Road Trip

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
gtv237

Road Trip

Post by gtv237 »

Hello! I am taking my vibe on a road trip starting Memorial Day weekend. I live in Indiana and I am venturing to Colorado to visit my dad and then further west to explore the southwest. Namely Utah, Nevada and Arizona. I am going to be driving probably about 5,000 miles total. The vibe shouldn't have a problem but I'm just trying to gather a list of some good to-do's before I make the trip. My vibe has a bit over 125,000 miles (I drive a lot :oops:) I've already done quite a bit of basic maintenance. When I bought it I did the clutch, air filter, PCV valve, spark plugs, brakes and motor mounts. I also replaced all the fluids (engine oil obviously, brake fluid, coolant and transmission fluid. More recently, in preparation of the trip I've cleaned the MAF and throttle body, replaced the struts and tires and aligned it.

The car's in very good shape but here's a list of things I am going to do in the next couple weeks just to save me a headache later on.

-The battery (It's tests 80% amazingly but it's original)
-Wiper blades
-Serpentine belt (It's in good shape but has a lot of miles)
-Check spare tire pressure and inspect emergency jack
-Check all light bulbs (headlights, turn signals, side markers, tag light.)

Can you guys think of anything else I should do? I am somewhat worried about the water pump because they go bad all the time on 2ZR-FE motors. Usually before 100k and mines original! I may just go ahead and replace it with the thermostat just to be on the safe side.

Any tips or advice are appreciated. I've never gone on a road trip before. :mrgreen:
vibrologist

Re: Road Trip

Post by vibrologist »

That's going to be a long road trip. I hope you give yourself enough time to see the sights.

I found some ergonomic issues with my vibe that I solved satisfactorily on low budget. Click on the link in my signature.

As far as your car goes you probably did more than enough. Taking a credit card along. That may just be all you need now for assurance. It works like an umbrella: when you have it with you you won't need it, but the one time you don't you'll be in a torrential rain. ;)

Take plenty of water to drink. When you get tired, tighten up all the muscles to send some blood to the brain. Do little runs and exercises when you take a break.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I think you've pretty much got everything covered. I'm sure the Vibe will perform flawlessly!

I will be looking forward to lots of neat pictures of your Vibe from all over the country ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Maybe be better to rent a car or Suv
jolt

Post by jolt »

Check or replace your hose's. Being water and tape in case you get a leak. Check radiator and A/C . The hot weather and long trips, that the car has not seen in a while, can make these parts act up. Just make sure the cooling system is in good shape.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Just curious.. are you going to be camping out of your Vibe, as well? I've got gear to do that very thing, just haven't tested it out yet. I got the inspiration from a lady who does this out of a Prius, she posted about how she sets it up, here is a link to some of it: http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/2010/02/prius-rv.html

The Vibe almost the same interior space as a Prius, give or take a few inches to either/or. The only way big plus a Prius has over a Vibe, in my opinion, is the ability to run the A/C and heat at night. Durnit. But with some netting on cracked windows and a fan and waiting until it's cooler out to go to sleep, it might be alright.

I'm about to hit the road myself, aiming to drive all 48 U.S. states. Bought a used van, though, and outfitted the inside. Not as good a gas mileage as my Vibe, for sure, but more space and a full bed. Heck, I can almost stand up straight in it, and I'm 5'6". I think my Vibe is jealous to not be going.. I can almost see her sad face. :(
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Thanks for all the comments and good advice. Memorial day is getting closer and closer and I'm trying to make sure I get everything ready. I have decided to go ahead and do the water pump and thermostat. It never hurts to do a little preventative maintenance.

vibrologist, I do worry a bit about driver fatigue. Honestly I can't imagine what it's like. As I said I've never been on the road for more than 3-4 hours straight. I plan on bringing plenty of water and healthy snacking food for the drive.

Vibenvy, I appriciate the confidence. I'll do my best to snap a picture of my vibe in every state I visit.

Jolt, as I said before. I am replacing the water pump and thermostat just to be on the safe side. I am also going to do a comprehensive inspection before I take off. The hoses all feel very stiff and I have no leaks, of any fluid.

Meshami, this concept is very appealing to me for some reason. And yes I am planning on 'camping' in my vibe to avoid hotel costs :lol: You should start a thread here with picture of your van and everything you're doing.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Nasmfell wrote:Maybe be better to rent a car or Suv
No way.
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

gtv237 wrote: Meshami, this concept is very appealing to me for some reason. And yes I am planning on 'camping' in my vibe to avoid hotel costs :lol: You should start a thread here with picture of your van and everything you're doing.
But this forum is more for Vibe's ;) not vans. Or I totally would!! lol http://adventuresofhulajohn.blogspot.com Documenting it. Hitting my second state today, leaving in just a few hours.

As for camping in the Vibe, though, they make a skinny blow up mattress that fits pretty darn great on the bigger side of the split seat, I bought mine at Walmart. When trying it out one day, my daughter crawled into the sleeping bag on it and I almost couldn't get her out of it, haha.

Hey, they also make these: http://www.tailveil.com/ And yes, I have contacted them, they assured me they work for Vibe's. :)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Meshami: you have no excuses. There is a forum called "The Others" which is the perfect place to document the van.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

vegetony

Post by vegetony »

1. Do you have AAA or other road service associated with your insurance? Search the web and I think there may be 30-day free trials of AAA somewhere.
2. Duct Tape? It's always good for camping, or temporary first aid ;)
3. A tarp?
4. GPS?
5. Extra battery for cell phone?
6. Binoculars for viewing the sights and wildlife?

Load the 511 traffic information websites for each state you visit in your cell phone. Also check for road construction info on the routes you plan to take. Nothing like getting stuck in a traffic jam for three hours to ruin your day.

I can't emphasize enough how dangerous road fatigue is. It creeps up quickly. I'd stop and get out every three hours or so whether you think you need it or not. Especially if you haven't driven more than 3-4 hours at a time before.

FWIW I have trouble sleeping at high altitudes, such as in Colorado, particularly because I live in Fla. If you're camping, you may consider an over the counter mild sleep aid to help you relax. Maybe even a sleep mask?

If you're camping IN the Vibe, practice sleeping in it for a night or two. You'll figure out better how to stay comfortable for more than a few minutes at a time.

Sounds like a wonderful start to the summer!
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Well I got the last of my maintinence items today. I'm going to be busy tomorrow!

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

gtv237 wrote:
No way.
:D :) ;) Wise decision. The optimist here on this site really know what we're doing and would never steer another member in the wrong direction!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

gtv237 wrote:
No way.

Well it would save wear and tear on your Vibe :)
GOF

Post by GOF »

Nasmfell wrote:
gtv237 wrote:
No way.

Well it would save wear and tear on your Vibe :)
Sure. But he will probably have to sell the Vibe to pay for the rental. ;)
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

:lol: Maybe.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Maybe be better to rent a cat or Suv
When you rent a car and get a flat and find out it has no spare...You could be in for lots of fun with the rental agency trying to get a replacement!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Maybe be better to rent a cat or Suv
When you rent a car and get a flat and find out it has no spare...You could be in for lots of fun with the rental agency trying to get a replacement!

True, it pays to check out the car before leaving the lot :)
jake75

Post by jake75 »

A couple years ago I flew to Denver and rented a Chevy Malibu at Hertz for 4 days as I was driving to Vail. Cost $68 on Priceline.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Well she's lubed up and ready to go. Today I finished up packing, changed the oil and fitted her with a CB radio. Heading out tomorrow after work. Wish me luck!

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

You asked for it:

good luck.jpg
good luck.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I think you will have no trouble at all. If it were a PT Cruiser, on the other hand :shock:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Would love to see some pics or thoughts on the work you did. I think I'm going to start a 09 tune up thread.

I've got 216K on mine and it still has the orig water pump, alternator and starter which is pretty amazing.

Only thing I would add, if you've never journeyed across the center of the country is that it is really boring. You'll even have trouble finding radio stations so bring tunes or books on CD if you don't have XM. You'll do pretty well diverting down towards Colorado rather than having to take 80 straight across. Even the interstate is pretty desolate as the truckers are few and far between going West.

If you wait to rent hotels as you go, use your smartphone if you have it to make reservations in the parking lot before you go inside so you don't get killed on rates. If you take a scenic trips it's nice to get at least one night for every night you spend in the vehicle.
I drove it with a UHaul, and slept in the back on my mattress at truck stops but it still wasn't the same comfort.
You'll get quite the experience pushing the vibe up and then down the western mountain range...
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

ctgottapee - I dont think I took any pictures of the work. I'd be glad to take some pics or answer any questions. And yes you're right about i80. I took it from indiana to colorado and it was extremely mind numbing. I definitely won't be taking it back.

Just wanted to update with a pic.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great picture! Love that Mystic Blue Metallic! Looks better without the cheesy aftermarket wheel covers IMO. Have fun and have a safe rest of your trip.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Here's what steelies look like with a coat of POR-15:

Put the coating on last fall. All I've done is hose them off occasionally.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
Nathankenney94

Post by Nathankenney94 »

How is the trip going?