Rarely hit Redline

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

Rarely hit Redline

Post by Petrucci914 »

Do you guys hit Redline frequently and easily? It's really hard for me. I've probably only hit it like 2 times since I owned the car. I can get up to about 5 grand easily but that's it. If this is abnormal, anything I should look at? New MAF?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

is your engine fully warmed up?
Petrucci914

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Yes. All warmed up. Although, my car seems faster when it's colder (lower SC temp, I suppose).
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

I can get mine to redline easy. But im not f/i. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

i'm with aj, i hit redline with no problems. i'm bone stock
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

do you push the pedal all the way down?
Petrucci914

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

When I'm trying to hit Redline.....yes.
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

i rarely do, only because by the time i get there im already at more than 80mph
CountryVibe

Re: (ITcar)

Post by CountryVibe »

What does it do, cut off or just keep climbing slowly?
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
Petrucci914

Re: (CountryVibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Usually shifts by 5 grand. My car is almost always under 4 grand.
DiveNut

Re: Rarely hit Redline (Petrucci914)

Post by DiveNut »

Hit it any time I keep my foot in it. Pulls right up to 6500-6700 RPM before it shifts up to the next gear. You should definitely be pulling the same. Maybe you're experiencing a problem with your ECU or Piggy Back?
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
kevera

Re: Rarely hit Redline (DiveNut)

Post by kevera »

I try to stay out of the redline,but I can hit it.Ever since you installed yours,I remember you saying you didn't notice a huge difference with the s/c.So,I'd say somethings not right.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
northvibe

Re: Rarely hit Redline (kevera)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I try to stay out of the redline,but I can hit it.Ever since you installed yours,I remember you saying you didn't notice a huge difference with the s/c.So,I'd say somethings not right.hmmm yes... Can you try someone elses ecu? I guess that would be the first thing to check if it was the ecu. go visit lancer
Petrucci914

Re: Rarely hit Redline (northvibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I stepped on it this morning and hit 6k.........no redline, though. I'd like to replace the TRD ecu with the Unichip. Maybe that'll come quicker than I expected. Been trying to pay off things in preparation for getting a house or something, so we'll see.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I hit redline all the time once the car is warm.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
kevera

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by kevera »

How much boost are you hitting?
Petrucci914

Re: (kevera)

Post by Petrucci914 »

On WOT......about 7.5-8. Average around 5.
kevera

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by kevera »

Now,the TRD piggy doesn't control the rev limit.I would say it's a mechanical problem or the main ECU that's not letting you achieve the 6800 rpm redline on the 1zz.I wish I could be of more help,but I haven't heard of this kind of problem before.That's why I asked what boost you were running to see if you had a leak or not.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Now,the TRD piggy doesn't control the rev limit.I would say it's a mechanical problem or the main ECU that's not letting you achieve the 6500 rpm redline on the 1zz.I wish I could be of more help,but I haven't heard of this kind of problem before.That's why I asked what boost you were running to see if you had a leak or not.I would think I'd have thrown a CEL, though. I mean, I got a CEL just from a crack in a hose.......if there was a significant vacuum leak I'd definetely be throwing CELs like nobody's business.
kevera

Post by kevera »

You'd think so,but you can't hit the redline,so........
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »You'd think so,but you can't hit the redline,so........Welll........suggestions? My main ECU is a replacement from an 04 but I don't think that'd make a difference. Maybe I'll have to pay Lancer a visit at some point.Lancer! Fix it!
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

sounds like transmission issues to me...
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
kevera

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »sounds like transmission issues to me...That's what I thought first 2.But I still don't quite understand what his problem is,because CountryVibe asked the right question,but it wasn't answered.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »That's what I thought first 2.But I still don't quite understand what his problem is,because CountryVibe asked the right question,but it wasn't answered.Yes I did. I said that it shifts before reaching there.....doesn't climb slowly. Probably a bad solenoid or something. Maybe through in some Lubeguard or work on getting a new valve body (it contains the solenoids, correct?)
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Yes I did. I said that it shifts before reaching there.....doesn't climb slowly. Probably a bad solenoid or something. Maybe through in some Lubeguard or work on getting a new valve body (it contains the solenoids, correct?)No solenoids.You answered your question then.When I'm at WOT I'm in 4th gear screaming at the redline.Does yours go through all the gears,when you get to forth it hits 5 grand and that's it.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

stupid automatic trannys...
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Well, there are solenoids, right? You're just saying that they're not in the valve body? I'll have to check at what gear I get into. I turned the corner and stepped on it this morning. 2nd gear went up to 6 grand and then it shifted......was going about 65mph at that point.
Petrucci914

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »stupid automatic trannys... Yes. I hate the damn thing......don't really want to spend $3k for what it needs, though. Ugh.
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

I had the same problem...it has to do with the maf sensor....MAF understands that at x RPM your air intake should be moving so much cfm of air for the gear you are in (ie 500cfm at 4500 rpm in 3rd gear). The f/i introduces more air into the intake charge thus confusing the MAF . But i don't think TRD ecu addresses the change in amount of air bieng moved across the MAF.So when you are in top gear MAF is reading that you are wide open throttle when in actuality you are not. So you get stuck at 3000/4000 rpm in top gear.What your are seeing in the lower gears is essentially the same thing. MAF is telling ecu that you should be in a cetain gear based on the amount of air you are moving...ie it reads that you are in WOT in 3rd gear as your rpms are climbing thus the quick shift before redline. I went with a differnt piggy that allowed me to adress that issue and continue to rev to redline in each gear ( Iwas aso professionally tuned and think so was Kevera).actually that is a good question have you been tuned professionally that can also help solve the problem.just my 2 cents
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
Petrucci914

Re: (BLAQJAQ)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by BLAQJAQ »I had the same problem...it has to do with the maf sensor....MAF understands that at x RPM your air intake should be moving so much cfm of air for the gear you are in (ie 500cfm at 4500 rpm in 3rd gear). The f/i introduces more air into the intake charge thus confusing the MAF . But i don't think TRD ecu addresses the change in amount of air bieng moved across the MAF.So when you are in top gear MAF is reading that you are wide open throttle when in actuality you are not. So you get stuck at 3000/4000 rpm in top gear.What your are seeing in the lower gears is essentially the same thing. MAF is telling ecu that you should be in a cetain gear based on the amount of air you are moving...ie it reads that you are in WOT in 3rd gear as your rpms are climbing thus the quick shift before redline. I went with a differnt piggy that allowed me to adress that issue and continue to rev to redline in each gear ( Iwas aso professionally tuned and think so was Kevera).actually that is a good question have you been tuned professionally that can also help solve the problem.just my 2 centsI see what you're saying, but Kevera and I have pretty similar set ups and he says he can hit Redline easily. I keep thinking transmission.......I dunno. Can I sell the thing and get something new?
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »I see what you're saying, but Kevera and I have pretty similar set ups and he says he can hit Redline easily. I keep thinking transmission.......I dunno. Can I sell the thing and get something new?HMM...i hear ya..but modding adding power is always a pain in the (removed)..
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by BLAQJAQ »HMM...i hear ya..but modding adding power is always a pain in the (removed)..I can do a stall test. Should stall speed be at redline, or what should it be?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Well, there are solenoids, right? You're just saying that they're not in the valve body? I'll have to check at what gear I get into. I turned the corner and stepped on it this morning. 2nd gear went up to 6 grand and then it shifted......was going about 65mph at that point.That's right,they aren't in the valve body.Take it from BlaqJaq,he's had so many obstacles to overcome it's not funny.It could be in your MAF sensor as he said.It's a start.And we don't have the same setup,bro.I am running a different piggy and I'm tuned and my Tranny is done and I'm waiting for my PPE header.Close,maybe not.
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

I was bouncing off the rev limiter the other day... I was wondering if it was ever going to shift... mabye it was because I lost traction... oh well.Sorry Adam, not sure what's wrong.. hopefully you can get it fixed so you can really use the S/C.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »That's right,they aren't in the valve body.Take it from BlaqJaq,he's had so many obstacles to overcome it's not funny.It could be in your MAF sensor as he said.It's a start.And we don't have the same setup,bro.I am running a different piggy and I'm tuned and my Tranny is done.Close,maybe not. I thought you were running the TRD piggyback. What are you running now?Know anywhere to get a cheap MAF? Wasn't Lancer running a Lexus one at some point?
kevera

Post by kevera »

It's not a Unichip,I'm actually running 2 controllers now.I heard you can use a certain Subaru MAF,but not sure which model and year.Ebay is a start,because new is x-pensive.Maybe check rockauto if you want a new one.I'm curious to see what Lancer says about the Lexus,because I didn't know you could use one of them.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

So basically I'm thinking......MAF SensorTPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)Torque Converter/SolenoidNo CELs, though.Is the TPS hard to change?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »So basically I'm thinking......MAF SensorTPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)Torque Converter/SolenoidNo CELs, though.Is the TPS hard to change?The TPS would give you a cel though.I've played with mine and it's really picky.You need to set it with a multi-meter.Did it do this before you did the seafoam?The maf might be a good start.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, it's done this for a while. It's never performed how I expected or wanted it to perform. There would be a few times were it would but it was never consistent enough to make me satisfied.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Ya, it's done this for a while. It's never performed how I expected or wanted it to perform. There would be a few times were it would but it was never consistent enough to make me satisfied.Well that's a drag.It's the best thing I've done so far,I'm happy with it.To bad you couldn't borrow a MAF to try 1st before you buy,just to make sure without spending the cash.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I may just buy a MAF, I dunno. I'm going to check some more hoses because I talked about that high-pitched whistle noise......sounds like air spooling up or something. Never noticed that when I first got it. Maybe another hose to the airbox is split or somethin.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Been idling a little rough lately, and I keep hearing that whistling sound. Thinking maybe a bad IACV, or another vacuum leak somewhere. I cleaned the IACV when I did the SC install.......maybe a gasket is messed up.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Almost sounds like it's running in safe mode, like when you get a cel from your maf sensor. When is the last time you reset your ECU? Did you say you HAVE a replacment ecu in your car, not the stock one?I don't have the Lexus maf sensor, yet. Waiting for the new engine crap to get done and I'll talk to the tunner guy about the 'larger' maf. I found out about the lexus maf from the tunners here in town that built a 300hp celica. That's what they used cause it reads higher flowing air. I think it's time for you to take her into a tranny shop.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Petrucci914

Re: (Lancer)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Almost sounds like it's running in safe mode, like when you get a cel from your maf sensor. I don't have the Lexus maf sensor, yet. Waiting for the new engine crap to get done and I'll talk to the tunner guy about the 'larger' maf. I found out about the lexus maf from the tunners here in town that built a 300hp celica. That's what they used cause it reads higher flowing air. I think it's time for you to take her into a tranny shop.I have a MAF coming to me. I can also get a throttle body from an 03 Vibe with 27k miles on it, with the TPS and IACV on it for lik $80........may think about getting that. I brought it to the tranny shop this past summer and they said everything was within specs. I'd like to do some tranny work on it but I don't want the bill that you had.
kevera

Post by kevera »

I agree with Lancer.It does seem to be in safe type mode.The MAF is a good start.I don't think the throttle-body has anything to do with it though.It could possible be your tranny slipping,but it's hard to diagnose without actually seeing the problem.It wouldn't hurt to pull the battery and recheck all your connectors on your ECU also.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I agree with Lancer.It does seem to be in safe type mode.The MAF is a good start.I don't think the throttle-body has anything to do with it though.It could possible be your tranny slipping,but it's hard to diagnose without actually seeing the problem.Maybe I'll record a video.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I replaced that hose that kept cracking with a nice re-inforced one. The car has seemed to run better ever since. But I should have the MAF very soon and I'll go from there.
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

Not sure how this would work with your set-up but I used an MSD Ignition MAP sensor for compacts. It actualy fools MAF It really helped at that time (using differnt piggy).might be worth a look
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Maybe belt slippage? I should probably get one of those Goodyear Gatorbacks. Anybody have the part# off hand?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Here are the 2 numbers on the box.6pk21604060850