Scheduled oil change

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
old man winter

Scheduled oil change

Post by old man winter »

Where does everyone go for his or her scheduled oil change.
VibeInTx

Re: Scheduled oil change (old man winter)

Post by VibeInTx »

I tried to go to jiffy-lube, but when they said they couldn't do it because it wasn't in their computer yet, I started doing my own.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Scheduled oil change (VibeInTx)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

Usually, I do it myself during summer and I go to my dealr to have it done during winter. I hate changing oil when it is -25 celcius outside.
VibeInTx

Re: Scheduled oil change (Salsa!)

Post by VibeInTx »

That's where Jiffy Lube comes in . They are down the street from me, so I walk it over there.
Sub-Vibe-R

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

quote:How do you guys get rid of the used oil??? don't tell me you just put it in the garbage!Very good to start a fire in camping LOL
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

I do a combination of myself or local GM dealer. Depending on weather, time, etc. all factors on what I end up doing.
PBFlash

Re: Scheduled oil change (NSimkins)

Post by PBFlash »

I have always done it myself. It doesn't take too long and it saves $15 over Jiffy Lube. Not much but it's 3/4 tank of gas every other month. I bring the used oil back to the auto parts store where I buy my oil.
Satellite Vibe GTMoons and Tunes Package with 6-Disc In Dash CD, Safety/Security/Power Packages, cargo mat. 35% tint all around (except windshield)18 in Motegi Racing MR8 Wheels/Nitto NT 555 225/40ZR-18 tiresStainless Steel Exhaust TipInjen CAIPics of my Vibe CarDomain.com
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:How do you guys get rid of the used oil??? don't tell me you just put it in the garbage!Naw, you just take it to Autozone, Pep Boys, ect. and they send it to get recycled.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
shenandoah24

Post by shenandoah24 »

I took my car to the dealer today to get the rear wiper checked on (it was in-op) and decided to get the oil changed while I was there. I was expecting to pay US$25.99 like the sign said, but they informed me that the first 9 oil changes only cost $5.00 to cover the cost of the filter. I was definitely happy about that, but I was sure to let them know that the salesman should have let me know because I had stopped a jiffy-lube yesterday, and luckily didn't get the oil changed because the wait was too long (not real jiffy). They acted like I was nuts for even complaining. I told them it is a very nice benefit to purchasing the car there, but they really should let people know. They finally saw it my way and rotated the tires for free!!!!! I love free stuff. (and they fixed the wiper...I love the warranty too!!!!)
Heather Proud vibe owner I'M DRIVING IT 'TIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF! IT HAS SURVIVED ABUSE FROM A DUCK......A COYOTE...AN ARMADILLO...A HUGE DEER (NONE OF THEM WERE PETS EITHER ) ...AND A DAUGHTER....WHAT A CAR! 106K AND STILL GOING STRONG!!!!
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:How do you guys get rid of the used oil??? don't tell me you just put it in the garbage!You can get rid of used oil at Auto zone. As long as the used oil is in some kind of seal container you can just leave the used oil in front of the back door at Auto zone and they have a tank they dump it in. Every month a truck comes and emptys there tank.Of course if they are open they can just take it around in back also. This is a free thing.
avarice

Re: Scheduled oil change (Admin II)

Post by avarice »

As far as getting rid of the oil goes, if an auto parts store is not a viable option, check your local dump or waste facility. In Miami-Dade county at least, they accept waste oil as well as other household and automotive chemicals. You just take it to the back and empty the bottle into a large container.
Abyss Vibe GT 6-SpeedTook her home 9/21/02
shadow

Re: Scheduled oil change (avarice)

Post by shadow »

So I've heard from a couple people that you should change the oil after about the first 1000 miles. In fact the salesmen at the dealer that sold me my car suggested this. So being the good little new car owner I decided to take the car in on Saturday to the dealer by my house. After the change I paid the 25 bucks and drove on a 250 mile round trip to visit some friends. On the outbound leg of my trip I noticed some grime on the windshield. I used the washers to try to get it off but it just smudged. I didn't think much of it until when on the return trip I stopped to get gas. I checked the oil, like I always do after getting a change (I've had the oil cap left off before, etc.) and notice the frickin' tech had sprayed oil all over the engine bay, on the firewall, on the under side of the hood and of course on the windshield. With 1650 miles on the car you can bet I was pissed. I took it to the dealer this morning. They cleaned the windshield and wiped off the engine intake cover. I stopped again to check it on the way to work and noticed that the oil was very full. I checked the service receipt and the morons put 5 quarts in a base engine. The requirement is 3.9. My questions are: is the first change at 1000 miles a myth, how bad is overfilling by a quart and driving 300 miles, why are Pontiac dealers so dumb!!!! It's possible that the dealer thought I had a GT engine but I seriously doubt it. Sorry for the long one. I'm just pissed and venting. Oh yeah, I think I'll be doing my own changes from now on. At least I can only blame myself if it's screwed up!!
NovaResource

