ECM/ECU Replacement

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
c2cummin

ECM/ECU Replacement

Post by c2cummin »

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried replacing their ECM with a used one?

Long story short I'm having a tachometer issue and from what I've found online the ECM ultimately needs to be replaced. It's a really rare issue so I could be wrong but I'm just wondering none the less.

If anyone has done it what are the steps? Can I just throw a used one in or does it need to be reprogrammed?

Thanks in advance!
2007 Base Vibe
Nasmfell

Re: ECM/ECU Replacement

Post by Nasmfell »

You answered your questions. :) If I'm not mistaken, the replacement ECM would need to match up with the one being replaced.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

Nasmfell wrote:You answered your questions. :) If I'm not mistaken, the replacement ECM would need to match up with the one being replaced.
Just match the same part number or would it have to go to a dealer for some kind of reprogramming? I'm just curious if I can grab one from a wrecker and throw it in to see if my other problem goes away. It's just a lot cheaper doing that away instead of getting a new one installed at a dealer for a ton of money
2007 Base Vibe
trb

Post by trb »

Found this post on here where someone did the same.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30729&p=345749&hil ... nt#p345749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it may show up if you put it on a computer that there is a different VIN number progammed in the PCM than what is on the car. That is probably what the dealer needs to reprogram.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

trb wrote:Found this post on here where someone did the same.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30729&p=345749&hil ... nt#p345749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it may show up if you put it on a computer that there is a different VIN number progammed in the PCM than what is on the car. That is probably what the dealer needs to reprogram.
Would that likely be all? There wouldn't be any performance issues or check engine light?
2007 Base Vibe
trb

Post by trb »

c2cummin wrote:
trb wrote:Found this post on here where someone did the same.

Would that likely be all? There wouldn't be any performance issues or check engine light?
No idea. That post was the only one I found on the same subject that you were asking about, replacing a PCM/ECM without dealer programming. That person never came back to update again, but it sounded like their car was running OK after the swap.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

c2cummin wrote:Would that likely be all? There wouldn't be any performance issues or check engine light?
Toyotas will throw a check engine light if you install a new ECU, which must have a VIN programmed into it using a Toyota dealership's special computer. Once the VIN on a Toyota ECU is set, it CANNOT be changed, so a used ECU will throw a code on a car that doesn't match its VIN.

I think the GM version of the Toyota ECU has totally different protocols. You would have to research and see if their ECU could be reflashed or not, however you have to remember that it's an odd duck because it is Toyota hardware with probably GM protocols for communicating to scan tools but possibly Toyota software for actually running the engine.

I can't say for sure on the Vibe ECU, but Fabian taught me how to do the ECU recall on a 2006 Corolla yesterday.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the car will run with the new ECU straight away, as far as I can tell.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
trb

Post by trb »

As a side note, do you know if the recall was done on this car? If not, you could get it replaced by GM if it is one of the recalled PCM/ECM/ECUs.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

trb wrote:As a side note, do you know if the recall was done on this car? If not, you could get it replaced by GM if it is one of the recalled PCM/ECM/ECUs.
The recall was performed on this car.

I'm not sure 100% the ECU is at fault for my problem or not just yet. I actually called a dealer and they said if the ECU was faulty it should throw an engine light. So they think my ECU should be fine and insist my problem is in my cluster.
2007 Base Vibe
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:
c2cummin wrote:Would that likely be all? There wouldn't be any performance issues or check engine light?
Toyotas will throw a check engine light if you install a new ECU, which must have a VIN programmed into it using a Toyota dealership's special computer. Once the VIN on a Toyota ECU is set, it CANNOT be changed, so a used ECU will throw a code on a car that doesn't match its VIN.

I think the GM version of the Toyota ECU has totally different protocols. You would have to research and see if their ECU could be reflashed or not, however you have to remember that it's an odd duck because it is Toyota hardware with probably GM protocols for communicating to scan tools but possibly Toyota software for actually running the engine.

I can't say for sure on the Vibe ECU, but Fabian taught me how to do the ECU recall on a 2006 Corolla yesterday.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the car will run with the new ECU straight away, as far as I can tell.

How did you end up reprogramming the ECU? Did you take to a dealer for that?
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

c2cummin wrote:How did you end up reprogramming the ECU? Did you take to a dealer for that?
Yes. Toyota has a special laptop you plug into the OBDII plug and you run a special program. No idea on GM, as I don't work there. There's an update for the 2006 Matrix so a heat-soaked engine will fire up faster, but I don't know if GM offers it. I want to have it done but as I mentioned, the protocols are different and so the Toyota scanner isn't even on speaking terms with Epona.

The one we set a VIN on was brand new. Was even in stock at the dealership! Very nice and shiny.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:
c2cummin wrote:How did you end up reprogramming the ECU? Did you take to a dealer for that?
Yes. Toyota has a special laptop you plug into the OBDII plug and you run a special program. No idea on GM, as I don't work there. There's an update for the 2006 Matrix so a heat-soaked engine will fire up faster, but I don't know if GM offers it. I want to have it done but as I mentioned, the protocols are different and so the Toyota scanner isn't even on speaking terms with Epona.

The one we set a VIN on was brand new. Was even in stock at the dealership! Very nice and shiny.
Would the programming really be that different? Just curious since the ECU in my car says Toyota on it. Everything actually other than the grill on the front says Toyota.

Just wondering because a friend of mine thinks he'll be able to program the VIN into the used ECU but is gathering tools/software required for doing so on a Toyota.
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

c2cummin wrote:Would the programming really be that different? Just curious since the ECU in my car says Toyota on it. Everything actually other than the grill on the front says Toyota.

Just wondering because a friend of mine thinks he'll be able to program the VIN into the used ECU but is gathering tools/software required for doing so on a Toyota.
The Toyota scan tool won't talk to my vibe the way it does a Toyota. You can talk to other cars using it but can only pull up codes and sometimes the live datastream. When it talks to Toyotas, it can recalibrate the programming, perform a health check, and some other functions. This is using a Techstream.

If you use Snap-On's Solus Pro, you can't use the Toyota personality key to talk to the ECU as well and have to use the same one as the GM vehicles.

I'm just saying it's at least different enough that you have to use GM communication programming.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:
c2cummin wrote:Would the programming really be that different? Just curious since the ECU in my car says Toyota on it. Everything actually other than the grill on the front says Toyota.

The Toyota scan tool won't talk to my vibe the way it does a Toyota. You can talk to other cars using it but can only pull up codes and sometimes the live datastream. When it talks to Toyotas, it can recalibrate the programming, perform a health check, and some other functions. This is using a Techstream.

If you use Snap-On's Solus Pro, you can't use the Toyota personality key to talk to the ECU as well and have to use the same one as the GM vehicles.

I'm just saying it's at least different enough that you have to use GM communication programming.
Thanks! Appreciate the heads up. I guess my attempts might be pointless if a used ECU can't have the VIN changed anyways... I don't really want to drive around with a check engine light on constantly. I might have to take to the dealer after all.

On a side note.....will the ECU always throw a light if its faulty? A dealer told me over the phone that there is no way the ECU can be bad unless the engine light is on.....just wondering if that's true or not.
2007 Base Vibe
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

Just an update.....had an engine light today. P2401...a cause of this code can be a faulty ECM! Looks like it's finally pooched! I'm guessing the ECM is done because of this and other issues....
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Double-check with the local GM dealership and ask if it can be reflashed with a new VIN, just in case.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and asked the guy who swapped his 2004 auto vibe to a manual whether he got a used ECU, but it's 12 am and I don't think he'll answer just now. I'm posting so I don't forget.

EDIT: He used a used ECU, but his was a 2003 or 4. 2005+ may be different.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot lately and asked the guy who swapped his 2004 auto vibe to a manual whether he got a used ECU, but it's 12 am and I don't think he'll answer just now. I'm posting so I don't forget.

EDIT: He used a used ECU, but his was a 2003 or 4. 2005+ may be different.
That would be good to know. I remember the recall was for 2005-2008 models so maybe they are different. I've just read around that a new ECU can cost around 1000 bucks so trying to get a good used to work would be great. A wrecker near me only wants 60 bucks for a used, but then again I am taking a gamble on a used one....
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

