New engine or rebuild?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Lancer

New engine or rebuild?

Post by Lancer »

I think everyone knows I wore out most of my piston rings. Most likely from the overly rich map from Unichip and a lot of 'aggressive' driving (gotta love boost!).I'm really strung out with the cash right now so I need honest and realistic oppinions. We all would like a mwr full race engine. Trying to keep it under $2grand. I have the 1zz so it's already got iron sleeves.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

When i was day dreaming, I had the idea of SC'ing the vibe. getting a 2nd engine and building it up so i had 2 engines, 1 stock and 1 built up.
joatmon

Re: New engine or rebuild? (Lancer)

Post by joatmon »

A lot depends on your personal situation. You say money is tight right now. Do you need the VIbe to be reliable transportation, or do you have alternatives if the VIbe were to be out of action for a long period of time? Do you have facilities where you can house and work on an engine over a long period of time?Me, well, doesn't really count because I use the Vibe for a daily commuter car, I need it to be on the road, and I don't care about adding power. I couldn't deal with it being off the road for a long period of time. However, I do have a garage that I could work on an engine in. So for me, if I wanted the power, I'd probably get a new engine, drop it in so that the car was reliable transportation, and then rebuild up the old one as time and money allowed. This would require dropping a grand on a new 1zz up front, no small impact there, but cheaper than buying a second car to get to work in while the Vibe lay crippled in the garage. Really though, if it was me, I'd go with the cheapest alternative that would make the car reliable again. If all you need in the current engine to get by is a new set of rings, then just do that for now, save up some money, and when you can afford to really build up the engine of your dreams. do it. If, however, when you can afford to do it, you find that your priorities changed, maybe a different car, maybe something not automotive is now more important/desirable and needs funds, then you'll have the savings and won't regret sinking a ton of cash into a car you no longer care as much about.
satur9

Re: New engine or rebuild? (joatmon)

Post by satur9 »

are you planning on upping the boost. if not your wasting your money on forged pistons.get a good set of rings and a decent tune and your set.
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Did you do a cylinder leak-down test to be positive it's the rings?
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Lancer

Re: New engine or rebuild? (djb383)

Post by Lancer »

Quote, originally posted by djb383 »Did you do a cylinder leak-down test to be positive it's the rings? Yup. Also a compression test. The BEST cylinder was -18%. The worst was -36%. The other two were down in the mid 20%.Quote, originally posted by satur9 »are you planning on upping the boost. if not your wasting your money on forged pistons.get a good set of rings and a decent tune and your set.Not really planning on more boost. Just stage 2 cams for sure. I wanted the forged pistons to help the engine last against my agressive driving habits (and get at least a +.5mm overbore for a little more power ). I love the boost! Even now with the car at almost half it's boost power, it's still fun. I'm not gonna give that up. My understanding is that, even if I do just get new rings, the block has to be at least rehoned. Which means the engine has to come out no matter what. (Am I right? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on this.) So, as long as it has to come out, might as well put in something stronger, since the first set wasn't up to the task. (engineering 101 )But, since I have to pay between $800-$1100 just to have the block pulled then reinstalled, might be cheaper just to swap in a newer engine for now. Then think about saving up and getting an MWR stage 1 shortblock. It's cheaper (and easier) to just get theirs then it would be to build it up myself. Use the old short block for the core charge ($500). Here's what I'm looking at:Newer engine - $900 + R&R $1000 + tune ~ $300= $2200MWR Stage 1 shortblock - $1600 +R&R $1000 + tune $300= $2900(These are ball park figures. I know there's more to it then what I have listed. At least with these number I can start making calls)
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Valve(s) and or gasket were ruled out by the leak-down?
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Lancer

Re: New engine or rebuild? (djb383)

Post by Lancer »

Yup, The toyota shop manager came to me and said "yeah, it's deffinatly your piston rings."
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

hmm. that's a tough one. i would do what is necessary to get your by for now and start saving up for a fully race built engine. just me and what i'd do. and that's pretty cheap. unless, i'm reading it wrong, a new fully built race tranny for my LGT will cost me $4300 plus shipping my tranny to them in NJ!*edit* oops.... not sure what it would cost for a rebuilt shortblock, i know i can get a new 2.5L from SOA for $1800, not including install.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Did the mechanic say what they sealed the cylinders with to determine it was the rings? If that's the case, then the cylinder walls will likely have some scoring also. Kinda hard for one to be damaged (rings) and not the other (cylinder walls). I would opt for another engine if your pressed for down time. That way you can rebuild another engine (machine shop work) and take your time with the other stuff. When it's complete, pull the old and drop in the new(er). While the head is off, it needs it needs to be serviced. This would be the perfect time to check and record valve clearances, disassemble the valve train, clean the intake valves and have the seats ground/replaced. No since going in with new cams if the rest of the head assembly is not freshened up. How clean is your work shop? Have a good engine stand/hoist, ring compressor, torque specs/wrenches, work table(s), PATIENCE, etc., etc.?
Lancer

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Lancer »

The car still runs pretty good. Just slower and alot smokier when I hammer on it. It kinda surges more lately too.
drunkenmaxx

Re: (Lancer)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i say get it up and running so it can be dependable. you already have a bullet proof tranny, so start stacking chips and get something kick (removed) when money is right.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Truckin1999

Post by Truckin1999 »

I just had a dealer tell me my Grand Prix had a bad bearing or other internal damage. Quoted $2k to start tearing the engine apart. That was just the starting price. I tore the motor down myself and found a leaky intake manifold gasket was to blame for the terrible noise I was hearing. Point being that the dealer is not always right. Are you blowing white smoke? It sucks that you have to dump a bunch of money into it. If you were closer, I would hook you up on labor. I could pull the engine out of a vibe and re-install it for less than $500.I say build a second used engine, and drive the current one as long as you can.
-Sean Cummings--Crushed Blue Steel Motorsports-06' GT, Abyss, Leather, M&T, Tint, Roof Spoiler, Magnaflow Cat-Back, K&N Short Ram modified for ram-air, S-Tech's, 18" KV5 Wheels, SLP Ram-Air Hood, paint matched headlights, strut tower brace.Now Making Custom Vibe Sub Enclosures
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Hey Lancer, sorry to hear about your motor Since you know that I just went thru this, I want you to know that what i did has worked out so far. I found my motor from car-parts.comIt was $800 with 7k miles on it out of a 2005 corrolla that had been in an accident. I paid a local shop another $800 to R&R it , and I bought a new clutch. Soooo , there is your less than 2k model. Drive your motor till it crashes, then do the same thing. That is my advice
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
Lancer

Re: New engine or rebuild? (Faultline)

Post by Lancer »

Thanks for the kind words.I'd like to save the old (current engine) to use to either build up or use for core charges for an MWR shortblock.Thank's for the link though! I 've been waiting to shop for a new engine until I get the money for it. It's gonna take a while. B-day parties, weddings, x-mas shopping already. Not to mention all the regular bills. I hate my life.
ProtonXX

Post by ProtonXX »

Im in the same boat. I have a busted 1zz with Oil leaking into cylinder 1 causing miss fires. Are rebuilt racing engines better on mileage? I just want the car to drive to walmart w/o smoking or missfiring lol
Lancer

Re: New engine or rebuild? (ProtonXX)

Post by Lancer »

Sucks, don't it?Quote, originally posted by ProtonXX » Are rebuilt racing engines better on mileage?Depends on how thier tuned and driven. A lot of people have daily driven cars with TONS of horse power. Wife's got a relative with a 600hp Supra that he uses for a daily driver, even in the winter. Not to mention Hope and Mavrick and thier STI's. Did some shopping last night thank's to Faultline. 04' matrix/no intake35kmi $88003' matrix/needs pan/no intake49kmi $78506' corrola/didn't say anything?2,000mi $900There's one more but no info on it except it's an 03' vibe engine for $800.All four are located within 30minutes of my home.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Those prices don't seem to bad,If I were to choose one of them,I would go for the 06'.Now you have to find a shop to do it cheap,or get a cherry-picker and pull that baby yourself.It's funny because this thread brought Faultline up from the dead. Hope you get something figured out soon.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I may not be a mechanical genius, but let me know if you need an extra pair of hands. I can maybe talk to my Bro and see if he knows anybody through WIR that pulls and drops engines.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Lancer

Re: New engine or rebuild? (Petrucci914)

Post by Lancer »

Yeah, could you ask for me? I've had REALLY bad luck in this city trying to find a decent mechanic. The only one that's been good to me and my car was Bruce @ Aamco.I have a couple shops in Sheboygan county that I trust if I really need them.
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I'll see what I can do. I know a guy in Green Bay. When I had my Toyota Paseo it had bad valve stem seals and he did all that for me for cheap. I'll see what turns up in both cities.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
ProtonXX

Re: New engine or rebuild? (Petrucci914)

Post by ProtonXX »

Would rebuilding result in a better engine? Ill be working with 3 Engines in 2 Vibes. . The new one Im getting is low mileage/used. The broken one has a oil leak in cylinder 1. The ok engine is in my current vibe but would be nice to fix the busted engine for a backup.
Faultline

Re: New engine or rebuild? (kevera)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »It's funny because this thread brought Faultline up from the dead. .Yeah I know, I have been so busy. Btw did Manchester win today? It was 1-0 at half time against Chelsea last I saw. Then I had to watch the USA woman's team lose to Brazil. Glad that web site worked out Lancer. Check back to it from time to time as new stuff keeps popping up. Finding a competent mechanic to remove and replace a motor should not be too hard. It's finding one that can tear one down and rebuild it properly that is much harder. At least you dont have to do that.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail