For those that have self installed the S/C.

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Celtic_Curse

For those that have self installed the S/C.

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Hey everyone,I have been reading over the install instructions for the S/C and notice that there is this tool required to remove the OE fuel rail from the line. I can't find the tool anywhere and was wondering if anyone had a pic of the tool or could tell me how or where they got theirs? If you didn't use the tool how did you get the fuel rail off?Thanks.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
damronjr

Re: For those that have self installed the S/C. (Celtic_Curse)

Post by damronjr »

I see them at Autozone all the time, it is a pack with like 4-5 different ones, but you only need the small light blue one. Not sure on the pricce, just give them a call and find out, I don't think it was much though, maybe $10 max I would guess. When we did mine Andre had one already, but I just saw them there at Autozone the other day.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
kevera

Post by kevera »

To be honest,that stupid tool is useless.I ended up using a couple of jewelers screwdrivers.There are 4 little prongs holding it on,so you have to release all 4 at one time.Maybe I had a crappy fuel disconnect tool,who knows,but I cursed at it a few times and it didn't help.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks I'll go pick one up. Damron, how much of your CAI did you cut off to get the peices to fit to the throttle body?
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

bump
kevera

Post by kevera »

The disconnect tool looks like this,it's the blue one you need.http://cgi.ebay.ca/A-C-134-134...wItemI was able to put my cosmo on without cutting it,it was tight but went on OK.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks Keverra was there any CEL with the CAI installed versus the OE airbox?
damronjr

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Thanks I'll go pick one up. Damron, how much of your CAI did you cut off to get the peices to fit to the throttle body?Sorry, just saw this, none! lol It is an Injen CAI, not sure if it matters, but didn't cut it at all.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Cool Thanks, I have an Injen one too. Did you use the tube supplied with the S/C or something custom to attach it to the throttle body?
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Cool Thanks, I have an Injen one too. Did you use the tube supplied with the S/C or something custom to attach it to the throttle body?I THINK the 1 I am using came with the S/C, but I am not sure. I know it didn't come with the CAI or stock, so I am assuming it came with the S/C. It is a black flexible rubber hose.
kevera

Re: (damronjr)

Post by kevera »

I'm not sure which hose you're talking about.Are you talking about the coupler that attaches the CAI to the TB.If so,then use the one supplied with the CAI.Or are you talking about the vacuum hose?
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

The coupler that attaches the CAI to the TB. Thanks guys I'll post pics once I install it.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Ok a couple of questions more that I need help with:1. on the instructions it says to remove the VVTI oil control wire out from the wire bundle. What color is the wire? Any pics? is there a reason? Can't make it out on the computer.2. It says to use Permatex spray gasket on the intake manifold gasket? Did you guys do that and what did you use...I can't find it anywhere?Thanks guys.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Ok a couple of questions more that I need help with:1. on the instructions it says to remove the VVTI oil control wire out from the wire bundle. What color is the wire? Any pics? is there a reason? Can't make it out on the computer.2. It says to use Permatex spray gasket on the intake manifold gasket? Did you guys do that and what did you use...I can't find it anywhere?Thanks guys.Wow, I wish I remembered the wire color. See, when I did mine, I had no clue what was going on, Andre did all the work as he had the experience, but I don't see him around anymore. Same with the gasket, I'm pretty sure we used a copper gasket spray if I recall correctly, but don't quote me. I don't want to be responsible for any damage! lol zbest bet is to post of MO, a lot more experience over there if no one here can help you. Sorry I can't be ore help.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Hey there I appreciate the help. Kevera gave me some advice on a pm. I got the Gasket spray the only thing is that vvti control wire. I don't know if its just a wire or a wire wrapped in plastic. If some one had the wiring colors in a diagram fro the alternator group of wires that would be cool. I'll hop on MO and see what they have.Thanks to everyone for your help. It arrived today so Monday is the big day.
kevera

Post by kevera »

I can take a picture tomorrow for ya.Actually,you'll see the wires,when you unwrap the wiring harness at the "Y",it will be wrapped up separately from the big harness,plus it will be real tight with the VVTI wires in that big bundle.Don't worry you will see it when you have everything out.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Went through the box and found the adel clamp missing so gonna have to pick that up. plus I can't figure out what shims go on the idle pulley? Last thing how did you hook up the plastic tube from your boost gauge to the S/C? Do you know where I can get the part?Thanks guys!!
kevera

Post by kevera »

As for the boost gauge,all the fittings should come with it,at least my Autometer did.Just don't buy the same gauge Petrucci did,his didn't come with the right parts.Did you buy your s/c new?Mine came in a sealed baggy,they were the thinnest ones I think.
Petrucci914

Re: (kevera)

Post by Petrucci914 »

The Idler Pulley shims are basically 2 washers. I'd start with them both on and then once you have it all hooked up with the belt on watch and see if the belt touches a side or not. If it does then take out a shim or 2 until the belt doesn't touch.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Hey guys thanks for the help! Ya the kit is new, I install today so hopefully all goes well.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Hey guys thanks for the help! Ya the kit is new, I install today so hopefully all goes well.Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Well its in. Two days later, two seized bolts, one huge antifreeze leak and one modified CAI later. The instructions sucked! My knucles and hands are swiss cheesed, some of the bolts are impossible to get ateven with the hoist, it said to tighten to so many lbs feet but Id like to know how to fit my torque wrench in there. Needless to say everything is wrench and armstrong tight wich is about right. The rear engine mount was a ***** to work on and gave up after putting half of it in....gonna take it to the shop to get that put in. The rest is all good now love the wheee sound it makes. I noticed on my Air Fuel gauge that when you let off the gas it gioes rich is that normal?Otherwise looks good!
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Well its in. Two days later, two seized bolts, one huge antifreeze leak and one modified CAI later. The instructions sucked! My knucles and hands are swiss cheesed, some of the bolts are impossible to get ateven with the hoist, it said to tighten to so many lbs feet but Id like to know how to fit my torque wrench in there. Needless to say everything is wrench and armstrong tight wich is about right. The rear engine mount was a ***** to work on and gave up after putting half of it in....gonna take it to the shop to get that put in. The rest is all good now love the wheee sound it makes. I noticed on my Air Fuel gauge that when you let off the gas it gioes rich is that normal?Otherwise looks good!:: Cue Kevera to say it was easy as pie ::Ya, it is a PITA. I hated how they said to torque the SC bolts at so many pounds......you can barely get a regular wrench in there to tighten it hand-tight - it's obvious a bunch of engineers got to the instructions.The Air/Fuel thing is most likely normal. They have it set up to run rich as a pig in order to prevent problems. Congrats on the completion!
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »:: Cue Kevera to say it was easy as pie ::!I've turned a wrench before,so I didn't have a hard time with mine.It took 2 of us 4 1/2 hours to get'r'done.I had air tools also,and I have an auto,so it's a little easier.Just cuz you are slow,doesn't mean all of us are. Oh,and my tranny still works right Congrats on the install Ivan.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I really appreciated the help with the advice everyone. I wish I had air tools lol. But I am pretty good at turning my hands into origami to get at those bolts. No check engine lights so all must be good (cross your fingers) since I've gone through 6 or seven starts and drives ince I got it in. Now all thats left is the boost gauge hookup, I mounted it beside the other two so my dash is complete.Who else has a five speed manual with boost?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Who else has a five speed manual with boost?I think you are the 1st.That's why yours was a little harder to install,us auto guys didn't have those extra few steps to contend with.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Congrats on the install and welcome to boost! lol
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Sure noticing the gas mileage went down lol.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Well got the boost gauge to work and now she is done. The boost gauge didn't work at first (glowshift gauge), and I thought it was because I had spliced the autometer line into the rubber tubing that came with the gauge. So I didn't get a reading on the boost level, so I receonnect everything using Teflon tape and it still didn't work. So I pulled the gauge out of the housing and there it was the tube was pinched. I unpinched it and boom the gauge works. so should I post pics or leave it be because the engine bay looks the same as everyone elses that has one?Thanks again for all the help.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Well cars dead!!! Drove it to a store and then wouldn't start. It turns over and there is back pressure but she just won't catch...any suggestions?
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Hmmm....Either an ECU wiring issue....Or a fuel issue. I know a lot of times you have to hold the key over so enough fuel gets pushed in before starting.Check spark plugs maybe?
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Well cars dead!!! Drove it to a store and then wouldn't start. It turns over and there is back pressure but she just won't catch...any suggestions?Ouch, did it die or just wouldn't start after you came back to it? Mine died while I was pulling up in front of my house and wouldn't start again when the ECU harness adapter had a couple runs fry off the board inside. Hope it's an easy fix!
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Well your both right turns out the heat in the car caused my ECU attachment to come off, flooding the car. Had the car towed to the house where this morning I re-sodered th ECU cable good and thorough. Had my neighbour give me a boost and she started like nothing happened. Sheesh I was totally freaking out hinking I screwed up something bad. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Well your both right turns out the heat in the car caused my ECU attachment to come off, flooding the car. Had the car towed to the house where this morning I re-sodered th ECU cable good and thorough. Had my neighbour give me a boost and she started like nothing happened. Sheesh I was totally freaking out hinking I screwed up something bad. Thanks for the suggestions guys!!Glad to hear!