GM supercharger with intercooler?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
Faultline

GM supercharger with intercooler?

Post by Faultline »

After seein pics of Blitz supercharger, It would seem feasable , and desirable , to put an intercooler on the gm super charger. for the 1zz that is. From what ive read, roots stlyle superchargers are around 50% eficient where as a centrifugal turbo is around 70% efficient. less eficiency = more heat. The gm charger is going to boost over 7psi and with aout an intercooler. so This gives me confidence in thiking that a turbo with an itercooler will be able to boost more psi safely? Also it would seem desirable to intercool the charger to get more power,and aavoid detonation if you figre out how to boost the charger even more. I read all the Pulley size ideas ..guess we will see. what do you think ??good vibrations Faultline
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
NovaResource

Re: GM supercharger with intercooler? (fault line)

Post by NovaResource »

You can't really intercool a roots-style supercharger because it bolts to the cylinder head and there is no place to put an intercooler (there are a few exceptions but not for the Vibe). Also, efficiency doesn't always mean more heat. It just means it doesn't create as much pressure. Third, stock internals may not handle more pressure so a more efficient supercharger doesn't mean more power since you will probably have to bleed-off some of the boost.
Faultline

Re: GM supercharger with intercooler? (NovaResource)

Post by Faultline »

It was hard to see from the pics, what style charger the blitz kit has for the 2zz,which is intercooled.I have been reading a book by Hugh Macinnes called "Turbochargers" so that i can bone up on this topic, as I plan to force induct my vibe page 7 "The roots-type lobe compressor also has the disadvatage of inherently low efficiency-below 50%. Low efficiency causes excessive charge heating and therefore higher thermal stress on the engine." I think that lower effeciency means that the air leaving the charger is hotter as it heads to the intake , not that the boost is diminished-no?But if you could cool the air?... you could afford more boost... right?less risk of detonation. What about water injection.Also someone said that the electronics could afford the extra boost on the gm super charger , but maybe not the motor , and the motor for sure could handle 200 at the crank, but that they didnt test it with the kit that is comming out. this is on a thread some whaere but i forget where. it was a gm spokes personGood vibrations faultline
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Water injection will be the way I'm going. It's cheap and it's very effective. This is the kit I'll porbably end up going with. It'll really help once I increase the supercharger PSI.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=328&postid=6001
Faultline

Re: GM supercharger with intercooler? (Admin II)

Post by Faultline »

In regard to water injection, I have wondered if any evaporative cooling has been experimented with for the intake air?out here in the desert, half of us cool our houses this way.Its much cheaper than a/c ,but does not work in humid climates,and works very well in dry climates. When the temp is 100 oust side , it will cool the house down to 80.they work real simply, water runs thru 1 inch thick pads that usually cover the surface of a 3'by 3' box, in which inthe middle of the box, is a big squirrel fan that forces air into the house.(my house is turbo charged) , The air drawned thru the watered pads ,evaporates the water and cools the air that is forced into your house. You have to leave yur windows open to draw the air to all areas of your home. May be it would not be enough cooling for your air intake on your car, but who knows? on a house, the water pan has a float valve to keep an ample supply of h2o which evaporates at a great rategood vibrationfaultline
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

The same company I linked to above has a water injection kit for normally asperated engines. With this kit you could run low octane gas on a high er compression engine without knocking or a degrade in engine performance. Your gas mileage should also increase.