Supercharge or Turbo?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Petrucci914

Supercharge or Turbo?

Post by Petrucci914 »

I'm starting to think about forced induction within a year or so. I've looked at buying the supercharger and getting it new will cost around $2500, with the occasional used/new units being available on ebay for $1500-2000. The turbo kit is about $4000. Do you think it's worth it to go all out and get a turbo kit instead of the supercharger? I would probably need to upgrade some internals for the turbo setup, you think?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
joholste

Re: Supercharge or Turbo? (Petrucci914)

Post by joholste »

either way you go..plan an extra 1500 to 2000 for an upgraded transmission. at the very least you need to upgrade your torque converter.I have a turbo that i will be installing sometime after my return from deployment. I'm going to be paying for the upgraded transmission from level 10.if you plan on getting a lot of power...your best bet is to go with the turbo. If you just want to give your car a little more oomph...then i would say go with the SC. a lot of people have been really happy with the GM/TRD SC after they put them on.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

The SC probably wont be as harsh on the engine and will be easier to maintain. Also if you get the SC you can just stay stock sc with that ecu and probably have no issues. If you turbo...prepare for tuning and lots of extra work to get it up and going. If you just want FI and nothing crazy get SC, its known to work, its been tested and its reliable.Turbo... can get complicated, real hot, maybe more maintenance when the bearings start to wear out, more work to install, but you get more power.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

If you are serious about it, i would say turbo... It's free power (not $ free) no belts to turn, no parisidic loss like on a SC. but, as everyone stated already, it's a lot more work, more tuning, more plumbing, more headach, but can be a LOT more power...
kevera

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by kevera »

The problem with turbo and auto,well is the auto.Plan on spending more than 2 grand,trust me on this one,our tranny's suck with any amount of extra hp.If you had manual than I would turbo for sure,but in your case go with the s/c.Read up on this and tell me what decision you makehttp://matrixowners.com/index.php?showtopic=63187
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Mario

Post by Mario »

Turbo your car if you have the money an resources to do so.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

You have to decide what you really want to get out of your car. I'm already beating Mustang GT's around here and that's good enough for me, sorta. I wouldn't mind being able to beat some guys and there Cobalt ss s/c with some stage upgrades. Maybe after the engine rebuild with cams, if I ever find the money for it. But I'm just about at the point where it's fast enough for me.How fast do YOU want to be with your vibe? What are you gonna do with the added power? And how much money are you willing to put into it. I've spent around $7000 over the past 5 years on my engine (tranny and 2 custom exhaust systems included). Now I have to spend another $1500-$2500 rebuilding or replacing the shortblock.I would say get a supercharger. I don't want to loose my "fastest Vibe in WI" title. You can get a NEW s/c kit off e-bay for $1500. I got mine for $1550.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Petrucci914

Re: Supercharge or Turbo? (Lancer)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Better watch it, brother. I'm coming for you! . I'm thinking I can say second fastest base Vibe in WI, unless there is an elusive SC'er out there! I think I'll go supercharger and still use the UNICHIP. That way I won't have to upgrade the tranny right away, at least. Just hoping to have some fun with it for a few years before I buy a different vehicle.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Vivid_Art

Post by Vivid_Art »

Im in the same boat as yourself Petrucci, im looking to get a unichip and s/c by spring with my tax return money. Have you had any luck locating a new s/c? Oh by the way, are you a DreamTheater fan, is that why you have the name Petrucci or as that your real name?just curious
Petrucci914

Re: Supercharge or Turbo? (Vivid_Art)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I haven't had luck finding one. I'd only get it on ebay because I don't want to pay the retail price. Plus, I'm not going to look for a while.....I need to clear my debt first. And yes, big Dream Theater fan!
Vivid_Art

Post by Vivid_Art »

Train of Thought is my fav album! Yeah dude im exactly in the same position you are in right now. I have to wait until next year to get it, hopefully I can find one.
Petrucci914

Re: (Vivid_Art)

Post by Petrucci914 »

haha. Train of Thought was the only one I disliked greatly. I miss the old Dream Theater but the new album is very good.
Vivid_Art

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by Vivid_Art »

haha, well I honestly only have like 2 of their cds. Yeah train of thought is a little bit less technical and little more just plain metal. Its good for just blasting in the car.