Re: Scheduled oil change (shadow)

Post by NovaResource »

quote:My questions are: is the first change at 1000 miles a mythYears ago, no, it was not a myth. Today it is no longer necessary.quote:how bad is overfilling by a quart and driving 300 milesNo damage. Overfilling just allows the crank and rods to spin in the oil (instead above it) creating a parasitic loss of power and fuel economy. Imaging running in 2 feet of water.
shadow

Re: Scheduled oil change (NovaResource)

Post by shadow »

Thanks "basic A-hole"! It's good to know that my car is just "running in water" (great analogy by the way) and not running into a concrete wall. I talked to the dealer and they are going to drain, refill and detail my engine. I guees they are making an effort. I just love going to the dealer 3 times to get my oil changes (can you tell I have a bad attitude today?).
BigWill

Post by BigWill »

How about this...My dealer told me that if we get our oil changed with them, they use Mobile 1, and that if used...we not have to change the oil but once every 3 months. I looked at him like, "what the Heck??? " I have never heard of that one, I think he is just trying to get some more money. Somebody talk to me pleaseeeeeeeeeee or him. Let me know what I am missing out on about oil changes...LOL
My Vibe... 5% Smoke Tint;Pioneer DEH 7400MP; 2 Rockerdfos. tweet; one 10" woofer Rockerdfos; (updating now to; Volfenhag ZX-7160 800 Watt 4 Channel Amp, VOLFENHAG ZX-4710 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer-800 Watts)
115 V Vibrator

Re: Scheduled oil change (BigWill)

Post by 115 V Vibrator »

Synthetic oil lasts longer, some places I've read up to twice as long. Whenever I use it I let it go for about 150% the time of normal oil. So no, the dealer isn't feeding you BS for once. But still....just because the oil doesn't break down, that doesn't mean there arent deposits in it. So for breaking an engine in, I'd stick with normal oil and change often for the first 5k miles or so.
BigWill

Re: Scheduled oil change (115 V Vibrator)

Post by BigWill »

thanks Vibrator...I was wondering about that one...
My Vibe... 5% Smoke Tint;Pioneer DEH 7400MP; 2 Rockerdfos. tweet; one 10" woofer Rockerdfos; (updating now to; Volfenhag ZX-7160 800 Watt 4 Channel Amp, VOLFENHAG ZX-4710 10" Aluminum Cone Woofer-800 Watts)
115 V Vibrator

Re: Scheduled oil change (silverawd26)

Post by 115 V Vibrator »

Oh yeah, and what Silverwad said. Synthetic oil maintains a consistent vicosity over a wider temperature range....so the engine labors less when cold, and it is protected better when HOT. So if you make lots of short trips in the winter, synthetic might be a good choice.
BigWill

Re: Scheduled oil change (115 V Vibrator)

Post by BigWill »

I travel a hour to work and back, so what do you think I should use?
BigWill

Post by BigWill »

thanks man....I needed that. So in the long haul, I will save money and on maint.
Shadow Realm

Post by Shadow Realm »

I just drop my Vibe off at the service dept when I get to work and I go home it's done. Perks of working at a Pontiac dealership Before I got into the car business, I used to do my own oil changes and usually used synthetic. Most of my previous cars were Honda's or Toyota's.
Abyss Monotone GT, 6 speed, Moon & Tunes, Power Group,and 16" Alloys. Soon you can see my Vibe GT at Shadowrealm's car pics but for now it is under construction!
Cubanpete

Re: Scheduled oil change (Sub-Vibe-R)

Post by Cubanpete »

Same here........I normally do it at Home myself........but this cold has made it impossible to work for long periods in the Garage........it freezing like mad.....
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

silverawd26 all ready recommended AMSOIL and said you can extend your oil change intervals to 5,000. Depending on what oil your useing from AMSOIL you can extend between 25,000 to 35,000 or one year which ever comes first.This is a huge savings. I am using series 2000 0W30. It's recommended for 35,000 miles or one year. I'm also using a AMSOIL Super Duty Oil filter rated for 12,500 miles or 6 months. At the 6 month period or 12,500 mark I'm going to have a oil analysis done. I'll report back with the findings. I expect nothing but good news though.There is a huge saving using AMSOIL though.Plus the fact you only have to change the oil once a year and filter twice a year.
DABEAR95

Re: Scheduled oil change (NovaResource)

Post by DABEAR95 »

quote:My questions are: is the first change at 1000 miles a myth[QUOTE]Years ago, no, it was not a myth. Today it is no longer necessary. Debateable. I can send a few oil analysis results to you that will make you want to change your oil early on a new ride...quote:how bad is overfilling by a quart and driving 300 milesNo damage. Overfilling just allows the crank and rods to spin in the oil (instead above it) creating a parasitic loss of power and fuel economy. Imaging running in 2 feet of water. This depends on the design of the engine. It can cause problems with the seals and rods as already mentioned. The crank can flex some when smashing against the fluid. Fluid does not compress [/QUOTE]
2003 Vibe GT Lava w/accent + 17'' wheels2002 VW Golf TDI 43City/52Highway lifetime1995 Camaro Z28 CAI,!TB,Airfoil,Shorty Headers,!CAT,Borla exhaust, 3.73's w/eaton posi. 13.5@105 with 245/50/16 Michelin XGT's = no traction
Cubanpete

Re: Scheduled oil change (DABEAR95)

Post by Cubanpete »

I Changed mine Yesterday at 1500 Kilometres..........
Lorin

Re: Scheduled oil change

Post by Lorin »

Growing up, we used to dump the oil on and old stump we had, let it soak in, and set it on fire. Eventually the stump was gone. That was the old days before recycling - at least it wasn't draining (all the way) into the ground and contaminating our well. Prob. wouldn't have in Indiana with clay layers separating the aquifers - more than likely would have trashed somebodys well three houses down the hood! At the town gravel pit / trailor park, they would spray the motor oil from the trucks and machinery on the gravel driveways to keep the dust down. What a mess! What a slum... fast forward....When I moved to Lafayette IN my neighbor insisted on dumping his oil at the base of a telephone pole, on MY side of the property line! What an environmental terrorist....
Lorin2003 Pontiac Vibe GT, Neptune-mono, moons & tunes, power package, side impact airbags, rear seat covers, bumper protector, cargo mat.Mods installed: TRD exhaust, TRD stb, Mods removed: TRD CAI - annoyed by CEL
johnsoax

Re: Scheduled oil change

Post by johnsoax »

I guess that I am a little confused why you guys say that good oil and such will stretch your oil changes to 5000 miles. I've changed the oil in my families cars over 3000 since I was 14 (now 25). My mothers 1996 Chrysler Concord's transmission just went out last week with 189k miles on it, we were lucky if we changed the oil every 7500 miles on it. Motor was still fine. I changed the oil on my 1990 Plymouth Laser (that I traded in on my Vibe) every 5000 miles. I used QuakerState high milage oil and a fram filter from when I bought it (69k) to when I traded it (120k) and it was still going strong. My 89 S-10 that I gave to my parents for my sister was treated the same way. It has just over 110k and it is still running like new.The manual has two maintenace scheduals, Light, and Heavy. I always go to the middle of the two and have cars last much longer than they are worth keeping.I was planning on changing my oil in the Vibe GT at 2K and then at 5k and then every 5k after that. (Using Quaker State oil and a Fram filter) I don't see why this should be a problem. Can anyone tell me otherwise?
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
Triton

Re: Scheduled oil change (johnsoax)

Post by Triton »

My dealer owes me a couple of free oil changes through them, so I am going that route for the first two. Then I will be doing my own in both my wiifes car and my Vibe. I am going to do it every 3,000 miles. I am almost there now.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
d_m_kolb

Re: Scheduled oil change (Triton GT)

Post by d_m_kolb »

There is no need to change your oil every 3,000 miles but it is your money and if it gives you peace of mind that's ok too.
ragingfish

Re: Scheduled oil change (Admin II)

Post by ragingfish »

You mentioned using 0W-30 oil Admin II...What is the difference between 0W-30 and the recommended 5W-30?I bought a Toyota oil filter today (#90915-YZZA2) and am looking to pick up oil that is decent, but not mad expensive...people talk about Mobil 1...is this good stuff? I'm intrigued by your AMSoil, but at the point in time, I'm just gonna buy some stuff locally...Maybe once I get the hang of this "oil change" thing I'll spend the big bucks on the better stuff...Also, what tools do I need for an oil change...I know I need a drain bucket, a new filter and washer (got it), and new oil...someone said something about a wrench? What kinda wrench do I need? I wanna know I have everything I need to do this so once I start, I can finish successfully...Thanks everyone...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

So say I had a car that used 10W-30...I could use 5W-30 OR 0W-30 in it? You can use any oil which has the same second number, but an equal or lower first number?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I was just throwing out a hypothetical...Trying to understand the different oil ratings...I didn't mean for the Vibe...actually, I think my Sunfire took 10W-30...that's why I asked...

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Aight, maybe it was the Bonneville...I was just curious about the differences in numbers and stuff...

2009 PONTIAC G8
d_m_kolb

Re: Scheduled oil change (ragingfish)

Post by d_m_kolb »

The main difference between Amsoil's 0W-30 and their 5W-30 is the 0W-30 is recommended for 35,000 miles or one year verses the 5W-30 which is recommended for 25,000 miles or one year.The 0W-30 has a more expensive additive package in it thus allowing the longer use.The 5W-30 is a superior oil as well. I ask customers how many miles they drive a year? If it's below 25,000 I'll recommended 5W-30. If it's above 25,000 I'll recommend 0W-30.The first number in a oil weight tells you what weight the oil is when cold. The lower the number the better it flows in the engine when cold. So the 0 flows better at start up getting to all the engine parts slightly faster than the 5W would. Since both are 30 weights they can be used in hot climates as well with superior wear protection.Also as a Preferred Customer you can purchase Amsoil 5W-30 for the same price you buy Mobil 1 at Autozone.So you can do the math. Same price but you pay that price every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or just once a year. Amsoil will save you money and wear and tear on your vehicle.
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

i have just over 3K moderate hi-way and city miles on my vibe since mar 03. i hope the factory oil job is a quality one. anyone know if i should get a change sooner or later with the factory oil. or does it nolt matter, oil is oil?
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

so in your mind i am overdue for one?
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Oil is not oil. All oils are different and preform differenty in different situations.A cheap conventional is just that (Cheap) and all though you may think your saving money at the time you wont be in the end.
kep427

Post by kep427 »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa! »How do you guys get rid of the used oil??? don't tell me you just put it in the garbage!Out here in Nor Cal they pick it up with the other recyclables. You just have to put it in a plastic milk jug and duct tape the cap. I've been to the county waste transfer stations and watched them transfer the oil from the milk jugs to a tank for later recycling.You should try and get your county/state to do the same. Sure saves a lot of creeks, rivers, and lakes from boneheads that dump the oil down the gutter drain.
Happy owner of a '04 base Vibe
ebslopp

Post by ebslopp »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa! »How do you guys get rid of the used oil??? don't tell me you just put it in the garbage!Our city has a free oil recycling service. I just set it on the curb in a sealed container, and twice a month the recycling truck comes around. They also pick up cans, paper, plastic, and glass. In other towns that I've lived, they had a place where you had to transport your used oil to. Or you can bring it to an oil change place and have them dispose of it for you for a small fee.I think they put the used oil into the Wal-Mart brand oil bottles and resell it...lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
futseal04

Re: Scheduled oil change (ebslopp)

Post by futseal04 »

I just take my used oil to autozone......or kragen...or whatever auto parts sore is in the neighborhood.....they usually take it or will tell you of a place that does.
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
drunkenmaxx

Re: Scheduled oil change (futseal04)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

ok, i changed my oil the other day and accidently got 10w 30 instead of 5w. is this going to harm anything other than my mileage?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
futseal04

Re: Scheduled oil change (drunkenvibe)

Post by futseal04 »

It shouldn't....the 10 just means that it is a little more viscous than 5W when it is cold. The only difference that you should see is a little more cranking time on cold days.
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
drunkenmaxx

Re: Scheduled oil change (futseal04)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

whew. good good good. god forbid i have to spend another $9.50 to change my oil again!!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
eilros

Re: Scheduled oil change (drunkenvibe)

Post by eilros »

I haven't had to change the oil yet but I'm going to take it to the local Toyota dealer mainly because I can't stand the Pontiac dealer in my town.
2004 Satellite Base