2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
OldGeek

2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by OldGeek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Our 2008 Vibe's heat shield (the one between the exhaust and the fuel tank) has detached at the rear where a bolt originally screwed into a plastic piece that is attached to the fuel tank strap. I could not see this clearly until I raised the back of the car as much as I could and was able to crawl under it -- yes, it IS on jack stands. I could see that there was something between the fuel tank strap and the heat shield, but I could not make out what.

When I looked online, on GM parts sites I could see that the fuel tank strap is shown with a protrusion -- and it is the same part# (88973477) for both 2007 and 2008 models. But the aftermarket sites (e.g., Dorman, Spectra) show different part numbers and different drawings for the two model years: for 2007 they show a strap with an integral attachment point for the heat shield, whereas for 2008 they show just a strap with a hole, and none of the vendors could tell me how this was supposed to work.

I bought the strap for a 2007 model (which I still have time to return) but have not been able to install it because I have not yet managed to remove the heat shield. The center bolt at the front -- close to the exhaust pipe -- is rusted in place, and no amount of PB Blaster has enabled me to loosen it. A bolt extractor simply ground away the head, and now the bracket into which the bolt screws is loose but not yet completely detached; it looks as though it is riveted to the body. And if I cannot remove the heat shield I cannot replace the existing fuel tank strap with the new one.

Perhaps the simplest method would be to get a replacement for that plastic part if one is available that could simply be slid onto the existing strap, but I cannot find such a thing listed anywhere. Is it available?

Suggestions, please?

OldGeek

Update: 2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by OldGeek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I searched for help on the ToyotaNation forum, since the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe are near-identical twins, and found a report that that plastic part became unavailable years ago. (So I suggest that the part that Dorman &co. list as only for models up to 2007 should in fact be considered to have superseded the part that they list for 2008 models.)

Further prodding showed that the rear end of the heat shield would in fact stay in place (but not very securely, of course) if I pushed hard against the bolt, so I thought I would try epoxying the threaded part back in place, but I made the mistake of trying to unscrew the bolt from it -- and sheared the bolt.

Time for a redneck repair: I threaded an 8" zip tie through an appropriately sized washer, up through the hole in the heat shield, through the plastic part (parallel to the strap), back down through the hole and the washer, and through a suitably sized nut (3/8", I think, and then pulled it tight. Everything seems firm.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JdacG ... 8NGZdBJRdg

zbyers

Re: 2008 Vibe Heat shield is loose

Post by zbyers » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:40 am

I think at this point I've removed all heat shields on mine.
(2) '03 Bases, '03 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '09 AWD
GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index
GenVibe Meet 2019

OldGeek

Post by OldGeek » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am

I don't think removing the heat shield between the exhaust system and the fuel tank is a very smart move.

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am

OldGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am
I don't think removing the heat shield between the exhaust system and the fuel tank is a very smart move.
Been there done that. About 5 years, no issue.
(2) '03 Bases, '03 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '09 AWD
GenVibe on Facebook, Everything You Need To Know About Vibes, Great How-To Index
GenVibe Meet 2019