'09 Vibe GT - Engine & Transmission Mount Replacement

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
XYooper906

'09 Vibe GT - Engine & Transmission Mount Replacement

Post by XYooper906 »

My 2009 GT that I bought this year had higher than normal vibration at idle while in "D" or "R". I suspected bad engine/transmission mounts, and my suspicions were confirmed with a quick inspection.

The worst ones were the front and rear mounts. The rubber was badly torn on them. I replaced them in September of this year. It made a difference, but the vibrations were not completely eliminated.

This month I replaced the L/H mount first, and most recently the R/H mount. WOW! What a difference! It really smoothed things out after the final one was replaced.

The main reason I spaced things out on the replacement of them was that I had trouble getting them. The front, rear, and L/H ones were ordered from an online dealer website, and they only had the front & rear ones. The L/H one was on "national backorder", with no known date of delivery. At first, I didn't think that I needed to replace the R/H one (it is difficult to inspect while installed.) I later determined that it was also bad, and then I had the same problem trying to get the R/H one. I eventually found both the L/H and R/H ones at a dealer in an adjacent state.

More than one dealer told me that the L/H & R/H mounts were "discontinued" by GM. I don't know for sure if that's true, but if you're experiencing the same vibration symptoms, you may want to try to find the mounts sooner, rather than later.

You can still get aftermarket mounts quite readily, but I've had bad experience with those on another vehicle in the past. They were "OK" in the summertime, but when the weather turned cold, the car would really vibrate. I suspect that they use an inferior rubber compound that didn't have as wide of a temperature range. I ultimately ended up buying the OEM parts to cure that problem. Also, the equivalent Toyota parts may not be difficult to get, but of the ones that I called about, there seemed to be quite a difference in price, compared to the GM part.

Here are the part numbers replaced on my vehicle: (Verify the correct numbers for your particular vehicle)

88975617 - R/H Engine Mount
88975636 - L/H Transmission Mount
88975592 - Front Transmission Mount
88975604 - Rear Transmission Mount
XYooper906

Re: '09 Vibe GT - Engine & Transmission Mount Replacement

Post by XYooper906 »

Front and rear mounts.
Attachments
Rear Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg
Rear Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg (107.14 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
Front Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg
Front Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
XYooper906

Post by XYooper906 »

Left and right mounts.
Attachments
RH Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg
RH Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg (103.26 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
LH Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg
LH Mount - Reduced - WithText.jpg (88.02 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice research and thanks for sharing. What did this entire job set you back $$$ ? My son's 2009 Vibe Gt gets driven real rough and I'm sure as he approaches 100k miles, it will need some suspension work done if not more. His steering column rattle is really bad whereas mine is still quiet. Just curious :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
XYooper906

Post by XYooper906 »

tpollauf wrote:Nice research and thanks for sharing. What did this entire job set you back $$$ ? My son's 2009 Vibe Gt gets driven real rough and I'm sure as he approaches 100k miles, it will need some suspension work done if not more. His steering column rattle is really bad whereas mine is still quiet. Just curious :)
In total, it was about $415 to replace all 4 mounts, including shipping. Had the original website had all 4 mounts available at their advertised prices, it would have been about $100 LESS. But since I had to source 2 of them from a dealership, the cost was significantly higher.

I'm still glad that I replaced them, it even feels smoother while driving.
professorjedi

Post by professorjedi »

Hey sorry to revive old post, but I think I'm headed for this same thing with my 2010 Vibe. Do you know of any online guides or videos ? I think I'm going to have to DIY this :)

Thanks!

Mike
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

This is on a Gen 1 . If you have the 1.8 L engine it should apply to your car as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jj1_iIwHbw
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
professorjedi

Post by professorjedi »

I have the 2.4L and I'm not sure if there's as much room at back of engine to get to the rear motor mount. Will have to investigate tomorrow
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The 2.4L is the same as found in the Camry.
https://youtu.be/Bj-2feNObbQ
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Ace Barker

Post by Ace Barker »

The best money I could spend was to replace the mounts. No vibration. Still runs great. 09 Vibe GT 2.4 engine.

Ace...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!