TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Lancer

TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ?

Post by Lancer »

For those that installed a TRD S/C in a Vibe and used the Unichip to run it all, how did you hook up the servo wires that control the 5th injector?? I'm quessing that I'd have to splice into the 'turbo' connector on the Unichip harness? And do you have the switch on the side of the Unichip harness on to 'boost'?I was sorta expecting some instructions from Unichip. All I got was my Unichip ecu wrapped in bubble wrap in a Fedx envalope.Anyone that's done this, I really need your help! Everything else is installed. The car is running. I just need a brain for my monster to live!
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (Lancer)

Post by Lancer »

Finally got everything sorted out. I hope. So that everyone else knows, If your going to supercharge your Vibe with a TRD supercharger, and use the Unichip you NEED the 'turbo' mod for your Unichip PnP harness.If you call Unichip and talk to a woman, make sure you talk to a guy (not trying to be sexist). The Unichip chick doesn't know a damn thing. You almost have to know more then they do to get what you want.I love the Unichip and have nothing but praise for what it does for your engine. They just need a lot of work in the customer service department.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Thanks for the heads-up Lancer!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Finally got everything sorted out. I hope. So that everyone else knows, If your going to supercharge your Vibe with a TRD supercharger, and use the Unichip you NEED the 'turbo' mod for your Unichip PnP harness.I you call Unichip and talk to a woman, make sure you talk to a guy (not trying to be sexist). The Unichip chick doesn't know a damn thing. You almost have to know more then they do to get what you want.I love the Unichip and have nothing but praise for what it does for your engine. They just need a lot of work in the customer service department.hey, if you're going to work there, you should know what the hell you're talking about! lol. guy or gal, sounds like you had to deal with an idiot. glad you got it sorted out. and yes, the unichip is a great product, just a bit spendy. i checked to see how much for my LGT, and they want $900+!! no thanks, i'll be going with Cobb, especially since it's also plug-n-play and fully programmable.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (trdvibe)

Post by Lancer »

yeah, they want me to pay the diference of the n/a unit and the turbo unit. N/A-$750 - Turbo-$975 = $225+$42 for FedX express shipping when I paid $27 from USPS to get it there in 2 days. Like Bluecrush says, "You gotta pay to play". At least it's STILL cheaper then buying the kit from GM! GM's price for s/c kit $2900, I paid $1550.
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »yeah, they want me to pay the diference of the n/a unit and the turbo unit. N/A-$750 - Turbo-$975 = $225+$42 for FedX express shipping when I paid $27 from USPS to get it there in 2 days. Like Bluecrush says, "You gotta pay to play". At least it's STILL cheaper then buying the kit from GM! GM's price for s/c kit $2900, I paid $1550.I hope the unichip works well for you. That price for a programmer is getting up there, hopefully it will be somewhat easy to deal with. In the end, it seems you are better off than going the GM route. Now just watch out for your power addiction!!! ...motors have been known to grenade because of such problems!!
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe » i'll be going with Cobb, especially since it's also plug-n-play and fully programmable.My friend with his Cobb chip for his wrx just told he has his set on "Valet mode". It seems he just got another ticket. I asked him , "What is 'valet mode'?" . He says it is for when the valet gets in your car, It cuts off boost completely and the rpms only go to 4krpm, then the gas cuts off!!! ...sounds pretty smart to me!He also has a "fuel economy mode" that he is using to slow himself down, it also cuts boost off. ......I told him " good thing you got that Cobb for performance! (heh, heh) ...I believe he threw something at me ...Seriously, the Cobb is an amazing mod.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
AKLGT

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (Faultline)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »My friend with his Cobb chip for his wrx just told he has his set on "Valet mode". It seems he just got another ticket. I asked him , "What is 'valet mode'?" . He says it is for when the valet gets in your car, It cuts off boost completely and the rpms only go to 4krpm, then the gas cuts off!!! ...sounds pretty smart to me!He also has a "fuel economy mode" that he is using to slow himself down, it also cuts boost off. ......I told him " good thing you got that Cobb for performance! (heh, heh) ...I believe he threw something at me ...Seriously, the Cobb is an amazing mod. there's a guy on legacygt.com who has stage 2 and his maps set to economy getting 28 mpg! i am averaging about 20 mpg right now! and that's trying to drive as conservative as i possibly can! the cobb AP is amazing for what it can do.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Tuesday I finally got everything in the mail from Unichip and installed!! Even without any instructions! I did have to call Unichip tech help twice to ask if the wires were polarity sensative and to ask were they put the boost line for the turbo controller. Installation is very simple compared to the stock s/c ecu.Then after I started the car and let it run for 10 minutes I reved the engine a little. SSsccrreeeech! DAMN!! the belt was too loose! The boost gods must hate me. But I was able to get it replaced the next day after trying a couple different sizes. At first driving the newly boosted vibe was a little disappointing. There was a terrable lag when you first take off from a stop and I new my car was faster before adding the s/c. But I kept telling myself that the ECU is still learning, give it a couple days. Sure enough on Thursday everything came on line and I haven't stopped driving since!Now there's no lag when launching. And it just keeps on pulling up to redline. I love it!!I still recommend Unichip, it's still a great product. The company just needs to learn much better customer service skills. And ask more questions.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it up and running.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »I still recommend Unichip, it's still a great product. The company just needs to learn much better customer service skills. And ask more questions. I'm still considering switching to either the Unichip or the eManage, I just want to know that there is some real difference between that and the stock ECU before spending all that $$$!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
aji2002

Post by aji2002 »

hi lancer, congratulations for upgarding your vibe. hope you satisfied with the new power. I live in Malaysia and i can't get the trd s/c kit in my country because our dealer in malaysia only bring trd parts from japan only and as in know trd japan dont have s/c for vibe.my car is toyota voltz a new name for vibe base model exported to asian country but its right hand drive.can you help me get one trd s/c kit i will bank-in money into your account including courier charge. after my money confirm in your account you buy and send it to me.i dont mine if you need any extra charge for your job please info me.i really need the trd s/c after saw you installed in your car.i have my personal mechanic here that will install for me.until now i alredy download the installation manual for gm vibe s/c get from gm perfomrance parts.thanks for your help
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (aji2002)

Post by Lancer »

Have you tried getting the s/c from your toyota dealer for the Matrix, Corolla, Celica? Also the same car (on the inside).Keep watching on e-bay for one and see if they can ship it oversees. Otherwise I'll see what I can do for ya. I have in-law's in Thailand. No promises, though. And I'll need some Volts badges and the Toyota hatchcover just above the rear license.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

here is a link http://www.trdusa.com/tcsupercharger.asp to trd and the supercharger sure does look different.
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (scherry2)

Post by Lancer »

That's for the Scion Tc. I don't think it'll fit a Vibe cause the engine in the Tc is reversed. That's the exhaust heat shield in the front.You can always go custom turbo and have twice the power.
aji2002

Post by aji2002 »

Do you know any part dealer that i can buy online trd s/c for my voltz
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (aji2002)

Post by Lancer »

No, but you have to search under Vibe or Matrix, not Volts. You'll get better results.
foreyou

Post by foreyou »

where did you get your s/c for 1550 .. thats a good price
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (foreyou)

Post by Lancer »

E-Bay.comYes It was a good deal. But I think Bluecrush or someone got even a better deal.Last month I read in MO that there was a Stafford Fab. turbo kit on e-bay that went for ONLY $680!! I was pi$$ed when I read that. I would have gotten it if I'd known about it.
foreyou

Post by foreyou »

does any one know the guy with trd super charger ..theres store in cali
foreyou

Post by foreyou »

foreyou

Post by foreyou »

foreyou

Post by foreyou »

damronjr

Post by damronjr »

I got mine for $1300 on Ebay, full kit w/ everything. Just have to watch and wait.
dallarosaj

Post by dallarosaj »

Where are you all buying your unichip 900+ you all are getting ripped off. Never Enuf has the Unichip (#1020011) Matrix XR $519,Unichip (#1020015) Matrix XRS $519, Unichip (#1020021) TRD Supercharger $662 to me that is a lot less then what some of you all are paying for, Brad the owner will give you a good deal on the setup.
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (dallarosaj)

Post by Lancer »

I got my Unichip a couple years ago. Before Neverenough was available to us.
tcam

Post by tcam »

What about the camcon piggyback A/F computer. Isn't this pretty much the same as the unichip? and it's half as much. How come people aren't going for that?
BlueCrush

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (tcam)

Post by BlueCrush »

Camcon does not adjust ignition timing (called retard or advance), which is a must for F/I applications.Camcon also cannot control the 4 main injectors or the 5th injector that is needed to run the TRD S/C.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tcam

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (BlueCrush)

Post by tcam »

so, would it be worth the $ then to go with the unichip rather than the camcon? because if I'm right cmacon can only control the valve timing. but I don't know how much more power you could get by also being able to adjust the ignition timing and such(like the unichip does). the camcon is just so much cheaper.
tcam

Post by tcam »

so, would it be worth the $ then to go with the unichip rather than the camcon? because if I'm right cmacon can only control the valve timing. but I don't know how much more power you could get by also being able to adjust the ignition timing and such(like the unichip does). the camcon is just so much cheaper.
tcam

Post by tcam »

tcam

Post by tcam »

BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

For a 1ZZ application:If you plan on using the TRD Supercharger, then get the Unichip. If you plan on staying N/A get the Camcon (VVT-i cam settings and A/F ratio)Edit: Wait a minute you have a GT! Why are you asking about the Unichip in this thread about the TRD Supercharger w/Unichip when it doesn't apply to your application? Maybe you should do some more seaches here on GenVibe and post in the appropriate thread or post a new one specific to your application. Not trying to be an a$$, I was just confused by you posting your question here.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tcam

Post by tcam »

I was just curious about the chips in general. I guess it was kinda off the topic. my bad
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tcam

Post by tcam »

thanks, that helps explain things
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

Hi Lancer,Where did you send you Unichip to be re-mapped for the CS? I need to do the same with mine...Thanks in advance,Divenut
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
Lancer

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (DiveNut)

Post by Lancer »

What's a "CS"?I sent my chip back to Unichip in Oregon. But I've heard that they don't do that anymore. You have to find a 'certified' Unichip tuner to remap it for you. You'll have to e-mail or call them to find out.http://www.unichip.us/Contact_Us.asp
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

Hi Lancer,I just got my Base Unichip modified for FI application too. Jack Jones at Unichip was outstanding to work with and sent me the required wiring, Turbo module etc. The install looks straight forward, with the exception of the wiring of two plugs, i.e. the Pop Off Valve and the 5th injector. The loom has 2 sets of wires, 1 set has two red wires the other set has 1 red and 1 brown (ground?) wire. I am guessing to two red wires go to the Pop-Off and the red/brown go to the 5th Injector??That sound right?Also, what was the info you received on the polarity? Does it matter which side of the two plugs the wires are inserted into? Would call Jack but I just received it last night, was hoping to get it installed this weekend. Remembered your posts so thought I'd reach out to you this morning. Worse case I'll call him on Monday.Thanks in advance. Divenut
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

kevera

Post by kevera »

How much did it end up costing you for this.And did they just send you the goodies for you to wire up.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
DiveNut

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (kevera)

Post by DiveNut »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »How much did it end up costing you for this.And did they just send you the goodies for you to wire up.I sent in my entire kit Kevera. They modified the harness, provided the extra wiring loom, Turbo module etc. Also, remapped the chip for my CAI, 2.3" pulley and 93 Octane fuel. $200.These folks provided some of the best customer service I have experienced in a long time. I do not know a whole lot about ECU's/Computer tuning etc (I'm an Old Fart, cars still had distributer caps and points when I built my last car LOL), and the Unichip folks were extremely patient when answering all my questions, I had a lot of em! They also provided me with updates throughout, always responded to my emails within 24 hours.

kevera

Post by kevera »

You're lucky,or maybe because you are from the states,but they would not let me send it to them.Jack told me that unichip doesn't do that anymore,and that I would have to bring it to a tuner for the upgrade.Glad it worked out for ya.I must be old too,because I still have a car with points,distributor cap and wires,we are a dieing breed.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
DiveNut

Re: TRD Supercharger/Unichip install ? (kevera)

Post by DiveNut »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »You're lucky,or maybe because you are from the states,but they would not let me send it to them.Jack told me that unichip doesn't do that anymore,and that I would have to bring it to a tuner for the upgrade.Glad it worked out for ya.I must be old too,because I still have a car with points,distributor cap and wires,we are a dieing breed.Ya, I think I lucked out. Jack definitely went above and beyond what I had expected. And I really appreciated all his help...think he sensed I was pretty much clueless with regards to chips and such! "dieing breed" Yep, we used to gap our points with match book covers. Now that's hi-tech brother. What's your other ride?