Gauge Pod Woes

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

Gauge Pod Woes

Post by Petrucci914 »

Why did I buy a 2 5/8" Gauge? There are no pods for this thing! Only 2 1/16.........why get a smaller gauge when you can get a bigger one? Sighs.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Kamikaze

Re: Gauge Pod Woes (Petrucci914)

Post by Kamikaze »

Oh man... sorry to hear that... looks like you'll have to get out the fiber glass and make your own..... good luck!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Just get a gauge cup and bolt it to your a pillar. Thats what I did and I think it looks great.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Stick it in one of your air vents. Done.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

get a projector one to put it on your window...then you'll have the biggest guage and all other men will be jealous and all women will want you.
Kamikaze

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »get a projector one to put it on your window...then you'll have the biggest guage and all other men will be jealous and all women will want you.
Petrucci914

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Oh Parnell. I already know that you want me, so why would I go through all the trouble and get a projector?Brian, would the larger gauge fit fine in one of the vents. I may just go and do this.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

so when you take me on dates, i can see your boost gauge The vents are 3 inches?
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

If you get me drunk enough.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ill pay if i get to ride in that SC vibe
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

North, you should say you'll pay to get him drunk then drive his car home.... duh... why would you want a ride when you can drive it?
BlueCrush

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »Brian, would the larger gauge fit fine in one of the vents. I may just go and do this.It should fit. Several people have located them in their vents. Here is a shot of xrs06's gauges:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kamikaze

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by Kamikaze »

Only reason why I wouldn't plug up all those vents is then you have to use the "defrost" setting to have the air movement from either your feet or the windshield, and if you have it on the windshield, then your A/C compressor is running, giving you less power....I would guess if you just did one of the vents it would be ok... I just wouldn't do all of them...
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

people also have used a pod on the apillar, the left side compartment and with a aftermarket deck, the blank half, also the compartment under the shifter and the bottom compartment in the arm rest thing a ma jig.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, I'd probably only do one vent with one gauge. Unless I wanted to put a mirror in one of them to remind me how pretty I am
xrs06

Post by xrs06 »

Or you could buy the Perrin gauge pod. I'm actually thinking about going that route.http://www.vividracing.com/cat.../5055
Powered by the "Disco potato".For pics of the car:http://photobucket.com/albums/b141/xrs06/
northvibe

Re: (xrs06)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by xrs06 »Or you could buy the Perrin gauge pod. I'm actually thinking about going that route.http://www.vividracing.com/cat.../5055OH those are cool!
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

I'm going to buy like 15 guages, and hook them up all over the car... I think I'm going to put them where the fog lamps go, and the reverse lights... I'll probalby stick one where the gas cap goes too...You can never have too many guages...ok, back on subject.... Petrucci, I think your best bet is going to be to put it in the vent to the right of the steering wheel, (left of the stereo)only problem is, you will have to take your dash apart so that you can route the line from the S/C thru the firewall and up thru the vent to the guage. Too bad you don't live closer, it sounds like it could be a fun Saturday project... I'm sure it will take a few hours to do...
xrs06

Post by xrs06 »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze » only problem is, you will have to take your dash apart so that you can route the line from the S/C thru the firewall and up thru the vent to the guage. Too bad you don't live closer, it sounds like it could be a fun Saturday project... I'm sure it will take a few hours to do...Actually you don't need to take the dash apart. Your steering column already goes through the firewall and where it goes, there's a rubber boots. You just run your vacuum line in there. There's also some wiring that passes there so it's a snuggle fit bit it will pass. I have passed quite many wires and vacuum hose in there so it does work. Once in the cabin, just route your hose towards the center console and where the radio is. Just pulled on that trim with your fingers, it will come off. You will have access to the air vent, just remove the little cup and press your gauge in the hole. Mine were 2 5/8" too and they just stuck there, no glue or tape needed. Make sure when you route the vacuum hose that you keep it away from the brake and gas pedal, you wouldn't want the pedals to rub against it and make a hole... Same goes for the steering column since it moves when you turn. Use some tie-rap to secure it. More like a 45min to 1 hour job.If you need more details, just post.
Powered by the "Disco potato".For pics of the car:http://photobucket.com/albums/b141/xrs06/
xrs06

Post by xrs06 »

Those thinking about the Perrin gauge, you just need to split the trim between the steering wheel and the dash. Then it should hold with a few screws going through the upper part of the trim. So when and if you need to go back to stock look, you just need to buy that trim.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

So, once you push it through the firewall by the steering column, how do you get it in the air duct? I would assume that it's all sealed, if not, is there an obvious opening when looking to the right of the gas pedal?
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

AWESOME!Thanks for the advice.... this should make the job easier for Petrucci... I was just going on spectulation.. I have yet to route anything from the engine bay to the interior on my vibe... I was worried that to get to the vent you would have to take the dash apart so you could run the line.
xrs06

Post by xrs06 »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »So, once you push it through the firewall by the steering column, how do you get it in the air duct? I would assume that it's all sealed, if not, is there an obvious opening when looking to the right of the gas pedal?You don't need to put your line in the air duct. You'll see, once you remove that little cup (air vent), there will be a gap between the air duct and the trim. Now depending how deep your boost gauge is, you might to "bend" the air duct a bit to fit it in. Your vacuum hose will pass in between the duct and the gauge.A little trick to squeeze the hose in the boot: Use a long flat screwdriver, then use electrical tape to tape the hose at the end of the screwdriver. Tape it for about 2 inches and then just "push it through". That's why you need a long screwdriver, to have some lenght to play with. Once in the cabin, remove the tape, pull the hose some more then pull the screwdriver out of the boot. It is tight so be carefull when you push not to cut a wire or something else...