Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Celtic_Curse

Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe?

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I was wondering since I am picking up the TRD Supercharger, if I swap the entire Pontiac ECU for a Matrix ECU will my car still work? A new Toyota ECU is $300 and since the Supercharger will work with a manual and comes with it's own piggyback would this solution work?
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Faultline

Re: Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe? (Celtic_Curse)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »I was wondering since I am picking up the TRD Supercharger, if I swap the entire Pontiac ECU for a Matrix ECU will my car still work? A new Toyota ECU is $300 and since the Supercharger will work with a manual and comes with it's own piggyback would this solution work?I believe it should. Many times I have thought about getting the celica ecu to get a higher redline and more agressive timing map.I just have not done it. What exactly are you getting? It seems like the other guys have gotten the SC and the additional injector harness without buying the TRD piggyback, then they buy their own piggy back to tune. It seems like unichip, greddy emanage or Spitsecond could supply the piggyback part. If you are already are buying the TRD piggyback unit, then your solution sounds good. If you can save money by not buying the trd piggyback, and instead buy your own, then it would seem a waste to buy the matrix ecu.Remember, at this point you wont get the warranty coverage because you are not putting it on a Matrix.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
theangrydwarf1

Re: Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe? (Faultline)

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

If you replaced the ECU with one from a celica, what years should you look at, ie best power curve etc? This would be an interesting experiment. Thanks in advance.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks Faultline, as always full of answers. I don't want to have to go and get a Unichip to make the TRD Supercharger work with the Pontiac ECU sounds easier to just get the Matrix ECU. Its is cheaper to not buy the Piggy back ECU but since the Kits come with it why not use it.Cool idea about the Celica GT ECU though never thought of that.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Faultline

Re: Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe? (theangrydwarf1)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by theangrydwarf1 »If you replaced the ECU with one from a celica, what years should you look at, ie best power curve etc? This would be an interesting experiment. Thanks in advance. I believe the 2003+ celica is DBW, so it would be 2000-2002. In those years there is a difference, but I already forgot. I might be getting a little confused because the GT-S's redline changes dramaticly between the years, and its the 2zz version. The celica GT (1zz) goes up to 7k I believe all 3 years, but I would research it for sure. The celica motor is rated at 140hp, where ours is 130hp for the same motor. Many people have tried to dispute its reality, but my turbo kit installer has told my that the timing curves are more agressive with the celica ecu. My piggy back unit does not change the Vibes timing curves, only the fuel. If I used the celica ecu, I would be sure to pick up some power at any boost level. My only reluctance is that I believe that I am safer underboost with the vibe ECU. I also think that I can turn the boost higher with the Vibe timing curves. I dont know for sure. ?????????My turbo installer has suggested to me to get a celica GT ecu, that I might like it.....sooooo maybe I will. I especially like the 7k redline idea.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
theangrydwarf1

Re: Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe? (Faultline)

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »Many people have tried to dispute its reality, but my turbo kit installer has told my that the timing curves are more agressive with the celica ecu.Thanks for the info. This wouldn't suprise me. The celica is more of a sports car than the vibe or the matrix and there is no telling what GM has decided is "safe". I think I will do some research on this. hmmm.....
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
vibedrvr04

Re: Will the Toyota Matrix XR ECU work on the Vibe? (theangrydwarf1)

Post by vibedrvr04 »

Now ya got me thinking too...Celica GT ECU....with CAI and Exhaust...I'm just wondering if the more aggressive power curve will make a difference on the internals of the engine...I mean it's the same engine, but god only knows what GM did to the poor thing before they put it in our vibe. Don't mind my rambling...my brain has momentary lapses into ..... what was i saying?ANYWAY...if anyone else has some info on this swap...might be a good idea. Let's hear it people!
damronjr

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »I don't want to have to go and get a Unichip to make the TRD Supercharger work with the Pontiac ECU sounds easier to just get the Matrix ECU. Its is cheaper to not buy the Piggy back ECU but since the Kits come with it why not use it.Woah! The TRD S/C set-up will work as-is with the Pontiac ECU. EVERYTHING in our cars are re-stickered Toyota parts! And TBHWY, most of them aren't even re-stickered, they flat out say Toyota on them! Pontiac had to special order a MAF for me just b/c it is a Toyota part! Even the GM Performance Parts S/C has TRD forged right into the ECM. It just has a GM sticker on the back with a GM part #. You can get the complete TRD S/C kit and be just fine. No other piggy-back or ECU is needed.Sorry I'm so late on this!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
dug

Re: (damronjr)

Post by dug »

yep. What jason said:I'm running a TRD SC with the TRD piggyback. Its all the same stuff.
Lancer

Re: (dug)

Post by Lancer »

Hmm. I tried to make it work on mine while the Unichip was getting remapped. It didn't work for me.But you got me thinking that maybe I should try again before I need another remapping. (It sucks having the car down for a week just for something that takes < an hour to do.)
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

So the TRD piggyback works on the VIbe???
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »So the TRD piggyback works on the VIbe???It is the same part with a GM sticker, even the casing of the GM ECM has TRD pressed into it. If my car was here I would take a pic and show you!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks that saves me some money!!
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I can now confirm this too. I swapped ot the Unichip for the TRD ECU this past weekend and everything is working alright. A lot less power now though compaired to the Unichip. But it was still enough to beat a slightly modded Martix XRS pretty badly. I also did notice that my launches are stronger from the TRD set up. But mid and top end are a lot weaker. I swapped them out so I could send in the Unichip for another remapping. To make it not so rich on WOT, and to take into aount for the larger custom midpipe and high flow cat. Also to control my water/meth injection. Thanks guys for the great info!!! This saves me a huge headache of having to drive my wifes beater to work for the wek it takes for the turn-around.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header