2006 Vibe-- any difference??

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
6Stringer

2006 Vibe-- any difference??

Post by 6Stringer »

I've been doing my research for almost 5 months or so just trying to decide which car to get, and so this summer I've decided to pick up a Vibe base. Chances are high that I'm going to build my own brand new from Pontiac.The only thing I'm wondering is if the supercharger available from GM (listed as 2003-2004) will fit on the 06' model as well. I'll be honest and say that aside from what I can pick up on from reading threads, I have almost zero experience with car tuning. I'm just interested in it.So-- is the motor the same, and will the supercharger fit? Or would I be better off going with another kit? If so, which ones are reccommended?I'll definitely be having a good friend (or local shop-- or both) help me out with all of this, as well)
Mrizzle05

Re: 2006 Vibe-- any difference?? (6Stringer)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

Well hate to bring you the bad news...but the SC doesnt work with our 05-06 vibes...Its only for the 03-04's and i havent read of when they will have the kit for the 05-06 models.A custom turbo would work... muchos dinero!!!
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
6Stringer

Re: 2006 Vibe-- any difference?? (Mrizzle05)

Post by 6Stringer »

None of the "1zz" Superchargers will work? Like the blitz one that was talked about on the "Turbocharging the 2zz engine" forum?If I did go with a custom turbo, would I have any extra problems with the 1zz engine, as far as compression ratios and such?(one last question...)Are superchargers or turbos significantly better than either in any way? From what I can tell I'd rather have a supercharger because it's more of a bolt-on and would run better on just the stock parts..
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I think it was because of the drive by wire? Some of the 2005 vibes were not drive by wire and some were, so you could get lucky on a 05. but 06 is all drive by wire. so the only way to do forced induction would be a custom turbo.a supercharger will give power through out the power band, a turbo will have to spool up and give power at higher rpms (but also depends on turbo size). I think picking either or is more personal preference.
Mavrik

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

a turbo also gives the engine more of a power increase for the money. A S/C increases HP and torque to what a GT would have normally at LIFT. But a turbo takes a base Vibe to 200HP range easy.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
6Stringer

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by 6Stringer »

Alright. So how do I go about finding a local shop? Phone book? (lol)Just tell them that I want a custom turbo kit for my car, and they'll do the rest, without messing up the car? About how much money are we talking? $5000?Sorry that everything I type has a "?" after it, I am a newb by all definitions of the word. Thanks for the help, btw.
Mavrik

Re: (6Stringer)

Post by Mavrik »

Well you may want to look around in the phone book for performance shops if any are in the area. You'll have to feel them out. Perhaps do some research on the part you want ahead of time and just have them put it in. You may end up leaving the car in another city of no one nearby is able to install one. Thats one of my reasons for not installing one. I don't know how to, can't be without my car. Plus thats money out of my STi fund.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ya, depends on what you want to accomplish. s/c are great for the daily driver who just wants that oomph when he pushes down the pedal and continues that all the way up the powerband. it's more like a smoother acceleration. a turbo has to spool up first and then you get power. there's a little bit of a lag on the low end. however, once you hit WOT, it's a whole lot of fun!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Lancer

Re: (6Stringer)

Post by Lancer »

I would think that converting your throttle body to a cable wouldn't be that hard to do?If you have the money C-2 still makes a REALLY nice turbo kit for our cars for a little over $4k. And some people have taken their time and pieced together the parts they need for a turbo. Then gone to a muffler shop to get the intercooler piping done.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Katscan

Re: (Lancer)

Post by Katscan »

Now Ive heard some people saying that the Toyota Supercharger will work on the 05-06 Vibes but you have to get some sort of adapter plate. Am I correct or did I just missread some posts on this forum?