Turbo? CAI? All Perf. Info Needed!

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
viberationz

Turbo? CAI? All Perf. Info Needed!

Post by viberationz »

Is there a Turbo available for the Vibe? And what CAI would you recomend, where to buy is another thing...I'm really laying off the ext. mod's this year and focusing on gaiing some HP...Any recomendations or advice will be greatly appreciated!
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
Mavrik

Re: Turbo? CAI? All Perf. Info Needed! (viberationz)

Post by Mavrik »

Turbo is available for the base Vibe engines only at this point. I don't know much about the turbo for the Vibe other then to say GM doesn't make one. You would need aftermarket. Now for a CAI, I recommend Injen or Cosmo.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
viberationz

Re: Turbo? CAI? All Perf. Info Needed! (Mavrik)

Post by viberationz »

Bummer... Only available for the Base model - that's not an option for me then... Is there anything else available for the Vibe as far as engine mod's go?
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

well there is exhaust systems, headers, CAI, unichip to increase torque... Some people have done some fuel or map management stuff.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
viberationz

Post by viberationz »

As far as the Eibach lowering springs go... Is that all I need??
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by viberationz »As far as the Eibach lowering springs go... Is that all I need??Yep, just swap the Eibach springs out with your stock springs and you're set!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Raven

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by viberationz »As far as the Eibach lowering springs go... Is that all I need?? If you are doing the springs, a Progress rear sway bar would be a good addition as well.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

You have a GT. There is a Turbo kit now available for the 2ZZ engine from Hass Turbo at http://www.turbokits.com. It is the same as the Matrix XRS Kit: http://www.turbokits.com/matrix_turbo_kits.htmlThere is also a 2ZZ kit from C2 Power in Europe: http://www.c2power.com/taxonomy/term/19
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
viberationz

Re: Turbo? CAI? All Perf. Info Needed! (BlueCrush)

Post by viberationz »

How much do the pro's usually charge to put a turbo in a small engine like this?I'm really interested but ofcourse something like this will more than likely void my warranty and I might just have to wait another 50K to install one - rather be safe than sorry. Might as well use up the warranty while I have it...How much do the CAI usually run - and are they a pretty simple set-up? Or would that have to be done by a professional as well?So far the only definite mod that I am going for is dual's... I don't even know if Magnaflow will do much for the Vibe...I know I sound clueless - that's b/c I am...I don't want to throw too much money into my Vibe just yet - I have had it for about a year and a half now... and it does get parked for the winter - So I still have the winter vehicle to focus on. Don't get me wrong I do love the Vibe - just not too sure which steps to take with it to get it where I want without spending a fortune.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

A turbo certainly would complicate things when it comes to warranty. It won't void the whole thing but any problems with any relation to the turbo would most likely not be covered. As for the CAI, depending on where you go buy one and the brand, it can run you anywhere from $100-$400 roughly. Its not to hard to install either. Does not require a professional. People here are more then helpful in giving you directions and there is even a photo step by step in here to. It should not void any warranty unless you sucked something up it (sitting up to your headlights in water... as an example)
viberationz

Post by viberationz »

I never really looked much into modifying my Vibe until I joined Gen Vibe - and even now I am having a tough time finding things that are available... I have seen on E-Bay a performance chip that claims +20HP... Any input on that? I've seen them go for as low as $0.99!! Something just seems fishy...
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

$800 unichips is where to go... costly yes but very very reliable. Not sure about a +20 HP gain though... I know mine adds torque but until I get it returned and installed with the CAI and exhaust combo then dyno tested, I'll never know.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ok, first off, we need to know what kind of vibe you have. then, what are you wanting to accomplish??there are several combinations and options depending on how much $$$ you want to spend or what you are hoping to see. if you have a base vibe, there will probably be a few more options available as far as engine mods go. turbo and superchargers are $$$$ and if you have an 05 or up then no go on the supercharger. if you want the most oomph for the money and are on somewhat of a budget then i recommend going with this (in this order too):1. cold air intake (injen, cosmo, aem, trd, whatever) $150-250 usd depending on brand. will add about 10-15 hp and a little bit more low end torque (a definite MUST HAVE for any vibe!)2. exhaust (magnaflow catback exhaust seems to be the best) $350 usd shipped from neverenufstuff.com. varies on hp gain... may even DECREASE hp from what i understand, but w/ a combo of cai and exhaust, it may add no more than 5 hp.3. unichip or some kind of engine management (i prefer the unichip as it's plug and play) $600-$800 usd. this is the most expensive of the 3 mods, but necessary to get your full gains from the various modifications. it can add anywhere from 5 hp down below to possibly even 20 hp up top. the torque is what it really does and if you do a search on unichip here, you'll find a lot of info. they do make turbo's as well for both the base and GT, but then you're talking a lot of $$$ for the turbo, install, and upkeep, nevermind that you pretty much kill your warranty. if you're wanting to race your car, then go with a turbo. if you just want more fun and enjoyment for everyday driving, then go with the 3 mods suggested above. and FYI, do not waste your money on those crappy ebay chips. if you are willing to buy one of those, then i have some property i can sell you for a really good price. good luck!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
viberationz

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by viberationz »

Now that was helpful! Damn I love this place!I'm not too sure about the magnaflow just yet... I am certain I will be doing duals tho! Yippy... can't wait!I went to the local dealer today and they showed me a supercharger that is available - only for the BASE model. (I've got an '03 GT). Talked to the head mechanic - said it's garbage for a small engine like this - only looking for problems... And he has been about the 10th person to say that. Haven't heard one good thing about them yet.Most of the mechanics don't think CAI will do much - but to hell with it - it's cheap and pretty so I will do it anyways...As far as the chip goes - I haven't heard any bad input just yet. I just wish there were some Canadian stores to order from - this conversion and shipping is gonna' kill me!
Mavrik

Re: (viberationz)

Post by Mavrik »

Calgary Alberta is were I got my Injen CAI from. They would have shipped it but I had a friend headed my way at the time who brought it along with her (free shipping)And since your canadian, I'll talk canadian $$$ with you. A good CAI is in the neighbourhood of $130-$400 canadian dollor. Check out the cosmo site as they have good prices. Their intakes come in a small selection of colours to if you were looking for a red, blue or polished theme.unichip.com would ship you a chip. I'm not to sure if there are tuner shops in your area and if they could order you one but I bet they would include their mark up.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

OK, so you have what i did. 03 GT. what i did:CAI first thing! and yes, it does a lot to these little engines! 14 hp on 180 hp stock for the price, it's not bad at all. i then added the unichip and wow! what a difference that made. i had a heck of a lot more low end torque, but because it made for smoother accelaration, when i hit lift (6300 rpms), it wasn't as noticeable. that was fine with me because i enjoyed the more oomph off the line. the downside was during the winter, i had a hard time in the snow and ice due to the added power. the winter i had most of the mods off, i had no problem getting around. however, last winter, i left them all on and didn't get too far. i do miss my VGT, and get really pissed every time i see the new owner with her cigarette butts hanging out the window!here's a link to my old cardomain site: TRDvibe
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
viberationz

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by viberationz »

Mavrik: The Unichip.com site didn't work - any other recomendations?TRD: I love your Vibe! And all the mod's! I was wondering myself about replacing struts etc. when lowering but everyone says all I need is the springs? Any place you would recomend me ordering from?I think I would like to go with the injen CAI - Thing is I am so computer illeterate I'm surprised I found this site and have managed to use the forums some-what! I have no idea where to look for these things... Or where is a safe place to order from with my credit card - Scared of scams.I was also wondering about a hood myself... I look at places but haven't found anything available for the Vibe other than from street graphitti... Everyone out there seems to have all these modifications and I can't even find out where to buy them from!
mcgusto82

Re: (viberationz)

Post by mcgusto82 »

Quote, originally posted by viberationz »Everyone out there seems to have all these modifications and I can't even find out where to buy them from!ebay is a good place to start looking.if you know exactly what you are looking for, also look under toyota matrix. most parts are identical.