Simple electric fan for supercharger - would it actually work?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
whitfiel

Simple electric fan for supercharger - would it actually work?

Post by whitfiel »

I'm a newbie to performance enhancements like forced induction - I'd just like to eek out a little more power out of my 1zz engine in my 2003 Vibe. While catching my breath over the price of the Vibe supercharger, I stumbled across this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...74368I would imagine that "you get what you pay for". Would a $20 electric squirrel cage fan actually work???Best regards,Art
Arthttp://WindWorksDesign.com
BlueCrush

Re: Simple electric fan for supercharger - would it actually work? (whitfiel)

Post by BlueCrush »

It would work about as well as connecting a hose to your intake routing it thru the firewall, under the dash, under the drivers seat, up the back of the drivers seat, around the headrest to your mouth and blowing into it while driving. (Ha, Ha, that was kind of funny!)Umm...no it doesn't work!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Save your money and buy some gas lol. They do not work at all.BTW Bluecrush that was funny!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

You know it's crap when they tell you it "does not rob your engine of horsepower, the SuperCharger is powered by your 12volt that your alternator is already making."As the electrical load on the alternator increases, it gets harder to turn, and thus puts more mechanical load on the engine. In other words, it uses more engine power.I saw a deal on bulk CPU fans the other day- I need to start selling "superchargers" on Ebay for $125 a pop...
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
whitfiel

Re: Simple electric fan for supercharger - would it actually work? (BlueCrush)

Post by whitfiel »

Loved the description. LOL.Ok, makes sense. So can someone teach me about CAI (cold air injection)? Looking at the TRD site, they claim an 11HP improvement with their CAI kit. 11HP for a smooth intake pipe and cone shaped air filter? While I'm inclined to believe TRD and everyone else in the GenVibe forum that has CAI, would this work in sub-zero winter air, especially starting my car after it sits in the snowy parking lots here in Rochester, NY? Or are performance upgrades like CAI meant for more temperate climates and more serious car enthuasists? Thanks,Art
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

you want more HP without the supercharger?? ok, i'll tell you the best sureway to get the most of cold air intake. garrantied results. you can send me the money order in the mail.1. bust out your driver's side headlight2. get some plubming tubes.3. get rid of the air filter4. place the tubes as if to entend the intake to the where the headlight used to be.5. (optional) placde a couple of napkins at the open end of the tubes to function as filters. lolelectric SC can work. just ask a GE jet engine engeneer. non out that i know do work. it would take alot more than 12 v to spin a fan enough to create the required preassure. there are actually some articles on the 42 v systems and what they will do for vehicles in the near future. p.s. don't atuially bust out your headlight neither.
Mr. Poopypants

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

The CAI does add HP, as far as 11HP, I don't know. But the reason it works is 2 fold.1. Colder air expands more when heated, if colder air is brought into the cylinder, when combustion occurs, the cold air expands more than hot air.2. Look at the stock intake. There is a very narrow, ribbed hose that leads to a restrictive filter, it's like you trying to breath through a straw. The CAI has a less restrictive oiled filter and a larger diameter smooth pipe. This allows better air flow into the engine.Not to mention the fact that it sounds badass!!!Hope that helps.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by whitfiel »Loved the description. LOL.Ok, makes sense. So can someone teach me about CAI (cold air injection)? Looking at the TRD site, they claim an 11HP improvement with their CAI kit. 11HP for a smooth intake pipe and cone shaped air filter? While I'm inclined to believe TRD and everyone else in the GenVibe forum that has CAI, would this work in sub-zero winter air, especially starting my car after it sits in the snowy parking lots here in Rochester, NY? Cold Air Intake. I've been running my Injen CAI since i got my 03 years ago and I've never had a problem in the winter in Indiana. Or are performance upgrades like CAI meant for more temperate climates and more serious car enthuasists? Thanks,Art
whitfiel

Re: Simple electric fan for supercharger - would it actually work? (Mr. Poopypants)

Post by whitfiel »

Thanks for the excellent description of how cold air intake works. I get it, and it sounds great two follow-up questions please:a) would I expect any problems starting or running my car in below zero winter weather if I install CAI?b) I prefer to listen to my car stereo at moderate volume, so how loud can I expect "badass" to be? Can I run a sound volume experiment in my garage where I temporarily remove the existing box inlet air filter and run the engine for 30sec max, or does that still risk garbage getting into the intake?Thanks again for the education!Best,Art
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

that is a good way for a sort of "preview" of the sound. its not an overpowering noise, your radio should drown it out pretty easily, especially if you have your windows up.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"