Alpine working on turbo for TRD.

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
d_m_kolb

Alpine working on turbo for TRD.

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here is a e-mail I recieved from Alpine Developments when asking about a turbo for the Matrix. quote:Thank you for your inquiry regarding Toyota applications. We are co-developing a turbo w/intercooler kit for the MR-2 Spyder with Toyota Racing Developments at the moment (same 1.8L engine as the Corolla/Celica/Matrix?). At this point in time, there is still a proprietary agreement between Alpine Developments and TRD that we can not sell any of our supercharger applications that we make for TRD here in the states. We are in discussions with them about this subject, and may be able to offer the current TRD superchargers kits (and turbo kits) we make for them sometime after the first of the year, but won't know until then. We do have several other Toyota turbo applications (including one for the 4AGE engine) that are not sold to TRD, that we do plan on bringing over here to the states to test fit on left-hand-drive vehicles and offer here in the states, but that also won't happen until around the first of the year. The more inquiries I get for Toyota applications (hint-hint!), the better the chances of speeding up the discussions with TRD, and possibly being able to offer sooner the TRD applications we make for them ourselves! If you should have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me again. Again, thank you for you interest in our products, and hope to hear back from you (and other Toyota enthusiasts) soon! Stephen M. Belanger Sales & Marketing S.A. Alpine Developments, Inc. 7581 Acacia Avenue Garden Grove, Ca. 92841 sbelanger@alpine-developments.us http://www.alpine-developments.co.zaSo my advice is to e-mail them with (removed) loads of e-mails if you want a TRD turbo or SC because the more e-mails they get the better chance something will become available as a dealer add on.
d_m_kolb

Re: Alpine working on turbo for TRD. (Admin II)

Post by d_m_kolb »

I got another e-mail from Alpine. Looks like there could very well be a dealer turbo on the way.quote:Derek: HOLY CRAP!!! You Toyota enthusiasts don't waste any time!!! I have received over 25 inquiries just in the last two days from you guys about doing a forced induction kit for the 1ZZE-FE / 2ZZ-GE Toyota engine platforms. First off, let me thank you for your inquiries! Based on your interest, I'll give you some more details on what I know: 1) We were initially involved in the development of the 1.8L MR-2 Spyder turbo kit with TRD, but after their deciding not to intercool (based on their decision to keep costs down, and against our advice), we have pulled out of the development of this kit and are only supplying them with the turbo for that application. Because of its mid-engine design, none of the plumbing of this kit would allow it to fit any other 1.8L application from Toyota (meaning this kit will ONLY fit the MR-2). TRD expects availability of this kit after the first of the year. 2) TRD is jointly developing a supercharger kit (with Magnuson Products--the only other supplier of Eaton superchargers to TRD) for the Matrix which also should become available sometime after the first of the year. You can imagine with their pricing structures (which many of you have suggested is "over-inflated") what these kits will retail for! 3) We will develop a turbo kit for this engine! Again, based on your shear number of inquiries we've received in a very short amount of time, has convinced us we need to look at developing a forced induction kit of our own for this 1.8L engine. On that note, with our experience working with inline four cylinder engines, have made the decision to make an "Aqua-cooled" turbo kit for this engine!! But...I need some help and input from you! Your individual inquiries have ranged from Celica's, Corollas and Matrix/Vibe. Some of you have also mentioned two different engine designations (1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE). My apologies for not knowing Toyota engine designations that well (yet), but are these the same engines with just a different stroke? Do they share the same heads and intakes? If we made this kit, what year Celica's, Corollas, and Matrix/Vibe would it apply to? If any of you can help us out with this information, it would be greatly appreciated, and could help in getting this project "jump-started" even faster! Realistically, we have a lot of projects on the table at the moment, but hope we can get started on this right after the SEMA show (2nd week in November). Just to give you an idea of how many projects (most of which have been initiated by the O.E.'s), I have listed below the applications we currently have, applications that are being developed (now & future) and when they're scheduled to be available, and applications we already have that we plan to bring over for test fittings, and offer here in the states as well (please note the addition of the Toyota applications--in bold red): Kits Available Now:1.8L/2.0L (I4) Turbo w/Intercooler kit Hyundai `96-`03 Elantra/Tiburon (CARB test pending)1.8L/2.0L (I4) Supercharger kit Hyundai `96-`03 Elantra/Tiburon (CARB test pending)3.2L/3.5L (V6) Supercharger kit Isuzu/Honda `96-`03 All Models/Passport (CARB pending) Kits in Development Now (and planned--all to be CARB tested) (Tentative Release Date)2.7L (V6) Aqua-cooled Supercharger kit Hyundai/Kia `02-`03 Tiburon/Santa Fe/Optima Avail. mid-Nov.3.3L (V6) Supercharger kit Nissan `98-`03 Frontier/Xterra Available mid-Nov.3.5L (V6) Aqua-cooled Supercharger kit Kia `03 Sorento (new SUV) Available Dec./Jan.2.0L (I4) Aqua-cooled Supercharger kit Ford `00-`03 Focus Available Jan./Feb.2.0L (I4) Turbo w/Intercooler kit Ford `00-`03 Focus Available Jan./Feb.2.5L (I4) Turbo w/Intercooler kit Nissan `03 Sentra Spec-V/Altima Available Feb.`033.5L (V6) Aqua-cooled Supercharger kit Nissan/Infiniti `03 Altima/Maxima/350Z/G35/I35 March `03?1.8L (I4) Aqua-cooled Turbo Kit Toyota ?-`03 Celica/Corolla/Matrix Avail. Mar.`03? Current S. African Applications to be tested for U.S. (LHD) Fitment & CARB Certification*1.8L (I4) Supercharger kit BMW All 318i 2.5L (I6) Turbo w/Intercooler kit BMW All 325i/325is/525i1.6L (I4) Aqua-cooled Turbo kit Honda (B-1600 v-tec) Civic/CRX4.0L (I6) Supercharger kit Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler1.8L/2.0L (I4) Turbo kit Nissan Sentra1.8L (I4) Turbo w/intercooler kit Toyota (4AGE) Corolla2.4L (I4) Turbo kit Toyota (Highlander/Camry/Solara/Tacoma)?3.0L (V6) Turbo kit Toyota (Camry/Solara/Sienna)?1.8L/2.0L (I4) Aqua-cooled Turbo kit Volkswagen Golf/Jetta2.8L (I4) Turbo kit Volkswagen VR6 Golf/Jetta/Corrado/Passat2.0L (I4) Turbo w/Intercooler kit Volkswagen Beetle (*We will be bringing these kits in starting in mid-November one-at-a-time to test fit on Left-Hand-Drive U.S. vehicles, and after dynoing and CARB certification, anticipate release dates of one a month starting sometime in Feb. `03. Depending on interested parties, we can prioritize the order in which we bring them in for test fitting) We may be able to offer some TRD applications as well (since we supply about half of their supercharger kits available) and will keep you informed of their availability. We will eventually look into offering upgradeable "stage one", and even "stage two" packages for our kits once basic kits are completed. If you haven't already, I encourage you to visit our parent website ( http://www.alpine-developments.co.za/ ), and find out more about our applications and 22 year history. We also invite you to stop by our booth # 10122-10222 at this years SEMA show, and see our line of products in person (turbo kits and superchargers, intercoolers, Aqua-coolers, casting and manufacturing capabilities), plus a whole new line of high-pressure polyurethane ground-effects. Again, thank you for your interest in our products, and wish to congratulate your effort in getting us to react to your requests. We are excited and look forward to offering our products here in North America. We will keep you on file, and notify each of you when we have any new information to pass on to you. Stay in touch! Stephen M. BelangerSales & MarketingS.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.7581 Acacia AvenueGarden Grove, Ca. 92841sbelanger@alpine-developments.ushttp://www.alpine-developments.co.zaPh (714) 379-8066Fx (714) 379-8166
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Ok one last e-mail I recieved.quote:To all of you who sent me e-mails: Congratulations! Never before have I been inundated with so many request in such a short amount of time! (Over 25 the first day, and by today that list has grown to over 75 e-mails!!!!) I also want to thank each of you for supplying a lot of information and links on these engines! You have given us the information needed to be able to make some decisions already. First, let me apologize for this "form" reply, but if I tried to answer all of your inquiries individually, I'd be sitting at my computer for the next two days straight! I'll also try and address as many of your questions and concerns as I can with this reply too. First off, a couple of you were surprised I wasn't aware of the situation with TRD (that a lot of you pointed out has been going on for a while) or familiar with the Toyota engines. I'll explain...I just started for Alpine Developments in July, and normally I stay out of the TRD stuff (private label--was going on before I came on board, and is handled mostly through our S. African office). Here's a little background on me, hopefully to reinforce what I bring to the table, and why Alpine hired me to run their U.S. operations here. In the late 70's, I was the California factory rep for Blaupunkt (division of Robert Bosch). In the early 80's, had my own company called Pacific Motoring Accessories in San Diego and was an exclusive importer for companies like Zender. Momo, Alpina, ABT, Otteniger, etc., and prototyped a Magnacharger (forerunner of the Eaton supercharger) on VW Rabbits. In the mid 80's to early 90's, was the designer/engineer-sales/marketing guy for Xenon (urethane ground effects manufacturer). Then, for 8 years was the VP at Turbo Magazine/Import Tuner Magazine/Today's Truck & SUV Magazine (Import Tuner was my idea!), then went to Y-Visionary (which already had Drag Racer Magazine) and started Street Trucks and Import Racer! Magazines. Then I retired! I came out of retirement to handle the banner advertising for Speedoptions.com, and waited for over a year for Alpine to get it's funding together, and viola! Here I am in a position to "rock" the forced induction market here in the states!!!! A few of you have also expressed your disappointments of TRD not focusing on the sport compacts, but rather diverting their attention to the trucks and V8 SUV's! Not that I'm trying to defend them, but they are sorting out some problems with some of the truck and SUV applications first, and have put the sport compact applications on hold to they are sorted out. Why? Look at it from their point of view---who has more money to spend on an expensive item like a supercharger--a young kid who just barely could afford a Celica, or the 40+ year old family guy buying a truck or SUV??? Again, I'm not trying to defend their decisions, but just pointing out that there are usually different points of views! But, they are working on, and are developing some of these applications you are talking about (unfortunately, not fast enough for all of you!) OK...so much for the appetizers, let's get to the main course!!!! Right after the SEMA Show, we will start development of a turbo w/Aqua-cooler kit for the 1ZZ-FE engine. This (according to all the information you provided) should fit the `98-`03 Corolla, `00-`03 Celica-GT, and `00-`03 Matrix-XR (Pontiac Vibe-base model). This will not work on the MR-2 Spyder (besides, TRD is doing a turbo kit for the Spyder). We believe we can do this without lowering the 10:1 compression ratio, and still pass CARB testing. realistically, this should be available sometime in February or March. Before you ask, I don't know how much HP and torque it will increase, but suspect we can add at least a 25%+ increase and still keep it safe and reliable. We anticipate by December, we should be able to start development of a Aqua-cooled supercharger kit for the 2ZZ-GE engine (whether in conjunction with TRD or not), which should fit the `00-`03 Celica-GTS, and the Matrix-XRS (Pontiac Vibe-GT). If all goes according to plan, this kit should be ready by March-April of next year or sooner. I know you'll be asking me this too: The price for each should be around $3000!!!!! Now I need your help again! We will also bring over our 4A-GE turbo kit for the Corollas, but can any of you tell me what (if any) other models this fits, and the model years? Also, some of you even asked about the AE92, and 7A-FE engines. Again, what year and model applications do these engines apply to? I won't make any promises, but if the reaction is the same, and it makes economical sense, then there is always a possibility!!! I am already on several "Hyundai" websites, and was overwhelmed by the shear number of Toyota sites all of you sent me links to, but don't think I will have the time to post on each and everyone (besides, there are only two full-time employees here now, plus the owner from S. Africa and one engineer/technician) and would appreciate if you guys could post this letter on your sites for me, to pass this information on to those who've not e-mailed me yet! And one final note for all of you "doubting Thomas's". Alpine Developments has been in business 22 years (how long has HKS, Greddy, Apex, Blitz, Kore, Vortech been around?), making turbo charger kits for, and serving all of Africa, the middle East, Europe, Asia Minor, southern Asia, Australia and New Zealand, both in the aftermarket and O.E. (with Nissan, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Toyota, Hyundai and others). Only within the last six years has Alpine started using the Eaton superchargers (the ONLY O.E. approved supercharger, used by Ford, Pontiac, Buick, Jaguar, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin...). Trust me when I say: WE WILL DEVELOP THESE KITS!!!!!! Again, thank you for your tremendous response, and you should congratulate yourselves! (who says your voice can't be heard?). don't hesitate to contact us if you should have any other questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing back from you all soon! Stephen M. BelangerSales & MarketingS.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.7581 Acacia AvenueGarden Grove, Ca. 92841sbelanger@alpine-developments.ushttp://www.alpine-developments.co.zaPh (714) 379-8066Fx (714) 379-8166
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here is a update from Alpin. They will be working on a turbo for both the 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines.quote:Here's the latest news on our Toyota applications! Based on the "hundreds" of inquiries we've received in just the last week, Alpine Developments has decided to develop two separate different forced induction systems for the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE engine platforms. 1ZZ-FE Engine Right after the SEMA Show (Nov. 5-8), we will start development of a turbo w/Aqua-cooler kit for the 1ZZ-FE engine. This (according to all the information other Toyota enthusiasts provided) should fit the `98-`03 Corolla, `00-`03 Celica-GT, and `00-`03 Matrix-XR (and Pontiac Vibe-base model). This will not work on the MR-2 Spyder (TRD--one of our clients--is already developing a turbo kit for this vehicle--which we may be able to offer ourselves). We believe we can do this without lowering the 10:1 compression ratio, and still pass CARB testing, and give it a safe and reliable increase in HP and torque. Realistically, this should be available sometime in February or March of `03. 2ZZ-GE Engine We anticipate by the end of December, we should be able to start development of a Aqua-cooled supercharger kit for the 2ZZ-GE engine (whether in conjunction with TRD or not), which should fit the `00-`03 Celica-GTS, and the Matrix-XRS (Pontiac Vibe-GT). Even with it's higher compression (11.5:1), because of the Aqua-cooling, we believe we can get CARB certified as well. If all goes according to plan, this kit could be ready by March-April of next year or sooner. 4A-GE Engine We currently offer a turbo w/intercooler kit for the 4A-GE engine platform (`85-`87 RWD/`88-`91 FWD Corollas?) that is sold through our S. African office that we will bring over after SEMA to test fit on a left-hand-drive Ca. smogged vehicle. Once it has been modified (if necessary) to work on U.S vehicles, tuned and dyno'd, anticipate it being available sometime after the first of the year. At that time, we will look into the feasibility of getting CARB certified. 7A-FE Engine At this point in time, we have no plans to develop a forced induction system for this platform (`93-`97 Corollas?), but if the demand is great enough (meaning we get a flood of inquiries like we did on the 1ZZ/2ZZ engines), we could always change our minds. Price? Although it's way too early to set a price on these applications, we don't anticipate any of these kits selling for more than $3100 suggested retail, and that includes everything you would need to install yourself! Warranty? All of our applications as an "aftermarket" item, carry a "1-Year / Unlimited Mileage Warranty" against defects in materials and workmanship. If possible, we will submit to Toyota for warranty approval in writing (meaning that our kits won't "void" the factory warranty), and push for matching the factory warranty if sold and installed at selected "authorized" dealers (like is done with our TRD applications, and similar discussions currently going on with Ford, Isuzu, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and others!). Please be aware this process could take quite sometime to come to realization. Again, thank you for your tremendous response, and you should congratulate yourselves! (who says your voice can't be heard?). I will keep all of your inquiries in a "Toyota" folder, and send you any new "updates" (like this one) to all of you when we have any more information to pass along. In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact us if you should have any other questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing back from you all soon! Stephen M. BelangerSales & MarketingS.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.7581 Acacia AvenueGarden Grove, Ca. 92841sbelanger@alpine-developments.ushttp://www.alpine-developments.co.zaPh (714) 379-8066Fx (714) 379-8166
MiamiVibe

Post by MiamiVibe »

hey they mention talking to Toyota, but we should also worry about Pontiac.
2003 Salsa base Vibe-Injen CAI-Borla Exhaust-Window tinting (darkest legal dont personally know the %)
btbrewer

Re: Alpine working on turbo for TRD. (MiamiVibe)

Post by btbrewer »

What is CARB Testing?
d_m_kolb

Re: Alpine working on turbo for TRD. (btbrewer)

Post by d_m_kolb »

It means it will be legal to use in California. It meets CA. SMOG requirements.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here is the latest update on the Alpine turbosquote:Derek: First off, please accept my apologies for not replying in my normal timely manner. Over the Christmas holiday we have expanded our facilities and are re-organizing while still trying to answer the hundreds of e-mail inquiries we're still receiving daily. I appreciate your offer of information, but over the past few months have received a plethora of "specs", along with info from our TRD friends as well, and have enough to get started. Thank you very much for your inquiry regarding Toyota forced induction applications. Based on the "hundreds" of inquiries we've received in just the last few weeks, Alpine Developments has decided to develop separate forced induction systems for the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE engine platforms. 1ZZ-FE Engine We will be starting development of a turbo w/Aqua-cooler kit for the 1ZZ-FE engine before the end of January. This (according to all the information other Toyota enthusiasts provided) should fit the `98-`03 Corolla, `00-`03 Celica-GT, and `00-`03 Matrix-XR (and Pontiac Vibe-base model). This will not work on the MR-2 Spyder (TRD--one of our clients--is already developing a turbo kit for this vehicle--which we may be able to offer ourselves). We believe we can do this without lowering the 10:1 compression ratio, and still pass CARB testing, and give it a safe and reliable increase in HP and torque. Realistically, this should be available sometime in March or April of `03. 2ZZ-GE Engine We anticipate by the end of February, we should be able to start development of a Aqua-cooled supercharger kit for the 2ZZ-GE engine (whether in conjunction with TRD or not), which should fit the `00-`03 Celica-GTS, and the Matrix-XRS (Pontiac Vibe-GT). Even with it's higher compression (11.5:1), because of the Aqua-cooling, we believe we can get CARB certified as well. If all goes according to plan, this kit could be ready by May or June of next year. This will be a separate system form the one TRD is developing themselves. 4A-GE Engine We currently offer a turbo w/intercooler kit for the 4A-GE engine platform (`85-`87 RWD/`88-`91 FWD Corollas?) that is sold through our S. African office that we will bring over in the next few months to test fit on a left-hand-drive Ca. smogged vehicle. Once it has been modified (if necessary) to work on U.S vehicles, tuned and dyno'd, anticipate it being available sometime after the middle of the year. At that time, we will look into the feasibility of getting CARB certified. 7A-FE Engine At this point in time, we have no plans to develop a forced induction system for this platform (`93-`97 Corollas?), but if the demand is great enough (meaning we get a flood of inquiries like we did on the 1ZZ/2ZZ engines), we could always change our minds. Price? Although it's way too early to set a price on these applications, we don't anticipate any of these kits selling for more than $3100 suggested retail, and that includes everything you would need to install yourself! Shipping & Packaging We are now using Fed-Ex Ground Service as our regular carrier, and have found them to offer not only better care and handling of our products, but in most cases, are less expensive than UPS. All shipments will be insured at their retail value. All of our systems are pre-assembled as much as possible, and shipped complete in one box (typically 28"x 18"x 18" w/hand-grip cutouts), and average in weight between 50-to-90-lbs, with custom Styrofoam packaging to insure our products arrive intact. Warranty All of our non-CARB approved applications carry a "1-Year / Unlimited Mileage" warranty against defects in materials and workmanship (unless otherwise specified). Any omission or addition of parts, deviation or modification to our kit from its original intent, design, and installation instructions, or any additional modifications that may affect the performance and reliability of our kit as intended, will void this warranty. We are still hammering out the fine print at this point in time, but anticipate having a "3-Year / 36,000 Mile Power Train" backed by Dell Financial Services (same people who back GM's warranties) in place before the end of this year. A Dell Financial representative or an "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility" (which we are aggressively setting up across the country now) will be the only ones who can sign off on this. This may include and cover "official" upgrades from Alpine Developments . Details on this will be forwarded to you when this has been finalized. Even more good news...we will be offering an optional "extended warranty" on the basic kit (no modifications at all) that can be purchased at the time of purchase of our kits, or up to 90 days after purchase of our kit, that will match the remaining factory power train warranty as long as the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it. (The price for this will vary depending on the length of the factory warranty being matched, but don't anticipate it being more than an extra $200-to-$300.) The details of this are not all set yet, but as with the other warranty, will have to be "signed off" by a Dell Financial representative, or "Authorized Alpine Developments Installation Facility". We should have all this in place by the first of the year! Unfortunately, any upgrades (even our own "official" upgrades) will not be covered by this extended warranty package. Again, details on this will be forwarded to you when this has been finalized as well. Again, thank you for your tremendous response, and you should congratulate yourselves! (who says your voice can't be heard?). I will keep all of your inquiries in a "Toyota" folder, and send you any new "updates" to all of you when we have any more information to pass along. In the meantime, don't hesitate to contact us if you should have any other questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing back from you all soon! Stephen M. BelangerSales & MarketingS.A. Alpine Developments, Inc.7581 Acacia AvenueGarden Grove, Ca. 92841sbelanger@alpine-developments.ushttp://www.alpine-developments.co.zaPh (714) 379-8066Fx (714) 379-8166