Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Absolute_Martini

Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth?

Post by Absolute_Martini »

Good morning and a happy belated new year to you all. Ok, we all know that getting more air into the cylinders will boost power, (SRI, CAI, etc.) but I hear lots of talk about it boosting your mileage as well. The story goes that since your engine is getting more air, it would need less fuel to create an equal (or greater) combustion/explosion, hence more power, less gas, which makes perfect sense. However, after thinking about it for some time, I figure that it would do the opposite to your economy. Don't quote me on this as I'm by no means an expert on the subject, here goes.Since your ECM is trying to maintain an optimum air/fuel mixture of 14.7:1, it'll react to the sensor reading extra airflow by adding extra fuel, thus keeping the ratio intact, which equals to more power, and more gas. So, what do you think? I certainly hope I'm wrong because as much as I like power and speed, fuel economy is still very important to me. Let me know what you think guys, take care.
vibenvy

Re: Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth? (Absolute_Martini)

Post by vibenvy »

We have seen a steady 1-2 mpg increase with our K&N Typhoon CAIs on our 2009 Vibe GTs.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Re: Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth? (Absolute_Martini)

Post by KITT222 »

The CAI on my 04 Vibe has increased mileage by probably 2-4 mpg, but that's in the summer. In the winter the air is colder, science happens, and that science happening decreases your mileage in the cold. Important to know though, the CAI in the 03-08 Vibes is a real CAI, with the filter down by the fog lamp. The CAI in the 09-10 Vibes is like the SRI on the 03-08 Vibes: the filter is still in the engine compartment, so it gets warmer air.
vibenvy

Re: Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth? (KITT222)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Important to know though, the CAI in the 03-08 Vibes is a real CAI, with the filter down by the fog lamp. The CAI in the 09-10 Vibes is like the SRI on the 03-08 Vibes: the filter is still in the engine compartment, so it gets warmer air.The intake for the 2009-2010 2.4L is considered a CAI by K&N because there is a tube that runs up from behind the lower driver's side of the front bumper cover and pushes cooler air directly into the heat shield and thus into the air filter. The air filter is surrounded by a heat shield that keeps the hot air of the engine off the air filter. So, it looks like an SRI, but is really considered a CAI.Also, I thought of another thing... alot of people tend to see decreases in their gas mileage because once they install an intake, they tend to step on the gas more to hear the sound of the intake and feel the boost in acceleration. Our steady increase of 1-2 mpg has been because we don't step on the gas. We accelerate slowly and smoothly. The key is trying to keep the RPMs under 2500 when accelerating. This will help alot with your mileage whether you have an intake or not .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

I installed a TB spacer and CAI and I swear my mileage has increased. Not many people see it because they get on it more just to hear the sound. Your logic does make sense but it all depends on driving habits.
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Hmmmm. Im may have to reconsider a CAI. Im running a drop in K&N right now.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

A larger intake allows the car to breather easier. Also a larger exhaust will help. If you do these mods and drive it hard the MPGs will go down. If you drive it normally your MPGs should go up.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
BlueCrush

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa Guy »A larger intake allows the car to breather easier. Also a larger exhaust will help. If you do these mods and drive it hard the MPGs will go down. If you drive it normally your MPGs should go up.No wonder my MPG's haven't gone down since installing the supercharger....I guess I'm doing it wrong...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
DiveNut

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by DiveNut »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »No wonder my MPG's haven't gone down since installing the supercharger....I guess I'm doing it wrong... Yes, you clearly are doing something wrong...I averaged 21 MPG on thw first 2 tanks after the SC install LOL! Back up to 29-31 mpg now that the novelty has worn off....
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
DressedInBlack

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by DressedInBlack »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »No wonder my MPG's haven't gone down since installing the supercharger....I guess I'm doing it wrong... no. you, sir, are doing it correctly!!
http://
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I get about 26MPG normal driving. On the Highway I'll get 34MPG
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
mac99d

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by mac99d »

It will help MPG but the sound of a CAI at full throttle is so nice.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

goodvibesGT

Re: Aftermarket air intakes lead to MPG gain, real or myth?

Post by goodvibesGT »

I'd say unless you plan on racing her, then leave her stock and she'll last longer. Many people won't pay for aftermarket add ons. If you have aftermarket systems get ready to turn off a lot of buyers in the future. They assume an abused vehicle with an immature driver. Dealers don't like them either. If you plan on spending 1500+ dollars and tons of man hours on mods and won't race it on track then just polish her up and put a nicer sound system in and go cruising for the ladies and save your communion money for a house or college :D. You can do that for 500.

Take it from a guy who used to mod and run imports in the late 90"s. If you really want to mod a car and want the experience get an older import for a couple of hundred and go frankenstein on that one. Save the newer car.