What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Doug14

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by Doug14 »

thebarber wrote:via con dios, vibe
Sad times, Glad everyone is alright. Goodbye to one of my favourite vibes around.

I installed a Progress rear sway bar the other day, love the way it feels. I took off the "Progress" sticker tho.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:ya, we had the whole family in the car

the matrix was hit by a semi truck...woman is in critical condition in a nearby city
Once again, glad everyone in the Vibe was okay.

Sucks about the driver of the Matrix :(.

Both our Vibes turned over 49,000 miles last week! This past weekend I installed the wiring harness I had ordered on eBay for the fog light HIDs. I got all the wiring hooked up, hidden, zip tied, etc. Re-connected the battery and the d@mn bulbs still flash :x! I think it is the cr@ppy DDM bulbs, so today I ordered a pair of 3000k #9145 bulbs from the same company I got the wiring harness from (hid-led-outlet-store on eBay). Really hoping these bulbs will be better quality and won't flash :|. Today I also ordered a 10 pack of Toyota oil filters from TRD Sparks. $55.37 shipped to my door (so approximately $5.54 per filter), not bad at all. I have a 4 day weekend this weekend so I have a ton of little projects planned for the Vibes. I'm going to do some painting with satin black Krylon Fusion (grilles, mirrors, other miscellaneous trim pieces that are starting to fade a bit). I am also going to do full interior details on both of them and possibly wash, clay bar and wax both of them (weather permitting). I'm really looking forward to doing some "work" on both the Vibes this weekend. I've neglected them all winter :(.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

picked up the new family hauler today

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looks good barber! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it...

Wagons FTW :cool:!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Today was Vibe love day for Frosty.

I used a headlight restoration kit (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and the old, yellowed cloudy and pitted lenses look like brand new. There was a chance of rain today, so it had to stay in the garage for 6 hours for the clear coat to cure. Since it had to be there anyway, and the oil was over 5k and down ½ quart, and I had a jug of Mobil-1 0w-30 and a NAPA Platinum filter on the shelf....

Also happened to have 4 brand new NGK plugs handy that I bought last month when Advance had them on sale. So new plugs, check and clean the PCV valve, check the air filter and clean the MAF. Not a bad afternoon for Frosty.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

Spent half a day yesterday at a dealer for the TAKATA AIR BAG recall, and inspection. Turned out that I didn't need the recall done, they had to remove the passenger bag and scan the barcode for it to see if it needed to be done or not.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Mark wrote:Today was Vibe love day for Frosty.

I used a headlight restoration kit (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=43244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and the old, yellowed cloudy and pitted lenses look like brand new. There was a chance of rain today, so it had to stay in the garage for 6 hours for the clear coat to cure. Since it had to be there anyway, and the oil was over 5k and down ½ quart, and I had a jug of Mobil-1 0w-30 and a NAPA Platinum filter on the shelf....

Also happened to have 4 brand new NGK plugs handy that I bought last month when Advance had them on sale. So new plugs, check and clean the PCV valve, check the air filter and clean the MAF. Not a bad afternoon for Frosty.
Finally someone else on this board has used this kit. I thought I was the only one LOL. Glad you had great results with it, just as I did :D Best headlight resto kit on the market. I want to do them over again, they are getting cloudy, however it did last over a year in the HOTTTT florida sun :shock:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Mark

Post by Mark »

The only issue I had with it was the surface activator spray bottle didn't work, I had to just sort of pour it on and spread it. If you buy this kit do yourself a favor and make sure to read all of the instructions before you start, and watch the youtube video.

Every time I see the car today I'm just amazed at how clear the headlights look. Amazing.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I received the Helm 2009 Vibe service manual as a birthday present last weekend. This past week I have been going back and forth with Helm because, for whatever reason, the first book in the three book set is for a 2009 Pontiac G8 even though it says Vibe all over the outside of the book. I sent the original set back to them and they sent me a new set with the same issue. I am currently waiting to hear back from them on whether it was just a fluke with a few sets or if it was the whole batch. Of course the book that is wrong is the one I would be using the most :roll:.

On the plus side, I ordered some bulbs on eBay last weekend. Two pairs of Sylvania SilverStar Ultras for the high beams on both Vibes (I preferred the light of the zXes, but didn't care for the blue reflection they produced in the headlight housings since all the other front facing bulbs are clear or almost clear). We don't really use the high beams anymore since we have HIDs in the low beams, but they're there if we do need them. I also ordered four pairs of Stealth Auto chrome amber bulbs for the front and rear marker lights on both Vibes. We had these a few years ago and I ended up selling them to a GV member and switching back to the OEM amber bulbs. I've decided to go back to them because the HID bulbs in the low beams and fog lights are clear, so the chrome bulbs will look alot nicer. They are due to arrive Monday. The SilverStars arrived this past week and have already been installed.

I have not yet been able to wash the Vibes and it's killing me :cry:. My dad forgot to shut the water that runs to the outside faucet off last fall, so the pipe ended up freezing and bursting at some point over the winter. We are currently waiting on a plumber friend to come over when he has a chance and fix it. I would take the Vibes to the local carwash, but the weather hasn't been cooperating either. It's been raining every couple days. I am hoping to have the faucet issue taken care of by Memorial Day weekend so I can do an all out detail (wash, clay bar, wash again and 3-step wax) on both Vibes because they really need it. I also need to do all out interior details as well. Oh, and I also need to touch up the paint on the brake calipers and re-paint a bunch of exterior trim pieces i.e. grilles, mirrors, cowl panels, etc. with satin black Krylon Fusion because they're starting to fade a bit :|.

On the bright side, I am heading out to the garage in a bit to wipe down both engine compartments and get them detailed at least.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Well, the Stealth Auto chrome amber bulbs ended up arriving yesterday although I didn't notice the tiny little box they came in until this morning, so I installed them right away. They look great! No more orange reflections in the headlights and taillights. I also installed the #9145 3000k HID bulbs from hid-led-outlet-store on eBay. They don't flicker! I am so happy that they work properly and I will never buy anything from DDM ever again. I removed the now unneccessary wiring harness and put all the splash shields, etc. back together. I am heading out for a cruise in the Vibe in a little bit to check out the new lighting :D!
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Tomorrow is my Vibe's unofficially-official birthday (built in May 2003, and an early May date found under the rear sear cover), so I'll be celebrating with a new tank of gas, and another fifty-mile daily commute. College is annoying that way. And the weather hasn't been nice enough, so celebrations may take until the following weekend. However, there's lots I can do to celebrate. I've got a big box at my feet, and another one in the shed. It would be a long day, but what a day it would be!

At the very least, I want to get my new headunit in. Purchased a Pioneer DEH-8600BH deck Friday. Advantages over my current one: Pandora radio access, Iphone control, Siri eyes free setup. The last one will be a major help, as I NEVER punch out messages as I drive, and rarely use Siri as I drive, but it still scares me how much I miss even when I Siri a message. So that will be a help. I may make a little stand, too, so I can still use the navigation if I need to. Ooh! And I can listen to Radiolab podcasts without going through the AUX cable! Another big plus! :mrgreen:
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

kaflex wrote:Spent half a day yesterday at a dealer for the TAKATA AIR BAG recall, and inspection. Turned out that I didn't need the recall done, they had to remove the passenger bag and scan the barcode for it to see if it needed to be done or not.
as someone who recently got a passenger airbag in the face, you want it working...
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I replaced the timing chain tensioner o-ring and covered the surrounding surface that mates to the block with some Ultra Copper RTV so I could Never Ever Do This Again. Very easy, only took 30 minutes total on a hot engine with me trying not to burn myself while feeling around for the two nuts that secure it.

In the wise words of dnm, a monkey could do it. I don't know why I never heard of it before exploring MO, because it's very easy and the most awesome oil leak fix ever.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yesterday I placed an order with Grafx Werks for two metallic silver "VVT-i 16V" engine cover overlays so I can install them after I paint the engine covers with satin black Krylon Fusion. I also ordered a pair of metallic silver GV decals because ours are starting to look kind of beat up. They are by far the best and longest lasting vinyl decals I've ever had on the exterior of any vehicle though. They have lasted for 5 years. I fully expect to get another 5+ years out of the new ones!

Last night I got the 3000k HID bulbs from hid-led-outlet-store on eBay installed in my mom's Vibe. I attempted to adjust the fog lights because one of them is kind of wonky when lit, but nothing seemed to happen, so I'll have to get my head up in there and see where exactly the adjustment is at. I also removed the K&N decal from the intake on my mom's Vibe. It's been all beat up since installation and it was bugging me enough that I finally removed the tube and removed it. Looks much better without it (I've never been a fan of decals :|).

This morning I woke up about 5:30 and took my mom's Vibe to the car wash and gave it a much-needed handwash. We're still waiting on a plumber friend to come over and get our outside faucet working again, so to the carwash I went. I had to go early to avoid the crowds since you're technically not supposed to do any bucket washing there :roll:. While there I also used the high pressure wand on the floor and cargo mats. They were pretty gross after a long winter of salt, sand, dirt, etc. I didn't even have to scrub them, just using the high pressure wand got all the crud off. They're now black again instead of light grey. I came home and got the Vibe all dried off. It's nice to see it all nice and shiny again :cool:! I wiped down the engine bay and put some Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel on the tires. I didn't go to crazy because it's supposed to rain in a couple days, but it desperately needed a bath, so I at least wanted to give a good handwash. I was planning on washing mine too, but unfortunately we're going out of town tomorrow for Mother's Day and we'll be taking my Vibe and of course... it's supposed to rain, so I decided not to bother. I also figured since it's Mother's Day I would just concentrate on getting my mom's Vibe all cleaned up. Later on today I am going to detail the interior.

I am really hoping our plumber friend can get the outside faucet fixed before Memorial Day weekend because both Vibes desperately need to be clay barred and waxed which will take an entire weekend.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Put lowering springs and new Struts/Bearings on the Vibe and was checking the Torque on the top nuts. Got to the very last one and the bolt broke at 25Ft/LBS (30 FT/LBS is the Spec). Now what!! Either Press out one of the old bolts and install on the new Strut?? Or have RockAuto Send me a new one??

05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I had a broken stud on my vibe from January till its death...zero issues. If you think that newer cars like the Yaris aren't even attached anymore theres just a sandwich plate you will have nothing to worry about on your vibe
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea I attempted to press out the old one, had it coming out but my vise broke. Snapped the rear jaw off. The ride is much quieter, no more clucking, but stiffer with the springs. Until it gets repaired no hard turns.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

whatd you get for springs in the end, rob?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I've only ever torqued my upper strut nuts to 12 lbs.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

got the summer setup mounted today....ohhhhh the fender gap!

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

That wheel gap will need to be fixed! How do you like the Jetta TDI?

I sanded down and painted a rust spot behind my door seal. It really wasn't that bad, but it was a significant area. So just a little reminder: check your door seals.

The other day I also removed my side skirt, bumper cover, headlight, and fender only to discover the Ultra Racing fender bars for the 9th gen Corolla won't fit the Vibe.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

TDI is good....like the tq, bit miss power to redline

Mileage on first tank was 6.1L/100km (38.5usmpg) and that had plenty of WOT on it
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

One of my projector shrouds fell off, so I opened both headlights and reglued everything. My "clamps" consisted of two paperback books (600 pages each), painter's tape, and an aux cord that was really crappy.

Yesterday I bought a soldering iron to replace the one that ceased working. I soldered 5 connections before the heating element went bad the same day. Checked it today and there is no continuity between the two plug prongs. I guess I'll be returning it :(
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Oil change and tire rotation. While I had it jacked up I checked the rear wheel sensor to track down the VSC/ABS intermittent issue. Found the cause of the issue on the first one I disconnected (right side): viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37060&p=496108#p496108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image  Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Reluctantly, I ended my love affair with Valvoline Nextgen as it has all been clearanced out. Aside from a few tree huggers like myself and BITOG members stockpiling this stuff when it was free after rebate, I suppose interest in a recycled oil was limited. Bummer, the Vibe really ran great on that stuff.

So I pick up a 5 qt jug of QSGB at Meijer which will be around $10 after rebate.

I also tried a NAPA Gold filter this time instead of the Purolator. I grabbed the 2ZZ version (#7145,) will see how that works out. Seems like a really well made filter.

I briefly considered an ATF pan dump but that's a topic for another post... :? So she only got half the spa day treatments that I had intended. Maybe I'll wash the bird poop off of later too. :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

Hey everyone after a long hiatus from the board I'm back...

had my exhaust manifold replaced this morning.

$747 after taxes :shock: ....ouch there goes part of my tax refund

Was charged for 2 hours labor at the dealership, the manifold was priced at $500 and total price included a $50 discount coupon The same exact manifold could've probably be bought for $300 online am I right? Well at least I just found an Ebay listing priced close to that....StEaLeRship http://stores.revolutionparts.com/gmpar ... m/88969034
On another bad note hit a huge pothole coming home from work the other night damaged one of the O.Z. Paledino's again so I'm running my stock steelies again for the time being with new rubbers. :cry:

For those wondering I'm at 128k now , cars getting a beating contining to be used heavy with fire calls. Put a lot of highway miles on last 2 years with a 45 minute commute for work. Now the commutes only 20 minutes to work however I've been dating a lovely girl who lives in NJ lol....so yes lots of miles indeed.

-WaveResponder
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Welcome back, waveresponder! 8-)

Image Image
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

KITT222 wrote:I've only ever torqued my upper strut nuts to 12 lbs.
The book calls for 28.8 FT/LBS. I'm sure 12 would be fine. However I should be able to put 50 Ft/LBS with out breaking the stud. The painful thing is taking it back out, press out the broke one, and putting the new on in.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

thebarber wrote:got the summer setup mounted today....ohhhhh the fender gap!
It's still better than the stock Vibe/Matrix even with the lowering springs on the Vibe the drop isn't that impressive.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Salsa Guy wrote:
thebarber wrote:got the summer setup mounted today....ohhhhh the fender gap!
It's still better than the stock Vibe/Matrix even with the lowering springs on the Vibe the drop isn't that impressive.
true.

btw, your vibe looked good this weekend at the HCMO meet
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Not bad for an old 12 y/o car that has signs of use.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I changed the cabin air filter.
From the looks of it the filter I pulled out was as installed at the assembly line in 2005.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Last Friday on my way home from work, out of nowhere the Check Engine, Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control warning lights all came on. The Vibe was running fine, so I decided I was going to clean and grease (dielectric grease) the wheel speed sensors. I had been wanting to touch up the paint on the calipers anyway, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. The front sensors were a piece of cake to disconnect, clean and grease. The rear ones were a little more involved, but not too bad, especially once I did the first one. The second one went alot smoother, although I did get frustrated with not being able to get the one side of the grey plastic case that covers the sensor to snap back together, so I wrapped a zip tie around it :P. The rear ones were totally covered in caked on dirt, dust, etc.

I am going to touch up the paint on the calipers on my mom's Vibe this weekend and clean and grease her wheel speed sensors.

Our plumber friend is supposed to come by tomorrow. Assuming he does, both Vibes will be getting hand washed this weekend. I hand washed my mom's at the car wash a couple weeks ago, but I can't remember the last time mine has been washed :(.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I fixed the radio display. It took me about 1 1/2 hours. :D :D Without the how to the thread on GenVibe I would not have even tried.

The car is coming along: tires: done, radio: done, pet barrier: done.
Last edited by vibrologist on Sun May 25, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My mom's Vibe turned over 50,000 miles today!

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Reached the 140K mile mark and hit lift several times. Installed new front speakers (Using old speakers as a mount), got the tire rotated/balanced and had an alignment done.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My Vibe turned over 50,000 miles this morning!

