What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
lannvouivre

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by lannvouivre »

vibrologist wrote:I can relate. I once bought a cheap spring compressor tool. The threads were stripping right off even before the spring started compressing. I now borrow such tools from the Parts store. They loan out the good tools. It is worthwhile to have a good quality socket set of your own.
I have sets of good sockets, but none of those were 12 points, which is what I needed on those bolts. I have since located some Husky 12-point metric sockets that I will buy if I ever have money again.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
trb

Post by trb »

Put some jewelry on the 03 GT today, courtesy of Carrie! Thanks!!!

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:Put some jewelry on the 03 GT today, courtesy of Carrie! Thanks!!!

You're very welcome Thomas! It looks great :cool:! I'll let you know when the one from my mom's Vibe is available :P!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

After restoring my headlights with Sylvanias kit I decided to change out my headlights & fog lights for a fresh start. What a difference, The bulbs were a mix of old & new over the last 7 years. All lights are are nice & bright 8-) In all the years I have owned a car i never changed all the headlights at once. When I found out from here that halogen bubs dim over time, it was time to change. I leave work at 12:30 am now so the increased light output is appreciated :D Now when im at the stoplight next to a "newer" car I dont feel like I have candles in my headlights :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The Sylvania kit works wonderfully.

Yesterday I replaced the headlight bulbs as well, I noticed the driver's headlight was out. 'Course these were Sylvania Xtravisions installed back in late July. :? Going by what data I have logged for runtime per tank according to the ScanGauge, this bulb only lasted approximately 130 hours. The headlight bulbs that came out prior to the Xtravisions were the ones installed from the factory 12 years ago and were still kicking (albeit dimly.) :?

I replaced 'em with a pair of standard Sylvanias. I liked the extra output but meh. If I would have remembered I tried these back when I had my Vibe years ago, I wouldn't have bothered and just replaced them with standards.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I almost bought the xtra visions a second time, but they only lasted about a year. I did like the increased light output though. I went with the standards as well, they last for years ! I hate trying to change the bulb behind the battery :|
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I purchased a full set of brand new Corolla (embossed) mats from craigslist for $60. They came with new hooks should I ever break one/two. I'll keep them as my summer mats. I've asked the same "toyota insider" to find me a matrix cargo mat since the matrix is now out of production. Fingers crossed.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

went to the local toyota dealer (warren, MI.) what a dump! picked up some clips for the undercar plastic wind baffles for $1.50 each. i needed an embarrassing 6, which does not count the 2 that i have zip-tied into place. so, basically all of them had broken. glad i bought an entire bag of 10... also picked up a gallon of pre-diluted toyota pink SLLC coolant. i've been a quart or so low for as long as i can remember.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Caretaker wrote:I purchased a full set of brand new Corolla (embossed) mats from craigslist for $60. They came with new hooks should I ever break one/two. I'll keep them as my summer mats. I've asked the same "toyota insider" to find me a matrix cargo mat since the matrix is now out of production. Fingers crossed.
I've seen it done! Although I've also seen quintuple-stacked floor mats so...
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

vibrologist wrote:I can relate. I once bought a cheap spring compressor tool. The threads were stripping right off even before the spring started compressing. I now borrow such tools from the Parts store. They loan out the good tools. It is worthwhile to have a good quality socket set of your own.
I have this compressor which is the same thing that parts stores loan out.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W89322-Pro ... B00030422O
Very affordable especially if you hate having to borrow tools. Used them 3 times and have full confidence they will not bend/break.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Ok, let's try this again!

Need a new front trans mount bracket, replacement trans did not have one.
Bolt up exhaust manifold to cat.
Install intake tube.
Install axles.
Add coolant, trans fluid.
Replace PCV hose.
Text start.
Reassemble wheel hubs and struts areas.
Test run.
Test drive.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Pulled and reinstalled the driver's side axle and seal, hooked up the steering knuckles, filled the coolant, filled the ATF more, and drove her!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Last weekend both Vibes turned over 55,000 miles. Last Saturday I did oil changes on both of them with Penzoil convetional 5W-20 and Toyota oil filters. Topped off the windshield washer fluid, cleaned the air and cabin filters and inflated the tires to 35 PSI and the spares to 60 PSI. Everything looked great as always! I also did partial interior details on both of them (a quick dusting of the dash and vacuuming). Last but not least, filled both of them up with gas and added a bottle of Techron to each.

A couple weeks ago, I switched from the Nokya hyper yellow Stage 1 halogen bulbs I had in my fog lights to a pair of DDM Tuning 35w 5000k #9006 bulbs. The #9006 bulbs fit perfectly in the fog lights (the fog lights are actually #9145 / H10) and they don't flicker like all the #9145 / H10 HID bulbs I've tried. I'm really liking the white fog lights and headlights, as opposed to yellow fog lights and white headlights. I ordered a pair of 35w 5000k #9006 bulbs from DDM yesterday to put in the fog lights of my mom's Vibe as she has said she prefers the white fog lights to yellow too :|.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I checked the oil level. I am 1300 miles from home and wanted to see if the engine needs a drop or two. No is the answer.

Last Saturday we packed the Vibe with luggage for 3 adults plus a big duffel bag full of clothes to hand down to family and hit the highway. The fold down rear seats came in handy to make space for a suitcase. Seating in the front was reasonably comfortable. The person in the rear seat was a bit cramped. As expected the Vibe performed admirably with only one little hitch: the 110V AC was dead.

We made a break in Indianapolis to peek into the Indiana Museum of Arts. This was a nice stop to brake the monotony of the Midwestern Interstates. Our overnight stop was in Georgetown, KY. Next day we rolled on to near Greenville, NC. We will return this Sunday and Monday.

I showed the car off to my in-laws. They were not impressed and probably think I am a bit nuts to show excitement for this box.

BIL has a Lexus LS 450 or some such in his garage. It has a dust cover over it and it is hooked up to a battery minder because the computer and alarm system drain the battery in 4 or 5 days. The car has less than 100K on it and gets maybe 2000 miles per year. He used a soft bristle toothbrush to remove a tiny bit of wax out of a crevice. The Lexus shares the garage with an '07 Ford Explorer Sport Track. It is just the right thing to visit the golf courses in the area. The Explorer is immaculate except for one ding on the passenger door duly imparted on it by an errant golf ball. The Explorer has about 70K on the clock. I would not buy a car with less than 70K on it. I also took the liberty to call the Lexus a garage queen. This was probably a faux pas to Southern sensibilities but truth must be spoken.

My wife, a born anti gear head who will not drive a car outside of town, drove the the Vibe for the first time all of one block distance. She liked the upright seating.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Today began the healing process from where the dealer destroyed the dash whilst performing Toyota's filter hack job on the SRS wiring harness. It needs a new radio bezel and shifter surround. I tackled the former today.

The A/C and recirculate button light kept flaking out where it required a bang on the switch to illuminate, I took a look at the bulb when I pulled the switch assembly. The bulbs I have on hand like what the HVAC control head uses (Toyota P/N 90072-02005) are somewhat similar to this one. The switch bulb does have a slightly different socket and a slight difference in length (old left, new right obviously.)

But a quick run to the car for a test shows the bulb worked fine, so I pulled off the red condom off the original bulb and stuck it on the new. Lights up OK now, hopefully all looks well tonight.

I still need to find a bulb to go into the rear defrost switch as it's been burned out for years. But it's significantly smaller in the socket than the 90072-02005, so sadly that can not be used as a replacement. If anyone happens to know the Toyota P/N on that thing, let me know.

Yay, we now have a bezel that will actually snap in at the top since all the clips and tabs are present. :twisted:

Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

A week ago this past Thursday I had a doctor's appointment in Naperville which is about an hour's drive from Sandwich. The weather that whole week had been really cold (single digit temperatures and below zero wind chills). I didn't have any problems starting my Vibe at work that entire week, but that Thursday night was especially nasty out. Blowing snow and a pretty strong wind. My mom went with me and after leaving the doctor, we stopped at a store. My mom went in and was in there for about 15 minutes. That entire time I was sitting in the Vibe with the engine off, but the ignition was on and I was listening to a CD. When my mom came out, I went to start the Vibe and the oil light and battery lights barely flickered and the engine wouldn't turn over. My mom and I looked at each other and thought, "Oh crap!" Not a good time for a dead battery. I turned the key a couple more times and held it for a few seconds. Finally, the Red Top got enough power to start the engine. We were so relieved. We made a couple more stops on our way home and all was well. The Vibe ran fine and I haven't had any more issues over the past week. I am convinced that having the radio on coupled with the blowing and brutally cold temperatures was a bad combination. I am also convinced that had the battery been a regular old battery, it would not have started without a jump. I am so glad I invested in Red Tops for both Vibes!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

picked up a gently used set of Corolla floor mats for my Vibe while I was down in Tampa last week looking for a new home. Only $20. I scrubbed them well, and hung them on the roof for the winter sun to dry. I now have a nice clean set of mats to get me through the winter. I also recently purchased a brand new set of Corolla mats for $60 from a worker at a dealership. They will serve as my summer mats. The Corolla mats seem easier to find on craigslist, although the rubber backing on our OEM Vibe (second gen) mats is a higher quality than that of the Corolla mats. I also picked up a Matrix cargo mat from a Toyota dealer on the north side of Tampa for only $69 (online special with delivery for only 99 cents more). Now I have Corolla and Matrix logos all over the inside of my car. Here's the link for the Matrix mats. You can go back to the beginning and do a search on an earlier Corolla/Matrix for other accessories.

http://partstoyotaoftampabay.com/partlo ... startrow=1
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Installed the AISIN water pump yesterday. Did not fully remove the alternator, just unbolted the top, loosened the bottom, and pivoted it back.

Getting the bolt in closest to the tensioner is annoying beyond words.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Forgot to post this at the time, but a couple months ago I bought WeatherTech front floor mats for both Vibes. My heal had worn a hole in the driver's side mat in Frosty a couple years ago, and I was starting to see a hole in the mat in Stealth as well. Got the WeatherTech's dealer installed in the 2012 CR-V and like them, so I put them in both Vibes and my truck too.

Had a scary thing a couple months ago, my daughter found an oil puddle under Frosty one morning. I pulled it up on the ramps and found the oil filter was very loose. This was right after a week of below 0° temps, not sure if that played a role but I suspect it contributed. This filter only had about 2k miles on it but I changed it and the oil anyway, in case the seal or seat had picked up some dirt/contamination.

I checked Stealth and it was loose too and had some oil dripping, but not as bad as Frosty. I've always just oiled the seal and screwed them on just till the seal contacts the seat, then about 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. Guess I'll tighten a little more from now on. Still think that the sudden intense cold somehow caused the seal to break and then let the filter start to back off. Scared me.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I've changed my own oil for decades. I always lubricate the seal and hand tighten the filter until I cannot turn it any further. I then use a tool (strap/cup/wrench) to tighten it 1/4 turn more. I definitely have to use a tool to get it back off again, as it should be. Hope all is well.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've never needed to go that tight, and the only time I need a tool to remove the filter is if a dealer or other shop has done the change. I've never had a filter leak before now. After this happened I tightened both of them down pretty good, we'll see what it takes to get them off next time.

