Check Engine Light

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

Check Engine Light

Post by Petrucci914 »

ugh........the day I was dreading. First time I got a CEL since I owned the car. And I'm just starting my vacation and my girlfriend came to visit so not what I wanted.The other day my tank was close to empty. I put some SeaFoam in it and filled it full with premium. I then drove 70 miles to a client site and drove that same distance this evening to come home. Spent some time at home and then ran to the post office and wal-mart at night. When I left Wal-Mart I saw the CEL. Nothing seemed like it was wrong, engine temp and that was fine. Got home, shut off car, turned back on.......still there. Unhooked the battery for 5 minutes, hooked it back up.........no CEL. Took it for a 15 minute drive through the city and on highway......beating on it from time to time. It actually seemed like it was driving better......like the RPMs were going higher more quickly. After I initially started it, it was idling pretty rough but I suppose that's because the ECU had a fresh reset.I maybe should have hooked up my reader to it first to see what it said but I just did the reset. I plan on driving that same distance tomorrow to visit a friend........not sure what to do. I'm a little on edge but maybe it got some bad gas or found a pocket of the SeaFoam and freaked out a bit? Any other SC'er people out there experience something like this?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Even if you unhooked the battery, any OBDII reader should be able to read the history...
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
DiveNut

Re: Check Engine Light (Petrucci914)

Post by DiveNut »

No CEL here yet. (knock on wood). Probably stating the obvious, but did you check your fuel cap to make sure it is tight and/or the seal is still in good shape? Just a thought...
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
Raven

Post by Raven »

I think that sometimes the chemicals in Seafoam, Techron or whatever tend to freak-out O2 sensors and such. I've had a short term CEL on several vehicles while in the process of running a fuel system cleaner. Also some of the crud that gets loosened and burned by these cleaners may cause temporary fluctuations in O2 readings.
kevera

Re: Check Engine Light (Raven)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »I think that sometimes the chemicals in Seafoam, Techron or whatever tend to freak-out O2 sensors and such. I've had a short term CEL on several vehicles while in the process of running a fuel system cleaner. Also some of the crud that gets loosened and burned by these cleaners may cause temporary fluctuations in O2 readings.I'd say this is your problem.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Digger

Re: Check Engine Light (kevera)

Post by Digger »

The last time I used one was in a V8 and it turned on the CEL. Dealer said ( Under warranty) the o2 was fried.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
Petrucci914

Re: Check Engine Light (Digger)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Well, it stayed off for some time. Probably drove about 300 or so miles and it didn't come on.....ran some Techron through it to make sure all was well. On my last fill up I got the CEL again. Ran the code reader on it......PO171.http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171System Too Lean (Bank 1)I guess I can look at cleaning the MAF sensor. I'll check on some of the vacuum lines to make sure there are no disconnections or cracks. The past few months I've noticed a whistling sound when first accelerating.....never really noticed before but maybe it just became more pronounced or something. I attributed it to the supercharger.....
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I believe I got it fixed. Cleaned the MAF sensor but then I noticed that a hose running from the TB to the SC actuator was split where it was connected. It was split like that a few months ago. Any high-strength rubber tubing out there?
Raven

Post by Raven »

Surgical tubing is pretty tough and flexible if they make any big enough for your application.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »I believe I got it fixed. Cleaned the MAF sensor but then I noticed that a hose running from the TB to the SC actuator was split where it was connected. It was split like that a few months ago. Any high-strength rubber tubing out there?What hose are you talking about?There aren't any hoses running from the throttle-body to the s/c.The only hoses are the big one on top of the TB,which runs to the valve cover.And the other 2 are in the IAC valve.Your talking about the little hoses on the switching valve on the s/c,right.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

The one coming off the top of the actuator.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Yes. The one that goes towards the throttle body (nipple is closest to the front-end).
kevera

Post by kevera »

That's funny because I noticed mine starting to split too.I would use a good quality vacuum hose on it.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I think it needs a bigger gauge. It was split on both ends once before. It fits too tight over those large nipples.