c2cummin wrote:That would be good to know. I remember the recall was for 2005-2008 models so maybe they are different. I've just read around that a new ECU can cost around 1000 bucks so trying to get a good used to work would be great. A wrecker near me only wants 60 bucks for a used, but then again I am taking a gamble on a used one....
Well, it's only $50. Just check the part number to make sure it's not one affected by the recall.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:
c2cummin wrote:That would be good to know. I remember the recall was for 2005-2008 models so maybe they are different. I've just read around that a new ECU can cost around 1000 bucks so trying to get a good used to work would be great. A wrecker near me only wants 60 bucks for a used, but then again I am taking a gamble on a used one....
Well, it's only $50. Just check the part number to make sure it's not one affected by the recall.
How do you check the part number? Is there an identifier in it to tell if it came from a recall? I'd just like to be able to tell before buying it if possible.
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

c2cummin wrote:How do you check the part number? Is there an identifier in it to tell if it came from a recall? I'd just like to be able to tell before buying it if possible.
If you remove the ECM, it will have the part number on it. There were specific batches that should be listed online somewhere.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_Campaign ... nterim.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if these numbers match up at all. You may also be able to call the dealership and inquire about the number (if the Vibe number is different); if they don't want to help, maybe send it to me and I'll threaten to crush the guys at my local dealer to death with my love handles if they don't cooperate :P
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:
c2cummin wrote:How do you check the part number? Is there an identifier in it to tell if it came from a recall? I'd just like to be able to tell before buying it if possible.
If you remove the ECM, it will have the part number on it. There were specific batches that should be listed online somewhere.

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_Campaign ... nterim.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know if these numbers match up at all. You may also be able to call the dealership and inquire about the number (if the Vibe number is different); if they don't want to help, maybe send it to me and I'll threaten to crush the guys at my local dealer to death with my love handles if they don't cooperate :P
That list is great! The ECM in the vibe says 'toyota' on it so I'm guessing these part numbers would match something that's in a vibe. I'll have this list handy if I get to wrecker's soon to check. At least it's a really good starting point.

I'm still not 100% sure that it's the ECM that's failed. A dealer told me it's the cluster itself but from what I've read about other people having this issue and ultimately it was the ECM being replaced that fixed it.
2007 Base Vibe
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

Just an update on this....I'm having the ECU replaced in a week or so. I went into my local GM dealer and explained the issue to the service manager and he agreed my problem could likely be a faulty ECU.

I will post another update when it's replaced.
2007 Base Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Where are you located, anyway? I just went to a salvage yard the other day to pick up a 2007 automatic transmission from a base Vibe, they may still have the ECM.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

lannvouivre wrote:Where are you located, anyway? I just went to a salvage yard the other day to pick up a 2007 automatic transmission from a base Vibe, they may still have the ECM.
Ontario, Canada. The cost from the dealer for a new one installed is going to be around 500 bucks. A bit of a gouge but for some reason I thought it'd be upwards for 1000. I went to my local salvage yard and they had 1 but a guy working there told me Toyota doesn't recommend putting a used one in....that I could have shifting problems. I didn't want anymore headaches so I decided to just go for a new one.

I price for a used one programmed and installed was over the half the price for a new one so I just decided to try new....

Hopefully it fixes my tachometer/AC problem.
2007 Base Vibe
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

Had the ECU replaced this past Monday. The issue didn't happen at least on the drive home from the dealer. I haven't really driven it since. I'm hoping it fixes me issue. If it does I plan to call/write GM Canada and ask them why a recalled part was replaced with a part that failed. Seems like BS to me.

Anyway....here's to hoping my problem is finally gone. 'Knock on wood'.
2007 Base Vibe
antdes45

Post by antdes45 »

Hi c2cummin, I'm having the same trouble as you did with my Matrix and was wondering if the new ECU fixed the problem in the long term.

While the tach jumps: temp needle stays low and the A/C relay flickers. Also, I get the 5 canister codes even though the canister works properly.
It's clearly not the tach sensor as the rpm is just fine when reading from OBD.
c2cummin

Post by c2cummin »

antdes45 wrote:Hi c2cummin, I'm having the same trouble as you did with my Matrix and was wondering if the new ECU fixed the problem in the long term.

While the tach jumps: temp needle stays low and the A/C relay flickers. Also, I get the 5 canister codes even though the canister works properly.
It's clearly not the tach sensor as the rpm is just fine when reading from OBD.
Sorry for the delayed reply!

The issue seems to be(hopefully) gone for good! I had the ECM replaced just after christmas and haven't experienced the issue since. I wasn't getting any codes though...so I'm not sure about that one. Was your ECM replaced under the recall at all?
2007 Base Vibe