ATR Turbo Kit Dyno Results! (The day we've all been waiting for!)

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
hippyvibe

ATR Turbo Kit Dyno Results! (The day we've all been waiting for!)

Post by hippyvibe »

The day many of us have been waiting for over at MO.com has arrived. ATR have completed their first 2ZZ turbo kit!!! REJOICE! I haven't seen much mention of it AT ALL over here at GVC, so I thought I'd clue you all in. I can't believe the potential of my Vibe GT now!Woops, forgot the all important linkage! http://matrixowners.com/forums...4&hl=
2003 Mono Abyss GTMoon and Tunes, 17 " Sport Max 929, Eibach Pro SpringsDunlop 215 50/RZ17 tires oem, SoundStream Rubicon 1000w, two CF1044 10" subs, GM Top Rear Spoiler, AEM Short Ram intake Blue, Progress Rear Anti Roll bar, Flowmaster Delta Flow 60 Series, Denzo IK 20 5304 plugs, TRD STB Front, Brass Bushings
drunkenmaxx

Re: ATR Turbo Kit Dyno Results! (hippyvibe)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

damn, i expected way better gains. of course, that is only at 6psi. hmm, i dunno. if i remember right, wasn't stafford doing one that produced like 300hp?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
BlueCrush

Re: ATR Turbo Kit Dyno Results! (hippyvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

241 HP / 218 ft.lbs TORQUE at 6PSI. Thats awesome for the price of the kit! Ok, all you GT owners, time to get in line for boost.We still need a 1zz donor car so they can have a kit for us too.Anyone live nearby Fairplay, SC that would be willing to let themuse your var. You would probably get a nice discount off an alreadygreat pice.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

You guys simply don't give a toss about the ATR turbo kit, do you? =-(
2003 Mono Abyss GTMoon and Tunes, 17 " Sport Max 929, Eibach Pro SpringsDunlop 215 50/RZ17 tires oem, SoundStream Rubicon 1000w, two CF1044 10" subs, GM Top Rear Spoiler, AEM Short Ram intake Blue, Progress Rear Anti Roll bar, Flowmaster Delta Flow 60 Series, Denzo IK 20 5304 plugs, TRD STB Front, Brass Bushings
BlueCrush

Re: (hippyvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

You only posted this an hour ago. Give people a chance to read it. A lot of people are waiting in line at the gas pumps before the price hits $5/gal. (ha, ha)
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

Don't kid like that about gas prices! *sheds a tear*Can you imagine what people with big V8s are feeling like?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

interesting. wonder what kind of gains it would be at say... 14 psi? 6 seems low, but i imagine it has something to do with the high compression ratio the 2zz already has (which has been the biggest obstacle for F/I in the first place).
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Yeah, they are feeling that they wished they got the Vibe instead of that H3. I'm soo glad I have a car that gets great gas mileage.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »interesting. wonder what kind of gains it would be at say... 14 psi? 6 seems low, but i imagine it has something to do with the high compression ratio the 2zz already has (which has been the biggest obstacle for F/I in the first place).ATR says that they didn't want to go any higher on the stock internals.Even though Turbomatrix is running his at 10 PSI on his 2ZZ with stock internals and he is getting close to 300HP I believe. But I wouldn't run 10 as a daily driver I would stay below 7 psi also, then turn it up at the track only.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

lol. well, as much as i liked my vibe gt, i still like the LGT better. it's just a different kind of car, different class and can't be compared really. and having stock 250 hp/tq with awd? now that's been killer. plus, by spring, i'm hoping to take it to stage 1 so i'll be over 300 hp/tq no prob.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Stop teasing!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

sorry. i was gonna say i know a few have successfully installed the s/c on an awd, but you have an 05 and doubt it would work since they did something internally to make it not fit.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Actually, the GM S/C will work on mine as I still have a cable throttle. In fact, it is still sitting in my office in a box. I am waiting to get more mods done before installing it. the way it is looking now I will probably wait until next spring to install it while I finish my other upgrades over the winter.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ah, good deal then. that's the way they should have made the awd vibes in the first place! 176-180 hp awd!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Puckman27

Post by Puckman27 »

i need to win the lotto! :-( :-D
2k3 Vibe GTAbyss/GraphiteTinted WindowsKenwood Head UnitRF Punch P1625 Components http://members.cardomain.com/puckman27
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »ah, good deal then. that's the way they should have made the awd vibes in the first place! 176-180 hp awd! Exactly! I agree.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

Just thought I'd point this out, which makes it all the better: IT'S 241 HP TO THE WHEELS! PUMPING 279.9HP AT THE CRANK!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »You guys simply don't give a toss about the ATR turbo kit, do you? =-(I have a base 1ZZ, so yeah, I don't give a toss about it. Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »Just thought I'd point this out, which makes it all the better: IT'S 241 HP TO THE WHEELS! PUMPING 279.9HP AT THE CRANK!Does the turbo setup come with a better clutch kit? If not, a smart financial person would start investing in companies that make GT/XRS clutches because that kind of power is going to destroy the glass 2ZZ clutches it increases a 2zz from 170 HP to 241, that's a 40% increase. Let me know if they can come up with something that will increase my 36 mpg by 40% without costing too much power
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

Oh the ignorance!ATR say the same exact kit should work on the 1ZZ, though they haven't found a doner yet so they don't know for sure. ATR and their turbo are a great thing for all Vibe/Matrix kind!Maybe you should look into a Prius?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »Oh the ignorance!ATR say the same exact kit should work on th 1ZZ, though they haven't found a doner yet so they don't know for sure. ATR and their turbo are a great thing for all Vibe/Matrix kind!Maybe you should look into a Prius? i don't want a prius, the new ones look like mini-azteks.what kind of hippy are you anyway, power instead of ecology? What is the world coming to when honest hippies are corrupted by the media marketing cartel into wanting fuel sucking cars (Just having some fun with your username.) 2zz owners have been wanting boost for a long time, and as a Vibe owner, you know there are few performance increasing options available. Thanks for spreading the word over here. Are you getting one?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »Just thought I'd point this out, which makes it all the better: IT'S 241 HP TO THE WHEELS! PUMPING 279.9HP AT THE CRANK!not bad at all. but i prefer my factory covered turbo awd still. the uppipe alone is said to give about 15 whp. if i could afford an AP to go stage 1, even better!i wouldn't trust the 2zz to be issue free with a kit like that on stock internals. and good point, joat! that clutch can barely handle the stock power much less 40% more! lol. if your warranty's up and the car's all paid for, you got that kinda money then go for it! would be a great car to take to the track and kick some honda (removed)! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

I will be getting one as soon as is possible, which will probably be in the next 4 months or so... Everyone (or at least I hope) over on MO understands that if you want the turbo, you're going to need a clutch. RioTrix (the owner of the dyno in question) had an ACT heavy clutch (I believe?) installed with the turbo. As far as mileage; I've heard 6lbs of boost shouldn't hurt it that bad, but if that's not true please let me know. Although I'm disappointed I'll be waiting at least 4 months for this turbo, it'll be nice to see how things go with others until then.PS. Did someone remove my sig and not tell me about it?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

What's the cost of the kit?The boost shouldn't hurt the mpg too bad, not nearly as much as the 50 pounds it will add to your right foot
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

This ATR kit is going for $3000It was going to be $2500, as with their Celica GT-S kit, but they dropped that idea and put together a completely new kit for the Matrix/Vibe (including a FMIC and larger turbo, among other things).
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »I will be getting one as soon as is possible, which will probably be in the next 4 months or so... Everyone (or at least I hope) over on MO understands that if you want the turbo, you're going to need a clutch. RioTrix (the owner of the dyno in question) had an ACT heavy clutch (I believe?) installed with the turbo. As far as mileage; I've heard 6lbs of boost shouldn't hurt it that bad, but if that's not true please let me know. Although I'm disappointed I'll be waiting at least 4 months for this turbo, it'll be nice to see how things go with others until then.PS. Did someone remove my sig and not tell me about it?ha ha! exactly, if someone else's 2zz blows up then you know not to do whatever they did! $3K isn't too bad of a price. i would have considered it if i still had the VGT, but realistically, I'd not have done it because i wouldn't have been able to justify it. already had problems in winter up here w/ the mods i had on the car, much less even more! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »lol. well, as much as i liked my vibe gt, i still like the LGT better. it's just a different kind of car, different class and can't be compared really. and having stock 250 hp/tq with awd? you should put that in your sig!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by hippyvibe »This ATR kit is going for $3000It was going to be $2500, as with their Celica GT-S kit, but they dropped that idea and put together a completely new kit for the Matrix/Vibe (including a FMIC and larger turbo, among other things).I am guessing that they are using the bigger turbo and FMIC because there is more space in the Vibe/Matrix engine bay????I know that for the SF celica kits, both 1zz and 2zz , you had to remove the axle just to get the turbo in, and there was a lot more cutting around the the front bumper to fit the FMIC. In my car, the turbo is in sight at the top of the engine bay, because there is room for it. The celica is down low out of sight. Fyi. The internals in the 2zz are stronger than the 1zz. especially the rods, they are very beefy. The problem with boosting high on the 2zz is the CR (compression ratio) being 11.5:1. Predentonation is very probable as the boost goes up. The highest I have heard on a stock 2zz is 11psi. The IC was big, and the timing was very retarded. I believe that the power was close to 280whp. This same guy put in lower compressiong piston only, and was able to boost up to 14-17psi. -same rods-... the 2zz is a great motor. Someone said that the 240whp was at 7psi in reality...it doesnt really matter as the gains are respectable. The 210 tq tells me that it is tuned on the rich sides, as that is higher torque than some of the other boosted 2zz's i have seen. A richer mixture may often lower the hp, but bumps the torque up. What is nice about boosting the 2zz is that the torque #'s are fairly low. This means that the tranny can handle it. Both trannys for the 1zz and 2zz give out around 250ft#'s of torque. (depending on how it is driven). Torque is what breaks trannys , not HP. You can get more HP out of the 2zz without worrying about too much torque, than you can out of the 1zz.If I get 250whp out of my car, which is at about 12psi the way my car is tuned, then the torque is up to 235. Something like that. The guy who had is 2zz up to 280hp, was only putting dow 200ft#'s of torque. Do you see what I am getting at??I rode in a boosted Vibe gt at 5 psi. It was very different than my car, as my car felt torqy-er. The power deliver was very smooth in the GT, and when the car went in to lift, though less defined, the car was in warp speed The roomier engine bay for Vibe/Matixes, make turboing much more plausible, I hope that Hippyvibe gets it done, He wont regret it!

Attached files
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

have they gotten a donor to turbo a 1zz yet??
hippyvibe

Post by hippyvibe »

Here are some pix of the install. Personally, I'm rather impressed with how clean it looks, almost doesn't look like there's a turbo in there!http://matrixowners.com/forums...39188
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

let us know if/when you get yours turbo'd. how much and what all it entailed. would be curious to know.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »not bad at all. but i prefer my factory covered turbo awd still.What fun is that???Throw caution to the wind!!! I believe I see a VF 22 (Giant Subaru turbo) in your future!!! ...and 350z's in your rearview mirror
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail