilty for how dirty my car is at this time ( not entirely my fault, they have been working on the roads near the house and they have been gravel for the last few months, not easy to keep the car spotless). Your Mom's car looks great!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Got the rear tires balanced. While the wheels were off, I checked up on the sway bar links. The grease in the links' bushings is now hanging out, and now the outer tie rod ends have their bushings split open and spilling grease.
this is how I felt when I saw that: http://static.themetapicture.com/media/ ... y-cute.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Scwmcan wrote:You make me feel guilty for how dirty my car is at this time ( not entirely my fault, they have been working on the roads near the house and they have been gravel for the last few months, not easy to keep the car spotless). Your Mom's car looks great!
Sorry for making you feel guilty :P. If it makes you feel any better, my Vibe is really dirty at the moment too :(. I am hoping to do the pre-winter exterior detail on mine this coming weekend though since it's supposed to be in the 50s.

Thanks for the kind words on my mom's Vibe. I am very happy with how well it turned out. This is the first time I've used the Mother's 3 Step Ultimate Wax System on either one of the Vibes and it did an amazing job. I can't wait to see how mine looks after it's all nice and clean. I am always jealous of her Vibe when it's all nice and clean though. The Steel Blue Metallic paint looks absolutely amazing :cool:!
Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

No problem, I'm just afraid I may have missed my opportunity to get the car clean before winter, still waiting for them to pave the roads again ( looks like maybe next week from the way they are going. Then hopefully a good warm day so I can at least wash and wax the car ( never got around to finishing my touch-up so full detailing will need to wait till spring. Oh well, surprisingly the Orange colour doesn't really show the dirt so it still looks pretty clean until you get close to it. I may be doing more driving soon too ( hopefully finally getting another job) though I think most of that will be taken on by the smart since it uses less than half the fuel.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

^^^ its going to be 11, but rainy, on Sunday...

Got my gearheadtshirt.com swag today

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

replaced the passenger side axle seal on the doppleganger today
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Last Wednesday my Vibe turned over 35,000 miles. Then last Thursday, my mom's turned over 35,000 miles. They both got oil changes today. Everything's looking good as usual.

Also, last Thursday, our new muffler tips arrived:

GM Accessories 2003-2008 Vibe muffler tips (#12497926). They were $17.00 each brand new in the box from GM with free shipping! I will be getting them welded on within the next couple weeks. I can't wait to see how they look :D!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Wow, where did you get those tips? I have a couple vibes that could use some decoration
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Painted roof rails and upper grill black.
please ignore the dirt and grime!
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

One of my aftermarket headlight bulbs finally died. 3 yrs out of a pair of $5.99, 80w Chinese bulbs!!! Put the stock ones back in.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm just getting mine back after swapping cars with the Ms. I took the ET in for a new transmission at 44,000 miles. They did the whole job in a day, plus replaced one cranky key fob under warranty. I'm sure I'll spend the day cleaning up my Vibe.
Hyundai gave me a 2013 Sonata Limited as my loaner with 25 miles on it. What a nice car. I really like the automatic backup camera and the steering. It made me nervous to drive such an "expensive" loaner car for two days.
Regarding my Elantra Touring, would there be any reason why the mechanic would have to remove the lower radiator hose to get the transmission out? I know they have to take out the subframe to lower it. I noticed that the coolant in my overflow jug looked very fresh. At a minimum, it was topped off because when I turned it in, it was down a few sips. Just wonderin'. Now at least I have a good 56,000 miles to go on this refurbished tranny.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Got the chance to take a 2013 Camaro 1SS w/stick for a rip today!!! :o :D :twisted: If I owned that car, I'd already be in jail!!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

star_deceiver wrote: If I owned that car, I'd already be in jail!!!
AFTER they pull out of a ditch somewhere :lol: Not good in snow/ice which you LOVE to drive in up there :P
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

That and those are 20" rims on the 1SS... GM sells the winter tires and rim package starting around $3K... and the car starts at $41K!

My ripping around netted an avg. of 13.5L/100kms. 6th gear @ 80km/h was 1100rpm... the music starts in any low gear, 3000rpm where you just won't want to lift your foot and stop the wonderful engine!!!

The one drawback was the sunroof... I just don't fit (height wise) in the car... :lol:

It's weird going from a proper clutch/accelerator combo then going back into the Vibe... didn't stall it though...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:Wow, where did you get those tips? I have a couple vibes that could use some decoration
There was a seller on eBay who had 3 listed. 1 had been purchased already and I got the last 2 for $17.00 each with free shipping. They were brand new still in the box from GM. Definitely an awesome deal!

There are currently 2 listed from 2 different sellers on eBay.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Finally...

I'm happy to report I'm much more confident in the white stuff with these snow tires.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Yesterday: Installed an early Christmas present:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_427 ... chClickout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[query_id]=14274974&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1
Touch screen, bluetooth music and Pandora, fully programmable background and illumination colors, plays DVDs for some reason...

Replaces my old Pioneer unit (has bluetooth and USB in):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YN263srTsQ ... 200UB.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which incidentally I'm willing to sell along with the mounting kit for the '09-'10 vibes and the antenna adapter, microphone, and the basic wiring harness.
Any interest in that? I'll post something in the selling thread if so.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

vibenvy wrote:There was a seller on eBay who had 3 listed. 1 had been purchased already and I got the last 2 for $17.00 each with free shipping. They were brand new still in the box from GM. Definitely an awesome deal!

There are currently 2 listed from 2 different sellers on eBay.
Does it fit the '09s?? I always wanted to put a tip on mine, but the random one I got at AutoZone didn't fit.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Houston

Post by Houston »

ponta2147 wrote:Does it fit the '09s?? I always wanted to put a tip on mine, but the random one I got at AutoZone didn't fit.
The one I got at Autozone fits my '09 perfectly. The Autozone store I went to let me take it out and try it on for size before buying it. Only cost about ten bucks, so give them another shot.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
trb

Post by trb »

I looked at the stainless steel exhaust tips at Autozone too, but did not go as far as trying one on my car since I bet the exhaust pipe on it is smaller than stock. The idiot prior owner replaced the exhaust with something obnoxious I'm sure, and the dealer just put a generic muffler on it. Tiny 2" exhaust pipe that I plan to replace. :D

I did change the front brake pads on the GT today, after 54,500 miles. Very easy job. It took me less than 45 min total to do it. I think I got every possible mile out of them!

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

KITT222 wrote:I'm happy to report I'm much more confident in the white stuff with these snow tires.
What's that white stuff all over your Vibe? :lol: None of that here yet in Ohio BUT I do plan on putting my winter tires on the Vibe TOMORROW :o It's just a matter of time before we finally get some. This is one of the longest droughts without snow so far. Usually by now we've at least seen something on the ground. No complaints here on my part!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ponta2147 wrote:Does it fit the '09s?? I always wanted to put a tip on mine, but the random one I got at AutoZone didn't fit.
It should fit no problem as the open end that will go over the tailpipe is at least 3" in diameter. I am going to have it welded on so I don't have to worry about it falling off or getting stolen. It is originally made to slide over the tailpipe and then simply be tightened down using a metal band with a bolt, but my exhaust guy is awesome and I'm sure he'll be able to make it work no problem and best of all, for cheap.
trb wrote:I looked at the stainless steel exhaust tips at Autozone too, but did not go as far as trying one on my car since I bet the exhaust pipe on it is smaller than stock. The idiot prior owner replaced the exhaust with something obnoxious I'm sure, and the dealer just put a generic muffler on it. Tiny 2" exhaust pipe that I plan to replace. :D
As soon as I get the new tip put on my Vibe, I'll be sending the stock tip your way Thomas (assuming you still want it) ;)!
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote:
trb wrote:I looked at the stainless steel exhaust tips at Autozone too, but did not go as far as trying one on my car since I bet the exhaust pipe on it is smaller than stock. The idiot prior owner replaced the exhaust with something obnoxious I'm sure, and the dealer just put a generic muffler on it. Tiny 2" exhaust pipe that I plan to replace. :D
As soon as I get the new tip put on my Vibe, I'll be sending the stock tip your way Thomas (assuming you still want it) ;)!
Of course! No rush though. Thanks.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Front splash guards! I also now have a relay and toggle switch to finish setting up the CCFL lighting.

Oh, and my front tie rod ends both arrived (from MOOG)
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Did KITT222's dual tail light mod, but with LED's off ebay instead of Superflux LED's. Still looks pretty good, albeit not as bright as his, and unfortunately I don't have any pics of it right now but I love it. Next on the list will be changing out the shift boot (I have one in my possession, just waiting to have the time...). Been very busy with school, and I've been spending my weekends with my girlfriend, as she's studying in another city about an hour away, so that's why I haven't been very active on the forums lately. I still think of you guys all the time though, and I'm still slowly changing things here and there on my Vibe.

Also changed my 2x 12-LED dome lights front and back with some massive 48-LED dome lights. It's almost as bright as the sun. ;) As well as changing the air filter, because my old one was filthy.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MrHatchWagon wrote:I still think of you guys all the time though, and I'm still slowly changing things here and there on my Vibe.
I noticed your birthday was the other day. Happy belated Birthday ;)!
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Thanks! My birthday also coincides with my 1-year anniversary here on Genvibe :)
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Thanks! My birthday also coincides with my 1-year anniversary here on Genvibe :)
Cool! Happy Anniversary ;)!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Sooooo icy this morning

Scwmcan

Post by Scwmcan »

Didn't get any of that down here ( though there were a few flurries at work didn't amount to anything and was gone by the time I got out) but I am sure it is coming.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

sounds soo nice

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibenvy wrote:
It should fit no problem as the open end that will go over the tailpipe is at least 3" in diameter. I am going to have it welded on so I don't have to worry about it falling off or getting stolen. It is originally made to slide over the tailpipe and then simply be tightened down using a metal band with a bolt, but my exhaust guy is awesome and I'm sure he'll be able to make it work no problem and best of all, for cheap.
Well, I went to talk to my exhaust guy this morning. He said there is no way the tip will fit because the inlet is way too big (~3"). This confuses me as it is made to slide right onto the tailpipe of the older Vibes and simply be tightened down. I can't imagine the tailpipe on the 2nd gens being smaller. I would think if anything, it'd be larger since it has a bigger engine. So, I am going to try and stop this week and talk to the alignment shop where I have an appointment scheduled for the 24th to have my Vibe aligned as they also do exhaust work. I am hoping they will be willing to give it a try. If nothing else, I guess I'll have to have the OEM muffler tips cut off (since they're welded on) and I will just have to install the tip myself. I was hoping to have it welded on, but that option isn't looking very feasible at the moment :(.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Crawled under Epona and then realized that I am now too fat to fit under her comfortably anymore :( Oh and the BF's parents got rid of their ramps, so there goes my plan to get some for free :lol:
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote: Well, I went to talk to my exhaust guy this morning. He said there is no way the tip will fit because the inlet is way too big (~3"). This confuses me as it is made to slide right onto the tailpipe of the older Vibes and simply be tightened down. I can't imagine the tailpipe on the 2nd gens being smaller. I would think if anything, it'd be larger since it has a bigger engine. So, I am going to try and stop this week and talk to the alignment shop where I have an appointment scheduled for the 24th to have my Vibe aligned as they also do exhaust work. I am hoping they will be willing to give it a try. If nothing else, I guess I'll have to have the OEM muffler tips cut off (since they're welded on) and I will just have to install the tip myself. I was hoping to have it welded on, but that option isn't looking very feasible at the moment :(.
They do have adapters / reducers and I know they have ones that go from 2" to 2-1/2" or 2-1/2" to 3" or so. Some exhaust places can even make their own adapters. Hopefully your exhaust shop can figure something out. My son is returning from school probably Monday, so I'll take a look at his 06 and compare it to my 10 GT. Maybe even try his tip on my car if I can just unbolt it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &