05 AWD Auto - is Turbo worth it?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
AustinG

05 AWD Auto - is Turbo worth it?

Post by AustinG »

Hello, I am new to the forums, and I'm very glad I've found such a forum that supports this car! I really didn't think that there were many people out there that were interested enough in Vibes to have such a big support forum for it...anyway (Of course I'm also new to tuning, etc.)I'm wondering if it's even worth putting in a Turbo in an '05 AWD auto? I'm debating just waiting 2 years, until I'm out of college, and selling the auto (because I'd really like to have a manual tranny anyway), then searching for a Manual 1st gen to buy up, and then install any performance parts I'd like. I guess there is the option of a tranny-switch out, but I hear that the turnout is sketchy, expensive, and will likely result in problems.Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
lovemyraffe

Re: 05 AWD Auto - is Turbo worth it? (AustinG)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to GenVibe!It is possible to swap the tranny out but it is going to be expensive. I believe people have done an auto to manual tranny swap on FWD but I don't know if anyone has done it on an AWD.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

you tell me?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_kd1x7x ... BNWvzgWant to buy it? stock engine, stock trans (trans cooler was added).
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Keithvibe is the only Turbo AWD Vibe/Matrix that we know of (that is stupid enough to do it...JK buddy)There are only 3 Super Charged AWD Vibe/Matrix that we know of. We are only somewhat stupid. You can read about Keith's fun on this project. If I had access to the people who worked on his car my AWD Trix would be Turbo instead of SC. However I only spent 8 hours installing the SC and cost me about $2000. I'm sure Keith spent much more. In regards to a tranny swap I don't think it can be done with out A) Losing the AWD system or B) cost $$$$ for a custom tranny.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
AustinG

Re: 05 AWD Auto - is Turbo worth it? (keithvibe)

Post by AustinG »

@keith: That's awesome! That's something I'd like my car to become eventually, I may end up just saving this car, and installing everything on it (after watching those videos). I would love to buy it but I can't right now; money is really tight, and I've got all of this college stuff to sort out. I don't plan on buying this stuff real soon at all, because of said issues, but how much should I be expecting to pay for a Turbo and everything else I need? I found this T25, it says its New, and it costs $326.98. This is the eBay item number: 170627485855@Salsa, that doesn't sound promising at all (in regards to Turbo), and include the fact that I don't know a ton of people in that field of expertise either. But, I do have confidence that someday It'll be accomplished.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

First, salsa man, I didn't spend much more than you. The ebay number for the godspeed turbo is the same model turbo I have, just not with the godspeed name. You can find this turbo MUCH cheaper. I paid 150bucks for mine.Now that your thinking let me give you some heads up on this turbo. You will need a custom top mount manifold. You won't be able to use the 1zz bottom mount, because of the transfer case for the awd. Which is why you can see in my video that turbo sits topside.That godspeed turbo will require a custom exhaust exit. It's not the standard t25.Luckly for you I worked with a guy who is now selling them on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...t_794
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Salsa Guy

Re: 05 AWD Auto - is Turbo worth it? (keithvibe)

Post by Salsa Guy »

So what's your time worth??? LOL just giving you stuff Keith. But honestly I'd rather have a Turbo setup and think that Keith and BackYardTurbo did an awesome job on it.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

One area that most AWD Vibe/Trix owners have issues with is the Rear Differential and Transfer Case seals. Many of these users had to replace aleast one seal. If it leaks out all the fluid they will break and cost $$$$ to repair/replace