Finley boost

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
vibe Freak

Finley boost

Post by vibe Freak »

Well since Monday I have been running around the S/C on the car. I can't wait until it cools down in Phoenix. The car pulls like crazy first thing in the morning. I am very happy with the out come of the Blower.
RFP1 17x8 , AFE Cold Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Plus, Eibach Sportline Springs with Tokico Blues, Progress sway bar, Alutec OEM Sized Lightened Crank Pulley full custom Magnaflow 2.5 header back exhaust and B&M tranny cooler E/S inserts Unichip.
kevera

Re: Finley boost (vibe Freak)

Post by kevera »

Finally.Man,you were slower than me,j/k.Glad to hear it worked out for ya,and welcome to the club.Mornings and cool nights make for some serious pulling power.I thought you were keeping the unichip,last time we spoke.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Congrats, Dom! Great to hear you finally got it installed.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
CountryVibe

Post by CountryVibe »

congrats glad it's running good
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
vibe Freak

Re: Finley boost (kevera)

Post by vibe Freak »

Thanks Guys. I have decided to run it with the TRD. Its a fun car that is still reliable. Next is the 2.5 exhaust if some one will buy the Unichip.
RFP1 17x8 , AFE Cold Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Plus, Eibach Sportline Springs with Tokico Blues, Progress sway bar, Alutec OEM Sized Lightened Crank Pulley full custom Magnaflow 2.5 header back exhaust and B&M tranny cooler E/S inserts Unichip.
kevera

Post by kevera »

I understand totally.An outstanding member here talked some sense into me and I decided to keep the TRD and go for reliability,because the power is still there.Glad you enjoy it.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by vibe Freak »Well since Monday I have been running around the S/C on the car. I can't wait until it cools down in Phoenix. The car pulls like crazy first thing in the morning. I am very happy with the out come of the Blower. You know, being where you are you might consider a water to air intercooler.... Air to air might not work so well with the ambient temps, but water to air might just do the trick...
Lancer

Re: Finley boost (Sublimewind)

Post by Lancer »

The blower bolts right up to the intake of the engine. So, you can't do any sort of intercooler. Unless it's a container full of ice that a cold air intake could run through.The best method of cooling the charged intake with our s/c is water/meth injection. If your going to stick with the TRD ecu, and get a larger exhaust system, it could probly save your engine from going BANG, rattle, rattle, rattle.Vibe freak, Do you have an auto? If so, you should install a tranny cooler. You can pick them up cheap at advanced auto or autozone stores. They're very easy to install, too.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
vibe Freak

Re: Finley boost (Lancer)

Post by vibe Freak »

I all ready have a B&M tranny cooler on the car. I will be running the stock air box with the JP Header and a custom exhaust down the road after the Unichip is sold. What will the water injection run me.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Depends on where you get it. Got mine off of ebay. From http://www.aquastealth.com/ind...&HS=1.All the installation pics are here:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24057Do you have the N/A Unichip or with the 'turbo-modual'? I'm trying to get a new harness for mine cause it was crap and keeps killing my MAF sensor.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
kevera

Post by kevera »

I'm running the snow stage 2 kit.Real easy to setup and was cheap too.Either way it's something to consider to keep the temps down.http://www.snowperformance.net/
vibe Freak

Post by vibe Freak »

So guys is there a power difference with and with out the kit, or is it just to protect the engine.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I didn't notice much of a power increase. I did notice it run smoother up the rpm's. And it just 'felt' stronger. It's hard to explain.If you would use your Unichip, you can hook the w/i kit up to it and when the w/i is running, the Unichip will advance the timing a couple more degrees for a some slightly noticable power. I think they should have advanced it at least 4-5 *. Then you'd really feel it. But that should be done with a dyno tune.Just a question for ya.Why don't you get a cold air intake? You have the header and are planning to get a larger exhaust? It's almost pointless unless you get the air flowing into the engine.
kevera

Post by kevera »

If I was him,I wouldn't be running the cai without the unichip.That's asking for trouble.
vibe Freak

Post by vibe Freak »

Holy crap I just got back from playing in the car. If its this much fun when its 103 out side then in the winter its going to be nuts. I cant wait to get the Header and exhaust on the car. If you have the means jump on the next S/C that's on sale.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »If I was him,I wouldn't be running the cai without the unichip.That's asking for trouble.A couple of gauges will help keep an eye on things. The TRD ecu runs REALLY pig rich to begin with. Should be alright with a cai/h/e and w/i. Oh, and the highest octane gas you can find. But like I said, it's a waste of money to put on a header and larger exhaust (for more power!) if your not going to also increase the flow into the engine with a cold air intake. At least get a short ram intake. He's obviously been caught by the modding bug! Might as well use the Unichip and feel the full potential of the s/c! Or pick up a camcon a/f/i controller. They're cheaper then the Unichip.Quote, originally posted by vibe Freak »Holy crap I just got back from playing in the car. If its this much fun when its 103 out side then in the winter its going to be nuts. You think it's fun now!? Hehehe. Yeah, just wait for cooler weather! My car is a total dog when it's hot (only80's-90's). And we also have very high humidity that makes it much worse.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Ive seen a handful of ppl with SC and cai or sri with no issues on stock trd edu.. You just get a better tune with the piggy back ecu's.
kevera

Re: (northvibe)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »Ive seen a handful of ppl with SC and CAI or sri with no issues on stock trd edu.. You just get a better tune with the piggy back ecu's.You can run a sri without too much problems,but run a CAI without w/i with the turd ecu,it's a ticking time bomb,not too smart IMHO.To be safe,and if you want your engine to last(ahahahaha),you need a piggyback or standalone.I go cruising at night up here,and with the cool air,feels like I gain 50hp.Man is it fun.I'm probably going to need new tires soon.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yes, if you get yourself to the track, you will notice that power increase with cooler weather. f/i cool weather. in the winter, i detune the car so it will not rev much over 2500 rpms. hopefully this will help so i do not end up in the ditch (again) or into the rear end of another vehicle (again). plus, i'll be going with studded winter tires this year. don't know where you are, but too much power, though extremely fun, is also a curse come snow and ice conditions. so if you have a crappy winter, make sure you get some decent winter tires and radials.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Re: (kevera)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »You can run a sri without too much problems,but run a CAI without w/i with the turd ecu,it's a ticking time bomb,not too smart IMHO.To be safe,and if you want your engine to last(ahahahaha),you need a piggyback or standalone.I go cruising at night up here,and with the cool air,feels like I gain 50hp.Man is it fun.I'm probably going to need new tires soon.Im going to agree...I was just saying sri would be the safe route if you stay stock sc ecu. If i SC'd with my trd cai id get a piggy back to do W/I.
tcam

Re: (northvibe)

Post by tcam »

how does a Supercharged Base Vibe compare to a VibeGT? aren't they just about even? 1/4 mile wise
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

SC base to a stock GT are fairly similar, I think if you mod the SC base you can beat a GT, pully, chip, exhuast, intake etc.Looks like SC'd do like low 15's while GT's can do 15's and then lower if they have mods.
mandoeclipse

Post by mandoeclipse »

i would like to see your vibe. i got one for my wife and am thinkin about doin stuff to it. i got the base model 1zz-fe and i actually run a car club out here. you can see my team @ http://www.midnightunerz.com. come check it out. you can log into the forum and leave some comments or discussions. well let me know when you bring the supercharged beast out.
mandoeclipse

Post by mandoeclipse »

you actually can do something like an intercooler but its called a heat exchanger. put 2 of those to max out the fresh air your blower will produce.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

The stock (gm or trd) SC for the vibe does not allow a intercooler
vibe Freak

Re: Finley boost (mandoeclipse)

Post by vibe Freak »

We will have to work out a time that you can check out the car. I am sure that you will want to put a S/C on your wife's car.
Lancer

Re: Finley boost (mandoeclipse)

Post by Lancer »

Quote, originally posted by mandoeclipse »you actually can do something like an intercooler but its called a heat exchanger. put 2 of those to max out the fresh air your blower will produce.Isn't a heat exchanger for fluids? Like I said the closest you can come to and intercooler would be like a water to air (air to water, whatever). Take the cold air intake and weld a metal container around it so you can fill it with ice. W/I is the best method for our s/c'ers.[QUOTE=northvibe]SC base to a stock GT are fairly similar, I think if you mod the SC base you can beat a GT, pully, chip, exhuast, intake etc.QUOTE]I've never been beaten by a stock vibe gt's, a well moded XRS, and Celica GT-s's. The s/ced vibe will slaughter them, until around 90mph. Then the power band starts to drop off for us and the 2zz's are still in thier's. Plus the 2zz's have a higher speed limiter, so they'll catch you eventually. [QUOTE=kevera]You can run a sri without too much problems,but run a CAI without w/i with the turd ecu,it's a ticking time bomb,not too smart IMHO.To be safe,and if you want your engine to last(ahahahaha),you need a piggyback or standalone.QUOTE]There isn't THAT much of a difference between a short ram and cai. Only maybe 2 more ft of tubing. Same diameter tubing. It's only a couple degrees cooler air. You make it sound like a cai is a 30 shot of nitrous or something. I'm pretty confident that the TRD ecu can handle a cai and exhaust with the s/c. As long as you stay at the stock 7.5psi settings. You start upping the boost, then yeah, you need more managment. I wouldn't go as far as a standalone with this s/c. That's way over kill! Northvibe, I'm sure that was a typo, you don't need any piggy back or anything to run w/i. It's all activated by a pressure switch off a boost line. You CAN hook it up to the Unichip so the chip will advance timing while the w/i is operating. The cooler temps and more timing will give you more power. Not much, but it's still more.
kevera

Post by kevera »

I run the w/i with the turd setup,and it's a adjustable pressure switch that controls it.So you can run it with the stock setup.Now,running a cai with the trd ecu with the s/c and no w/i is a bad idea.It leans it out too much,I know the s/c runs rich,but that keeps the temps down, and also keeps it from detonation,which is bad.You can get away with the cold air because you have the unichip.Damronjr also runs a cai but he has w/i.I can tell Vibe Freak did his homework,because he came to the same conclusion as me.If you think I'm full of crap,then search it out,not here,but our sister sites and when you come back,"I told you so."
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »I've never been beaten by a stock vibe gt's, a well moded XRS, and Celica GT-s's. The s/ced vibe will slaughter them, until around 90mph. Then the power band starts to drop off for us and the 2zz's are still in thier's. Plus the 2zz's have a higher speed limiter, so they'll catch you eventually. what kinda 1/4 mile times r u getting? From what I just checked out, a Supercharged Base Trix ran a 16.1 and also a supercharged Celica Gt ran a 15.9
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

So you've had the s/c for what 2 months and now your trying to tell me how everything works, ha? The TRD ecu runs rich to help cool the exhaust temps and help prevent detonation, was it? That's Brilliant!! (Nevermind what it does to your catalitic converter.)I've done my homework too and I think I've done more things with this engine and the s/c then probly most. I even ran the TRD ecu for a month or two while the idiots at Unichip tried to figure out what I needed. I used it a few times after that while the chip was sent in to try new maps out. I've been there and done that. I remember back when the s/c first came out and people were installing them, the idea of w/i hadn't come up yet, and the Unichip was very new. No such thing as camcon either. Yet most people still used thier cai and cat backs without much problems. Hey, some people got check engine lights, but most didn't. Heck, some people get the CEL with a cai without the s/c. Like I said before, some gauges will help you keep an eye on things. Running an engine with boost without any gauges is asking for trouble.I never said that he has to get a cai. I just said that it's a waste of money getting a custom exhaust and performance header, but not a cai or sr. It wont show any gains cause there's not enough air going into the engine. He's got the Unichip, try it out (only takes 10minutes to install it. Might like it. Vibe freak, If you want to run with the TRD ecu go ahead. I'm not knocking you for doing so. You seem pretty happy with the new power. I think you know what I was saying (4th post in this thread), so I'll leave it at that.tcam,I've been to the track only 3 times. Every time I got denied to run. Once, I missed tech-in by 15minutes, cuz I took a nap after work. Second try, spend an hour gutting the car, had just over a quarter tank left of gas. It starts raining just as I pull into tech-in. The last time I tried the Real Street Drags, I get set up just right, for once everything is working good. Pull into the road to the pits. There's a line half a mile long with trailored race cars. The BIG ones! It was towards the end of the season and the finals were the next weekend. Just before I got into the pits a saw that they were full. The real race car teams were using OUR night as a test & tune night. It would have been over an hour wait for one run so I went back into town to beat on some honda's (and a very suprised '04 ish Mustang GT ).Sorry never got a time slip. Only the 'other' unmentionable kind of racing. Got a picture some where of the XRS I beat twice with the TRD ecu and da wife riding along. Those times you put are pretty slow? Unless they are completly stock, other than the supercharger. And/Or really bad drivers on high altitude tracks on a really hot day? I bet on a hot humid day I just ight be around those times! Vibefreak is gonna frak when his car tastes the cold air of winter!
kevera

Post by kevera »

Holy,someone has to take a chill pill.No need to get all worked up,it wasn't meant for you that way,it was meant towards North.S/c is fairly popular up here where I am,lots of corollas and matrix.I've seen 4 guys this summer blow their engines running with the trd ecu and cai.So,I know a little bit,being exposed to more than 1.I've followed your progress you've made with your ride,I even asked for some of your advice,so I know you know enough.So,don't get all bent out of shape.But I speak the truth on this matter and I've seen it first hand and have read up on this many times.And,like I said if someone doesn't believe me,look it up.I had the unichip too,and a cai.It's sitting in my garage,collecting dust now.So,if there was any possible way to use it,without spending any more money,I would have.
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »tcam,I've been to the track only 3 times. Every time I got denied to run. Once, I missed tech-in by 15minutes, cuz I took a nap after work. Second try, spend an hour gutting the car, had just over a quarter tank left of gas. It starts raining just as I pull into tech-in. The last time I tried the Real Street Drags, I get set up just right, for once everything is working good. Pull into the road to the pits. There's a line half a mile long with trailored race cars. The BIG ones! It was towards the end of the season and the finals were the next weekend. Just before I got into the pits a saw that they were full. The real race car teams were using OUR night as a test & tune night. It would have been over an hour wait for one run so I went back into town to beat on some honda's (and a very suprised '04 ish Mustang GT ).Sorry never got a time slip. Only the 'other' unmentionable kind of racing. Got a picture some where of the XRS I beat twice with the TRD ecu and da wife riding along. Those times you put are pretty slow? Unless they are completly stock, other than the supercharger. And/Or really bad drivers on high altitude tracks on a really hot day? I bet on a hot humid day I just ight be around those times! Vibefreak is gonna frak when his car tastes the cold air of winter! haha, I think ur cursed. or maybe it's a warning telling u not to go lol. But yeah, I do think those times I found were cars with just the supercharger and intake. I bet your W/I system makes a big difference. But still, I can't really see you being able to slaughter a GT. Especially if it's modded.....(I'm tough to convince) lol Let's race sometime
kevera

Re: Finley boost (tcam)

Post by kevera »

On a lighter note,I have gone against a few xrs with my stock setup,and I walked away from them,I even smoked an 03.So with Lancers setup and 10psi,he should leave them in the dust.All this talk is making me wish with I kept the unichip.
vibe Freak

Post by vibe Freak »

Kevera, I got one for sale.
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »On a lighter note,I have gone against a few xrs with my stock setup,and I walked away from them,I even smoked an 03.So with Lancers setup and 10psi,he should leave them in the dust.All this talk is making me wish with I kept the unichip. No take-backs!
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
Petrucci914

Re: Finley boost (ajflan)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Oh man. You guys are making me wet. I NEED a supercharger.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
vibe Freak

Re: Finley boost (Petrucci914)

Post by vibe Freak »

Guys I put the JP Header on Monday and today see is pulling like crazy . I go to get on the free way and I am gone. The torque is incredible man I cant wait till winter. Its also 111 today here in the valley of the sun.