How many quarts of oil?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
n2ho

How many quarts of oil?

Post by n2ho »

Hi everybody. I just wanted to reproduce here the post I've started on http://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=74353:************* My friend in Russia owns a Pontiac Vibe 2004, which has a Toyota 1.8 liter 1ZZ-FE engine, the same engine which is used in Toyota vehicles Corolla and Matrix. He came across the information that for a last several years of production since 2004 the volume of motor oil in this engine was increased (in 2005?) from 3.9 to 4.5 US quarts and the oil dipstick was changed accordingly. Does it mean that in the car he owns the volume of oil and the level on the dipstick have to be increased? Was there a Technical Service Bulletin issued about this subject? The guy doesn't speak English and asked me to post this message. Any information would be greatly appreciated.*************There is some discussion there, maybe somebody has more information about this subject.Thank you.
joatmon

Re: How many quarts of oil? (n2ho)

Post by joatmon »

I hadn't noticed, but I just checked, and the 2003, 2004, and 2005 Vibe owners manuals say the 1ZZ engine gets 3.9 quarts, while the 2006, 2007, and 2008 vibe owners manuals say it takes 4.4 quarts.I have a 2003 with the 3.9 quart recommendation, and I am not worried about it. I just pour in an even gallon. It is more important to make sure there's at least what the dipstick wants, and that the oil and filter are changed regularly. There may be an advantage to having that extra pint of oil in there, but there are disadvantages to having too much. I don't think an extra pint would hurt. If he's worried about it, tell him to put in the extra pint, scratch a mark on his dipstick.
n2ho

Re: How many quarts of oil? (joatmon)

Post by n2ho »

What is interesting, that the dipstick was changed indeed, on the dipstick of my 2007 Vibe the distance from the tip to the "max" line is 51.5mm, on the 2004 car the same distance is 42mm. Please check yours, 2003, it'll be 42mm, I am sure. The length of the dipstick from the tip to the O-ring is 510mm for both years. It became interesting, what actually happens with the engine, did Toyota re-designed something there? It doesn't look like, but why the oil quantity got larger?
chrisp

Re: How many quarts of oil? (n2ho)

Post by chrisp »

They just moved the FULL mark a bit further up the stick and .....Wallah... Your vibe now holds 4.4 Qts. Amazing Ay. Helps it run a bit cooler and probably helps it make it to its 5,000 mile oil change. I use GC and go to 10,000 with great oil analysis results.
VivaVibe

Re: How many quarts of oil? (chrisp)

Post by VivaVibe »

Quote, originally posted by chrisp »They just moved the FULL mark a bit further up the stick and .....Wallah... Your vibe now holds 4.4 Qts.I wouldn't be too sure about that. I read a while back that they changed the size of the oil pan, thus increasing the oil amount. Best check to see if that is accurate. Over filling oil can be just as bad as not having enough.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

My 2004 1zzfetakes exactly 4 qts. and is right on the full line all the time.
NibCrom

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by NibCrom »

I'd say under filling is better than over filling. Check your owners manual and pay attention to the dipstick.
n2ho

Re: (NibCrom)

Post by n2ho »

The question was not related to the owner's manual or keeping level on the dipstick. The question was about the fact that Toyota since 2005 changed the dipstick and corrected the manual indicating that more oil is needed (4.4 vs 3.9 quarts before), but there was no explanation about older engines - do they need more oil to pour into?
joatmon

Re: (n2ho)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by n2ho » do they need more oil to pour into?Need? no. They need enough oil to reach the lower mark on the dipstick. Your measurements indicate that level has not changed, so the engines do not need the extra pint. Then the question is will they benefit from the extra pint. chrisp says yes, marginally.
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

It could've been as simple as Toyota wanting to push the OCI limits or buy themselves a little extra insurance with some more oil.Or it could be something as mundane as changing their dipstick vendors. Or the new, off the shelf dispstick that works for other engines fits and has slightly different markings. Now the full line will register 4.4q instead of 3.9q. Is this an issue? No.However, I concur that it's better to underfill than overfill. Your friend is best sticking with 4qs flat. If you fill it too full, foaming can become a big issue quick. Tell him to just keep doing what he's been doing.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
n2ho

Re: (engineertwin2)

Post by n2ho »

Thank you all guys for your expertise and advices. I myself think that one should stick to the volume prescribed in the manual for the particular year, unless Toyota issued some TSB which is most likely not the case (nobody heard about it!).
STREETFIGHTER50

Re: How many quarts of oil?

Post by STREETFIGHTER50 »

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I did just purchase a 2006 Vibe recently. I remember the same situation on my ‘99 Mustang GT. Ford did the same thing for the New Edge Mustang GT years. 1999-2001 says 5 quarts in the owner’s manual. 2002-2004 says 6 quarts. Now the motor and the oil pan did not change at all between the 1999s to 2004s. All Ford changed was the dipsticks. I like to have my oil to the fullest/safest level. More oil more protection.
ehoff121

Re: How many quarts of oil?

Post by ehoff121 »

Check on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46466&hilit=oil+ca ... 1c#p521456

At some point a few years back, a new dipstick was issued with higher fill markings.

I would fill with 4 quarts and check level every week or two until you get a feel for oil levels on your new to you 1ZZ-FE.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum