Catalytic Converter ~! HELP !~

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
03GTMatthew

Catalytic Converter ~! HELP !~

Post by 03GTMatthew »

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

My check engine light has been on and off ever sense Iv bought the vibe back in December...

a few months ago, i did a lot of suspension work on the front end.
i also replaced the fuel cap with a $5 cap.
and once i was all done with the repairs. I returned the battery to the vibe.
the check engine light was off... and has stayed off ever sense..
but then after i went on a long trip 2 days ago. i got gas yesterday after a neither trip only about 100 miles... and i track my mpg as any genviber ;)
and my trip got me 35.2 mpg :D

but about 10 mikes after the gas station my vibe threw back on the check engine light...
so this morning i pulled off the gas cap and disconnected the battery and let it sit for a minute.. and the code was still there...

so went to autozone... "you've got a bad Catalytic Converter" my heart dropped :(

so im insearch of the best price..but i'v heard that replacements can make the car loader.. and I don't want that...

so far autozone has one for $375 but its Not legal for California...
I live in Wisconsin, but I want my vibe to last as long as my life. :D

please give me suggestions on what ones would work on the vibe..
also is there a difference on the 1zz-ge and my 2zz-ge??
03GTMatthew

Re: Catalytic Converter ~! HELP !~

Post by 03GTMatthew »

semi local muffler quota for $265 for the cat and install
but I don't know what brand it is and its not California compliant
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Not CA Compliant just means the cat manufacturer hasn't paid up for a CARB Complaint sticker. Unless you plan on registering the car in CA don't worry about it.
The price you were quoted sounds reasonable, it's cheaper because they're likely going to cut out the old one and weld in a no-name universal cat converter. The more epensive replacements come attached to a whole new section of pipe and get bolted on.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
jolt

Post by jolt »

You may want to check out this thread...
viewtopic.php?t=17587

Also what year, what engine, and what was the code?
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

2003 pontiac vibe gt 2zz-ge
i think i'm going to the o2 sensors just in case thats whats what made the cat go bad...

should i be worried about the no name cat?
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

03GTMatthew wrote:2003 pontiac vibe gt 2zz-ge
i think i'm going to the o2 sensors just in case thats whats what made the cat go bad...

should i be worried about the no name cat?
The universal replacement cats usually only last a couple years. The direct fit units are definitely worth the money.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

I went back to autozone and it was a p0420 code. But before I got back to autzone my check engine light turned back off..
I'm confused because autozone is saying to use this Catalyst Cleaner $25.. that should fix it unless its broken... but if i'm going to spend $25+tax and it doesn't work.. i would rather think of that $25+tax on changing out the converters....

I'm starting school next week and I need my vibe in tip top shape for the next 4 years plus since i'm paying for school all on my own..
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

whats anybody's thoughts on this?

gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

03GTMatthew wrote:I went back to autozone and it was a p0420 code. But before I got back to autzone my check engine light turned back off..
I'm confused because autozone is saying to use this Catalyst Cleaner $25.. that should fix it unless its broken... but if i'm going to spend $25+tax and it doesn't work.. i would rather think of that $25+tax on changing out the converters....

I'm starting school next week and I need my vibe in tip top shape for the next 4 years plus since i'm paying for school all on my own..
That catalyst cleaner won't do anything. The converter is bad and needs to be replaced. I know it sucks, because they're so expensive but I'll tell you from experience, you don't want to waste your time and money on cheap fixes. Just scrounge up the money for a direct fit and be done with it.
Raven

Post by Raven »

There are many, many causes for a code PO420. A bad cat is just about last on the list. Many unscrupulous garages will rip you off for a new cat only to have the CEL come back on weeks or months later. A vacuum leak, exhaust leak etc. can cause the PO420 code to appear. Do a search on this forum and on Google to see the numerous culprits and cures.
Don't run out and buy an expensive cat right away without exploring other possibilities first.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

I would like to get a new catalytic converter... but I would like to make sure its bad before I do get a new Catalytic converter... so this is what I'v got going on... I ordered a IF laser so I can determine the temperature of the cat before and after... also I ordered new O2 sensors... I did save $40+ buy shopping on amazon :D... If someone would be able to double check my part numbers... its denso 234-4233 and denso 234-4209.. this would be really helpful.. I'm not sure which one goes where... I think the 4209 is Post cat...

Thank you guys for the information you have gave me...

Iv learned so much on Catalytic Converter's today...
trb

Post by trb »

Raven wrote:There are many, many causes for a code PO420. A bad cat is just about last on the list. Many unscrupulous garages will rip you off for a new cat only to have the CEL come back on weeks or months later. A vacuum leak, exhaust leak etc. can cause the PO420 code to appear. Do a search on this forum and on Google to see the numerous culprits and cures.
Don't run out and buy an expensive cat right away without exploring other possibilities first.
The code does not say" Your cat is bad" it just lists it as a possible reason for the code. I've gotten the same code on my 03 GT and I've cleared it with my scanner, and I won't be bothering with it until it comes on again, and even then I won't spend any money on it until I have to get another emissions inspection next year.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My first 03 vibe threw P0420 a little after 100K miles. I tried the O2 sensors,but didn't help. Replaced the cat with an OEM one, and that fixed the problem. For about 120K miles. That Vibe used oil, never saw leaks or smoke, but I guess it burned it off, wasting the cat. So, while it may be the last reason on the list, I'd have saved a lot of time and money if I'd bumped it up to the top of the list.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

My vibe doesn't burn or use and oil.... i''m very thankful for that.. i'm checking my oil pretty regulatory..

I'v been expecting to do the oxygen sensors for a while now.. i'm pretty much always looking for my next project on the vibe. :D
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

trb wrote:The code does not say" Your cat is bad" it just lists it as a possible reason for the code. I've gotten the same code on my 03 GT and I've cleared it with my scanner, and I won't be bothering with it until it comes on again, and even then I won't spend any money on it until I have to get another emissions inspection next year.
You're right the code doesn't say 'your cat is bad'. It says the O2 sensors are good(from the computers point of view as they passed the monitors) and the readings are nearly the same before and after the cat. It's possible, though unlikely that one O2 went half bad and is reading the same as the other. An exhaust leak is also possible but it would have to be before the cat and very obvious.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

I do not believe there is an exhaust leak...the vibe sounds quiet as always..

i did take a look on http://www.hottexhaust.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and for the bolt in oem for my vibe is $529.52 with a $90.02 savings if i check the save now box and then a $109.88 25% off coupon the chat guy gave me.. for a grand total for $329.62 free shipping..no tax...

just something to keep in mind
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

i just got both my o2 sensors in the mail.. also my infrared thermometer in the mail today...so at the moment the vibe is warming up to temp so i can test the catalytic converter to see if theres pressure building up... i did notice that the o2 sensors are located under the car and not just one like the base models... i think the second one the post cat comes out at the center counsel ?
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

well the temps are in...... pre cat is 520f and after cat is 320f ..... so from what i'm told... my cat is clogged... still use-able till its fully clogged ... but i'm definitely in the looks for a new cat
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

You need to drive a few miles to make sure the cat is thoroughly warmed up and "lit" before checking temps.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

I was driving and then got home and opened the packages and then let the vibe run on ramps for 15 min and then put a block of wood on the gas petal to about 2700rpms.. for a couple min and then i was just watching the temps increase...

maybe if someone reading this could do a test on a good cat and give me your numbers?