Matrix xrs turbo

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
xrs06

Matrix xrs turbo

Post by xrs06 »

Well guys, pretty much my first time out of the Quebec section so go easy on me!I installed an original Hass turbo kit in june of 2006 on my matrix with the 2zz. At the time, I had to go through Jay Hass if I wanted one since that was before he closed down his shop for various reasons. I've been running that kit for around 10000 miles with only one problem to date: the flange on the exhaust manifold kept warping. In may of this year, I called Jesse at turbo-kits.com since he took over the fabrication of the Hass turbo kit and told him about my problem. He then sent me one of a different design that up til now has been fine.With my kit, I have the GT28RS and the Hydra. At first, the base tune was far from the greatest. Since you guys now, different cars will behave differently. I then made an appointment at MWR beginning of july this year to get a great map. And did Matt ever delivered! The car made 264whp at 8psi on the dyno on a 30C+ day and after 3.5 hours of tuning! I have to say that I'm very impress. The power available now is just amazing. It takes some time to get to know the Hydra but the possibilities are endless since it's a standalone. You want your cut-off to be at 1500rpm, 10 seconds later it's done. You can change all the parameters on the engine.Installing a turbo kit alone wouldn't be too wise. I have to admit that we need quite a bit of extra to make it safe and reliable, especially with the high 11.5:1 compression of the 2ZZGE.- Water injection to keep detonation away.- Gauges to keep an eye on the condition of your engine. I have a Defi boost gauge, Defi oil pressure and Defi EGT.- I also have a wideband to make sure my AFR stays in a safe range. That is a must!- A LSD to be able to put the power to the pavement.3 weeks ago, I decided to go at the drag. It was my first time and I have to say that it was quite impressive. Being surrounded by all those fast cars can be quite intimidating for a beginner like me. I was only able to make 5 runs because it was quite busy. The first 4 I had to fight some wheel hop. As most of you know, wheel hop can grenade both your axle and transmission so I wasn't too happy about it. On the fifth one (didn't go through the water box), I didn't have any and I was able to pull 13.67@107.939mph. Not too shabby for a beginner! Here's a little vid of that run:http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eds2m4QvLGUAs for the car itself, here are a few picsUnder the hood: Greddy catch can: Piping for the home made short ram: Front view with intercooler: Inside view with gauges: Side view, riding on Tein SS coilover: Pic of the dyno: Pic of the time slip (left lane): Any comments or questions are welcome!
Powered by the "Disco potato".For pics of the car:http://photobucket.com/albums/b141/xrs06/
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

that is awesome! with some practice, and with that trap speed, you are in 12 sec territory! :D i wish i could get those trap speeds! and not bad at all for the first time to the track! great job!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Re: Matrix xrs turbo (xrs06)

Post by BlueCrush »

Looks good. Sounds Good. Nice Gauge placement!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
xrs06

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by xrs06 »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »that is awesome! with some practice, and with that trap speed, you are in 12 sec territory! :D i wish i could get those trap speeds! and not bad at all for the first time to the track! great job!My run was actually done on street tires. I really had to fight to get some traction, was spinning all the way in first gear.I really don't think I can get in the 12's even with some slicks. Maybe low 13's...
Powered by the "Disco potato".For pics of the car:http://photobucket.com/albums/b141/xrs06/
ArcsVibe

Re: (xrs06)

Post by ArcsVibe »

I felt the power of this car over the weekend and needed to change my underwear lol!Nice job Ben, the car is amazing! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i bet the torque steer sucks. Mav is afraid if i add slicks next year, i'm going to break my rear axle or something. looks like it's the torque that's holding you back. where you are about 187 ft-lbs torque, i'm running closer to 300. but you are light weight. my top end sucks, but i have some things going in the car this winter to hopefully help that out more. i'd love to see 107 mph traps! and thanks for posting up some actual numbers and track times for a turbod 2zz! i've been waiting to see real numbers, not just vids from a dyno or highway roll.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
joholste

Re: (xrs06)

Post by joholste »

Quote, originally posted by xrs06 »My run was actually done on street tires. I really had to fight to get some traction, was spinning all the way in first gear.I really don't think I can get in the 12's even with some slicks. Maybe low 13's...You'd be surprised how much some track tires can affect you final time because just that better launch can take off quite a bit of time, and you might even be able to get a higher top speed.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

can u tell us the cost of the whole project
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

Awesome! Chance at some great times on the 1320.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
xrs06

Post by xrs06 »

Hey Sam! Glad you enjoyed the ride! Actually looking to get another little "somethin somethin" for next spring but if I get it, you better wear a diaper cause you will get wet for sure!AKLGT: I agree with you on those highway pulls, Always difficult to get a feeling of some sort. As for a time slips, well, it tells you how it really is.manicdan: That's one area I don't like to talk about. If you go on http://www.turbo-kits.com, you might get a rough idea. Then you could add some Autometer gauges instead of Defi to save a few hundreds... But again, you get what you pay for.tangerine: If you're talking about the torque part of the dyno, the scaling of it is 2 lb/ft so it's quite normal that it "moves" more than the whp side, which is scale at 10whp. If you take peak tq, 187 at 5200rpm, it only dropped at 177 at 7500rpm.