TURBO UPGRADE

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

MWR said you just need to upgrade the torq converter on a auto 1zz tranny and it can hold like 400hp or more. A twin FI could be done if you built that 1zz up like crazy and didnt boost too much
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

just quietly listening
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
Celtic_Curse

Re: (BLAQJAQ)

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Quote, originally posted by BLAQJAQ »just quietly listeningAny word if greddy is rolling out something for the 1ZZ? I saw Greddy has something for the 2ZZ.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
AKLGT

Re: (kevera)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I had it in the works for a few months now.I dropped the pan and had a peek inside to look for any wear last weekend.I was talking with MW and they told me to not even bother with the valve body,but I've never liked the 2-3 shift since the s/c install,so I decide to call level 10.I also ordered the MW torque converter,it should be here tomorrow or Friday,wuhoo.I've replaced all my valve bodies in my muscle cars,and it looks about the same amount of work involved.I'll keep you posted.woe! i missed this one! you are going with a Level 10 tranny??? please be careful, on the subie boards, there are a lot of EXTREMELY UNHAPPY LEVEL 10 CUSTOMERS! I mean.... more than unhappy and out a lot of money!!!!I have been extremely happy with IPT (import performance transmissions) and they also do Toyota trannies too. They'd be the only shop I'd trust to send my tranny 5000 miles to NJ! you should check them out.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kevera

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by kevera »

I didn't go with a full rebuild kit,my tranny didn't need it.I just replaced the valve body with level 10.Funny you should mention that,because monkey-wrench told me to stay away from them too.I also bought a MW torque converter,but I do have access to another stock valve body just in case.Everything works fine so far(fingers crossed).
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I didn't go with a full rebuild kit,my tranny didn't need it.I just replaced the valve body with level 10.Funny you should mention that,because monkey-wrench told me to stay away from them too.I also bought a MW torque converter,but I do have access to another stock valve body just in case.Everything works fine so far(fingers crossed).So you have the valve body and TC in now? How is the performance?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by kevera »

Feels solid right now.Launches on dry pavement seem different,it's hard to explain.The shifts are much better though,I don't have that harsh 2-3 shift any more.It's hard to give a full review as it's only a few weeks old.But I'm a little nervous seeing how MW told me to stay away from level10 stuff and the post above from Hope,but I know Lancer has had good success with his,so I took that with a grain of salt.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Lancer had his custom done by AAMCO. He didn't deal with Level10. But I think you should be fine. People that bought full transmissions from them had issues, but with a valve body.......I think you're good.BTW, what's our tranny code?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
kevera

Post by kevera »

I don't have the code off hand,I'm on the road right now with my laptop.What do you need the code for?
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I was just looking at IPT Performance and what they offered......but I don't know our tranny code. No hurry.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

IPT VB is the only thing that has prevented my LGT's tranny from going kaboom over a year ago. I can tell you night and day difference. Since myself and few other's have sent in VB's or had full tranny rebuilds, they have been top notch. No shop is perfect, however, the many many many horror stories we've heard about Level 10 make it pretty safe for me to say, Stay AWAY! They have ripped off a lot of people for thousands of dollars. Do a lot of research before you go with any particular Performance Tranny shop. I went with IPT because they were referred to me by a few of the LGT guys I trust on the forums. They were right about what was wrong with my car at the time and after a good 45 min chat with the Ty, the owner of IPT, I felt comfortable enough to take out the VB from my car, overnight it to NJ, 5000 miles away and have them mod it, send it back 5000 miles to me and have it installed. This took about 4 days, rented a car for a week and over all cost me about $1200 when all was said and done. It was worth it. Added a Hayden Trans cooler for $50 to the mix and the LGT runs pretty damn strong considering last summer it regularly was hot lapped 12 times at the drag strip or autox 3 or 4 events per month, power launching the car at 18 psi/4000 rpms. This in an automatic with a modded VB. We have an electronic TC and so far, no luck with cracking it. here's an in-car vid of the tac. This was July 18, 07, one of the first runs I hit 12 sec in the LGT last summer (finally!) running against Mav's stock 07 STI. This was his best run 13.71. I ran a 12.93. Watch the tac.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »BTW, what's our tranny code?A246EI just checked out IPT,they have some good prices.I was down in Jersey this summer,I should have dropped the Vibe off there for a full build.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

So when I install the S/C this spring in my Manual 5spd what should I do or am I ok to leave it the way it is? Your the pro's and would love some advice.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Petrucci914

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Most likely just a clutch-upgrade. Shouldn't need to do anything else other than use some good tranny fluid and get a tranny cooler.
kevera

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »So when I install the S/C this spring in my Manual 5spd what should I do or am I ok to leave it the way it is? Your the pro's and would love some advice.You're lucky,with the 5 speed you really don't have anything to worry about,maybe clutch and flywheel.The manual can handle 250hp.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »You're lucky,with the 5 speed you really don't have anything to worry about,maybe clutch and flywheel.The manual can handle 250hp.+1the downside to the auto's is they can't hold as much power in their stock form. Thus the need to beef up the TC or VB. MT usually has to worry more about the clutch. and I doubt the S/C is going to put you in over what the stock tranny can handle imo. I order the 08 STI next month. The stock tranny seems to be holding about 350-400 whp on it, and since I'm shooting for about 330-350 whp, I should be ok for stock internals, except for the crappy stock clutch. That will be later down the road regardless.however, having an auto that blows the doors off most of the tuner "imports" and some of the v8's, is just.... hard to explain.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
xrs06

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by xrs06 »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »here's an in-car vid of the tac. This was July 18, 07, one of the first runs I hit 12 sec in the LGT last summer (finally!) running against Mav's stock 07 STI. This was his best run 13.71. I ran a 12.93. Watch the tac.I'd probably give an arm and a leg to have such a clean start.Over 250whp on a FWD car is a pain to get off the line.AWD FTW