window tinting

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
rob12345

window tinting

Post by rob12345 »

I would like to tint the windows myself, does anybody have a good "how to" and also some good brands to buy? Or should I just save this for the expert? If so what type of pricing am I looking at?
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

unless you plan on getting into the window tinting business and want to master the skill, id save the time and effort and take it to a proper shop.pricing depends. you should start looking up local places and asking. when i had my vibe done 20% all around a few years ago, i think it was something like $150. i wouldnt pay over $200.
PlatinumVibe08

Re: window tinting (rob12345)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Quote, originally posted by rAERRK »unless you plan on getting into the window tinting business and want to master the skill, id save the time and effort and take it to a proper shop.+1 Get references and take it to a professional with a solid reputation for quality work. Many times, you get what you pay for. I paid $175 to get the passenger windows, small rear windows and back glass tinted with 5% (limo tint). I was quoted an additional $75 to have the driver and passenger windows done with 20% in the future. I'm super happy with the professional job (looks factory) my guy did and think his price was fair. While I was quoted cheaper prices, I've seen their work and there is no comparison. Remember, the best value is rarely the least expensive.Best wishes,PlatinumVibe08
2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
June

Post by June »

If you still plan on doing it yourself, I'm pretty sure there was someone on the MatrixOwners website that did a writeup w/ pics. If I locate the link I'll post it up for you. I was considering a DIY job also but I'm note sure I'll have the patience for it.
June04 Neptune Vibe, Auto, Monotone, Moons/Tunes, 43k
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by rob12345 »I would like to tint the windows myself, does anybody have a good "how to" and also some good brands to buy? Or should I just save this for the expert? If so what type of pricing am I looking at?I have been tinting window now for over 10 years, tinting cars for family and friends.IT'S NOT EASY! too this day I still lose it and usually mess something up.The last car I did was my fathers trixHis was the best I have done to date.Took me about 6hrs to do the entire car. From removing panels, tinting, replacing panels. The tint cost me about 60bucks total
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

dang that looks nice keith good job
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
ehoff121

Re: window tinting (keithvibe)

Post by ehoff121 »

It looks great, but I thought PA had some of the toughest tint regulations in the country? That looks waaaay darker than 70%...Does your dad have a medical exemption?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
keithvibe

Re: window tinting (ehoff121)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ehoff121 »It looks great, but I thought PA had some of the toughest tint regulations in the country? That looks waaaay darker than 70%...Does your dad have a medical exemption?The laws in pa are weird... one year it's nothing on all window unless it came from the factory, the next year it's as dark as you want on all the back windows, the next year, it's no darker than 35% on all windows.Then it changes on how it's inforced, one year mechanics who are doing the yearly inspection can't pass a car that has tint on it(but they found all the owner of the car would have to say is I got the tint done after the inspection) so they nixed that idea ... and as for the police around here... they don't bother you unless your doing something stupid and if they can't see in the car when they are using their spot lights.Which normally his would be too dark to see in the car with the spot light.Now you mentioned about medical... take a gander at his plate.... what cop would pull over a car for tint with a handicaped plate LOLHis tint is 5% on the rear windows and 20% on the front two... He wanted it dark, so thats what he got.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
June

Post by June »

Keithvibe,How tough was the rear window? For some reason that's was scare's me the most, really due to the the window struts.
June04 Neptune Vibe, Auto, Monotone, Moons/Tunes, 43k
bull77

Post by bull77 »

nice job with the tint I'll have to post a pic of a vibe a saw over the weekend with some bad diy tint btw --- did he paint the visors white or did he buy them like that?
keithvibe

Re: (June)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by June »Keithvibe,How tough was the rear window? For some reason that's was scare's me the most, really due to the the window struts. I did the rear window in two strips. But I have the joint lining on a defroster line so you can't see it.Quote, originally posted by bull77 » did he paint the visors white or did he buy them like that?He painted them. Years ago I had white visors on my 94 cavy and he liked the look. So he painted them... these are older photos. I have since added a white piece of vinyl to the rear windows to complete the line. He also now has a white sun roof visor. His next painting project it to paint the black grill white... can you see a theme here?? HAHAHA
Sull

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by Sull »

keith I have never seen a plate like that in all my life, I am in Canada though hahah I bet he would never get pulled over, but my gosh that is BLACK man and it looks so dam hot!!! I wish I could do mine like that... that would just be pushing my luck
Tein S-Tech | Tokico HP Struts | Kyowa KR-210 18x7.5 | Kumho Ecsta Spt 225/40/18Magnaflow Cat-Back | K&N Intake | Camcon | Tint 50% Fronts 5% Rear | TWM Short Shifter
keithvibe

Re: (Sull)

Post by keithvibe »

HA yea, here in the states there are two options for the HC. A plate as you see on his car or a plackard that is hung from the rear view mirror when you park the car in a HC spot.The plackards are ment to be a temp for those who are under doctors care and are expected to recover so they won't need it for the rest of their life.Though most do use the plackards for years and years. But they expire after a certain amount of time and require the holder to re-apply.The plate that you see on my fathers car is used for the life of the holder. It's to show that the handycap is perminant. It's abused so much here in PA that half the time the people who have them have stole them from another person simply so they can park close to the building.He hasn't had an issue yet. Though he always checks to be sure his plate is still there after going someplace that he knows might be a bit shady.Quote, originally posted by Sull »keith I have never seen a plate like that in all my life, I am in Canada though hahah I bet he would never get pulled over, but my gosh that is BLACK man and it looks so dam hot!!! I wish I could do mine like that... that would just be pushing my luck
LeatherVibe

Post by LeatherVibe »

I've done several cars and did my rear window myself last summer. After doing the rear window, I suggest you have a pro do it. It took me two attempts with 3 strips - I'd rate my joints between strips as a 5 out of 10. Don't do it!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I have done it for about 10 years now too. If you have never done it, you probably should not try. All unless you are very patient and have the time. It is alot like hanging wallpaper.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by rob12345 »I would like to tint the windows myself, does anybody have a good "how to" and also some good brands to buy? Or should I just save this for the expert? If so what type of pricing am I looking at?I'm not sure about brands and whatnot, or how to do it, or price, but I am sure it's probably not the best idea to DIY just like others have said. Besides the picture Keith posted of the Matrix he did, I have never seen a good tint job that was done at home. You're only probably saving like $100 or so because I would assume since it's your first time doing it you'll make a mistake (I know I would) and need to buy more materials. Plus, some shops have a lifetime warranty on their tint, so you can bring it back if it needs to be fixed...if you DIY you're going to have to pay to fix it yourself and will probably end up costing you the same amount as doing it pro in the end. That's my input lol.