I woke up early(ish) this morning and handwashed my mom's Vibe in the driveway (yes, the plumber finally came this past Friday and got the outside faucet fixed!). I pulled it in the garage and dried it. I removed the old GenVibe decal and put a new one on. The old one didn't look too bad considering it had been on there for 5 years, but it did come off in pieces and was pretty brittle, so I'm definitely glad I ordered new ones. They should be good for at least another 5 years. I also removed the plastic retainers that were holding the rear license plate on. I sanded them down and sprayed them with a few coats of satin black Krylon Fusion. While I had the license plate off, I removed the license plate light housing, cleaned the plug and bulb housing really well with electronics cleaner and put some dielectric grease on the plug, bulb housing, bulb base and around the gasket on the bulb housing. I also added some more strips of felt to the inside of the steering wheel cover because it was starting to loosen up a bit and was moving around on the steering wheel slightly. I just finished up doing the 50,000 mile oil change on my mom's Vibe. Did all the usual cleaning of the air and cabin filters, topping off windshield washer fluid, checking brake fluid, transmission fluid and coolant, airing tires up to 35 PSI, etc. Everything looks great as usual! After 5+ years of ownership and 50,000+ miles, both our Vibes still look and feel brand new! I am still in awe of how gorgeous they are when they're clean and I can't help staring at them :cool:! We love our Vibes so much :D!

Later today the spa day for my mom's Vibe will conclude with a quick interior detail, touching up of the paint on the front and rear calipers, cleaning and greasing (dielectric grease) the front and rear wheel speed sensors and greasing all the connections, etc. for the fog light HIDs and adjusting the fog lights themselves.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Detailed the Vibe inside and out, looks really good. Or about as good as it can on the outside with faded cladding and deteriorating paint.

And it got an unplanned set of wiper blades! A wiper arm came crashing into the windshield when I lifted them to clean the glass and broke the plastic connector on the blade. :lol:

Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

ColonelPanic wrote:faded cladding
Unless you're allergic, time to whip out the peanut oil!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Probably so! Might as well try the natural route. :) All those chemicals I've tried on it haven't done anything for it but make it look worse.

Image Image
Medina14

Post by Medina14 »

I did the transmission fluid and filter and oil change and filter last week was spark plugs and pcv valve and headlight restoration did come out great have to redo next week will probably be the serpentine belt and maybe brake pads and rotors
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Took the car in for a car wash ( too hot out ) & used turtle wax ice for the first time. Great stuff ! Its a synthethic was as well. I have been wanting to try some spray wax to use during the summer when its too hot out to use traditional wax. Im impressed 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ColonelPanic wrote:faded cladding
lannvouivre wrote:Unless you're allergic, time to whip out the peanut oil!
ColonelPanic wrote:Probably so! Might as well try the natural route. :) All those chemicals I've tried on it haven't done anything for it but make it look worse.
If you were really motivated, you could always paint it with some Krylon Fusion...

Last night I attempted to adjust the fog lights on my mom's Vibe. No matter which way I turned the adjustment knob, the beams did not seem to move one bit :|. Oh well, I'm not too concerned with it. It's annoying more than anything else. This morning I re-installed the bolts and retainers for the splash shields under the front end of my mom's Vibe, than I cleaned and greased the rear wheel speed sensors and touched up the paint on the rear calipers. I also did the 50,000 mile oil change on my Vibe. Everything looked and went great. Hopefully this coming weekend I will be able to wash, clay bar and wax at least one of the Vibes because they really need it :oops:.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Installed a short shifter and replace lower console door from a Matrix. Had to widen out the latch hole slightly. Now it's actually useful.
03GTMatthew

Post by 03GTMatthew »

30 Minute Care Wash :D Very clean for living in the country

In the morning I'm changing breaks.

4 New drilled and slotted rotors ($125) :D their black :D
20 new lug nuts ($17.00) :D
8 New blue break pads.($25.00) Pretty excited to get this done.
rsz_1image[1].jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 31564 times
breaks
breaks
rsz_3image.jpg (110.64 KiB) Viewed 31564 times
Last weekend I did a coolant drain.... that got messy... (advice open up the fill cap so you have air flow)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

03GTMatthew wrote:4 New drilled and slotted rotors ($125) :D their black :D
The rotors look great, but unfortunately that coating on there won't last very long.

I finally washed my Vibe last night! Man, was it nasty, but after a couple hours and a lot of elbow grease, it looked practically brand new! I dried it off, wiped down the door jambs, hatch jamb and engine compartment. I removed the 5+ year old beat up GenVibe decal and installed a brand new one in its place. I also cleaned and greased the bulb, housing and connections for the license plate light. Tomorrow I am going to grease the connections for the fog light HIDs. I am also going to do a full interior detail on my Vibe. The dash is super dusty because there was concrete work being done at my work this past week and I stupidly left the windows cracked because it was warm :(.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

vibenvy wrote:Last night I attempted to adjust the fog lights on my mom's Vibe. No matter which way I turned the adjustment knob, the beams did not seem to move one bit :|. Oh well, I'm not too concerned with it. It's annoying more than anything else.
I had a similar issue when I redid my headlights. Passenger's side was askew at an odd angle. I tried to tighten the wingnut at the rear of the 'jector, no dice. Tried adjusting the height, no dice. Pulled it in front of my parent's house and it turns out the whole reflector assembly had detached from the adjuster.

My fix: Got a screw-in hook, threaded it into some hole on the rear of the reflector (some bolt-hole that was no longer needed with the projectors), and then ziptied it to some closed bracket, I think the one that secures the outer edge to the fender. Worked like a charm and luckily the metal hook hasn't broken the plastic. I now need to fab a cover for the opening in the back of the headlight, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if the hook breaks free, my other solution is to take one of my plastic panel poppers and shove it up under the reflector. PROFESSIONAL GRADE.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Tuesday I had a rock chip in the windshield repaired.
Thursday I bought a set of MSW rims, 15" with General Altimax Arctic winter tires. Supposedly the set has 1 winter on them. It seems reasonable. I combined the trip to the seller with a visit to the National Motorcycle Museum In Anamosa, IA. I also tried out a piece of foam that I cut to serve as a lumbar support. I like it, now I have to put it in.
Friday, I pulled the interior of the back end and rear seats to install "SprayDead" sound deadener and and sound insulation. Today I finished the assembly. I can hear the sub now. Next come the doors.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Big, tedious day.

Last weekend I installed coilovers, rear disc brakes, and stainless steel brake lines. The brakes are great, but the coils needed adjusting.

Removed passenger-side front wheel, dialed out the pre-load, added camber bolts (purchased in-person at Monkeywrench Racing!), and got PS camber set to roughly -1.1 degrees (factory is -1, allegedly). Great success!

Removed driver-side wheel, dialed out pre-load (with a mallet to turn the collar because I got into some grime today at the MN C&C show), added camber bolts. Ehh... Camber is... Still off. Let car off jack. Oh... By dialing out pre-load I lowered the nose close to an inch. Looks good, but because the camber is off it pulls to one side, and rubs on bumps. Go back home, jack car back up (using trunk jack to lift car high enough to get floor jack in there), dial in some pre-load for the PS, and raise the height. Repeat on driver's side, and spend another hour fiddling with the knuckle bolts until camber is dialed to -1.6ish degrees. Still pulls, but not nearly as bad. And on-center feel is strong once again, in addition to pre-load getting set perfect for what I need! Now to let the pros get the front end aligned properly.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Today I stuck a piece of foam into the driver seat back rest. I took the seat out of the car (4 bolts and 1 wiring harness) I folded the seat back froward, disconnected a J-hook so I could pull up the cloth a few inches. Then I squeezed my foam piece between the springs and the factory foam back and unfolded it.
I set the seat up and checked if the support is at the proper height. It was. I put it all back together and this was done in about half an hour. You don't see it but you feel it.

I also sound proofed the driver side door. That's enough for today. I have to mow the lawn too.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe