06 AWD turbo

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
keithvibe

06 AWD turbo

Post by keithvibe »

Yep going turbo.My base line dyno before any mods being doneSome of the toys custom log headergreddy bovt-25 turbointercooleremange ultimate
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
BlueCrush

Re: 06 AWD turbo (keithvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

NICE!!!! You came so close to 100whp..... Can't wait, Keith!!! This is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (BlueCrush)

Post by keithvibe »

if it wasn't 90 degrees in the shop i'm sure I would have hit 100
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Please tell me you can make the Indy Meet with this beast. Lie to me, if you have to.
Steelies to the rescue.
keithvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (jkm311)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Please tell me you can make the Indy Meet with this beast. Lie to me, if you have to.sorry won't be there... the car should be mid build at that time. I have a few odds and ends to get yet, once that happens I'm waiting on an open spot in the BYT garage to get dirty LOL
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Freakin A Awesome!!!!!! Sucks you won't make the Indy meet, but can't wait to follow the progress of the turbo upgrade!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

are you beefing up the tranny to handle the power? and also brakes. all that power, you gotta stop.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
keithvibe

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »are you beefing up the tranny to handle the power? and also brakes. all that power, you gotta stop. tranny no, other than my trans cooler. I've already looked in to level 10 as an add on down the road. I'm not going for huge numbers, just a better daily driver. 6-7psiBrakes yes, getting ebc pads and slotted rotors. It's on the list, just haven't made the purchace yet.
lovemyraffe

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Would you build it faster? I can't wait to see it finished!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Would you build it faster? I can't wait to see it finished!only if you donate money to the build... lol I take paypal
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »tranny no, other than my trans cooler. I've already looked in to level 10 as an add on down the road. I'm not going for huge numbers, just a better daily driver. 6-7psiBrakes yes, getting ebc pads and slotted rotors. It's on the list, just haven't made the purchace yet.dunno about the toyota 1.8L guys, but the subie guys have nothing very good to say about their products. I used IPT Transmission in New Jersey for my valve body mod/upgrade and they were great. We've had a lot of success with them vs Level 10. But maybe they are more familiar with the 1.8L AWD yota trans than the 2.5L Subie trans.and definitely upgrade those brakes! When I did my turbo swap on the Legacy few yrs back, added a whole lot of power but not the stopping power. It was much much needed! LOL. Good that you already have that in the works though.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Turbo timer? Forged internals?Lightened fly... Ooops!! LOL
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
jkm311

Re: 06 AWD turbo (06pvibe)

Post by jkm311 »

And to think... you won VOTY WITHOUT any of this...
Steelies to the rescue.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Turbo timer? Forged internals?Lightened fly... Ooops!! LOLturbo timer... waist of money... mine is oil and water cooler.nope stock internerals, not going for huge numbers, just better daily driver.LOL @lightened fly..>Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »dunno about the toyota 1.8L guys, but the subie guys have nothing very good to say about their products. I used IPT Transmission in New Jersey for my valve body mod/upgrade and they were great. We've had a lot of success with them vs Level 10. But maybe they are more familiar with the 1.8L AWD yota trans than the 2.5L Subie trans.and definitely upgrade those brakes! When I did my turbo swap on the Legacy few yrs back, added a whole lot of power but not the stopping power. It was much much needed! LOL. Good that you already have that in the works though. Thanks for the heads up, and being they are in jersey helps a lot.I'll look in to themand to save everyone from asking about guages... no gages, running my guages threw my lap top. Going total stealthbut if i were, it would be thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

are you going to run your laptop every time you drive? probably not. you HAVE TO HAVE GAUGES! you can still be stealth, mount them in your glove compartment or one of the cubbies the vibe has everywhere in the car. Seriously, no gauges or only on your laptop is a very bad idea. please, you're putting a lot of time, money, effort into this build to skimp out on such important parts! I would recommend: boost, EGT, wideband, oil pressure at the bare minimum.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
bull77

Post by bull77 »

good god keith!!! u da man!!! Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »This picture kinda reminds me of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit!!! Not sure why, but it does, and that's freakin awesome!!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

wow. that FMIC looks tiny. LOL. guess I'm used to seeing huge monstrousities. Anyways, to add to list of MUST HAVES for any turbo swaps/upgrades, etc, I'm sure you've got these handled, but for anyone else:injectors - stock aren't gonna cut it anymore!fuel pump - again, stock just not gonna do it (not well anyways)air intake - larger MAF is a must have! Engine Management - looks like you got the GreddyTune - looks like you have that taken care of as wellBrakes - better pads, larger rotors (if possible)Transmission - upgraded valvebody and solenoids (at the very least)Engine/Motor - guess you can go til it blows. LOL. But I'd still recommend better internals like rods, pistons, bearings, stronger case or crank, head studs, etc. oh and CAMS! If you can do valve work and cams?? oh yeah! and remember, you will need to run better fuel through your system, so MINIMUM 92+ octane
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »wow. that FMIC looks tiny. LOL. guess I'm used to seeing huge monstrousities. Anyways, to add to list of MUST HAVES for any turbo swaps/upgrades, etc, I'm sure you've got these handled, but for anyone else:injectors - stock aren't gonna cut it anymore!xrs injectors are sitting in the garagefuel pump - again, stock just not gonna do it (not well anyways)I'll keep an eye on that though I won't think it will be an issueair intake - larger MAF is a must have! why a larger maf? Both guys I know running turbo and a few in canada running SCers on trixs are running stock mafEngine Management - looks like you got the GreddyyepTune - looks like you have that taken care of as well tune won't be an issueBrakes - better pads, larger rotors (if possible)ebc pads and rotors are on the list, just short on 300bucks for them right nowTransmission - upgraded valvebody and solenoids (at the very least)sent off an email to IPT,waiting to hear backEngine/Motor - guess you can go til it blows. LOL. But I'd still recommend better internals like rods, pistons, bearings, stronger case or crank, head studs, etc. oh and CAMS! If you can do valve work and cams?? oh yea!thats the plan, run it till it goesand remember, you will need to run better fuel through your system, so MINIMUM 92+ octane already made the switchas for the guages, yes i plan on having my lap top with me. I use it daily so it won't be an issue. But when it's time to upgrade the laptop I prob invest in guages.Thanks, anything else?
06pvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (jkm311)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »And to think... you won VOTY WITHOUT any of this... Only because I voted for him and his Vibe. It was a close race and I was the deciding vote... me and 200 other members. FYI: Currently, this seems to be the most active thread on the site, Keith!! Why do you think that is?A lotta' pressure, my friend.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
06pvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (Wolfman213)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »This picture kinda reminds me of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit!!! Not sure why, but it does, and that's freakin awesome!!!I can see that!! It's all that mechanical stuff, the way it fits together. The "face," I believe.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Only because I voted for him and his Vibe. It was a close race and I was the deciding vote... me and 200 other members. FYI: Currently, this seems to be the most active thread on the site, Keith!! Why do you think that is?A lotta' pressure, my friend.i'm not worried.... it's the most active only because I will be the first to turbo the AWD
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

You are truly a GenVibe God.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »i'm not worried.... it's the most active only because I will be the first to turbo the AWDWrong. You are not the first my friend. Faultline was the first I believe on his. There was also another guy, Green... something. It was a good 2+ yrs ago? And he blew his motor.As for the MAF, it could be different for you, but You will want a larger air intake (CAI/SR) than the stock airbox. the flow of air is important for the turbo. Sorry, you don't need the actual MAF sensor to be larger, just the intake housing around it. Sorry... should have clarified.Also, I would call IPT. Talk to Ty or John. Several of us Subie guys have used them with great success. You will need to send them your VB to modify, but sounds like you're car will be down for awhile anyways. Takes a few days to get it done and back, unless you can drive there and have them do it same day.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Re: 06 AWD turbo (AKLGT)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »Wrong. You are not the first my friend. Faultline was the first I believe on his. There was also another guy, Green... something. It was a good 2+ yrs ago? And he blew his motor.Faultline has a Turbo FWD Base. Greenfire had a S/C AWD.The are a couple other S/C AWDer's on MO.Keith will be the first AWD Turbo.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kamikaze

Re: 06 AWD turbo (BlueCrush)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Faultline has a Turbo FWD Base. Greenfire had a S/C AWD.The are a couple other S/C AWDer's on MO.Keith will be the first AWD Turbo.You beat me to it.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
keithvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (AKLGT)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »Wrong. You are not the first my friend. Faultline was the first I believe on his. There was also another guy, Green... something. It was a good 2+ yrs ago? And he blew his motor.this has been addressed by my fellow vibe brothers, thanks guysAs for the MAF, it could be different for you, but You will want a larger air intake (CAI/SR) than the stock airbox. the flow of air is important for the turbo. Sorry, you don't need the actual MAF sensor to be larger, just the intake housing around it. Sorry... should have clarified. It's going to connect up to the aem cold air intake that is on the car nowAlso, I would call IPT. Talk to Ty or John. Several of us Subie guys have used them with great success. You will need to send them your VB to modify, but sounds like you're car will be down for awhile anyways. Takes a few days to get it done and back, unless you can drive there and have them do it same day.this depends on my boss and how long he lets me borrow the company car, lol. I sent an email off to them but I have yet to hear back. Hope that is not their typical way of doing businessMy replys are bold
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

it's never a good idea to email guys who are usually elbow deep in oil and transmission fluid. CALL them.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »it's never a good idea to email guys who are usually elbow deep in oil and transmission fluid. CALL them. HA HA I heard back from them last night.
millster

Post by millster »

I thought that turbo looked familiar, but didn't look at the text above the picture until I saw the fact you mentioned water and oil cooling. Just got my t25 to replace the Mitsu td04 that had been hacked onto my engine. Of course, my install won't be quite as arduous. Good luck! Looks like a fun project!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

good luck! looks like a fun project. can't wait to see the end result.im really wanting to start some engine mods other than my cai but just waiting til i move back to tx. im not going to say anything this time and just surprise everyone. keep up the good work. i really do want to see everything all hooked up and in.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »as for the guages, yes i plan on having my lap top with me. I use it daily so it won't be an issue. But when it's time to upgrade the laptop I prob invest in guages.Thanks, anything else?Congratulations on deciding to turbo your Vibe. I dont know if you are the 1st AWD, but I am only FWD.Every thing looks good to me. I have been turboing my Vibe since 2003.I blew my motor once because of some oil leaks,abd the oil level was low. I blew my tranny last year finally and replaced it with a 6 speed.I have run up to 15 psi on my stock motor with race gas, and I know what this car can do. BECAUSE YOU ARE RUNNING ONLY 6 TO 7 PSI (OR ANYTHING LESS THAN 10)Your inter cooler size is perfect.You do not need a larger MAFYou do not need bigger brakes.I dont know how much power the AWD drive train can handle, but I would break it before upgrading it. 6 to 7 psi sounds fun, but safe too. AT this level, you will go years on the the stock internals, and be fine. If you have any questions, shoot me an E-mail, I will talk on the phone if you like too. ps, I only have a boost guage, I only use a a wideband 02 sensor for tuninig once a year with a lap top that the shop has. I dont even have one.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
keithvibe

Re: (Faultline)

Post by keithvibe »

Thanks brother.It's deff going to be an interesting build. Thanks for the info, VERY MUCH!I dropped the exhaust this past weekend to see about mocking up the turbo location. Ran in to a problem, my snap ring pliers were not large enough to alow me to clock the inlet side of the turbo. I had to order a larger set. Once I get the new pliers I'll drop the exhaust again and get things moving forward again.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

whoa cool AWD turbo!! looking forward to seeing your progress on this!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

per our pm's, I'm excited to see progress. remember to take pics!
keithvibe

Re: (northvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

The header is now out for welding. The custom exhaust flange for the turbo will be in next week.Once those two are in, the build will move quick.Sometimes I have asked myself why? It's a huge headache, but I'm reminded each time I get in the car why... God is this car slow.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe » I'm reminded each time I get in the car why... God is this car slow. Yeah. Ain't it the truth. 'Wish there were some other way, less extreme way to liven them up a bit?Kudos to you, Keith for this build, Man. I'm not sure I would have the time, the patience or cash to do it. And I KNOW I don't have the garage... which would make it much easier too.'Can't wait for numbers, and especially your personal impressions, which are better than numbers in many cases. After all, you're the one that will have to live with it in the end. (How is Pa going to feel about a header on a car that did not come with a header from the factory? Pa was always pretty strict in the Inspection department... at least going by the rules.Quote, originally posted by Pa DOT (paraphrasing) »Anything that is not factory installed on a road motor vehicle will be disallowed via State Inspection.... I used to HATE having my highly modified Volvo sedan inspected. (Yeah. Go ahead and laugh. It would blow your doors off.) I'd have to undo a lot just to get it to pass. De-tuning was NOT an option. Headlights (Euro H4's,) fog lights, passing lights were NOT an option!!!! And my inspection came due in JANUARY!!!
keithvibe

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe » How is Pa going to feel about a header on a car that did not come with a header from the factory? Pa was always pretty strict in the Inspection department... at least going by the rules.not to get in legal debate, most shops never look at a header, heck I don't think one shop has ever even poped the hood on any of my rides.MY girl HPL pointed out this to me... who made the 4th comment on this video? HAHA thanksI figured out who made the commentthanks A Psycho Martyrhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated
milocas

Post by milocas »

whoa man, when you get done with this, i gotta check this out myself in person. Keep it up bro!!
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
keithvibe

Re: (milocas)

Post by keithvibe »

hopefully soon... it was scheduled for this past weekend, but something happened i guess.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Any updates?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
keithvibe

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Any updates?As expected some glitchesBut the parts to solve the glitches will be here, Monday.Hopefully, next weekend there will be some forward progress.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

you may have already stated this somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it....What motor do you have with the turbo?I'm having my mechanic look for a 2zz-ge or a wrecked Celica Gt-S for me to do a motor swap.This a good idea? Or should I just get a Vibe gt motor. I know it's a 2zz as well, but what's tha difference exactly?
06pvibe

Re: 06 AWD turbo (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by 06pvibe »

I don't think Keiths hasn't gotten the turbo in yet, and I am pretty sure he's staying w/the original 1ZZ AWD engine (rated +/-116hp.)Funny though, but I was wondering the same thing. It came to me on my way to work yesterday morning.I know they are both considered 1.8L engines, but there is a very slight displacement difference too... only 1 or 2 cc's, IIRC?Given the the high revving nature of the 2ZZ, it might have a bigger bore/shorter stroke arrangement, or over-square, than does the 1ZZ? Add a cyl head that flows better at high RPMs, bigger valves and a different camshaft, perhaps a slightly bigger throttle body too and there you have it. Of course this would also have the effect of less low end torque compared to the 1ZZ, which could explain the higher final drive ratio in the 6-sp tranny.This is all speculation on my part based on what I know about the nature of the beast, but it was what was going through my mind yesterday.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

i'm still going with the 1zz.I haven't done nothing with the build. I have everything ready to go in, however, I am still looking for a good beater car to use while the vibe is down. I made an offer on one car and the seller didn't accept it, so I had to walk.
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Updates?
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
keithvibe

Re: (DrunkenMonster)

Post by keithvibe »

beater car obtained. Build starts around March.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »beater car obtained. Build starts around March.SWEET!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »beater car obtained. Build starts around March.You give us 1zz AWD guys hope. Your my hero Keith!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
patmanbbe

Post by patmanbbe »

Sorry I don't want to come off as being negative but I was curious about some of the details of this project. It seems like a lot of work and money for a small gain in horsepower.... How much is this build gonna cost you? What are your power goals?Why not swap in a 3SGTE, you can buy one with an AWD tranny. I know a shop that can do it. His name is Dr. Tweak. Here is a llink to his site:http://www.phoenixtuning.com/He gave me quote a while back for a 3SGTE swap into a 1970 Toyota Corona. would have been under 5k for a complete swap and tune. 250 plus horsepower from a stock 3SGTE, not even hard to get it upto 400 hp.