What do you think your factory oil filter was put on with?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
binary

What do you think your factory oil filter was put on with?

Post by binary »

I had to crush my oil filter with a pipe wrench to get it off my vibe's engine... I swear if I ever meet the guy/gal who put that on - I'm going to twist 'em in half.So, to bring a little humor back into my night... what do you think your factory oil filter was put on with?
binary

Re: What do you think your factory oil filter was put on with? (binary)

Post by binary »

Oh and to make my night purrrrrfectly sh**y...We have problems with ground squirrels in my area, they look like chipmunks - but much more destructive. Anyway, every hole I find in my yard I drop a spoonfull of "revenge" poison down. It's been very effective.However, tonight I was looking for my channel locks to get my damn oil filter off and spent quite a bit of time in my work shop (which is full of junk from a rummage sale - still). and as I'm moving things around, I get the whiff of death. Something died in my workshop, I guess that would explain the flies last month YUCK!Well, I finally get to the back of the room and locate my small craftsman tool box with my plumbing stuff in it. (All my car /home tools are in a big red locable roll around tool chest.)And the lid was open. The ground squirrel decided to get revenge on me and died in my toolbox. By the time I found him/her he was a pile of goo and bones, all over my channel locks, wrenches, and tape measure.After holding back the initial feeling to toss my lunch, I thought to myself... I wonder if sears will replace this? At least my workshop is airing out now... I found a small hole in the back where they had dug/chewed through the wall.Now I just double up the dose!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I vote that those asshats who put mine on used the f'in impact, man... Did the first oil change on mine at 1500 miles. I thought, "oh, the filter is in a decent location, so I may not have too much trouble getting that thing off..." Um, how wrong was I. Couldn't get any of the oil filter wrenches we had to work.This was like midnight in a town where everything closed prior to 6. So, I ended up having to drive 30 minutes to find a Wal*Mart and get the damn oil filter socket. Came right off with that, but wouldn't budge with anything else.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

I think they had a Gorilla with an impact wrench. I don't even remember what it took to get the thing off, but I remember it wasn't easy at all.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Mine was soo tight that the filter wrench wasn't really doing much of anything. So I had to wrap a towel in between the filter and the wrench, that's when it came loose.
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Had to crush mine with a large wrench to get enough grip to turn the filter. About tore my arm out of the socket trying to get it with my bare hands.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

forget the filter how about the drain plug...
pmh013

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by pmh013 »

I took mine to my local mechanic. That was nearly 3 years ago now!
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
ColonelPanic

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ColonelPanic »

No problems here.... I used one of these suckers. Came right off. (removed)

Attached files

Image Image
binary

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »No problems here.... I used one of these suckers. Came right off. (removed) Ha ha ha, yeah - that's the way to go.
03VibeGT6Spd

Post by 03VibeGT6Spd »

I have a steel pipe with a slot in the top end of it.And I use a 1" wide leather belt.the other end has a small hole to place a screw driver or 3/8" extention in it for leverage.I have yet to find a oil filter this can't loosen."And old trucker showed me one he made, back in the 90's to remove those big fuel filters on the semi's"I made one within a few days and have used it numerous times sense.
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Mine was pretty tight..but as I forgot to bring my grip wrench (you know, the ones they have on TV with the rubber strap?) and didn't feel like shelling out cash for a wrench... I stabbed a screwdriver through the filter and used that to twist it off...worked darn well, too!I punched a hole in the bottom to drain it before I did that, of course.. The new filter is the K&N, so it has the bump so I can use one of the sockets I have..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
redlava

Re: (Jahntassa)

Post by redlava »

Thats why I take mine to a service station. They get to deal with that crap, not me.
binary

Re: (redlava)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by redlava »Thats why I take mine to a service station. They get to deal with that crap, not me. Where's the adventure in letting Chuck the grease monkey (removed) and moan about your car? It's true though, I should have negotiated with the dealer for a couple of free oil changes... then I would have someone local to cuss out when the oil filter takes an act of God to remove.I have to say, the dead squirrel in my toolbox sucked worse than getting the fsckin' filter off...
binary

Post by binary »

Wife's Vibe just hit 2500 miles and I did her oil change... again, needed channel locks to get the damn filter off.Looks like the gasket Toyota filters have on them are just a cheap O-ring and don't compress like the rubber gaskets in most filters. This would make them more prone to leak if they were installed without the use of air tools.
BOZACK

Re: (binary)

Post by BOZACK »

I take mine back to the dealer for oil changes. The salesman through in four free oil changes if I bought the car. I am due for my second one now. Binary, I have a problem with Grey Squirrels here. But a good pellet gun keeps them in check. More fun too. And no goo.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I changed my oil for the first time at 800 miles; when I went over to Toyota to buy filters and washers, I noticed they had oil filter ratchet adapters on display right next to them. Anyway, I skipped on the Toyo adapter but noted the diameter size and then went to Walmart, where they can be had for $5. Works like a charm...
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I don't think they put the customary coating of oil on the filter sealing gasket. That makes all the difference. I'll find out soon enough. Doing my 1st oil change within the next week or so.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
Toolman

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by Toolman »

I havent changed mine yet, but I am not looking forward now. I will get the screwdriver ready to stab through the filter when I do.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
SublimeVibe

Re: (Toolman)

Post by SublimeVibe »

I had to use a filter wrench on mine then switched to the ones from FRAM that have the grip strip on top and have never had to use a wrench since and never had a leak.
2003 VibeAWD Envy(sublime)wCharcoalPower pkg.Enkei EVO5 Hyper Black 07/08Vibe floor matsMud flaps Hood DeflectorLimo tint on rear and side windowsstainless steel insterts
Raven

Re: (SublimeVibe)

Post by Raven »

Mine was so tight that when I stabbed a screwdriver through it, the screwdriver ripped through the metal when I tried to turn the filter. It was the longest oil change I ever performed and my throat was raw from screaming profanities. Luckily I live in the country or somebody would have phoned the cops.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Mine came right off. I had to go get a new filter wrench . mine were all too big. Easiest first time oil change I ever had.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
UndaCuva

Post by UndaCuva »

I have no idea. Dealer gave me 9 free oil changes when I bought 'er. Only used one so far.
Vibe

Re: What do you think your factory oil filter was put on with?

Post by Vibe »

A 100ft lb impact gun . It was a bear to get off!!!
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I did like digger, go the filter socket-Walmart- Easy, but impossible without.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
Mavrik

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

any vehicle due for its first oil change is a *****.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ColonelPanic

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »any vehicle due for its first oil change is a *****.Nuh-uh! Mine was pretty easy, I just handed them the keys and said, "here, change the oil!" I learned a valuable lesson from the Vibe, and chose to not bother doing this myself this time around. It's worth it to me so I can be a lazy bum, being lazy comes first, money comes second. I'll continue with letting them deal with it. But anyway, yes, a lot of truth to that statement. If it isn't the oil filter hell, you still have to deal with the surprises of how the oil is going to run out everywhere when you remove that filter. It takes a couple o' changes to get a good "system" down sometimes.

Image Image
isaaclud

Post by isaaclud »

BY THE HAND OF GOD.....MY GOD that thing was hard to get off....my 06' had 1900 miles and I wanted the break-in oiloutta there....YOU WANNA KNOW HOW LONG I WAS DOWN THERE!?!no you dont.....i actually punctured it with a screwdriver tried to turn itthat way but the oil filter just started tearing apart.....finally with a vice grips and screwdriver and some "PLEASE GOD"did that thing come off....i mean DAYUM!!
PEACEISAAC
slvrvibes

Post by slvrvibes »

Mine was a bit tight, but I got it off with not too much of a struggle.
genvibe garage
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

You guy's weren't kidding, the filter was a bi*** to remove. I used a socket style wrench to remove it and had to apply so much force that the wrench got stuck to the filter. I had to pry it out with a screwdriver after it drained. I replaced it with a K/N Gold filter and Castrol Syntec 5W30.
fmwright

Post by fmwright »

36 inch long pipe wrench......
'06 Salsa RedSun & Sound 1 CDSirius 'Gotta have my Howard'
J-freakie

Post by J-freakie »

I just took my hand, griped it and took my left arm and put it around my wrist. Its known as the "monkey grip" and did that. It wasn't as hard as you guys made it sound like. And, im not even that big of a guy.dan
"I will no longer talk to my wife just as long as there is a TV in this house". Al Bundy
Whelan

Re: What do you think your factory oil filter was put on with? (Vibe)

Post by Whelan »

I have a few ideasCan't forget Green LanternThe Filters Must Be Tighten, yaaahoooyaaa!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
binary

Re: (J-freakie)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by J-freakie »I just took my hand, griped it and took my left arm and put it around my wrist. Its known as the "monkey grip" and did that. It wasn't as hard as you guys made it sound like. And, im not even that big of a guy.danHrm, are you sure that was your first oil change? I'm no slouch and I spent many years turning wrenches... but then again, maybe my desk job is making me a wuss...
Sublimewind

Re: (binary)

Post by Sublimewind »

= no problems...
kevera

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind » = no problems... That's exactly what worked on my first one.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil