Turbo for the 1ZZ.

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
d_m_kolb

Turbo for the 1ZZ.

Post by d_m_kolb »

I recieved a e-mail from West Covina Toyota here is what they had to say.Quote from West Covina Toyota: quote:Derek,Thank you for your inquiry!!!Yes, we are working on a Turbo kit for the 1ZZ-FE.Our Celica GT is almost complete in prototype form. Once the car isrunning we will remove the manifold and test fit them on the Matrix,Corrolla, Vibe etc. Seems the major changes will be intercooler pipes.If you can hang tight for 3 more weeks we'll have a running car for allto see..Keep in touch.PS. We would be more than interested in your site. We now have manynew parts for the Matrix/Vibe. As of today, we now carry Rotora Slottedrotors for Matrix,Celica, Spyder, Corolla. Many other parts soon tocome!!!!Regards,Edrick AsuncionInternet Sport partsWest Covina Toyota1800 E. Garvey Ave. South.West Covina , CA 91791tel. 626-859-7400 x104fax 626-859-7410edrick@wctoyotasport.com http://www.wctoyotasport.com
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (d_m_kolb)

Post by d_m_kolb »

I spoke with Edrick Asuncion of West Covina Toyota on the phone today. The turbo is done for the Celica GT and started to be tested on Matrixs and Vibes soon. It will be a complete system and will be runing 6 1/2 to 7 PSI. Price for the complete system is $3500. You'll need nothing else.That means you'll be looking at around 240 HP to 250 HP in a base Vibe 1ZZ engine. Of course a boost controller will add psi gaining you more HP.
LocDog

Post by LocDog »

Hmmm... a 240HP boost from 130HP?... sounds a little fishy to me. That cant be safe.
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
Zero0ne

Post by Zero0ne »

SWEEEEEETTTTT ... Although I must ask how is this possible. I am engine illiterate and would be interested in any good links/book suggestions anyone might have. Will the Kit be something the average person with a bit of time, patience and some extra cash will be able to do? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.--Zero
Life is like an Onion...As you Peel away the layers, some of them make you cry!!!
LocDog

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Zero0ne)

Post by LocDog »

Im not sure, But i dont think this is something u can do on ur own... unless ur a mechanic.Doesnt the compression ratio of the cylinders and the air/gas ratio need to be adjusted since theres more air being pumped in from the charger?And how about the transmission... how is it that a transmission designed for a 130hp engine is gonna work with one that is like 240hp?
-aBySS Monotone Vibe-Auto Everything (I wanted a manual)-Moons and Tunes-No Badges-No Lateral Bars-Sony CDX-M730 Head Unit-200w PPI Amp Powering a 12" MTX Sub-9 1/2'' Stainless Steel Trumpet Air Horn-Spare Bridgestone Blizzaks Mounted on the Cheapest Steel Rims Ever
mu_ohio

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (LocDog)

Post by mu_ohio »

Those numbers seem a little high, but I guess anything is possible. I do know that the Eclipse had a much large 4 cylinder and higher compression coming from the turbo and made 220 hp starting at 150+ hp on the regular 2.0 4 cylinder. Heck, even the turbo on the WRX only cranks out 60 more hp.
2004 Pontiac GTOPhantom Black w/black leather
LocDog

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (mu_ohio)

Post by LocDog »

those numbers would work.... if the engine was on a race car and it would be rebuilt after every race... i thinks thats too much strain on an engine for it to work properly in every day use.
[Modified by LocDog, 11:14 PM 8/24/2002]
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (LocDog)

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:Im not sure, But i dont think this is something u can do on ur own... unless ur a mechanic.Doesnt the compression ratio of the cylinders and the air/gas ratio need to be adjusted since theres more air being pumped in from the charger?And how about the transmission... how is it that a transmission designed for a 130hp engine is gonna work with one that is like 240hp?I have spoken with West Covina through everal e-mails and phone calls and they sware the numbers are correct. Your welcome to contact them.Here are the components used in the total kit:Garrett T28 Turbocharger Spearco Intercooler (6.25" x 9" core standard, 9" x 13" core optional) 321 Stainless Steel Manifold 360cc or 440cc Nippondenso fuel injectors OEM Toyota oil pan with return line fitting Timing/Fuel/Diagnostic Suppression ECU Automatic Transmission "quick shift" ECU All necessary fittings, hoses, clamps, and fuel delivery pieces --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Special Provisions:Special manifold and piping construction allows replacement of T28 with higher output T3 or T3/T4 hybrid (for those that want to reinforce the engine internals) easily, so that only the manifold, turbo, and downpipe would have to be replaced. The included fuel delivery system will be sufficient to no less than 15 psi. Nitrous Oxide delivery ports would be built into the intercooler intake pipe and throttle body intake pipes, easing the installation of a Nitrous Oxide System to either freeze the intake charge at the intercooler, or deliver Nitrous Oxide into the intake of the engine. As for the transmission. I talked with a local Pontiac dealer here locally about what a stock trany can handle and he said that normally a manual can handle 60 to 70% more HP with out a problem. As for auto it's around 50 to 55% but if you up grade your torque converter it could be closer to 60 to 65%. http://www.levelten.com can upgrade your TC for you.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

This is a update on the West Covina turbo as I just recieved another e-mail from them.quote:Derek,Nice to hear from you again!!!The Celica GT is currently at the Tuner. All the hardware is completedECU and other details are being worked out. Once the kit works well,we'll test fit it in other vehicles and start production. No ETA yet.BTW,I currently have INJEN Cold air intakes for both XR/BASE and XRS instockHotchkis Sway bars also available.Thermal Research and Development Exhausts also available.Perhaps you can share this with the guys on the board?Thanks again!!Edrick AsuncionInternet Sport partsWest Covina Toyota1800 E. Garvey Ave. South.West Covina , CA 91791tel. 626-859-7400 x104fax 626-859-7410edrick@wctoyotasport.comhttp://www.wctoyotasport.comA little more info I have found out. With this turbo kit which is totally complete which means you wont need to by anything else. This kit is designed with torque in mind. They have done tons of testing on this setup and that's one of the main reasons it's taken so long to get it available. It's designed to be a daily driver and the HP figures on the site are correct. I will post dyno results in about 2 weeks.Another great design feature of this turbo set up is it will spool which means start to produce enough boost to increase HP at around 1,800 RPMs! This is all most unheard of in street turbo set ups. The lower the RPM when the turbo spools the low in the RPM band that the engine will really start to make loads of torque. With this set up your going to have more torque than you know what to do with even at very low RPM where the vehicle needs it most to get it down the road fast.By far this system is going to be the most reliable turbo kit available because they aren't and wont start selling it until every bug is worked out. I'll have more info in about 2 weeks.I'll have more info in about 2 weeks.
DVDvibe

Post by DVDvibe »

I am saving up for this mod!
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (DVDvibe)

Post by d_m_kolb »

With this mod a late model Camaro, Trans am, or Mustang could beat you. The 390HP Mustag probably could but not the SS Camaro or WS-6 TA. You'd win because the power to weight ratio is so much better...................HP.......TRQ......LB.....HP / LB.......TRQ / LBWith West Covina Turbo running 6 1/2 to 7 psiVibe............275.....240.....2701.....9.82...........11.25VW VR6.......200.....195.....3036....15.18..........15.57Subaru WRX.227.....217.....3140....13.83..........14.47CamaroZ28..310.....340.....3577....11.53..........10.52CamaroSS....325.....350.....3577....11.00..........10.22MustangGT...260.....302.....3317....12.76..........10.98Estimated Performance Specifications:235 hp / 195 lb.ft. @ 6 psi (flywheel)236 hp / 202 lb.ft. @ 8 psi (drive wheels) This is wheel HP! Flywheel HP would probably be around 265HP to 275HP259 hp / 240 lb.ft. @ 12 psi (drive wheels) This is wheel HP!
DVDvibe

Post by DVDvibe »

I don't know, I sure hope so but it just doesn't seem like it would compete with them, especially on bottom end, I would agree that on the top side of it, the vibe will absolutely come back but I don't think that it will be running low 13's in the 1/4 mile like the mustangs, etc. without doing more than just the turbo kit.
mu_ohio

Post by mu_ohio »

quote:I don't know, I sure hope so but it just doesn't seem like it would compete with them, especially on bottom end, I would agree that on the top side of it, the vibe will absolutely come back but I don't think that it will be running low 13's in the 1/4 mile like the mustangs, etc. without doing more than just the turbo kit.I might disagree when you consider this fact. The Honda S2000 puts out 240 hp and 152 lb/ft torque (11.0:1 compression). The vehicle also weighs about the same weighing 2810 lbs curb weight. The gearing on the engine is different, but that can be researched by our great posters. Ok, now you take a vibe and it goes up to 250 hp 180 lb/ft torque to be conservative against the claimed numbers. The car would have more torque by a fair amount and more HP which is reached at a lower RPM (S2000 240@8300 and 153@7500). If a S2000 can run a mid to high 13 stock, well it might be a close call for the Vibe. I know that many other things factor in to the equation like suspension and FWD, but if the numbers claimed are that high, you may see the Vibe doing mid 13s with a little tire/suspension upgrade. Then again I may be off
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Your RPM range is to high for the 1ZZ engine. IF you rev a 1ZZ to 7,500 RPM I'd be afraid of the out come. Stock it red lines at 6,000 RPMs. If I'm wrong correct me but I know it reaches peak HP at 6,000 RPM. With the turbo I still would think it's going to red line at 6,000 or at most 6,500.The turbo is set up to spool at 1,800 RPM so you'll have more torque than the tires will be able to handle. Even with a auto you can brake torque it. I'll explain. I have a auto in my car and since I want the RPMs as high as possible before I launch to race someone I'll press the brake and floor it. My RPMs will jump to 2,400 and stop. I then quickly release the brake and I'm off. It really help acceleration this way instead of just nailing the gas because my car has very little torque down low. When I torque brake the car I can normally brake the tires loose. If I don't brake torque it normally wont even cherp the tires.Ok back to the Vibe with a auto trany. Oh also remember the more torque you make the higher your RPMs will climb before stopping, so if my car normally stops at 2,400 RPM and I add close to 140 extra HP the RPMs might climb to 2,600 to 2,800 RPMs. That's even better for racing. A performance torque converter from Level ten would probably jump up to 3,000 to 3,500 RPMs and at this RPM the engine would probably over come the brakes.Ok I got off subject sorry. The turbo is going to spool (start making power) at 1,800 RPMs and you can brake torque the stock engine to 2,500, now with the turbo lets say 2,800 to 3,000. You will have so much torque when you launch you probably wont be able to steer the thing good. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone can explain in more understandable terms. What I'm getting at is the 1ZZ will have no problem with low end torque with this system installed.
mu_ohio

Post by mu_ohio »

Doh, I thought we where talking about the 2ZZ engine. I was referring to the difference between it and the S2000.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:Doh, I thought we where talking about the 2ZZ engine. I was referring to the difference between it and the S2000.Hey it's quite ok. I enjoyed the info and you had a great point anyway. Oh by the way. I found out the turbo system will be C.A.R.B. Approved as well as EPA approved. It'll be 50 state legal!
Sub-Vibe-R

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

As LocDog I'm very scepical about the fact we can boost this engine from 130hp to 250hp without cause any damage on it.Ok to add 20, 30 or 50 hp but 120, it think the car is not built to support this.I will need more proof to put that king of stuff in my Vibe.
neptunevibeawd

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Ben)

Post by neptunevibeawd »

The posssibility of the increase in horsepower is possible, I remember a past motortrend issue where they put a 201 hp v-6 into a beetle, then the added a twin turbo that increased horsepower to over 500 hp. They did extensive testing on it, in fact it had a 1 yr parts and 6 mos. labor warranty. So 250 horsepwer out of the vibe/matrix is possible and still be reliable.P.S. the bettle was a big time sleeper, had AWD and 500 hp, they estimated a 4.0 0-60 time, and a 12.55 quarter mile time. Not too bad.
DVDvibe

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (neptunevibeawd)

Post by DVDvibe »

Would a tranny cooler and a torque converter be enough to hold the horsepower for our transmissions or is it just going to be a constant thing of rebuilding the transmission or getting a new one that will withstand it? Anything else that would have to be upgraded to safely run the vibe with the turbo?
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

This is a mod that my wife and myself have agreed will happen if we can ever save up enough money. I'm going to install a trany cooler probably one with it's own cooling fan. I'm also going to do a total transmission fluid change to Amsoil synthetic trany fluid. The Amsoil fluid will help with any heat problem I might run into and keep the friction level down.This is all I'm going to do at first. I'd like to up grade the torque converter but that's $500 so it'll be a ways down the line. Hopefully buy then some one will also be making a shift kit for the auto Vibe.As for if you have a manual, a Unorthodox clutch and flywheel would be the way to go. The stock clutch might have trouble controlling the extra torque of the engine.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=845In another week I will be in contact again with Edrick of West Covina and will address these concerns.
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (ron_jeremy)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here's the lastest update.quote:Derek,I apologize for the tardy response.We are totally swamped!We were trying to get the Turbo up and running on a Featured Celica forSEMA this week, seems it fell through and we are not going to make itfor the show.Damn. Oh Well. We'll try to introduce it the original way.Our R&D guys are still trying to work out the ECM. Otherwise that's allwe are waiting for.Talk to you soon.Edrick AsuncionInternet Sport partsWest Covina Toyota1800 E. Garvey Ave. South.West Covina , CA 91791tel. 626-859-7400 x104fax 626-859-7410edrick@wctoyotasport.comhttp://www.wctoyotasport.com
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Admin II)

Post by d_m_kolb »

More infoquote:We're going to be using the (removed)-whooper ECU (list price is $799) for the tuning. It's got a million and one abilities, so at this point it's just a tuning issue. We're really hoping it won't take too long, but I absolutely refuse to rush it.As it is, they seem to be happy with the information they have and the parameters of the vehicle's fuel management system.Well (removed)-whooper ECU is obviously not the technical name, but for those that have been following all of this, there were three possible ECU's that could be included in the kit, and this is the most capable (and expensive) of the three.It's capable of controlling all aspects of the MAF signal, can retard the timing under boost, and can supplement fuel in tip-in, high altitude, and high load conditions. It's rather involved, but very nice.Still tuning, I'll update soon.EDIT: I'm aware it looks flaky right at the moment. This is obviously not the final fit and finish.Oh hey, here's a picture of the electronics: David Draper West Covina Toyotaquote:Thank you very much for keeping an eye on our progress over here We're negotiating pricing to try to keep it right where it was. I think this can be achieved, so keep thinking $3500.The HP numbers should remain the same, although it may go up or down a touch in real testing.That's about it for now, but I should have more info in the near future.Thanks,David
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I pulled this quote from another topic posted by (fault line).quote:I had the day off yesterday, so called Ed Asuncion of West Covina Toyota to find out about the turbo kit , and what about my intercooler?After our discussion,he pretty much persuaded to go with their complete kit rather than icorperating my own cooler;here is why.He said that right now that he could direct me toward a handful of people who could make a quick kit ,using my cooler ,but "who knows how it would do? it would be untested".He assurred me again that they could be throwing the kit together quickly them selves, but that they wanted to do it right.If I understood him correctly, he was talking of testing about every aplication for the 1zz-fe. celica , corrolla, matrix etc.,etc. and also, auto tranny ,manual tranny,etc.etc.. ...the kit will be tailored for every application and tested in varied conditions -weather-elevation-____?daily driver vs.racing etc.I got the impression that they were not going to be rushed thoughBut the kit sounds great!!I asked him if they needed test cars ? and he told that a lot of people asked him that ,but he offered me to e-mail him telling him of my car.he said that you never know who is sincere about offering their car, but that therewould be a bargain to be worked out ,if the car was used for testing.So I might just do that. I have extra wheels to get me about if needed.But as for my aircraft cooler, it may just have to be E-bay,or the garage again.
rodzombie

Post by rodzombie »

Has WCT said anything of the reliability and every day drivablity of the kit? And what about gas milage? How will that be affected? If all this can be acheived for the price ther saying then this is the mod to have. As long as it's possible to maintain the longevity of your stock (internally) engine and tranny. I might have skipped over it if you said already but I don't recall in seeing anything about weather or not the kit is being tested on a 1ZZ backed buy an automatic?
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (rodzombie)

Post by d_m_kolb »

One of the reasons this turbo is turbo is taking so long to be made available is because they want everything to be perfect. The way it was described to me this system will be installed on several different 1ZZ vehicles and they will be driven daily by the owns to find out if any problems come up. They will be testing this with a auto transmission last I heard. As for gas mileage. People don't buy forced induction for gas mileage purposes.
Cubanpete

Post by Cubanpete »

I was under the Impression this mod was being tested on the Celica GTS, the one with the GT motor, not the base model, can you clarify here?
mu_ohio

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Cubanpete)

Post by mu_ohio »

quote:I was under the Impression this mod was being tested on the Celica GTS, the one with the GT motor, not the base model, can you clarify here?They have been testing on the 1ZZ engine which is found in the base Vibe or Celica GT. They will move onto the 2ZZ engine or the one found in the Vibe GT, Celica GTS, and Matrix XRS. The 2ZZ engine is a little more tricky and a higher risk.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

mu-ohio pretty much said it right. They are working on a turbo for the 1ZZ first. They don't want to start another project that takes away from the first project that isn't completed yet. Once the 1ZZ is completed they have plans to start working on a turbo for the 2ZZ.Check this link out for info on the 2ZZ turbo project.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=416
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

This is one of the reasons why the West Covina Turbo is taking so long. It's really a good thing though since they are doing so much testing on it.quote:The problem with the WCT was that we switched companies in the middle of development so we had to start from scratch. Also, the WCT kit will include a lot of additional electronics which will take a lot of tuning. David will also be doing about 2000 miles of various climate/altitude testing on my car when the turbo is done to ensure reliablitiy. A lot of you guys post "we want reliable kits blah blah..." reliability takes trial and error and proven testing time. To ensure all this WCT is taking the extra mile to make sure our cars kick ***, and keeping on kicking *** as time goes on. Keep waiting guys the day will be here sooner than you think.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here's another update on the turbo.quote:Sooooo.......close The GT-S injectors were fairly close, but just not enough. No check engine light, smooth idle, and insane power.....at part throttle. At WOT, is coughs and wheezes like any car that's not getting enough fuel. So, the 320cc injectors must go, and we are currently trying to source some smaller-than-the-Blitz-525cc's injectors; possibly from Nippondenso, although fuel injector casing is a concern, and the original manufacturer, Aisan, is rather impossible to access.Boost did indeed come on a bit under 2000 RPM's, and the power, even sans correct injectors, was very noticeable. It was much faster than the GT-S w/ AEM CAI and TRD exhaust I had driven a couple of days ago, for example. An LSD would be a very good idea, btw, as I noticed skipping over a bump under boost gave a large amount of torque steer when the front end got all it's weight back. Even without being able to go above 70% throttle, the car could do 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds or so.It's worth noting, this car has the small intercooler, and the stock exhaust, so all the measurements we end up pulling off of this car will be a base output estimate. Assume a decent increase in power with the larger intercooler and an exhaust of some sort.The blue hose is run down to the BOV. It was relocated to about intercooler height, which may be an issue. I'm going to have to see about raising it a bit, or making water-proof connections possible. As it is, it's actually a recirculation valve off an Audi, and it's designed to discharge the air back into the system.However, it was note setup to recirculate (it was venting to atmosphere) when I drove, and it had a nice discharge noise
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:440cc injectors from RC or anyone else would fit right in? Actually, that's the problem. They don't just fit in. On the GT-S, they do. On the GT, you have to fit the injectors into a hole in the head. You only have about 2mm worth of extra space beyond the size of the injector itself, so essentially, the bottom 2.5 inches of the injector needs to be no more than 2mm wider than the current injector in order for it to work without modifying the head.And so you know, actual flow testing done at RC yielded the following:235cc on the stock injectors, and 320cc on the GT-S injectors. The opinion was, 35% more injector, for 35% more power. Only one problem......The turbo is producing a whole lot closer to 85% more power Even when it's turned back down to the estimated 6 psi, it should be 65% stronger than stock. So, injectors of 390cc are needed at the least. Were it not for one small section, the injectors out of the 3rd generation Supra Turbo would've worked, but that one small section tilts the injector up about 2mm, so the mist would be totally off.So, we have sent a 1zz head, a GT-S injector, a 3rd gen Supra Turbo injector, a fuel rail, and the bolts to Nippondenso in Michigan. One of the tuners has friends there, and obviously, they'd be a great place to get the injectors from.Alternatively, we're playing with S2000 injectors. Should have 'em tomorrow, and they're rated at 390cc (although at the Celica's pressure, they should be closer to 420cc).We'll see what happens.....Oh, one thing I can say, is this car moves VERY fast, particularly given the fueling situation. And, just like the factory setup, when you start to lean, it starts retarding your timing. All the factory safeguards are still in place Oh, and no check engine light! More later, but definitely getting closer.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Alrighty then!I am sometimes a little -mechanicly challenged- but i would like to ask something about the pictures.so then , the last pic of turbo: what kind is it now?it looks like it is resting upside down in the pic, from the way it rests in the car?so that the intake to turbo would come in from the drivers side, then the charge air would turn down. then out toward pasenger sidedown low ,up to front ,of car to inter cooler , across front, then back then up to intake manifold (did any one follow me)?also , what is that thing behind the air filter along the pipe, an air flow sensor? and again right beforethe ic plumbing ends at the the intake.?how about the cross bar that runs across at the back over the exaust manifold, what is that?is that an oil cooler across top of radiator?is the ic plumbing 3"?If the wastegate conrtols the boost from the exhaust side? why do you need a blow off valve on the charge side?Why not add a 5th injector like the supercharger will have, instead of all the injector sizing grief that they seem to be having?do you think that there is more or less room under the hood of our vibes,than in this celica?does anybody have the patience for these question? good vebrationsfaultline
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (fault line)

Post by d_m_kolb »

David talks about the 1ZZ-FE celica and gas mileage plus some traction problems he's running into.quote:Well, I drove 299.8 miles on 12.003 gallons of Premium Unleaded, netting almost exactly 25 miles to the gallon.This will inevitably drop a bit as the extra 400cc's of fuel becomes available, and WOT becomes an option in anything but first or second gears, but it's the price you pay for speed FYI, traction, even with 225's, is an issue in first or second gear. You have to go out of your way to not spin the tires in first gear. I say this because I can't use more than about 50% throttle in the lower three gears (in good conscience), and that still spins the tires like mad in first gear. A limited slip differential is a strongly recommended upgrade.I really need to get a video up....The kit comes with the injectors, and it will scoot along just fine on the stock wheels and tires, if someone is gentle. Unfortunately, traction is an issue, even with the 225's that are on the car now. It will peel out all through first if you let it....An LSD would be very, VERY useful. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the test cars have one yet.....Insurance doesn't go up automatically with a turbo kit, it's only if you want aftermarket coverage (again, in the States. I have no idea on policy in any of Europe).But, the kit is set to release at about $3500, and that includes all piping, ECU, injectors, etc. So actually achieving the power will cost about $3500USD. Getting it to the ground effectively via an LSD, new clutch, and some beefy wheels and tires will probably run another $3000 with installation.But while people are saving, they can have fun torque-steering into curbs and turning their stock tires into air pollution.
TGebiV

Post by TGebiV »

they put twin turbos on stock vett's and get 500 or so hp and they run for a long time i used to work for lingenfelter probably the best small block chevy builder around, oh and the have a turbo kit for the new cav. gives it 380 at the crank i think that is what they told me ill have to check again? so don't quote me on that
Frosty Vibe GT Monotone. Power packageMods Tinted windows.
Matrixgp

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (TGebiV)

Post by Matrixgp »

wow...thats a helluva lotta power to the wheels, but im still extremely concerned about the internals, id be willing to buy crower rods but id rather save money and divert it to getting the power down properly, like you guys said with the LSD etc. Also, im curious to see about installation prices for the kit, and warranty issues if any.
Vibegrrrl

Post by Vibegrrrl »

Okay so...I am excited. I am such a guy when it comes to cars and want this mod. I guess I would have to talk to my insurance company to see if I would still be covered.... I could go this summer and smoke the riced out buggys on the strip.
Base AbyssMonotone5 speed manualmolded splash guardsBadge overlays by Grafxwerks16" Aluminum...impatiently waiting for turbo...
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (silverawd26)

Post by NSimkins »

quote:I opened this Forum before Vibegrrrl posted on here and nothing was going on, now everytime I do it, MSN password or account pops up?What is going on here.I believe the broken image link in Vibegrrrl's post above points to an MSN site that may need you to login to view properly. It doesn't happen to me, but I am logged into MSN Messenger now, so it may not for me. Here is the code of the image:*http://ca.msnusers.com/d61ndp32flrrqj5n ... .jpg*We'll get it fixed via IM or in another forum so to not bring this thread off topic.Thanks silver.
Vibegrrrl

Post by Vibegrrrl »

Sorry guys...my fault. Hope everything is ok now.
Base AbyssMonotone5 speed manualmolded splash guardsBadge overlays by Grafxwerks16" Aluminum...impatiently waiting for turbo...
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

does anyone know if WC toyota plan to make the turbo for Vibe/matrix anymore?? Last I heard, David Draper said that the MR2 goes in next...But since the advent of the SC, do they still plan a turbo for the Vibe???.....anyone???
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
d_m_kolb

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Faultline)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here is a update from David Dreaperquote:Well as you all know, it's been awhile since I've posted anything relevant up here, so let me explain what's happening. FYI, there will be Cliff Notes at the end of this, as I'm sure it's going to be rather lengthy.*********************************WHERE'S DAVE BEEN?First, many of you have E-mailed me, PM'ed me, or tried to contact me otherwise. I do appreciate all your consideration by doing this, but you all should be aware that I've been diverted to another project which has completely consumed my time, and has taken me away from any and all TRD and sport parts sales. The management here would like the website revamped, and I have only until April 1st to make that happen. I am getting assistance from other companies, but the majority of the work rests on my shoulders, and I'm simply unable to perform my normal duties and finish the site too in such a short period of time. So, the inquiries I get are diverted to my associate, Edrick (a.k.a. TRDXYR on here and AIM), and he's handling the business as best he can, although I know people are falling through the cracks in some cases. Given are staffing situation, I simply don't see that changing till after the 1st of April.*********************************STATUS OF THE TURBO KITWell, since Day 1, it's been a struggle trying to get what I needed to work on this kit. My original budget was $1000 In May, they authorized the fabrication of the full kit, and it came out very nicely! After that, we needed little bits and pieces, but every part we needed to get would be scrutinized, and the same objections came up over and over and over again, making a one-day part acquisition turn into a month-long explaination of why fuel injectors are necessary. Sufficed to say, the interference added months to this project.Additionally, the store is not exactly in good shape, and their concern is with righting the ship, not developing turbo kits. They wanted to 'postpone' further work, to which I objected since it's already so close to completion. So, they have signed off any further interest in the turbo project.So at any rate, Edrick and I are currently raising the necessary funds to make the couple of changes I want to make, and to have one production-quality kit done and paid for.*********************************WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?Well, not really a whole lot, as the price will remain at $3500, at least in the beginning, and the progress should be much faster now. All the piping, the turbo, the bits, the pieces, they're all ready to go. I want to change a couple of things, but they're easy.As it is, several people have taken a ride in the car as it sits, and have generally commented that it had good pull, even given it's only had about 4 hours of tuning time, and I can't get one of the bolts tightened on the manifold, causing a leak (one of the minor fixes that I need to do), so it's still around 40 hp under where it will be. The most recent comments were that it pulls much harder than a stock GT, and is a bit faster than a GT-S. Considering it has the aforementioned problems and given the lack of tuning, I think that speaks well of the kit. And unlike the 'other' kit, the manifold is totally intact, and that's after 3000 miles. It's performed just fine in warm weather and in the rain. I really believe in it, enough to now front the costs and liability personally, so I think that says a lot.*********************************SO WHAT NOW?Well, I'm going to put the finishing touches on this beast and get it in to production. What I'm looking to find out at this point is, what kind of early orders are we going to get?The reason I ask is, in order to get price breaks, I need to get things in bulk, a.k.a., $10,000 worth of intercoolers at a time, 25 ECU's at a time, etc. One at a time would jump the price to around $4500 a kit.However, I don't want to do that. I want to get the kit out at the promised $3500 for those who have been waiting. So, what I'd like to do, is to see how many people would be interested in doing a pre-order when the kit is actually done.I'm not talking about 'give me your money and I give you a kit in 3 months', I'm saying after everything is done and ready for production, so we're looking at about a month. FYI, you would get to see what the final product looks like, would get to see videos of Celica equipped with the kit, and would get final dyno numbers prior to ordering, so you would know exactly what you're getting.So, let me know, because it's important. It let's me know what we'll be able to do.Thanks!, now for the cliff notes:*********************************CLIFF NOTES:Dealership dropped the turbo, I'm picking it up and finishing it myself, and I'd like to know how many people are planning to buy the kit, and how many would be ready to in the next 3 months.Thank you guys for reading this, and please let me know so I can talk to the suppliers.FYI, for those that don't know, the kit will come complete, including the following:-Audi TT turbo and recirculation valve-Manifold & Downpipe (both of which bolt directly on; no cutting)-Fuel Injectors-Piggyback ECM, with plugs to connect to the factory ECU (no cutting and splicing)-Toyota oil pan, modified with return line fitting-Spearco intercooler-Polished aluminum piping-New air filter-All necessary hoses and fittings. They are all pre-fabbed, so no cutting is required to install the kit.The kit is projected to produce 230 hp at the flywheel, and it has been installed on an automatic GT, although further testing will be needed to determine long-term results on the transmission.Any questions anyone may have are encouraged to be asked. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by LiqSilv01 I am definitely interested, and will have the money within 3 months.Whats the size of the intercooler? And how about a b.o.v, does it have one? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------The intercooler we're using currently is a 6.5" x 9.5", but I think that may well change to the 9" x 13" that was supposed to be an option. Then again it may not, it will really depend on our pricing.I hate money, I wish I could give these away for free As for the blow-off valve, there isn't an atmosphere dump. It's recirculated to the air inlet side of the turbo, to keep all the electronics their happiest. This is also the method employed by OEM's, and the people we're using to do most of the work do a large amount of work with companies like Toyota, Nissan, Audi, and Porsche.But, if someone really wanted to, I suppose they could do an atmosphere dump via an aftermarket BOV.....
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:Hay dave I thought you guys played around the arrangement of BOV if the BOV is after intercooler and before MAF sensor then it would be cool because MAF reading would still be correct so you can have one that vents to atmosphere. Atleast thats what Mark told me... and why I am going to redo the arrangement of this pipe so I can run better and smoother...Yeah guys get in on this deal its cheap, would love to be in on this fully researched ready to go turbo kit if it came out like 6 month earlier --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, yeah, but the whole blow-through arrangement just isn't working. I mean it works, but people would have to clean their MAF's like every 2500 miles, which seems kind of cheesy, and the temperature reading would end up being inaccurate. Suck-through is harder to tune properly, but better for reliability. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by DopeCelicaGT: Just out of curioisity why did the dealership drop the project?????????? Any reasons you can share with us???--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, two reasons. One, they are losing tens/hundreds of thousands a month, and are trying to figure out how to stop the bleeding. And two, this corporation has these "percentages" it wants. They'd rather make $50,000 profit at their percentage than $100,000 at a lower percentage.Essentially, they have their ideas about what they want, and they don't want to experiment, so they don't want to finish the turbo. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by ScruffyDuck: Im in, and i think a bunch of guys here in Illinois are waiting for this thing too. And since there is a piggyback ecm will the boost be adjustable or are you still thinking about hard coding it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The boost won't be adjustable via electronics, but we may or may not hard code the tuning. It would be pre-programmed for sure, but we might enable interested customers to be able to do some more fine-tuning. The only reason we wouldn't is to meet California emissions requirements, which frown on programmable ECU's. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by nate22: Dave...if you worked in the BOV...I'm QUITE sure some of us wouldn't mind paying an extra buck or two...If you're spending 3,500..hehe..might as well go the extra mile, huh? PLUS....it will be such a soothing sound to my ears, and FINALLY place the fear of the celica in the hearts of many young honda ricers across the country --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, it's totally doable, people just need to realize how big a differnce the price is. List price on the Audi valve is $41. List price on the HKS sequential is around $350 if I recall correctly. So we may well do it as an option, but it would add around $300 to the price (maybe less if we can get better pricing), which may not be what people had in mind....quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by larryd: Dave.. keep your head up, you're so close to being done and are by far the most popular person on nc.org In regards to the BOV, Im actually running a what you would call recirculation valve. Its a Greddy S Type BOV, it still recircs to the intake but its still quite loud. Ofcourse it would be much much louder if I vented to the atmosphere but it would reak havoc on the fuel trims due to my MAF --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I beg to differ. I think TRD_hOnEy6 was the most popular person on NC.org. She had 10 pages in like 4 hours and I can't even get 3 Sheesh! Maybe I should post pictures of myself in a thong And thank you for the encouragement quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by kireisceli: Like nate 22 said. If you can work in a HKS SQV, it will be graet.(Willing to pay extra) I will be interested if the kit will be out within 2 month. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Holy cow, two months?! You're killin' me blondie quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by F22-Raptor: I'll have to start my second job but I will order one hopefully within the first couple months. Just bought my wife a trip to disney and I dont think she would be able to say no..--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, how come if she wants shoes, she just goes and buys them but you have to beg if you want a turbo kit? *donning flame suit*quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Keyshawn: Question for D. Draper:How did you guys solve the problems with running boost with the stock MAF sensor and ECU that have been encountered by some of the other guys with turbocharged Celis? Has that issue been completely solved by your blow-off valve placement? Anyway, mad props for your dedication to this project.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Actually, people may find this surprising, but the MAF that is on the Celica is also the exact same one that is on the 3.0L Camry and 4.0L 4Runner! So, the MAF is more than capable of reading up to double the air that is running through it in stock conditions. The trick is to intercept the signal it sends to the stock ECU, and manipulate it to serve your own purposes. In other words, if it sends a 1 Volt signal @2000 RPM's in a low-load condition and you have injectors that are twice the stock size, the piggy-back intercepts the signal, and passes on a .5V signal to the stock ECU. It now sends half the injector pulse, which delivers the exact same amount of fuel as it would have with the stock injectors.Then, when in boost, you simply start reducing the resistance, and voila!, you have the ECU thinking it's in regular stock conditions while delivering the appropriate amount of fuel for the amount of air in the engine. This is also why your ECU doesn't flip out and send a CEL.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by tlminh: as i said before, and i will say again, i am highly interested in this kit, and ive visited the car once or twicehowever, before i can say i am TRULY interested, i want to know the reliability/longevity of such a kitit would be pointless to get a turbo, only to have it breakdown after 50,000 miles--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, the turbo kit is designed to be reliable for a long period of time, and to not damage any components. Although, like any engine, it will wear, and it will wear faster with the turbo. Unfortunately, the only way to say, "It lasts for 100,000 miles" or even for 50,000, is to put 50,000 miles on the car. That's a two-year process, so it's kind of not feasible really, unless everyone wants to wait till 2005 for the kit quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by bickley: Dave you have my respect....I will name my 1st born after you. Too bad I have a GTS If I had a GT I'd be all over this. You GT guys are so lucky. And the $3500 price tag is a good price. Look at the XS or Blitz bolt-ons for the GTS - like 6k and they aren't even out yet!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, the issue is, developing a turbo kit, even on the low end, is a $10,000+ venture, and with the Blitz S/C being right around the corner, it doesn't seem like a winning idea just yet. What I'm thinking would be better is to release the rods, pistons, and S/C pulley that would be needed to push a solid 300 hp. We may very well pursue that, or even a GT-S kit if there is sufficient demand.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by CelicaLicious: i need to sell my jet ski but i can prolly get it sold in 2 monthst and then i will have the money but go ahead and count me in. Ihave to get this kit plus what do you estimate for an instillation time cause my celi is my daily driver cant have it in the shop for too long(rental cars are expensive)i cant wait --------------------------------------------------------------------------------It could be installed in a day by someone with experience, or in two by an average shop.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by CONTROL ONE: what's up Dave ,my question involves shipping and installation.1.shipping - how big is this package going to be? paying the 3500 for the kit is one thing, but if i have to pay another few hundred to ship, etc, it all adds up.....especially to canada 2.install - is this a DIY type deal? can i sit down with a bunch of friends over a weekend and comlete this or is this a shop only type deal?3.hidden costs - will there be anything else necessary to buy? ie. new clutch, sparkplugs, etc etcthanks dave. if this makes it out by june i'll be getting it instead of the RX-8 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------1. The shipping wouldn't be bad. Probably an 80lb. package altogether, which would run in the $40's/$50's for shipping via UPS. And since it's a U.S. manufactured product, it falls under the terms and conditions of NAFTA, dramatically reducing the import duties.2. Well, the install would necessitate the following:-R&R exhaust manifold (which necessitates dropping the center crossmember, so this is the single biggest job in the install)-R&R manifold studs-R&R oil pan-R&R fuel injectors-Install piggy back, which will almost certainly be plug-in, making it a 5 minute job.-Install intercooler (5 minute job)-Install piping (more of a project, like an hour or so to get everything setup perfectly)-Install oil hoses and coolant hoses (another hour I'd bet)-Install the extras, such as the boost gauge, A/F gauge, and turbo timer if they've been purchased.3. There won't be anything else to purchase. We'll even include the hex-tool for the head-to-manifold studs if requested However, we strongly recommend the installation of a turbo timer, if nothing else. The car will need to idle/cool for a few minutes after it's driven, and most people find it an inconvenience to just sit there with it.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO: I rode in the turbo car about a month back. Man that thing pulls. With the light weight and good power it made a great trip... even though it basically ran out of fuel after 5000rpm. For a good comparison Dave took me on an agressive run with the celica and then we hopped into my WRX and took an aggressive run. Even though its an AWD vs FWD situation the Celica would keep up because its so damn light!!! I am running around 300hp at the crank and the celica had terrible injectors and probly would have been nipping at my bumper. When this kit is finished its going to be a force on the streets/strip.BTW: the recirc valve was pretty loud.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks Matt! And people, this gives you a good idea of the performance aspect.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by fourgig: Don't forget all the extras that you will need in addition to Dave's kit. Turbo timer, boost gauge, other gauges, some sort of pod for the gauges, possibly a new clutch, might as well do flywheel and LSD at the same time... And dammit, all these people that have rode in the car already...I haven't even seen the kit yet and it's my car! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------These are all good ideas to get, although I will say that the stock clutch on this car, which has been autocrossed and has 45,000 miles is still gripping just fine, so you may just want to keep in mind that your next clutch should be a bit beefier.And sorry, Ted. I know it's gotta be terribly frustrating. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by CONTROL ONE: if you can't adjust the boost at all, what's the point of monitoring it though?the only add on i see necessary is a turbo timer[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO: monitoring boost is an extremely important part of having a turbo. It monitors not only the performance but, also the well being of the turbo. If you notice your car running wierd and you look down and you arent boosting enough or you are spiking erratically... then it makes finding the problem easier. And it looks hella cool. boost spike/creep can occur. BTW: boost controllers wont work on the WCT kit from what Dave has been tellin me.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pretty much what Matt said. It's good to be able to look down and see a gauge that tells you what's happening if you feel something amiss. And yeah, odds are the boost will go up with the installation of aftermarket exhausts, so it would help you see where you're at. And no, boost controllers wouldn't work in the traditional fashion. You'd have to disable the wastegate, install your own, wire it in, etc. etc. It would be a project.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by fourgig: I think you want a boost gauge at the bare minimum just so you can keep an eye on it. Just to be safe.Basically all of the gauges are just for safety. If you know what the "normal" status is for all the gauges, you'll be able to quickly see when something is out of whack.Turbo timer is more of a convenience if you don't want to have to sit in the car for a minute before turning off the car.Clutch, flywheel and LSD are just to better get the power down to the wheels. Not really necessary at all. But I'm getting them because I autox and track the car.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yep, I agree with the gauges comment here, and yeah, it's important to remember that the car will have traction issues in first and second, and if you plan on dragging the car, a new clutch/flywheel/LSD would be a really, really good idea. Not quite as necessary for daily driven commuters.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by CONTROL ONE: how much would a boost gauge and turbo timer run?i don't run at the track and i don't autocross, it's just my fun daily driver.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Boost gauge would likely be around $100, plus the pod, which would be $35-$50. Turbo timer is about $100.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by jimmygt: How much is installation on this ? Also will this kit void the warranty ? Will this kit be offered by Toyota as an opption if I chose to buy a New Celica GT at WC Toyota ?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------If I had to guess, I'd say a typical dealer install would run around $600 or so, but I think we'll have alternatives available that will be a bit less.Toyota will not offer this as an option, and it will void sections of the warranty, so it's a good option for people that have a bit more mileage, where warranty is less of a concern.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by WHITECELICAGTS: I was wondering whats gonna happen for us GTS owners? Wish I had bought a GT at this point. Come on David, you have something in store for us GTS guys dont ya?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, I think we'll pursue options to enhance the Blitz S/C first and foremost, although it's possible we could pursue a turbo kit if there is sufficient demand....quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Baldhead_J: Put me on the list. I have been in since I read my first post Dave. In fact, I have structured the refinancing of my house around this. I do have a couple of quesitons:I'm curious to know if the fuel issue wil be squared away when the kit is relaeased. Will I be unable to push the car above 5000rpm without leaning out the motor and stalling? Do the injectors fix this problem? If not, what is the investment to fix this? Please answer this question.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks Baldy The fuel isn't really an issue. It's just the injectors I have in there now are insufficient (they're GT-S injectors). They're being replaced, but given the situation at the store, that was postponed till we move to the next car.Frankly, the car drives just fine now, but that's because the ECU has picked up on the lean condition and started compensating. That's not really ideal, because you're changing the parameters that the stock ECU sees. It's much better to have the ECU think everything is totally normal, and to make the changes you need to around it rather than through it.When the kit is released, the goal is to have OEM-quality driveability and reliability. Frankly, with as little effort as we put into tuning it thusfar, I'm confident that won't be a problem.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:Originally posted by Keyshawn Dave,From what you're saying it seems like the MAF sensor is NOT the problem after all. Is that right? Then the stock ECU must be whats messing everything up, then. Does that mean that an ECU like the Power FC WILL work on a boosted Celi? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, I'm sure the FC could be a solution, but not for $3500 Basically, the computer we include does most of the same functions, and is far less expensive, so for our purposes it's a better solution. I'm sure if someone wanted to go above and beyond with a bigger turbo, rebuilt lower end, etcetera, they could do that, and the FC would be a good solution for their needs, but I doubt it would yield any sizeable gains with this kit. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by JerseyJay Well David thanks for the short version of War and Peace, so why don't you peeps all support the war effort and send your deposits into David so he can get the show on the road as all his R&D is done and the kit WILL WORK! Oh by the way David being you've been away awhile the cats out of the bag on the little magic black box that will solve the ECU issues SORRY!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks Jay!, and no prob on the box. Enjoy the new car! quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by 2000REDGT Dave, I have been with you for awhile, and yes I want this kit, and also have the money for it now. I don't know if you remember this, but I bought the torque converter from you along time ago and had it upgraded just for your turbo kit. It still sits in my room waiting for your turbo kit. I think its admirable that you are taking this project on yourself and finishing it. And I love you in a totally non (removed) way.Thanks David D.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I love you too. In a totally non-(removed) way. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by kireisceli Sowwies David. not trying to be pushy, it's just been a long time.I do understand why it's taking so long, I only want to buy a perfected kit too. Can you tell me when you forsee the kit being done then? Thankies. You wrote " it's important to remember that the car will have traction issues in first and second, and if you plan on dragging the car, a new clutch/flywheel/LSD would be a really, really good idea." How bad is this condition(1-2 shift)?You mentioned "the hex-tool for the head-to-manifold studs ." Can you tell me if this part is Toyota/7th gen celica specific? I recently tried to install a header, but come to know that the dealership that replaced my engine has rounded one of the bolts. I tried using a unknown brand of hex tool, and the stud was much stornger than the hex tool itself. (the hex tool rounded)Can you please tell me how much this tool will cost? If possible, can you also provide a part # for this part?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey no prob. The 'hopping' condition on the first two gears is pretty noticeable, but can be compensated for with proper driving technique. But if you come around a corner and floor it you'll be hopping quite a bit. The hex tool is just a generic Torx socket for use on a regular 1/4" ratchet. Since you won't need the old stud, you could probably just use a pair of vice-grips to remove the old stud. Careful replacement with the new studs must be observed. It'll have directions The tool will probably be included with the kit, but if not, I'll give specifics on what to get, and the part numbers will all be included. The stud you'll be putting in won't be from a Celica though. Probably, it will be out of a 4Runner. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by oogleepnoi4u sounds like there is still some more stuff to perfect with the kit like the fuel problem but i guess my homeboy solved that problem when he just turbocharged a pontiac vibe with stock everything.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------It's extremely unlikely he's running stock everything. Wouldn't mind looking at his setup, though quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Steven G I thought about doing this with CelicaUK, when we were talking about ways of frigging the ECU to understand the increased air flow, but we discounted it because the air/fuel relationship is not linear. However if all the fuelling points can be reprogrammed, you're going to be as near as dammit with your fuelling.Good work all round David , people in the UK are already discussing what it would involve to bring one of these things over --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, that's a situation we encountered as well, so what happens is that you have one map for the timing, one map for the fuel based on REV's, and one map for the fuel based on load. Unlike fuel computers like the S-AFC, this allows you to vary the fuel delivery based on load, not just run a static increase at certain RPM's. It's actually a very nice setup. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by specblueGT5spd hey Dave, would I still be able to get the kit for 3500 dollars 8 to 12 months from now? Cause I wont be able to reenlist until then.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Honestly, probably not. We're only able to offer special pricing up front because of the number of kits that will be moved. We only get discounts from the manufacturers if we buy in bulk, and there simply aren't sufficient funds to keep $12,000 worth of ECU's and $10,000 worth of intercoolers on hand. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Da Kine Guy Turbo timer = no --> Just idle the car and listen to the radio a bitboost gauge = no --> But I would recommend one for monitering purposesEGT = no --> If the kit is of sound design there should be no need for one. When you start messing with your fuel system yourself, THEN you should get one.Flywheel/LSD = no -->Not necessary but I would definately recommend an LSD, stock flywheel should be fine.Clutch = Oh hell yeah! -->The stock clutch is made to take a measly 120 ft·lbs of torque. With this kit you're gonna be making in upwards of 200 ft·lbs, that's quite a difference.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, actually, (these recommendations coming from the manufacturer)Turbo timer = yes --> You'll get tired of sitting in the car every time you go out, and it may well annoy other people to sit in it for 3-5 minutes with you. It's $100. Live a little boost gauge = yes --> I would recommend one for monitoring purposes. It's just a good idea since the factory ECU has no safeguards built in regarding overboosting, creep, etc.EGT = yes --> This kit is designed to function very closely to stock, but it just flat out doesn't hurt to have one. If you creep up to 1600 degrees, it would be nice to know, wouldn't it? Granted, the timing retards as the EGT increases, so there are safeguards built in, but it just doesn't hurt anything to have access to that information. Flywheel/LSD = maybe -->Not necessary but I would definitely recommend an LSD when you get ready to swap the clutch, and a lightweight flywheel certainly wouldn't hurt.Clutch = when you're due -->The stock clutch actually held up just fine, and it already had over 40,000 miles on it before we got it. To date, it's still just fine. But, when your clutch has finally given up, it would be a good idea to replace it with a Jap-Spec TRD clutch. quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by kireisceli David:Just a quick suggestion. Not sure you have considered these yet. http://monkeywrenchracing.com/power..._injectors.html Seems like they used it for their MR-S turbo.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've taken a look at those, although at 500+cc's, it may encourage the stock computer to advance the timing, which isn't really a goal of ours since that would like increase NO emissions, and they sit just a hair differently than stock, and I'm not sure how that would affect things. But all ideas are certainly welcome, so thank you! quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by saiyajinc David,If you develop a kit for the GT-S around the same price range, I will buy it...ANYTIME...ANYWHERE!!! Other than that, on behalf of celica owners everywhere....thanks alot for the good product and support!!!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you very much! We mmmmmmaaaaaaayyyy pursue something with the GT-S, but frankly, with the 1ZZ manifold and tuning done, it would be foolish not to pursue the Spyder/Corolla/Matrix crowd first. All the same, if there's interest....well.... quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by redlineceli Dave I'm in for the kit too. I will have the money soon that is if I don't have to already replace my engine. Those last few days of rain here in So CAl did a number on the engine. A lot of water ended up in places where only oil, gas, and air should be. But, other than that I will jump all over this kit. Thanks for taking charge and doing this kit on your own. It's sad to see that TRD doesn't want to help.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, I think TRD would like to help, but really, Toyota is more the culprit, as they basically don't offer them any financial support, aside from the warranty thing. If Toyota handed them $5 mil and said, "Make it happen", it would happen. They just don't seem interested in doing that for some reason.... quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO GTS compression ratio is the problem right now with the GTS turbo. Its not impossible to tune but its just not safe enough and working with David on the last turbo for a year + hes a perfectionist and wants all the odds on his side.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Very true. I don't want anything to do with a mediocre setup. And the GT-S really is a hand grenade waiting to happen. We'll see....
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

quote:Originally posted by Oo DaRk StAr oO Since the boost will be computer controlled. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Actually, computer control would increase the expense/time exponentially, so we opted out. The control is the basic spring setup, set to 6 psi, which is why the thought is that boost will increase with a freer flowing exhaust.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by ScruffyDuck So when's this thing due out? And when's payment needed? Is payment needed in a month or in 2 months? I would have looked at the past posts, but thats what confused me. Some posts say 1 month for prepament some say 3 months. Which one? There's a pretty big show here in Chicago in May, and I was curious as to the timeline on everything, I was hoping to have it on the car by then if possible.Also, why not have the ability to adjust the boost up to 7 lbs? That way you can roll around on just 4 lbs, and if boost does creep during daily driving then you wouldn't have to worry so much as you would with boost creep at 7lbs.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, actually, the car can tolerate 10-15 lbs. of boost on stock internals (depending on who you talk to), and the thing will never creep to anywhere near 10 psi.Honestly, I wish I could say "Sure, it'll be out in May", but probably not. I'm working on it, and I've got a lot of the issue worked out, so we'll see.....getting the kit off the car and separated turned out to be a big relief in many regards, because we could see what exactly happened.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Drag'nGT Definately don't ONLY make enough for those that are ready to go right now without any real world testing. I don't drive my car as often as I used to. So I have the cash. I just need to really see the need for it. I've got alot of money tied up at the moment. But by the time you're finished, summerish , I and others... will be ready.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Definitely not going to leave others in the lurch. We're just in a position where we have to get pre-orders to make everything happen, and that's why the big push at the moment. But of course, we plan to have a few on the shelf for the remainder of the year. After that, it may be on an ordered basis, with difficult parts like the manifold kept in stock, so it'd be a week or two to put a kit together....quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Grooverider Alright, I have decided I'm in on this as well. I will be out of college by May 1 so I should be making enough change to afford this...I'm gonna clear the credit cards now for this.I'm a n00b when it comes to FI...do you guys think (having a shop install all of this) I can controll myself enough so that I can have this reliable and not fvck up my car? I just dont wanna mess up my car by installing this and not how to control, monitor, etc it...just n00b stuff.That is my main concern, messing up my car because I'm by no-means a mechanic, I just wanna smoke everyone and be happy.But DD, I'll have the cash in hand by April 1st, I'll sell my motorcycle if I have to.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------That's a main concern of ours as well, which is why we've spent so much time with it, making sure that it will be just fine for a long time. You should be fine without selling the motorcycle And thank you!quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Masayver Dave,Would WC Toyota be able to do the install?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Possibly, although a more likely scenario is the use of local specialty shops that we're familiar with. But one way or the other, we'd be able to have it installed properly in the local area for those that are interested.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by jimmygt Also what would be the charge for this install ? And whats the warranty on the turbo and install ?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Figure the install could run as high as $550, but odds are it could be far less. It will have to be determined by the shops where the install takes place. The main time consumers are the manifold and the oil pan.Warranty on the install is dependant on the individual shop, so they would need to be asked. As for the parts, many of the parts will have warranties on them, but the kit itself will probably not carry a universal warranty. On the other hand, the manifold is basically bulletproof, so I don't worry about that, so the only real possible failure would be the turbo, which has a warranty.quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by tlminh to add to this . . . do CA residents pay tax?can we put this on a lawaway plan or anything?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------California residents would have to pay taxes, and a layaway plan is unlikely. Just buy it when you're ready Heh, if you were trying to upgrade to 240 hp, you could probably just put a performance exhaust and be done with it If you were going to play inside the engine, then get some pistons and rods ($1600 parts/??? install), and you could pretty easily do 300-350 hp. However, that might not be a good idea. It has traction issues at 230 hp, so imagine 100 hp on top of that But at any rate, for optimal engine performance, if it were me, I'd drop down to 9.4:1 compression, and would put in billet rods. At 14 psi, it should be good for as much as 300 hp, which would be A LOT in this car. Bigger turbos that are in the same family include the K16, which is stock on the 993 Porsche, and the K24, which is the turbo on the Legacy I believe (I'd need to double check)....As for nitrous....let's wait a little bit on that
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

You know, I got tired of waiting for the wc turbo kit , The kit is no longer sponsored by West Covina Toyota,as I understand it,....Furthermore, David Draper is now carrying the ball for this project.....but..........I have not heard anymore intention for the Matrix/vibe application... I know this though,,,...Ther is a lot more room under the hood of a vibe, than a celica..when I was at Stafford Fabrications , they had a celica in there to prototype for a celica kit.....it has much less room to work with....That is why on my set up , that the turbo sits high and visible. and easily accesable...because it can....The celica could not afford this option because of the space....
Matrixgp

Post by Matrixgp »

finally feedback after so long! sadly, i think i may go with stafford fabs turbo kit considering they are already done and have several people out there with it. ill just run 5lbs of boost on it with my auto tranny until i have enuf cash to get a bulletproof one then away we go!
30yr_old_fogey

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Matrixgp)

Post by 30yr_old_fogey »

Stafford Fabs? Sorry, I haven't heard of them, or their turbo for the Vibe? Link or more info?
2003 VibeGT - AbyssNo Mods Yet
Matrixgp

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (30yr_old_fogey)

Post by Matrixgp »

THe guy is based in southern california, hes already done turbo kits on several vibes and matrix's. he has a post aroun here somewhere.
Smokin' Rubber

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Matrixgp)

Post by Smokin' Rubber »

Anyone know whether or not its safe to put anymore additional pressure from a turbo on a GT or XRS? Seems like with a compression ratio of 11.5:1 already its kind of asking for you engine to blow itself to pieces. So any input as to how to boost horsepower on a Vibe GT through a supercharger or turbo (preferably turbo) without completely screwing over the engine?
Faultline

Re: Turbo for the 1ZZ. (Smokin' Rubber)

Post by Faultline »

So far, from what I have seen, the boost levels for the 2zz motor have been low ...like you said, "the compression is high" not only that , but the bore is wider than the 1zz and the stroke is shorter...which as I understand makes detonation also easier...For the celica, tha Turbo Performance has a kit for the 2zz that runs at 5psi.for $3500.00....more recently XS enginerring has put out a kit that runs 7.5 psi for the 2zz in the celica..it runs $5000.00. It is way nice...and puts out over 250hp to the WHEELS.!On a note of interest to me is this co. called Alpine.. whose habit seem to be using those compression lowereing spacer type head gaskets...or whatever they are called...in their kits ..And seems to be a more cost effective way to lower the compression ,so that higher boost is possible safely...And finally,....Like I have stated before...Stafford Fabrications said that they would be happy to proto typpe a kit on the 2zz motor...
Smokin' Rubber

Post by Smokin' Rubber »

That would be really awesome but any word when it might actually be available to buy and install? And whether or not it would significatly stress the engine or change fuel econ?