What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
lannvouivre

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by lannvouivre »

Noticed that my headlights were getting a little foggy and yellow, so I grabbed the PlastX and went to town on them. I scrubbed them so hard on the foggy areas that the plastic got painfully hot to the touch and I blistered the tip of one of my fingers. I also used it on the reverse lights, which cleared them up a bit. The terry cloth towel that I used has a lot of yellow blotches now.

Also got my splash guards in. The back ones fit, of course...but apparently I have the special rocker panel extensions so the front ones don't even come close to fitting.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Washed, waxed, cleaned fender wells and put on new vanity plates.

streblo

Post by streblo »

Took vibe back to advance to get stereo looked at. Was acting very wonky. The menu button ejected, the eject button turned up the volume, the power button turned down the volume, and the left side of the touchscreen would select random buttons. After they told me I would have to wait 2-4 weeks for them to send it away and have it repaired I said F that and decided to press every combination of buttons and yell at it and im pretty sure I intimidated it because it started behaving itself.......Will see how long this lasts.........Picked up a trailer hitch, kind of bad that a hitch from uhaul was cheaper than my cost on a hitch from curt, although the curt one came with a drawbar. Luckily still had a draw bar from my parents old vibe that i pilfered. Washed it and installed the hitch, gotta love those rusted threads!!!!! Now to get the wiring harness installed...........Oh ya played around with pushing the limits cornering with the newly lowered vibe :), Tires are now the limiting factor on the cornering
2003 GT - 80k - K&N SRI - Painted & Machined Rims - Kenwood System - Lowered - June 2012 VOTM
Garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38793
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Turned it into the Terminator!

Restored the body cladding with Meguiars Ultimate Protectant, must have taken me a good hour of scrubbing with the protectant and a terry cloth, not to mention the time it took me before that to wash and tape her up. Got a lot of sunshine today. Very satisfied with the results & hoping it stays that way for a long time to come!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Got an oil change, then got robbed and paid $47.50 for a new fuse.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

09vGT wrote:Got an oil change, then got robbed and paid $47.50 for a new fuse.
Do tell the story behind that.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

MrHatchWagon wrote:
My cigarette lighter hasn't been working. I thought I had checked the right fuse, it said it was in the book anyway, and it was fine. I told them to CHECK and see what it was, but they fixed it anyway. The fuse was actually $7.50, the 30 minute labor was $40.00, plus the oil change at $35.00. I'm kind of mad that they charged me the $40.00 for labor, as I get many things done for free like that, even though I'm out of warranty. Though, the service manager had left for lunch, and he is the one who normally hooks me up. But whatever, I just don't ask for petty things like that again.
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

09vGT wrote:
MrHatchWagon wrote:
My cigarette lighter hasn't been working. I thought I had checked the right fuse, it said it was in the book anyway, and it was fine. I told them to CHECK and see what it was, but they fixed it anyway. The fuse was actually $7.50, the 30 minute labor was $40.00, plus the oil change at $35.00. I'm kind of mad that they charged me the $40.00 for labor, as I get many things done for free like that, even though I'm out of warranty. Though, the service manager had left for lunch, and he is the one who normally hooks me up. But whatever, I just don't ask for petty things like that again.
Ouch that's horrible. I would be upset if they did that, especially for such an easy DIY thing like changing a fuse.
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I installed an Optima 35 series Red Top battery in my Vibe today!

On the way to Farm & Fleet to get the battery, my mom's Vibe turned over 31,000 miles!

Our new headlight and fog light bulbs were shipped out today as well. I ordered Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs for the low beams and high beams and Nokya hyper yellow Stage 1 bulbs for the fog lights. I ended up ordering a total of 10 bulbs from formula-j87 on eBay. He hooked me up with a great deal... $185.00 shipped/$18.50 a bulb. Not bad at all if you ask me :)! I'm curious to see what I think of the Nokya hyper yellow bulbs in the fog lights though. I figured I'd try something different from the SilverStars we've been using in the fog lights for the past 3 years.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Let us know how they look, J!

As for me, today I fixed a wiring issue with my horns. After switching the relay for a new one, found out that the issue was persisting and that the horns would just stay on because the relay was simply too crowded (5 female disconnects sitting perilously close to each other). So, I left the center pin empty, and tapped the horn's positive wires together using a vampire clip. Taped everything up and put a nice glob of di-electric grease on the bottom of the relay to make sure corrosion wouldn't rear its ugly behind. They work!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

My dad put in a brand-new wheel bearing for me yesterday while I was at work. But a brake pad wasn't set right, so it was squealing like mad. So we fixed it this morning. But now it is CRAZY how quiet my car is. It's almost unnatural. I've had that bearing noise since I bought the car, and now that it's gone my ride is so nice.

That same night prior to having the brake fixed there was an AMAZING severe thunderstorm at my high school, where I was ushering for our variety show. Four trees went down, branches were everywhere, garbage cans were tossed about, and the lot flooded in one area. So obviously I had to have a little fun in the big puddle! I led a three-car charge on the water, and it was great. I went through the shallow bits, though. I'm not going to pull a 'Vibe-bass-boat' like Cole did so long ago. :lol:

Here's a tree that went down. Right through the center of the trunk.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Let us know how they look, J!
For sure! They should arrive sometime this week and they will be installed immediately! Pictures will follow ;)!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Removed my rear bumper & fixed it. I was rear ended by a uninsured motorist about a year ago. If I wanted my car fixed I would have to pay my own deductible. So I decided to fix it myself. layed the bumper in the grass, pushed out the dent with my foot & reshaped the rest with a heat gun & (removed) of a screwdriver from the inside. Came out great! Just need to pickup a new tail light lense. Seen som used ones on Ebay for 50 bucks.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My Vibe turned over 31,000 miles today.

All of our new bulbs arrived today as well. I have them installed on the passenger side of my Vibe. I am just waiting for it to get dark so I can go for a ride and see how they compare to the SilverStars and SilverStar Ultras that are still installed on the driver's side. I'll post some pictures tomorrow, assuming I can get some decent ones.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I got my new Silvania Silverstar turn signal bulbs.

They look great! I love the color when they're lit. I also put in my billet grilles a little while ago.

Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

WHat's the difference with the new lights?
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

KITT222 wrote:I got my new Silvania Silverstar turn signal bulbs.

They look great! I love the color when they're lit. I also put in my billet grilles a little while ago.

Looks great Nick ;)!
Vaggeto wrote:WHat's the difference with the new lights?
The new lights are a purplish/bluish color when unlit and amber/orange when lit/flashing. Since Sylvania no longer makes them (you can still get them on eBay though), I got Stealth Auto bulbs that are chrome when unlit and amber/orange when lit/flashing. They provide a cleaner look (no amber/orange reflection in the light housing) while still keeping the legal amber/orange light color.

Speaking of bulbs... I installed the new bulbs (SilverStar zXes in the headlight and Nokya hyper yellow in the fog light) on the passenger side of my Vibe and left the SilverStar Ultras (in the headlight) and SilverStars (in the fog light) on the driver's side. I took it for a ride last night and I was shocked to see that the yellow bulbs in the fog lights are barely noticeable. I thought the difference in the light color would be super distracting compared to the white light of the headlights, but it wasn't. When I was parked right in front of the garage door, the yellow light was super noticeable and when driving, the yellow light was more noticeable towards the side of the road, but looking straight ahead, the yellow fog light bulbs really didn't stand out like I thought they would. I am very pleased with this setup. I drove toward a store in town that is all glass on the front of the building. The reflection of the yellow fog lights and white headlights looked killer! I still need to get the driver's side bulbs installed and get some pictures, but as I said, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the yellow fog light bulbs, but I can now say... I'm in love :D! I'll post pictures before the end of the week.
streblo

Post by streblo »

Used gift card i had for the car wash, got the seats shampooed :) got all the previous owners stains out! Interior looks like new again!

They did a good job shining the outside to!

2003 GT - 80k - K&N SRI - Painted & Machined Rims - Kenwood System - Lowered - June 2012 VOTM
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Rolled over 70,000 miles, put in a Sony stereo and gave the old Clarion one to my classmate. OH MY GOD THE SONY STEREO HAS A CLOCK, GUYS! (The Clarion would only show the clock if you pressed a button). Also broke my rearview mirror a week ago--don't ask--and finally got the replacement yesterday.

Also had a spare key made yesterday since my original key had actually gotten a couple of teeth worn off. It wouldn't turn in the ignition, not even when we wiggled the steering wheel (which wouldn't budge at all). My BF finally managed to force the key to turn.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Oil change & hatch de-badge.

* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Oil change & hatch de-badge.
Nice... any tips for debadging? Is there a thread around here for that?
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Vaggeto wrote:
MrHatchWagon wrote:Oil change & hatch de-badge.
Nice... any tips for debadging? Is there a thread around here for that?
I think there's a how-to in the great how-to index thread, but in any case, here's a few guidelines.
Edit: Here's the link http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=15574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1- Have some adhesive remover or brake cleaner handy. Goo-gone might work better but I didn't have any.
2- Have a heat gun handy.
3- Fishing line is recommended, but I just used my student ID.

First, clean the badge and the area around it, wouldn't want loose debris to damage your paint.

Now, the badges are stuck on with foam-backed adhesive. Most people recommend heating up the badges with the heat gun (I used the high setting, just don't heat your paint for too long - just enough to soften the adhesive and make the badge slightly pliable.) Afterwards, they say to "saw" through the back of the emblems, between the emblem and the foam, using your fishing line. I didn't do this, and instead just took them off with my student ID. Apply heat as you work your way through and eventually the badge will come off.

You'll still have some foam and adhesive on your hatch, so here's when you use your brake cleaner, or goo-gone, or adhesive remover, or whatever, to remove the foam. I also scraped some of it off with my ID (Sorry paint!). After some work, I had it all off.

Wash the area where you used your adhesive remover. From there, I used some spray-on wax to buff the finish and voila! There are some helpful videos on YouTube as well. All in all it took me about 5 minutes to remove the badge, and 10 to clean off all the adhesive. Not bad at all considering it was the first time I attempted this.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Thanks!
Is there no concern with damaging paint with Brake cleaner?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Neighbour has a new(ish) car. And yes, both my vehicles are between the lines!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Vaggeto wrote:Thanks!
Is there no concern with damaging paint with Brake cleaner?
I was a bit concerned, but I was in a pinch, had no adhesive remover and the only one at the local auto parts store was a gallon for $20. I only needed a bit so I figured I'd try with the brake cleaner. Just sprayed it into a cotton rag, scrubbed vigorously and was sure to wash it all off when I was done. We did my friend's Civic shortly afterward the same way, and his paint looked fine as well. We used some spray wax when we were done to buff the paint under the badges to a nice finish.

star_deceiver: That's a nice Matrix, I love white cars.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yesterday, I inspected the 15 dents in my hood and passenger quarter panel from the previous nights hailstorm... :cry:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

BlueCrush wrote:Yesterday, I inspected the 15 dents in my hood and passenger quarter panel from the previous nights hailstorm... :cry:
sorry to hear that.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

BlueCrush wrote:Yesterday, I inspected the 15 dents in my hood and passenger quarter panel from the previous nights hailstorm... :cry:
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over the weekend I drove over 400 miles to Iowa, and back. It's amazing how dirty a car can get in such a small amount of time. And among the many various bugs I hit, a bird with bad timing met my bumper, and left a feather. Poor thing. I didn't hear a thump of anything, but I saw it as it impacted off the surface. I'm pretty confident in saying that the poor bird is a goner.

But by the sounds of it, I got off better in my situation than other Minnesotans did. :?
streblo

Post by streblo »

Hitched up the trailer for the first time
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Sickspeed billet aluminum shift knob! Yes, I realize I'm setting myself up for potential third degree burns on hot summer days:
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I finally got an alignment. However, I now need new tires. Any opinions on some nicely-priced performance-oriented tires? They don't need to be all-season. Any opinions on the Primewell PZ900 tires?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Over the course of the last week:
  • Washed, Waxed
  • Cleaned engine bay
  • Cleaned engine bay some more
  • Scrubbed headlights some more
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Woohoo,
LED License plate lights installed:

Got them here, thanks MrHatchWagon! Only $7.65 including shipping from the US.

And got a new signature, thanks psycho!
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Recently did a Gas Mileage test of very conservative driving... tried to stay under 3,000rpm in all cases and it was a mix of city and highway driving. A couple times going 80 on a 75mph highway I was sitting around 3,100 or so and a bit above that accelerating onto the highway.

Here are the results:
28.6MPG! I did drive about 70 miles of mixed highway/stop and go traffic with another 200lb person and 300-400lbs of tools as well though, which makes me think I would have been at about 30mpg. And yes... the AWD tank is officially 11 gallons. I was REALLY pushing this gas tank because I was on the highway headed home from 60 miles away, and wanted to get gas at the same station/pump for accuracy of this test. I'm also not sure they EVER stop using 10% ethanol here in Colorado. They never take the stickers off of the pumps.

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

A nice and quick wash to get all the bugs and mud off. I'm all ready for my defensive driving course tomorrow! I also put a GoPro camera mount on the underside so I can see my suspension at work. I'll need a tether (just in case) but from my test run it looks great! Now though, I'm wondering how a would Fiero look with Vibe alloy rims on it. Hmm...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I snapped a couple quick pictures in the rain the other day...

Beer Belly

Post by Beer Belly »

Nothing done today but planning on having a tranny cooler installed very soon. Been towing for awhile now with no problems but a upgrading to a larger boat so i've heard from more than a few people that a tranny cooler will be a good investment.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Discovered that both front wheel wells have had holes worn in them. :(
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Installed red overlays on my tail lights:

If I were to do it again, I think I would get VHT red tint spray instead of using vinyl overlays, it took me a while to get them on right. I'm very satisfied with the result though.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Yesterday I took a (very fun) defensive driving course through the MN SCCA. I was great! They say that I have a talent for autocross, and my Vibe would do great in the FWD street-tire category. The class though helped me become a better driver, and one that can be better prepared for whatever happens on the road. The skidpad was fun - my Vibe doesn't tend to oversteer, and is very controllable at the limits - but every square centimeter of my car was COVERED in hard water stains. A wash just took it down to "normal" dirty. Grrr. the only consolation is that on my final run, without an instructor, on my way out of the skidpad I ripped the handbrake and pulled a perfect 360, spinning once and pulling right off the track. They were impressed. :D

Anyway.... autocross. :mrgreen: I want to get into it.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Borrowed a pair of ramps and raised the left side of the Vibe. Pulled the damaged post cat pre fuel tank heat shield from where it was sitting/jammed, it has sheared off of all 3 studs. Damaged beyond feasable repair.

Good news is that the car doesn't sound like it wants to self-destruct anymore!

Here's the before (there is no after shot): It had tears down the other side and the holes in it would have required a mighty big washer.

2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

$1,315 worth of hail damage. I counted 15 dents, they counted 54 dents...? I checked again and still can't find more than 15. Oh, well, not going to argue. I got a $815 check after my $500 deductible.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

BlueCrush wrote:
$1,315 worth of hail damage. I counted 15 dents, they counted 54 dents...? I checked again and still can't find more than 15. Oh, well, not going to argue. I got a $815 check after my $500 deductible.
maybe for $815 they can fix the 15 dents you can find and a few of the invisible dents.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Basically spent three days in it. On the road here, there and everywhere I have wanted to go without being able to because of studying. Drove it west a bit:
Yeh, it's dirrrrty. That'll come clean tomorrow finally.

Then went east and back home. Then went drove it to what I thought was my certain death, otherwise known as NCLEX or LPN state boards... I PASSED! Drove on a celebratory run home today through some of my favorite towns :)
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Made myself a rear cargo mat out of a rubber-backed entrance mat. Not bad for $10.

Pic:
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
trb

Post by trb »

BlueCrush wrote:
Wow! That's a lot. We had probably 100 dents fixed in my grandfather's van and the PDR guy only charged us $450 for fixing all of them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
acvw74

Post by acvw74 »

Oil change and put tint on the back windows...yeah...I don't have the temperment for that job....I swore a lot and not really happy with the results...too many bubbles. :evil:
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Sprayed down the engine with simple green and rinsed it off! 1st step to a clean engine bay! Before really getting into this site it's just something I've never done so it was quite bad.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Vaggeto wrote:Sprayed down the engine with simple green and rinsed it off! 1st step to a clean engine bay! Before really getting into this site it's just something I've never done so it was quite bad.
Mine hadn't been cleaned for 6 years...the dealership didn't even clean it before they sold it to my parents. Man, I'm not even sure they cleaned anything before we bought it!
Attachments
After
After
enginebayclean.jpg (207.58 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Before
Before
enginebaydirty.jpg (202.3 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Yep... Mine was similar to that >.< a few weeks ago. How did you clean it? So far I just wiped down the engine cover, and then sprayed simple green all over and then rinsed off with the hose. (No spray attachement etc)

Definitely gonna need to use a brush or wipe it though.