05+ DBW Emanage tuning W/supercharger - My notes

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
4azdmunky

05+ DBW Emanage tuning W/supercharger - My notes

Post by 4azdmunky »

Hi All I have had several people ask this or that about how I had my car setup. So I decided to brain dump what I learned here for search fodder.For DBW, you will need the adapter plate to make it work. The instructions say to move over 2 studs from the old setup, I just used some extra bolts that were the same length and thread pitch and it worked better. I did however have to cut a new gasket to mate everything up right. That’s easy enough with a marker, gasket material and scissors. I also an extra inch off the throttle body side of my Cosmo CAI. I didn’t have to, but did for ease of working with it.Since you already having everything apart, I would also recommend sending your throttle body off to get drilled out to a bigger size. There is a guy on the matrixowners forum that does it (forgot his name). He does good work and is fast.For the junction between the TB and the CAI, I ordered a 45degree elbow from Silicon Intakes (http://www.siliconeintakes.com/) they are located in Fountain just south of Colorado Springs and had it delivered in 2 days. For tuning I started with the Emanage Blue, which I then modded to a Emanange Gold. Tried the quasi-auto tune hack but never really got it to work. I took this setup to MacAuto Sports. They have experience tuning Greddy and were great to work with. I ran on that tune for a while then added power pulleys to the car, went from stock SC pulley to 2.1, and went to bigger injectors. Instead of going back for a re-tune, I decided to upgrade to the Emanage Ultimate so I could autotune. To get autotune to work on the emanage takes a couple of config changes. If I remember right, you have to set the EMU to Celsius, ..and maybe set injectors to duty cycle (or duration) I forgot which. Start with the Celsius setting first and see if that works. Make sure you have WB02 wired into the EMU. Setup your WB02 in the EMU, you can log it to see if and by how much you need to adjust the WB02 setting to make it read right. Mine was off by about 2 (gauge said 14.7, EMU read it as 16.7) and that threw my tune way off.The target AFR map and the map you want autotuning to update, have to be on the same source inputs (like MAF voltage) and have to have the same scale set (RPMS and whatever is on the left of the map).I also was able to trigger autotune updates by starting the logger. Sometimes it takes shutting down the EMU software and re-launching to get changes to activate.For this setup I highly recommend getting a Boomslang harness, they are expensive, but you can take your time and setup the wiring on a table instead of trying to do it under the dash.The pinout between 2004 and 2005+ is different. The air, cam and crank sensors are in different locations. All in all it was easy to find the right pins and set it up right. To cut costs, find a used one on ebay, and rewire the sensor wires. The physical interface between the stock ECU and stock wiring is the same from 04 and 05+.While setting it up, I also wired up the supercharger 5th injector to the EMU, and wired in the Snow water/meth injector pump. When it was all over, I could also control the snow pump just like the Snow controller box did before it went tits up.The LTFT are not too hard to deal with. The magic number is 3.2 volts on the MAF voltage. After 3.2 Volts the car flips into open loop, and you can set your fuel to whatever you want. Below that try to keep your LTFT as close to zero as possible (no more than 6+/-), and try to keep your STFT to less than 10 +/- . You will need a OBDII scanner that will give you this metric.I found that running 11.5 WOT was still too rich, at Denver the car ran best at 12.5-12.0.EMU can handle up to 150% over stock injector size. That means that it maxes out at a little over 550CC. DandyMax has an excellent Emanage Ultiamte writeup (google for it), highly recommend getting a copy of that for reference. The pinouts are awesome.