What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
vibenvy

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by vibenvy »

I finally re-installed my mom's K&N CAI yesterday !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ligion

Post by ligion »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »Might I suggest Duplicolor Vinyl Fabric Dye for your carpet?If you pull the carpet all the way out, you can vacuum it VERY well, then spray it down and I PROMISE you....it will look BRAND NEW (if you use common sense and do it right.lol)Search for my thread on how to remove carpet. I also show you how to remove seats That's fantastic! I didn't know there was a product like that, i've already been removing the carpets and have had the seats in and out all week, i'm going to have to run around and find that dye now! thanks
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Guess whatKonig Swurve
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »I am in love with the way Konig's Aluminum looks.Indeed. Even my old wheels look better now...mostly because they are boxed up in the attic.http://i1212.photobucket.com/a...s.jpg
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I too like the look of those rims. Take a look at your tires though - are they mounted correctly? The side wall shown on the close-up appears to be the "inside" sidewall on the RSA's - but it's clearly facing the outside. They're not directional tires - but they are asymmetrical. The sidewalls should be marked.As for my Vibe - I think today was a good day for it. It got an oil and filter change, transmission fluid change (drain and refill anyway - Toyota WS), a vacuuming inside, and a bath. It actually looks respectable now - not various shades of beige anymore!John
Ocean14

Post by Ocean14 »

Tire rotation and siping. Yes, I know that many may have opinions on siping, and I had a few reservations myself with the low-profile tires. However, I must say that I have noticed an appreciable difference in ride quality.I will also be replacing headlamps later tonight...and yes, I will post pictures
chadhgraves

Re: (Ocean14)

Post by chadhgraves »

I made my own LED third brake light! It looks good and was easy. I'll post a new topic on how I did it in the DIY section on the forum later.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (chadhgraves)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Quote, originally posted by chadhgraves »I'll post a new topic on how I did it in the DIY section on the forum later. Lookin forward to it
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »Lookin forward to itx2
lannvouivre

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by j42.snyder »I too like the look of those rims. Take a look at your tires though - are they mounted correctly? The side wall shown on the close-up appears to be the "inside" sidewall on the RSA's - but it's clearly facing the outside. They're not directional tires - but they are asymmetrical. The sidewalls should be marked.Would DiscountTire fix their mess-up for free? : / I did notice that they put them on so that the other side was facing in...(after I got home, of course).
hotbug1776

Re: (lannvouivre)

Post by hotbug1776 »

Went to change my O2 sensor (6 codes all pointing at the O2 sensor). Got the strut bar off, the 4 bolts for the heat shield, went to unplug the pigtail, and found it laying next to the plug. Needless to say, plugged it back in until it clicked, put the bolts and bar back on, cleared the codes, and went for a drive. Well, I'll be. No more CEL. Tomorrow, my new Gorilla spline drive lug nuts are going on. They're red. Oh yeah.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Oil change & checked my front pads. I was begining to hear a slight squeak so I checked the pads. Pads are still great at 128K & still have room before the wear indicators. While I was in there I used some caliper lube on recommended contact points. Maybe that will help with the noise. Tomorrow morning im going to do a tranny drain & refill and rotate tires.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ligion

Post by ligion »

Painted the rims!
trb

Post by trb »

I used my last free dealer oil change on my son's Vibe, and they told me the front brakes were down almost to the metal at only 51,000 miles! So I pulled the pads off and they were down almost to the solid part, the center cut out is almost gone. So I threw on a new set of pads. I wonder if the prior owners - an elderly couple, may have driven with one foot on the brake and one on the gas! Now I just need one more 17" stock wheel so I can mount the new wheels and tires and the car should be good for a while.I also got a $9.95 oil change coupon from my local dealer last week, so I took my Vibe GT in since it was due. 41,000 miles on it now, I bought it with almost 37,000 on Dec 5th. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I may wash it. Yay!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by lannvouivre »Would DiscountTire fix their mess-up for free? : / I did notice that they put them on so that the other side was facing in...(after I got home, of course). Got the people at Discount Tire to fix their mistake for free. The guy I told was really embarrassed and said they'd just hired some new guys.
mf3rr0

Post by mf3rr0 »

Installed by Eibach Pro-Kit Springs as well as my new 17" Ikon Wheels.
"Your heart is my piñata."2010 Pontiac Vibe - Liquid Platinum Metallic - Base 1.8L Automatic
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Got pretty crazy with my latest mod ---> Swapped out the old dipstick for the new one (inre: Toyo TSB). Yeah, I'm spent.Also, replaced the oil valve control filter (15678-21010); old was totally clean, but changed it anyhow as I had a new one. C_V
ColonelPanic

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »Got pretty crazy with my latest mod ---> Swapped out the old dipstick for the new one (inre: Toyo TSB). With that sort of crazy mod, I hope you can return the car to stock before selling it!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe » Swapped out the old dipstick for the new one (inre: Toyo TSB).Should everyone swap their dispstick? Why are they swapping it anyway, is there some issue with the engine if you don't up the amount of oil?
streblo

Post by streblo »

solved my bi-xenon wiring nightmare. Put all the pieces I had off back together and refinished the headlights!
2003 GT - 80k - K&N SRI - Painted & Machined Rims - Kenwood System - Lowered - June 2012 VOTM
Garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38793
MrHatchWagon

Re:

Post by MrHatchWagon »

It was finally above freezing today, so I went to the car wash and sprayed down my car real good. It was rather pointless because I got splashed again on the drive home, but at least most of the salt that was caked on is no longer present...
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
Cougar Vibe

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »With that sort of crazy mod, I hope you can return the car to stock before selling it! Aw don't worry, before I sell my Vibe I'll take it to the dealership and change it back to the old one at an hour's labor.Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Should everyone swap their dispstick? Why are they swapping it anyway, is there some issue with the engine if you don't up the amount of oil? In the Corolla Land forums there has been some anecdotal evidence that the 1ZZFE may be prone to consuming oil after a ?????? number of miles (most of the posts I've read put the number over 100K); mind you, it seems to be a minority situation. Anyway, the Toyota TSB issued in '08 seems to suggest that increasing the sump capacity (by changing the dip stick) by 7/10ths of a quart may help w/that issue. Who knows if that's that case though...I guess we'd have to look at '06 and newer Vibes, Matrixes and Corollas w/significant mileage to see if the oil consumption is on par w/previous years.The only reason I swapped mine out is that I was already ordering a few parts at the dealership and it was only another $9. Considering I've been saving $$$ on these latest O'Reilly's & Autozone "$9.99 Oil Change" deals of late, it wasn't exactly a hardship.I wouldn't sweat it.C_V
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Ordered these in Gunmetal w/ machine finish: http://www.acealloywheel.com/5....htmlAce Cinco (Ha, it's Cinco de March-o today ,too! )16x75x100+40 OffsetSet of 4$348 shipped!!!!!!

Attached files
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »In the Corolla Land forums there has been some anecdotal evidence that the 1ZZFE may be prone to consuming oil after a ?????? number of miles (most of the posts I've read put the number over 100K); mind you, it seems to be a minority situation. Anyway, the Toyota TSB issued in '08 seems to suggest that increasing the sump capacity (by changing the dip stick) by 7/10ths of a quart may help w/that issue. Who knows if that's that case though...I guess we'd have to look at '06 and newer Vibes, Matrixes and Corollas w/significant mileage to see if the oil consumption is on par w/previous years.The traditional school of thought is that it is better to run the oil level a little low rather than high. Running it high in a wet engine could allow the crankshaft to splash more oil up casuing drag and more oil on the pistons causing increased oil burning. It is also said that adding more oil to the crankcase can cause premature rear, or even front seal damage due to the excessive pressure put upon them.That's the traditional line of thinking at least.Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Ordered these in Gunmetal w/ machine finish: http://www.acealloywheel.com/5....htmlAce Cinco (Ha, it's Cinco de Mayo today ,too! )They are nice looking, Brian, but I hope you are kidding about it being Cinco de Mayo today? I was born on Cinco de Mayo and it is definitely not my birthday today.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
BlueCrush

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote »They are nice looking, Brian, but I hope you are kidding about it being Cinco de Mayo today? I was born on Cinco de Mayo and it is definitely not my birthday today. LOL! Someone got it!! Changed it to "Cinco de March-o"
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I wasn't sure I got it. That's why I asked....
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Wow ! those are REALLY nice.....
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »Niiiiice, dude those are gonna look so awesomex2Can't wait to see the gunmetal against your paint.
Steelies to the rescue.
Cougar Vibe

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

That's normally correct, but in this case there was no sump capacity change to the 1ZZFE engine going into '06 and beyond. Toyota just decided to "increase" the oil volume by moving the fill marks up on the dip stick. Thus, what should be good for the '06+ 1ZZFE should be good for the '05 and prior.There was a post around here not too long ago discussing the reason for the increase in capacity; I just suck at using the forum/Google search engine to find it. It's also been vetted over at BITOG (which I wouldn't even recommend searching on w/their archaic search engine).C_V
MrHatchWagon

Re:

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Today, I took my Vibe to my mechanic to finally have my right control arm replaced. The bushing was worn for the longest time and was making a very noticeable clunking noise every time I went over a bump. It took him about half an hour to remove the old one, as the rust that had built up caused it to seize. After much torching, and cutting, and impact-hammering, he finally managed to get the old one out and the new one in. I kept the old one as a trophy:
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

New tires (Arizonian Silver Edition)...ride is smoother and quieter. So much smoother, in fact, two of the rattles in the front part of the cabin have shut up.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Just took them out of storage... they got a little dusty over the winter...Soon to look like:And hey, maybe I'll even put a picture of a CLEAN car in my sig
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Wheel alignment via Toyota dealership. GM dealership said they couldn't put it on the machine because of my aftermarket wheels. Told the guys at the Toyota place and they gave each other weird looks, too, so I guess I wasn't the only one that thought that sounded ridiculous.Oh well, the GM guy also said an alignment would be $153, which was completely insane.
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Ohh my gosh, Star_Deceiver. Soooo lovely. *_*I said this on our facebook page, but not all of us are there and I'm proud of myself. XD I cleaned my rugs up after a gross winter. The driver's one was all salty. I had to dump tons of white vinegar on it after the carpet soap, scrub it really well and spray it for a long time with really hot water. The dirt that came out of that thing surprised me. @.@ Ugh.But yeah, so you guys know, white vinegar works really well for cleaning up salt. :3
My lovely Gambit.
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

What did I do today in my Vibe? First, it went to the shop for a new oil filter and oil change, but while they were doing the 'Courtesy Check' they found the battery tested 'weak' (I hadn't noticed ANY problems). So, it next went back to the dealership, where they retested the battery, and sure enough, it wouldn't "hold" a charge under load. So, they replaced the OEM battery with a brand new 60-month AC Delco battery...all "Thanks" to the 3YR/36K-mile GM 'bumper-to-bumper' Warranty, which will "expire" come April 17th for me.So, if your Warranty is about to expire, think about having you battery tested NOW, before your Warranty expires.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Changed the oil and got the fluids filled up right. Another three months and we'll do it again!
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Swapped out the winter tires for the all-seasons and did my semi-annual oil/filter changes (Vibe, Mazda5 and Ranger).Should be good-to-go until September!C_VPS: Am I the only '05 owner w/their original AC Delco battery?
tpollauf

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Old Tele man » So, it next went back to the dealership, where they retested the battery, and sure enough, it wouldn't "hold" a charge under load. So, they replaced the OEM battery with a brand new 60-month AC Delco batteryHmmmmmmmm. Seeing how my battery went dead on me a couple of times already (just last week it was dead again) but it's slowly being drained from a lack of driving In fact I was going to post here on what I did to my Vie today. I filled it up ........ with GAS that is. It's only been 6 months since the last fill-up so it was due On a serious note though, our batteries can go bad by NOT cycling it on a regular basis so I may just have to have them check it out and see if I'm a candidate for a new battery.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
star_deceiver

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by star_deceiver »

Got a new set of hub centric rings. Change-over tomorrow.... maybe.... we'll see...
star_deceiver

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by star_deceiver »

10:05am.... Winter mode cancelled. To the car wash!!!
csxt8058

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by csxt8058 »

Added a little something inside the Vibe... JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
Ocean14

Post by Ocean14 »

Unfortunately, I had to replace a tire due to a nail puncture and internal rim rub that compromised tire integrity. All the tire shops I tried didn't have the tire in stock and commented on how "odd" the size was. Anyway, one tire was $181! I don't know, that just seemed high considering my GTI's tires were know where near that.I can take pictures if anyone is interested.
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

$180 for one tire sounds steep. I've never paid over $115 bucks for a tire and that's on the high end. Usually a decent Goodyear is around $90. I don't get the premium tires cause the roads in Oklahoma are always under construction and you're bound to catch a nail from time to time. I would of drove on my spare till I found one for a good price. Call around and look online for the tire you want so you'll know next time you need a new one.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

Quote, originally posted by chadhgraves » a decent Goodyear don't send the poor guy off on a wild good chase! finding a decent goodyear is like catching a leprechaun.i don't buy into the "odd size" the stock 16's, you have 205/55/16-the base size on all kinds of stuff like vibes, matrixes, carollas, civics, etc. and when there is some variation with uncommon sizes, it's usually like $20 a tire, not $100. someone took you for a ride.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'm drawing a blank as to what trim Vibe you have. If it is the GT and an 09-10 then that price is normal for the 18" low profile tire. You possibly could have found one a few bucks lower but due to the rarity of them, you end up paying more.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, he has the 18" wheels, (09GT) and that is pretty close to what I paid for my Bridgestone Potenzas on my 10GT. A set of four was $824 OTD for everything including lifetime balancing, road hazard, tax, etc. And they better last me a good 50,000 miles for that price!That is too bad Adam. I know I always get road hazard, and it has paid off for me on the last few times I've bought it. That is one reason I bought my own tires after I picked up the Vibe. If the dealer had installed a set, there would have been no road hazard warranty.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Re: (trb)

Post by lannvouivre »

Washed it, then tricked the neighbor into thinking the Vibe was a new car.Quote, originally posted by trb »I know I always get road hazard, and it has paid off for me on the last few times I've bought it.I thought about not getting road hazard on my new tires...but then I realized that I am the flat master. If there is a flat to be had or an arrow to be taken to the sidewall, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it.