Frosty started leaking just a day or two after I got it back from the repair following my daughter's last accident. I'm wondering if maybe the impact didn't knock it a little loose, or at least enough to break the seal, and then it gradually backed off after that. That and temps that stayed below 0°F for a solid week.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Called Safelite auto glass and made an appointment for a NEW WINDSHIELD :x Yep, Junior's Vibe GT took a stone the other week and it finally spread into a full length horizontal crack. Oh well. someone repaired a stone chip prior to us owning the car and it is exactly in the front view where you constantly see it while driving. This literally was driving me nuts the few times I drove his Vibe. It will be gone tomorrow when the new windshield gets put in.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Last Sunday I took both Vibes to the local car wash and sprayed them off with high pressure plain water. I also took the GM rubber mats out and sprayed them off too. I did my mom's Vibe first. I took it home, pulled it into the garage and wiped it down with a wet microfiber towel and than dried it. It looked great when I was all done. I also checked the tire pressure and gave the interior a quick cleaning.
vibenvy wrote:A week ago this past Thursday I had a doctor's appointment in Naperville which is about an hour's drive from Sandwich. The weather that whole week had been really cold (single digit temperatures and below zero wind chills). I didn't have any problems starting my Vibe at work that entire week, but that Thursday night was especially nasty out. Blowing snow and a pretty strong wind. My mom went with me and after leaving the doctor, we stopped at a store. My mom went in and was in there for about 15 minutes. That entire time I was sitting in the Vibe with the engine off, but the ignition was on and I was listening to a CD. When my mom came out, I went to start the Vibe and the oil light and battery lights barely flickered and the engine wouldn't turn over. My mom and I looked at each other and thought, "Oh crap!" Not a good time for a dead battery. I turned the key a couple more times and held it for a few seconds. Finally, the Red Top got enough power to start the engine. We were so relieved. We made a couple more stops on our way home and all was well. The Vibe ran fine and I haven't had any more issues over the past week. I am convinced that having the radio on coupled with the blowing and brutally cold temperatures was a bad combination. I am also convinced that had the battery been a regular old battery, it would not have started without a jump. I am so glad I invested in Red Tops for both Vibes!
While I was at the car wash in my Vibe, I had to wait for a couple vehicles in front of me, so I had the key turned so I could listen to the radio. I was sitting there for a few minutes until the first person was done. I started the Vibe and pulled ahead to wait for the next person to get done. That person finished in another 5 or so minutes, so I once again started the Vibe and pulled ahead into the bay. I spent about 5 minutes spraying the Vibe and the floor mats off. I went to start the Vibe to leave and I had the same dead battery-type issue that I had a few weeks back (see the above quote). After a couple times of holding the key for a second or two it started and has been fine ever since. I am wondering if the starter or alternator or something isn't getting ready to crap out. I've always been able to have the radio on for hours without ever having a problem starting the Vibe and now all of a sudden it seems like in about 15 minutes of having the radio on, the battery (or whatever else) is totally dead :(. Any opinions, comments, suggestions, etc.? I've checked the battery terminals and anything else I could think of and everything is nice and tight as it should be :|.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

First, do a battery load test. It can be done with a load tester or a multimeter.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pl ... mp=yhs-001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

trb

Post by trb »

Finally changed the rear engine/transmission mount in the 03 GT. What a difference it makes! I haven't driven it hard yet, but I don't have the drastic on and off throttle torque steer anymore. Also did my first oil change on it, using Mobile 1 High Mileage like the prior owner used. It's been good for the past 180K, so I'll keep using it.

Earlier in the week I picked up a few new shoes for the Vibe also. One brand new BFG Touring TA and a couple more that are almost brand new, mounted on 17' wheels from jamesmetarie on here. We met when he was on his way to Victoria Texas. A couple of the wheels have some curb rash, but at least two of them are good enough to run on the car. So now I have a some new tires when the Michelins wear out.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

There's always something exciting to post that I have done to this car. </sarcasm> :?

The original antenna has been looking rough for several years but recently accelerated its disintegration as you can see above. Replaced it with a new GM part, approximately $25.

Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibrologist wrote:First, do a battery load test. It can be done with a load tester or a multimeter.
Thanks for the info! I don't have a load tester or multimeter, so I'll probably just stop by Auto Zone and have them test the battery (This is something they can do, correct?). I'll keep you posted...
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Saturday I got a chance to meet up with Tim once more, but this time I went to Toledo and got to do something which will undoubtedly cause me to burn a LOT of my personal cash in the future: use a four-post lift.

My father was very jealous.

I finally got a chance to mount my newest mod: a trailer hitch I bought for pocket change! This will help me move around every six months like I'll have to do for school.

I also changed my oil and tried to plug up an exhaust leak where the cat meets the new midpipe. May need to do something about that if the leak comes back...
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

vibenvy wrote:
vibrologist wrote:First, do a battery load test. It can be done with a load tester or a multimeter.
Thanks for the info! I don't have a load tester or multimeter, so I'll probably just stop by Auto Zone and have them test the battery (This is something they can do, correct?). I'll keep you posted...
Yes they can do that. However, they are in the business of selling batteries and alternators. I think they could be biased with their diagnosis.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

vibrologist wrote:
vibenvy wrote:
Yes they can do that. However, they are in the business of selling batteries and alternators. I think they could be biased with their diagnosis.
I worked at Advance Auto Parts and did these tests daily. There is no bias because the machine prints out the diagnosis, and many times they said batteries were fine. Car people tend to not want to hurt other car people. I (quietly) got mad when people assumed I was just trying to sell them things when in all reality I just wanted to help.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Drain and refill auto trans. Good for another 60K. Trans shifts much smoother. Actually feels smoother overall 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Drain and refill auto trans. Good for another 60K. Trans shifts much smoother. Actually feels smoother overall 8-)
Doing that tomorrow, maybe... I know, I am a terrible Vibe person for I still have not dumped the original fluid. Oops. :cry: Just shy of 104k. The fluid is dark but still red tinted and doesn't smell particularly awful. It still shifts good but I can tell it isn't as good as it was. I've been doing a bunch of stop and go in this thing and have noticed that shift quality degrades along with it. Hope it's not too late! If it is, not much I can do old fluid or new.

I'm at 5k into this OCI so a new Wix 2ZZ spec filter and some fresh dino also await.

And I'll try to work out some rattles with the rear speakers and try some sound deadening experiments.

Looking forward to the nice weekend!

Image Image
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Treated my Vibe to it's first DIY oil change. It had been exclusively serviced by GM before I got it. Off with the small blue AC Delco filter, on with the big Toyota filter. Drain the cheap bulk oil, in with good synthetic.

Also, fixed my hood latch that wasn't working properly. Took the latch off, and reset the cable return spring. I can now raise the bump stops back up to where they should be.

Next up, a set of Cadillac four note horns. I can't take this "beep, excuse me, please" horn. I don't think other drivers can even hear it.
arthur13206

Post by arthur13206 »

I am having my Vibe towed to the Garage. For the third time in 3 weeks my Vibe will not work. Appears to be the same problem 3 times in a row. The engine runs about 5-10 minutes then it idles poorly and looses power. After it looses power it never gets over 5 MPH and will not clime the hill into my driveway. When I try to rev the engine it will only go up to 2K rpm.

The first time the garage replaced the Throttle body. The second time they replaced the Power Control Module. I seems to work fine when I pick it up then the engine light comes on. The problem keeps coming back after about a week. Anybody have this happen? I tried to search my problem here but can't find anything so far. Any ideas?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Without the actual diagnostic code, we really can't help you. The check engine light means it is throwing a diagnostic code that must be retrieved with an OBDII scanner.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

arthur: also let us know how old the car is, how many miles it has accumulated and any other repairs that were done. Start a new thread, because this one has already 59 pages.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibenvy wrote: Thanks for the info! I don't have a load tester or multimeter, so I'll probably just stop by Auto Zone and have them test the battery (This is something they can do, correct?). I'll keep you posted...
vibrologist wrote:Yes they can do that. However, they are in the business of selling batteries and alternators. I think they could be biased with their diagnosis.
Hadn't had a chance to stop by Auto Zone, so this past Wednesday when I went to leave work, the battery was completely dead. It was bitterly cold out, temperatures at or below zero and wind chills 20-30 below zero. I kept trying it and trying it and finally after about 15 minutes it caught and started. I drove it home and parked it in the garage. I drove my mom's Vibe to work Thursday and got a ride from my mom yesterday. Yesterday morning I pulled out my paperwork from when I bought our batteries (Optima 35 series Red Tops). Both were purchased at Farm & Fleet. Farm & Fleet has a 3 year free replacement warranty. My Red Top was purchased and installed on May 19, 2012, so it was just under 3 year free replacement period. I pulled it out of my Vibe this morning and took it to Farm & Fleet. They put it on one of their gadgets and the voltage read 12.1 which the guy said was slightly low. He put it on the charger and it kicked it off almost immediately. Long story short, the battery was bad and I got a brand new free replacement with a brand new 3 year warranty that starts today! I brought it home, put it in and started the Vibe. It started right up and even seemed to be running a little better than it had been as of late. On a bit of a side note, back in 2012, the 35 series Red Top was $166.99 at Farm & Fleet before the core exchange or anything. The current price for the same battery is $194.99. Glad to have this issue resolved without having to spend any money.

Last weekend, I stopped by my local tire shop (Flatso's in Yorkville, IL) to get a quote for new tires for the 18s for both Vibes. They quoted me $630.00 for 4 235/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 summer performance tires mounted and balanced. That's an awesome deal! I will be ordering the tires within the next couple weeks (income tax refund!) so the wheels and tires will be all ready to go back on when the weather warms up. Since I disabled the Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) on both Vibes last winter, I am going to have them install regular rubber valve stems and I'll be adding some chrome sleeves to them to dress up the wheels a bit more.
pepper2010

Post by pepper2010 »

Happy for you, Vibenvy, that you squeaked under the warranty on your battery, got a new one and all was good. It's a nice feeling, I know, had the same thing happen to me with a battery on the '04 Vibe... I just made the warranty. With the polar vortex cold we're all experiencing, our Vibes have been troopers. Such great cars! And of course it's snowing heavily again today... I can't even wash them, the temps are too low! Anyway, glad all is good for you now.
2004 White 1.8L Vibe
2010 Red 2.4L Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

pepper2010 wrote:Happy for you, Vibenvy, that you squeaked under the warranty on your battery, got a new one and all was good. It's a nice feeling, I know, had the same thing happen to me with a battery on the '04 Vibe... I just made the warranty. With the polar vortex cold we're all experiencing, our Vibes have been troopers. Such great cars! And of course it's snowing heavily again today... I can't even wash them, the temps are too low! Anyway, glad all is good for you now.
Thanks pepper!

Saturday evening I sprayed my mom's Vibe off at the car wash, brought it home, parked it in the garage and wiped it all down. It looked horrible. I wanted to do mine too but due to plans with family, weather, etc. didn't get around to it. Hopefully this weekend...
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I drove it! Finally.. The poor thing had to sit after the license plate got stolen. It was a week long ordeal getting it replaced. I'm going to rivet the new one on :lol:
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Well its what I DIDNT do to my Vibe today. I was waiting for my floor mats from 1stpontiacparts and they sent me the rear cargo mat AHHHHHH ! I been waiting for 3 weeks :roll: I even shampooed my interior in anticipation :(
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Today I had the tires rotated at Costco.

I wasn't satisfied with the new radio's performance since I didn't set the gain on the factory amp interface properly. 50 is the volume max and I often had to crank it up well into the 30's and beyond which also added some distortion. So, I pulled the radio and turned them up a bit. Sounds MUCH better now.

Image Image
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I took it through the car wash. It was saltier than a pretzel.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

MrManager

Post by MrManager »

Anything, major, minor. I've seen it on other forums. Might be motivation for people so share stuff they might feel isn't worthy of a thread in itself, and could help keep things alive.

I got my plates in the mail. I now need a front plate. I'm looking up alternate ways so I don't have to drill into the bumper.

Also I loaded my bike in it for the first time, but had an unsuccessful ride (too much snow still)

2009 Vibe GT
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yesterday it got up to around 40 degrees here in Chicagoland and the forecast for the next week shows no signs of snow, ice, rain, etc. so I got both Vibes cleaned up. I started with my mom's. I took it to the local car wash where I sprayed it off with the high pressure plain water rinse option. I removed the wheel covers so I could really spray down the steel wheels well and I hung the floor and cargo mats up on the wall of the bay so I could spray them off too. I got home and pulled the Vibe into the garage. I had a bucket of plain warm water that I used along with a microfiber towel to go over the whole exterior, than I followed that up with a dry microfiber towel to get rid of any water spots, etc. I wiped down the wheel wells, tires, wheels and wheel covers, before lastly adding some Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel to the tires to get that nice deep black look on them. I finished by going over the dash with a little duster and than vacuuming before re-installing the clean floor and cargo mats. I than did the same process all over again with my Vibe.

Surprisingly, this process of spraying the vehicles off with plain water and than going over them with a wet towel followed by a dry one works really well. It only takes an hour or so and the exteriors look really good. I will still use the good old "handwash with soap and water" process once the weather gets and stays warm, but this is definitely a good process to use during the winter months when I can't use the outside faucet.

Last weekend I decided to pull the "Seatback Table" label off the rear seatback table on the front passenger seat of my mom's Vibe because the corners of it were coming up. Big mistake! I figured it would come right off... WRONG! Than once I had it removed and noticed the plastic was all scratched to hell even though I was really careful scraping the adhesive off, I figured I could just order a new label through GM... WRONG AGAIN! After searching on both GMPartsDirect.com and GMPartsCenter.net and not finding anything, I emailed GMPartsCenter.net. They said they couldn't find anything in their parts catalog. I also checked TRD Sparks OEM Toyota parts catalog and found nothing. It looks like I'm going to have to get a whole new panel because I won't be able to stand looking at the scratched plastic. That panel costs about $115.00ish. Damn my vehicle related OCD :roll:! Oh well, at least it will be interesting to see whether or not the new panel comes with the label on it (I'm hoping not).
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

FYI there's a 59 page thread with the exact same title in the Maintenance Bay Forum ;)!

On a bit of a side note, you should consider getting a couple of the GM Accessories premium all weather cargo mats (#19170827) to lay down under your bike to protect all the interior plastic and keep the bike from sliding around. We have two of them in each of our Vibes. We simply stack them on top of each other when the rear seats are folded up and when they're folded down, we leave one covering the cargo area and pull the other up to cover the backs of the rear seats. They work great. They're heavy duty rubber and are very easy to clean if they get dirty (I simply take them to the local car wash and use the high pressure sprayer on them). Just a thought I had from looking at the picture of your muddy bike all loaded up in the Vibe :P.
Coolharts

Post by Coolharts »

I replaced the valve cover gasket, changed the oil, found a heater hose leaking, replaced one hose, ordered the other. I drained the coolant and will change it.

I pulled the shifter apart to replace the bulb, what a PITA. The easiest way to do it is to take off the shifter console, that thing is a poor design. Will pick up climate dash bulbs at the dealer tomorrow. Hose will also be in tomorrow.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Coolharts wrote:I replaced the valve cover gasket, changed the oil, found a heater hose leaking, replaced one hose, ordered the other. I drained the coolant and will change it.

I pulled the shifter apart to replace the bulb, what a PITA. The easiest way to do it is to take off the shifter console, that thing is a poor design. Will pick up climate dash bulbs at the dealer tomorrow. Hose will also be in tomorrow.
That's a great opportunity to reverse flush the heater core. I bet you get some crud out of there.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Coolharts wrote:I replaced the valve cover gasket, changed the oil, found a heater hose leaking, replaced one hose, ordered the other. I drained the coolant and will change it.

Those little bulbs are seriously expensive. I recommend finding some LED versions online. I believe I got mine form SuperBrightLEDs. Much cheaper than dealer, even with shipping.
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

Wow somehow missed this thread!

My new plates came in, I am looking for no drill solutions for mounting the front plate.

I have to take it to inspection, I might do it today, or wed.

Popped the hood to look at some stuff and realized that it already has a CAI, a Weapon R one. Could probably use a new filter though.
I also Noticed that it has a steering brace!

I filled up for the second time and calculated my MPG. I do all city driving, and am going through traffic a lot so I was expecting ~20mpg. Did the math and I averaged 22.78 MPG city! I'm beyond surprised, considering it's the first few weeks of me driving it, I thought it would be lower considering I didn't really know the right RPMs for it and that at times I accelerated a bit quicker.

The other day I loaded up my bike to go for a ride. I couldn't because there was still too much snow, I might get lucky today!

Last edited by MrManager on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe GT