Steering Problem

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
dcs577

Steering Problem

Post by dcs577 »

I have a 2006 AWD Vibe. 2 or 3 weeks ago, I noticed my steering had changed. When turning, the steering wheel doesn't return to center. It is also becoming more difficult to turn. My poweer steering fluid is full. The steering wheel also shakes some of the time when reaching 70mph....though it will randomly go away. Could this be an issue with the ball joints or is it more likely related to the power steering belt or pump? I'm taking it to a mechanic on Saturday. I'm concerned about driving it too much in this condition. Any help would be much appreciated.
sideshowalan

Re: Steering Problem

Post by sideshowalan »

More likely to be outer tie rod ends than ball joints. Only way to tell is to jack the car up and feel for play in tie rod joint.
Steering wheel shake could be related but it's probably just an out of balance wheel.

Let us know what the mechanic says.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

My outer tie rod ends made their wear obvious by having split boots dripping grease. You can check this by feeling for it as well, if you don't mind getting dirty and feeling horrible thick grease.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
dcs577

Post by dcs577 »

Just got back from the mechanic. They couldn't find any issues aside from the wheels needing to be aligned. They said I had a clod of mud underneath the car and something had damaged some of the undercarriage. I hit and ran over a deer a month or two ago but it didn't seem to cause much damage. Anyway, all I did has have the wheels aligned. After a short drive immediately afterwards, it seems to be behaving pretty much the same...but if they didn't find any other issues I guess it's okay?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Your steering wheel should always "want" to return to center on smooth roads. The weight of the suspension should be pulling your wheels back to the center. I think you may want to ask around at another mechanic.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Something is definitely wrong, it's just a matter of finding out what. If caster and camber are ok, you can add some stability with toe. The specs on vibes call for a perfect 0.00 toe. This can cause some steering wheel wonder on an older car. Especially if the alignment wasn't done perfect. I would recommend a slight toe in if you are having straight line issues. Maybe about +0.05 or +0.10 depending on how much the car wonders.

A few things you need to consider.
1) Is the steering wheel center?
2) Without your hand on the steering wheel does it pull to either side?
3) Does the steering wheel ever yank away from you during or after a turn?
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

the intermediate shaft cross bearing might be partially seized. it's the shaft bolted between the steering rack and the upper steering column. check the cross that sits before the shaft goes through the firewall.

to isolate this liberally spray penetrating oil all over the cross bearing. test drive. if the binding goes away, then process of elimination would determine what to do next.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Don't rule out the simple stuff, KISS always applies.

I had my tires rotated once and my Vibe basically became undriveable, it pulled so hard to the left I was driving in a right turn to try and go straight.

Try rotating the tires, see if that changes the handling at all.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Mark wrote:Don't rule out the simple stuff, KISS always applies.

I had my tires rotated once and my Vibe basically became undriveable, it pulled so hard to the left I was driving in a right turn to try and go straight.

Try rotating the tires, see if that changes the handling at all.
That's really good advice. Tires have a huge influence on handling. Even if they look awesome.