Wiper replacments....

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
spoonman

Wiper replacments....

Post by spoonman »

Ok, I am having a brain fart here and I am hoping all you guys on here can give me a hand. I have found a few different threads regarding the rear wiper replacements,sizes, etc, but I can't find anything on the front wipers. It is time to either get new inserts or the whole blade, but I can't find anything on what sizes they are....... Thanks for the help!
'04 Monotone Satellite Base Vibe, 5-Spd. w/ ABS, power and M&T Packages
ebslopp

Re: Wiper replacments.... (spoonman)

Post by ebslopp »

I think if you look in the giant book-o-wipers next to the refill display, it will tell you which to buy. Otherwise, just ask a salesperson at Autozone. They can pull it up on their computer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Raging's right, 18" and 21" are what you need... I couldn't remember what size blades I needed, and Wal-Mart's electronic thingy actually was right. I'm on my third set up front now, just put some on last week...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
spoonman

Re: Wiper replacments.... (ColonelPanic)

Post by spoonman »

Thanks guys!!! I knew I could count on you!!!! I don't know why I didn't find the info on the fronts the first time I searched..... Oh well, now get them replaced..... VernPS.... Cool new look of the forum!! I really like it!
'04 Monotone Satellite Base Vibe, 5-Spd. w/ ABS, power and M&T Packages
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Do many of you Northerners use the "Booted" winter Blade in the wintwer time??? Do they give better performance during the winter months??
ragingfish

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ragingfish »

I tried those this past winter...While there was nominal performance improvements, I wouldn't necessarily buy them again...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
sylvainber

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by sylvainber »

if you get a lot of thaw/freeze in your area, the booted wipers work best. with regular (canucks call them 'summer' wipers) if ice forms within the flexarm structure of the wiper, it won't hug the windshield as well and will not perform as it shouldi change my wipers 2x a year and always put the booted ones on for winter. the funny thing is that here in IL, pepboys doesn't even carry them until late november. btw, i use a 22" wiper on the driver side. it eliminates the notch (wiping gap near the top of the passenger wiper travel) you get between the 21/18 set, which always leave a drip on the windshield.
Salsa 2-tone Basecargo nets, liner and seatback storageThe best thing about having my previous car totaled in an accident is that i got a Vibe to replace it
kostby

Post by kostby »

Don't overlook using RainX or equivalent to make it easier to remove accumulated frost/ice/snow. It also seems to extend the life of the blades, because I seldom use them for rain.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
kcinmi

Re: (kostby)

Post by kcinmi »

I Agree, Id swear by RAin X. even in the heaviest rains I dont have to turn on the wipers. It also lets snow and Ice slide off the glass better.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
ColonelPanic

Re: (kcinmi)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Anybody tried their washer fluid? I have some in mine now, don't really know if it makes a difference, I already had some Rain-X on the windshield.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
simon

Re: (sylvainber)

Post by simon »

Good tip about the 22" blades on the driver side. I bought my winter blades at UAP and had to get a 16" for the passenger side as the 18" wouldn't fit.
Raven

Re: (simon)

Post by Raven »

I just replaced my summer blades with a 22" and 18" which I got with my Petro-points from Petro Canada. They fit no problem. The 21" blades are hard to find and I was very pleased that the 22" works so well.
kcinmi

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by kcinmi »

The Rain X washer fluid is a waste of money, It takes the Rain X off the glass just like regular washer fluid.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
SCTM

Post by SCTM »

Using AQUAPEL for few years now with great result, then regular winter washing fluid for cleaning.http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/main.htm
SCTM QUÉBEC Base 5spd Satellite, 20-35%back-tint, 3M film, HiddenHitch, Motegi Racing MR8, Orbit Remote Starter/5Doors, Winter GoodYear UltraGrip ice... and Lawnmower 310CCA battery !
MoonDogg

Post by MoonDogg »

Quote, originally posted by kcinmi »The Rain X washer fluid is a waste of money, It takes the Rain X off the glass just like regular washer fluid.I use Rain X washer fluid exclusively, and don't use the regular Rain X and it works great... I hardly have to use my wipers at all...
2004 Vibe GT Fusion OrangeOptions: M&T, Monotone Paint, 35% TintMods: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X659 HU, Orion CS200.4 amp, Kicker Comp VR 10" sub, Megan Racing STB, Injen CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, brass shifter bushing, underbody orange neon's.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by kcinmi »The Rain X washer fluid is a waste of money, It takes the Rain X off the glass just like regular washer fluid.I have never had a problem with it....
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i tried using the rain-x fluid in the past and found that my wipers (when i HAD to use them, which i'll admit wasn't often) performed worse than they should have.Does the rain-x, while making it easier for water to bead up and roll off, make things not as 'nice' for wipers?
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
UWAdventurer

Post by UWAdventurer »

Yes, the annoying drip on the drivers side with a 20" winter blade (Had one on hand, decided to use it). Now have a winter 22" blade on the drivers side and winter 18" blade on the pass side. MUCH better! They do really help in foul weather.
2005 Base Salsa Monotone w/ Gold pinstripe & Graphite Interior, 20%Tinted Windows, Automatic, Power Group, Moon & Tunes, XM Satallite, 16" Alloys w/Kleen Wheels & Splash Guards, ABS, FIAMM Air Horns, Side curtain air bags
simon

Post by simon »

I tried regular winter wipers and found that when I got up over 110kph the drivers side lifted off the windshield on the downward stroke. I'm hoping that Canadian Tire are going to get some Reflex wipers in soon so I can try those.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

They come from the factory on the G6 and they look pretty damn cool!Haven't had any rain or snow to try them yet...

2009 PONTIAC G8
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by simon »I tried regular winter wipers and found that when I got up over 110kph the drivers side lifted off the windshield on the downward stroke. I'm hoping that Canadian Tire are going to get some Reflex wipers in soon so I can try those. I've had the same experience with almost all winter wipers on all my vehicles. The rubber covering acts like a wing lifting the blades off the window. If they had the little winglets on them, maybe they would stay down. I've never seen winter blades with this feature. Is there a picture of the Reflex blades somewhere?
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

2009 PONTIAC G8
MadBill

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by MadBill »

Hmmm... If nothing else, it looks like the Reflex blades would accept those little clip-on airfoil's if necessary...
vibegtdriver

Re: (MoonDogg)

Post by vibegtdriver »

Quote, originally posted by MoonDogg »I use Rain X washer fluid exclusively, and don't use the regular Rain X and it works great... I hardly have to use my wipers at all... I agree that the Rain X washer fluid works great. Its cheaper however to just slather on Rain X on a cloth and apply by hand. However, in the winter, it sure is nice to just refill the resevoir rather than trying to apply Rain X in 0 degree weather!