SC Belt Problems

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

SC Belt Problems

Post by Petrucci914 »

Hey everyone.....It's been a long time, but I'm still here!I continue to have issues with my belt. It used to not stay lined up correctly but that seems to be all right now. I still get quite a bit of squeaking when I start up. Sometimes it seems like it is stuck or something because the RPM's will waiver at idle and sometimes acceleration seems blunted. I used to have the Gatorback belt but I don't know if there is a better belt. I did get a Smoothflow Pulley but didn't have to change belt size for it.........can I get away with a slightly smaller belt? Ideas?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
BlueCrush

Re: SC Belt Problems (Petrucci914)

Post by BlueCrush »

Hey Adam! How's it going? So is the belt you have on now the gatorback or the one that came with the S/C kit?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Petrucci914

Re: SC Belt Problems (BlueCrush)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Hey man!I think I have a Dayco one on it now. I've always had issues with the belting on this thing and all the shimming. Maybe I should just take it in and tell the mechanic to do whatever he can to make it work. I know it is messing with my performance and mileage.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Check the idler pulley bearing. Make sure it isn't dried out or doesn't have play in it. Should be a $25 items
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Petrucci914

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I'll have to check that.What is the size of the stock SC'er pulley? I have the 2.3" Smoothflow Pulley..........trying to see if I can get away with using a smaller belt.
DiveNut

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by DiveNut »

My idler puller was squealling at start-up. Hit it ( a couple times) with some wd-40 while the car was idling and has been quiet ever since. I think I may have gotten some moisture in there after hitting a large puddle. The squealing started the next day. Stock SC pulley is 2.4"Good luck man.
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
Petrucci914

Re: (DiveNut)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I shot some WD-40 in there.......didn't make a difference. A lot of times it'll squeal when putting it in reverse. Sometimes I can feel it slipping because the RPM's will jump a bit. Generally works better when warmed up.Could I get away with a smaller belt? How much smaller could I go?
mac99d

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by mac99d »

take the one you have off take it to auto zone buy two or three that are a little smaller try them all out keep the one that works take the others back. they wont care as long as you dont mess them up.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petrucci914

Re: (mac99d)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Put a belt on that is .5" shorter. Car runs better now than it EVER did. No laboring or anything. Hitting 8-9PSI.
BlueCrush

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Put a belt on that is .5" shorter. Car runs better now than it EVER did. No laboring or anything. Hitting 8-9PSI.Good deal! What is the brand & size of the belt you bought?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD