06 Vibe AWD, now boosted

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
keithvibe

06 Vibe AWD, now boosted

Post by keithvibe »

Vibe 4.0 That is correct the car is boosted and running, no leaks. Smooth power and quiet.Because there are so many photos and a video here is a link to MO where it was posted. The crew at BYT(backyardturbo.com) worked hard and deserves a lot of the credit for making this happen.http://matrixowners.com/index....24497New link to 9thgen because MO is up to it's old trixs againhttp://www.9thgencorolla.com/f...18503
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
BlueCrush

Re: 06 Vibe AWD, now boosted (keithvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Well it's about freakin' time!!!! LOL!! I thought you would have been turbo'd before I was supercharged. Looks like I beat you, time-wise, but you have the more kick-a** set-up, Keith. I think you'd beat me in a race as well. Hope it performs how you wanted it to and lasts you for a long time without any issues. What kind of power output are you expecting (or hoping) for?PS - Congrats Keith, Nick and the BYT Crew.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Congrats! Liar! LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lovemyraffe

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by lovemyraffe »

It's about damn time!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by keithvibe »

Tough being the first ever. Lots of small issues, but it is 99% road worthy
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
star_deceiver

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by star_deceiver »

I was wondering when you'd get this finished!Question of the day: When will you and Brian have a drag race??? Seems like a good idea to meet up at a local track somewhere equal driving distance between the two of you!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
BlueCrush

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by BlueCrush »

I think Keith(AWD Turbo) and Rob(AWD S/C) should race. They will both be at the HCMO meet.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I think Keith(AWD Turbo) and Rob(AWD S/C) should race. They will both be at the HCMO meet. For the record I'd blow his doors off. LOL Sorry but no racing for me. 1K miles for me to get back home to OK if I tear something up.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr » For the record I'd blow his doors off. LOL HAHAYou would certainly blow something up... lol
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

YES!!!! Congratulation Keith!! I am happy for you to finally have this project deeply in the works.'Can't wait to be (whoops! That's "see") the numbers.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
mac99d

Re: 06 Vibe AWD, now boosted (06pvibe)

Post by mac99d »

Nice man. Good job.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Faultline

Post by Faultline »

"Id like to see 150-160 awhp on a conservative daily setup and then 180s (or more really) just to see it do it. The car is fit with a MBC and I will have the tables setup so he can just dial it up a lil bit and goto the High Setting. Ive already told Keith we HAVE to dyno and track the car at least once to see what it does. Im guessing high 14 at just under 100 " Congrats on getting boosted!The set up looks great.It is always interesting to me to see how different shops pick the routing for all the IC piping. I like how BYT chose to down from the turbo to the the driver side of the motor, and then route just behind the IC to the passenger side before goiing thru the IC. (if i am seeing the pics corrrectly.)That way ther is no heat soak from the motor before the air gets to the throttle body .My piping goes up high after leaving the compressor housing and sort of over the motor, and although it is before the IC, it still is not optimal...looks good though. ( you can clik my sig to see what I mean)To get just under 100 ET and high 14's at the track you would have to boost nearly 1 bar.The key is the 60 ft times and I am curious to see if the awd could do better launching than my fwd does.You need to get 2.0-2.2 60fts.I was alway getting 2.4 at best and a lot of 2.6's.The best I did was 14.5 at 98 mph on a track that was at 3k elevation.I was running 14 psi on race gas with some alcohol injection to keep from detonating( no timing retarded though)I know you are not boosting to go racing, and that is the better attitude for preserving your car.Just enjoy the boost and have fun driving it. 4 psi is even fun, 8psi is a blast.maximum torque is around 4k and pulls hard all the way to 6400.(if your tuning follows the factory profiles)I also ended up putting in some motormount inserts to cut down most of the wheel hop , it makes a big difference . It may not even be an issue for AWD.Conrats again, Welcome to the dark side...
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
keithvibe

Re: 06 Vibe AWD, now boosted (Faultline)

Post by keithvibe »

He does have some video of him doing some runs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipjpLrw- ... j-X3fOhjt8
bull77

Post by bull77 »

sick sick sick --- awesome job Keith!!/sleeper
keithvibe

Re: (bull77)

Post by keithvibe »

Short video showing the engine bay, gauges and how quite it is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-BQBNWvzg
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Short video showing the engine bay, gauges and how quite it is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-BQBNWvzgat engine idle, the motor sounds the same.while boosting you hear the BOV during the shifts, but the tail pipe is actually quieter with a turbo on , than it is with out . You dont even need a muffler on with a turbo..
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
keithvibe

Re: (Faultline)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »at engine idle, the motor sounds the same.while boosting you hear the BOV during the shifts, but the tail pipe is actually quieter with a turbo on , than it is with out . You dont even need a muffler on with a turbo..hmmm interesting... eventually I will upgrade the exhaust to a 2.25 inch... right now we mated it up to the stock exhaust. It will be an easy upgrade we made it all v-band connections.the 3lbs was running on the wastegate. We did install a MBC and the car now runs 7lbs of boost. Though most of the time I only need to hit 5 to get up to speed. LOL
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

The t-25 is a little bit smaller turbo than mine, at what rpm does it start boosting? I hit full boost between 3-4k. I imagine yours spools up faster.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

i'm boosting at 2800-3100. Which can cause some issues while crusing on the highway that I have found. If I start feathering in the boost while say doing 70mph the trans wants to come out of lock up and causes all sorts of bucking issues. I really don't need to boost to overtake a car so I just watch my vac/boost gauge to keep the gauge at or below 0. As long as I do that the trans doesn't act up.I did need to relearn how to use the throttle because of this.. LOL Which is why i'm getting 32-35 mpg on the hyw now were before I was getting 30-32.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I have the same problem with bucking or surging about 2800-3000 going up hills while in cruise. But my boost measurement to the EMU is noisey. My gauge is steady, or it could be related to the tune also.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »i'm boosting at 2800-3100. Which can cause some issues while crusing on the highway that I have found. If I start feathering in the boost while say doing 70mph the trans wants to come out of lock up and causes all sorts of bucking issues. I really don't need to boost to overtake a car so I just watch my vac/boost gauge to keep the gauge at or below 0. As long as I do that the trans doesn't act up.I did need to relearn how to use the throttle because of this.. LOL Which is why i'm getting 32-35 mpg on the hyw now were before I was getting 30-32.When I cruise down the HWY, I get great fuel econmomy too as long as I stay out of boost, which I usually can do. When I am in boost , though, my fuel economy goes out the window. My fuel system is a bit funky, I retard no timing and have stock injectors. I get plenty of fuel by raising fuel pressure referenced to boost, but I have to run rich because I have stock timing. It does make it very torq-ey though.When I am not boosting , everything is stock perameters. Does your boost cut when the tranny changes gear, or do you have to be careful?
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »I have the same problem with bucking or surging about 2800-3000 going up hills while in cruise. But my boost measurement to the EMU is noisey. My gauge is steady, or it could be related to the tune also.do you just down shift, and it goes away?
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

If i lift out of the throttle and get the trans to come out of lock up and boost a few psi there isn't an issue.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »do you just down shift, and it goes away?Once you down shift, you are in full boost (revs go higher). It's like almost anything below 2 PSI should be a "non event"
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »Once you down shift, you are in full boost (revs go higher). It's like almost anything below 2 PSI should be a "non event"I have had bucking or surging issues before, but it has been for different reasons. There is about a half inch hole on the Throttle body that is capped off or plugged, that when it tears, air escapes, and it messes up stuff.if yours is plugged make sure it still is. Sometimes I have simply taken my ground cable off the battery for a couple of minutes, and it resets the computer to clear things up.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »I have had bucking or surging issues before, but it has been for different reasons. There is about a half inch hole on the Throttle body that is capped off or plugged, that when it tears, air escapes, and it messes up stuff.if yours is plugged make sure it still is. Sometimes I have simply taken my ground cable off the battery for a couple of minutes, and it resets the computer to clear things up. All good info and tips... Thanks
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »I have had bucking or surging issues before, but it has been for different reasons. There is about a half inch hole on the Throttle body that is capped off or plugged, that when it tears, air escapes, and it messes up stuff.if yours is plugged make sure it still is. Sometimes I have simply taken my ground cable off the battery for a couple of minutes, and it resets the computer to clear things up. This car doesn't have that 1/2 hole on the throttlebody for the PCV system. My breather port was part of the stock intake, just have a breather filter for the valve cover. Although there was a possiblility of a vac leak on the catch can which was found. It has been removed for now.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Keith we never did get a chance to "line up". With us working on the cars, very busy streets and bad weather it didn't work out. I conceded due to fail to make the start line. LOL
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Mine i'm sure is because of lockup... even motoring along at 40-45 and i ease in to the gas it will buck if I start boosting. If I either take it out of O/D or lift off the gas then give it gas again it stops.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

So then, what's the answer/solution to this problem? A switch to manually override the lock up (to stay in slushbox mode?) An adjustment to the ECU programming? Or....You COULD convert to the 5 or 6 speed MANUAL trans? Just shooting at toy ducks here. I'm sure you're all still trying to figure it out as well. I'm sure there is a solution, y'all just have to figure out what it needs.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
keithvibe

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

At the moment not sure. Deff not putting the money in for a standard. If anything I would have the auto converted to a push button shift by a shop in jersey. This way my wife could still drive the car if needed
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

2nd tank of gas. 99%highway got 33mpg, @ an average speed of 74 mphHope to get 26-28 mpg around town. This past winter I got 20mpg. Last summer I got 24mpg
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »2nd tank of gas. 99%highway got 33mpg, @ an average speed of 74 mphHope to get 26-28 mpg around town. This past winter I got 20mpg. Last summer I got 24mpgthat is fantastic fuel economy To go back to the lunging and surging, you seem to be confident that it is a tranny issue. I posted my stuff so that you might think it is an engine issue.Do you think it is the tranny?
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

I sent off a log to my BYT tunner There are two issues that need to be resolved. Once those are resolved and the tune is adjusted we are hoping it will help.I am certainly keeping track of your suggestions, don't think i'm just brushing them off. It could be an engine issue. If the O/D button is set to off, the lugging/bucking is next to non existant. There seems to be a small amount but it's very difficult to feel it.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Wow really cool! I've just been checking out yours and BlueCrush's threads. Congratulations
keithvibe

Re: 06 Vibe AWD, now boosted (xmasguy)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by xmasguy »link to matrixowners is broken... That is because currently MO is down...fool you live 3 blocks away... drive over LOL I added a link to 9thgen with the photos
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

How much did this cost you, and how long was your Vibe out of commission?
keithvibe

Re: (KITT222)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »How much did this cost you, and how long was your Vibe out of commission? more than I wanted it to, but worth it in the end so far.would have been down for two weeks but it ended up being 1month because of parts needed and my ability to get there to work on it.
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

wow congrats!! love the setup and hope your happy with it!!
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Well was at the dyno today Very disappointedGot some issues to figure out.Would only boost to 4-5psi. There is a boost leak some place.before turbo99whp and 91 torqueAfter at 5psi130whp and 166Torque
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Hey, even with the issues that's still a 30hp/75tq increase!! Not bad at all, imho.Plus, you boost too much and your bottom end will fall out, your (auto) tranny will not like you any more and your mileage will be in the sh*tt*r. For a DD it could be worse.You'll get them figured out, I'm sure.
keithvibe

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

still disappointed was hoping for quite a bit more.Now if the HP number was like the TQ number I would be more than happy.Going to go back to the place i dynoed before and get some tunning time. I hope to ditch the manual boost controller for a larger spring in the waste gate. I already have two more springs to chose from. Ditching that will help as well. I'll be adjusting the blowoff valve and going over all the coupler connections.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Well, look at it this way, having 130 @ the wheels is like having 150 at the flywheel!! And with all the parasitic loss from the auto trans and AWD system, probably more like 165!!Don't worry. I'm sure it'll work itself out.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

You'll get there. Just try to free up some power now with things like aluminum pulleys, maybe some lightweight rims, and of course fix that boost leak. Stay optimistic! I want to turbo some day and your Vibe give me hope!
keithvibe

Re: (KITT222)

Post by keithvibe »

The first mod would be a 2.25 inch exhaust. It is still the stock exhaust. That would help lots. But everyone always comments on how quite it is lol
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Any updates
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
keithvibe

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Any updatesupdates on what?It's running, will need tweaking. Just need the time to do it.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »updates on what?It's running, will need tweaking. Just need the time to do it.Exhaust, more modifications, and etc
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi