Serpentine Belt Change

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Whelan

Serpentine Belt Change

Post by Whelan »

I will be doing this in the next week or so. I have heard many people have switched from OEM to Goodyear Gatorback due to the much quieter operation and better quality.What is the part # for this belt for a 1ZZ (non GT) engine with A/C. I have also researched the install. It seems getting a 19mm wrench, not ratchet socket works the best. People seem to be fearful of stripping and breaking the bolt. I would imagine if done properly and not forcefully (i.e. steady pressure) you can release the pressure on the tensioner to remove the belt. Also, I will be doing this myself, and have heard of some people putting a 5" C-clamp on the tension pump with relative ease. I may also try this method as well.Lastly, is it necessary to give the tensioner a few pumps back in the opposite direction with the wrench to remove any air and get back pressure on the tensioner?Thanks ahead of time.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
joatmon

Re: Serpentine Belt Change (Whelan)

Post by joatmon »

I hadn't heard the C clamp option before. That might be useful, but not required. The real difficulty is that there's not much clearance between the pulleys and the side of the engine bay, difficult to get hands where they need to go. wrench or ratchet depends on what you have, I have a ratchet that is longer than any of my wrenches, so I used that.I was not fearful of breaking the bolt. I bought a replacement belt from AdvanceAuto, Autozone, I forget which or who made it. I did't know there was a noise issue with the belt, and I forgot that AC was optional on some Matrixes.I don't know aout repressurizing the tensioner, I assumed it was a spring device. Mine had plenty of tension, and with the belt not there, it swung past it's normal position. If it didn't, then I'd be concerned about it's ability to maintain tension, maybe it was sticking or gunked up, and maybe moving back and forth might clear it for now, but how long till it got stuck again.... so I'd say just make sure it is not limited in movement to it's normal position. when you have the belt off
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Ok Found a local parts place near my office that has it in stock.Yes we have two different kinds cause A/C was an option on the base Trix. But I have an XR AWD so it was standard.Part # 4060740 Goodyear Gatorback Poly V. Picking it up for lunch and throwing it on tonight. Will give me something to do while the gf is at happy hour with her work friends. She spends $30 on drinks, I buy a belt for my car, (removed)!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

How did the belt replacement go, have you done it yet? I just picked up one and want to replace it this coming weekend.
joatmon

Re: Serpentine Belt Change (NSimkins)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »How did the belt replacement go, have you done it yet? I just picked up one and want to replace it this coming weekend.he started a new threadhttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28261
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Ok Found a local parts place near my office that has it in stock.Yes we have two different kinds cause A/C was an option on the base Trix. But I have an XR AWD so it was standard.Part # 4060740 Goodyear Gatorback Poly V. Picking it up for lunch and throwing it on tonight. Will give me something to do while the gf is at happy hour with her work friends. She spends $30 on drinks, I buy a belt for my car, (removed)!OK, I'm somewhat confused here. I looked up a few different part sites as well as went to AutoZone (they even put in the correct engine codes for the Vibe Base (there were two listed)) and everything is coming out to a Gatorback #4060725 which is 72.5" length.The Matrix XR w/ air (the Vibe base equivalent, there wasn't an option not to have air I believe) and I'm seeing what Whelan posted as a #4060740 which is a 74" length belt. So is there really a difference? I can't find anywhere that lists the 4060740 for a Vibe, only the 4060725 which I bought and plan to install within the next week. I'm not sure if the 1.5" will make a difference or if there is really a difference in the engines of the vehicles listed. Worst thing would be to take off the old belt and compare it with the new one and see if they match up.Any advice or clarification would be appreciated.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

According to Goodyear, you got the right belt. here's the link to their parts search: http://www2.goodyearbeltsandho...h.jsp
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

after I changed mine, I kept the OEM belt, so I just measured it, 72 1/4"
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Serpentine Belt Change (nygiantzz1)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by nygiantzz1 »According to Goodyear, you got the right belt. here's the link to their parts search: http://www2.goodyearbeltsandho...h.jspThanks... I was looking for a direct search site for those belts. I didn't look hard enough. Quote, originally posted by joatmon »after I changed mine, I kept the OEM belt, so I just measured it, 72 1/4"Awesome, thanks joatmon! I feel better now that I indeed have the correct belt.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Hmmm. Strange thay the Vibe base & Matrix are different sizes. I wonder why? They have the exact same engine. Looks like I will have to get a 72.5" belt for the prize in my guessing game. lol.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Serpentine Belt Change (BlueCrush)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Hmmm. Strange thay the Vibe base & Matrix are different sizes. I wonder why? They have the exact same engine. Loks like I will have to get a 72.5" belt for the prize in my guessing game. lol.I was wondering myself, but I do remember hearing that the Vibe and Matrix with A/C use different components on that behalf. The Vibe using Denso components while the Matrix uses another manufacturer (Delco?) [this thread comes to mind]. That may be where the difference comes from since the A/C unit may be slightly different between the two.I looked at your guessing game thread and noticed the other belt you listed so that started me on my hunt to make sure I had the right one.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »I was wondering myself, but I do remember hearing that the Vibe and Matrix with A/C use different components on that behalf. The Vibe using Denso components while the Matrix uses another manufacturer (Delco?) [this thread comes to mind]. That may be where the difference comes from since the A/C unit may be slightly different between the two.I looked at your guessing game thread and noticed the other belt you listed so that started me on my hunt to make sure I had the right one. Huh! that's strange, you would think that the Matrix would use Denso parts and the Vibe would use the Delco parts. This is really weird! Edit: From the link you posted I see that it is the Matrix that uses the Denso and the Vibe uses Delphi? (Which makes sense, I guess) The Matrix must have a larger A/C compressor pulley than the Vibe's to take up that extra 1.5"?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Huh! that's strange, you would think that the Matrix would use Denso parts and the Vibe would use the Delco parts. This is really weird! Edit: From the link you posted I see that it is the Matrix that uses the Denso and the Vibe uses Delphi? (Which makes sense, I guess) The Matrix must have a larger A/C compressor pulley than the Vibe's to take up that extra 1.5"?Yeah, that makes more sense... I wasn't at 100% earlier. I would assume it has to do something about the compressor differences. Regardless, I'm going to tackle it soon and will post up afterwards.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Well just got home. Had my Dad help as the 2nd person, took about 20 minutes. It took longer to take off the lower engine splash shield, but that made all the difference in clearance from underneath the vehicle. Didn't notice any noise difference, probably due to the naturally noisier 4 cyl. engine anyway.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »Well just got home. Had my Dad help as the 2nd person, took about 20 minutes. It took longer to take off the lower engine splash shield, but that made all the difference in clearance from underneath the vehicle. Didn't notice any noise difference, probably due to the naturally noisier 4 cyl. engine anyway. Cool! That was quick! Let us know if you notice less vibration.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

That lower splash guard was a PIA the get off. Two bolts here, four pops there, grrrr!Aside from that it was a 10 minute job. My dad helped me as well being the man on top feeding belt to me to hang.The A/C is Denso on the trix so it uses different sizes, hence the 1.5" difference. I checked that out cause the Vibe is a different part. But Gatorback is sooooooo the way to go. The car even has a nice little whine to the belt at low rpms )
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Dr. DODO

Post by Dr. DODO »

Quote, originally posted by NSimkins »OK, I'm somewhat confused here. I looked up a few different part sites as well as went to AutoZone (they even put in the correct engine codes for the Vibe Base (there were two listed)) and everything is coming out to a Gatorback #4060725 which is 72.5" length.The Matrix XR w/ air (the Vibe base equivalent, there wasn't an option not to have air I believe) and I'm seeing what Whelan posted as a #4060740 which is a 74" length belt. So is there really a difference? I can't find anywhere that lists the 4060740 for a Vibe, only the 4060725 which I bought and plan to install within the next week. I'm not sure if the 1.5" will make a difference or if there is really a difference in the engines of the vehicles listed. Worst thing would be to take off the old belt and compare it with the new one and see if they match up.Any advice or clarification would be appreciated.I bought a Gatorback from a local Auto-parts store (~$33). I have a 2003 GT and when they were looking up parts, I was asked what is the 8th letter on VIN. Apparently, if it is "L" then it needs 74" belt and if it is "8" then it needs 72.5" belt. According to the Goodyear site, http://www2.goodyearbeltsandho...h.jsp I should use 4060747 (47") so that is what I bought.Will find out shortly if this is the right belt.
-----------------------2003 Vibe GT Neptune BlueCosmo Racing CAI17-in low profile tiresNew wheels
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I finally changed my oem belt to the Gatorback. I had that thing laying around forever. After hearing of how hard it was for some people to change it, I expected the worst. Well, 15 minutes later I was done! lol. It was one if my easier mods. I did it all from up top and was able to get my hands far enough down to take the old belt off and put the new one on. I was only left with a few minor scratches on my forearm. The hardest part was, after the new belt was all routed, trying to get the belt on the alternator pulley with one hand while pulling down on the tensioner with the other. The new belt was a little tighter than the old. I definitely notice a reduction in noise right away, as mine old one was starting to make a slight squealing noise at idle and while stopped in gear. I as starting to get a rattle on the tensioner again (mine was replaced under warranty earlier this year) and after I installed the new tighter belt I have yet to hear the ratttling. So, that's good! And, yes I installed the correct size belt (72.5").PS - also installed the Helix Power Tower Plus and Power Enterprise Camcon again...lol. Next will be a defouler for the rear O2 sensor so I can stop getting that annoying P0420 code that I have had ever since I hollowed out the pre-cat in my AWD header. Hopefully that will take care of it.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »PS - also installed the Helix Power Tower Plus and Power Enterprise Camcon again...lol. Next will be a defouler for the rear O2 sensor so I can stop getting that annoying P0420 code that I have had ever since I hollowed out the pre-cat in my AWD header. Hopefully that will take care of it. Ok ok i may have missed the post.But what took you so long on the belt? How many times did you buy and sell it before you put it on the car LOL and the hollowed out precat? though you went back to stock?
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
BlueCrush

Re: Serpentine Belt Change (keithvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Ok ok i may have missed the post.But what took you so long on the belt? How many times did you buy and sell it before you put it on the car LOL and the hollowed out precat? though you went back to stock? Just never got around to it until now. Only 3...lol. Couldn't find a good deal on a stock header + install so I am just leaving it for now. I'll revisit it again this fall.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD