First Problem With Supercharger

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
tbm34

First Problem With Supercharger

Post by tbm34 »

After a little over 18,000 miles I had my first SC problem. A heard some rattling coming from the main drive (serpentine) belt and could actually see the belt catching and jumping a bit. A thought that it had become misaligned, but actually the bearings on the idler pulley had prematurely worn. This comes with the SC and is used to adjust the tension of the belt as it winds through the system. It wasn’t a big set-back, only $85, but a bit disappointing for it to wear so early. I suppose stuff like this should be expected when you start messing with stock set-ups. I have not posted for a while, but as a reminder I’m running the TRD SC with the Unichip. This saved quite a bit of money by having to pay for the piggy-back ECU, and at the time I did it GM had still not released their version of the SC. Otherwise, it has been running like a champ, and I still get a kick out of driving it every day.
Base Shadow monotone 5-spd, Moons & Tunes, Power Package & ABS. Alloy wheels, Progress RSB, Silverstars. TRD supercharger w/ custom tuned Unichip, and magnaflow true cat-back exhaust.
bud_one

Re: First Problem With Supercharger (tbm34)

Post by bud_one »

problems or not...I still wish I could get a supercharger....Night and day difference in performance??
SoCalVibe

Post by SoCalVibe »

thanks for the update! where did you accuire the idler pulley? also, have you done any dyno pulls w/ a/f ratio? was curious how the a/f mix is with the unichip setup.-mark
04 AT 1zz Vibe Satellite,GM Sport Package,18" RSS Wheels,Eibach drop,GM SC,Magnaflow catback,EL Prototypes header,Snow Perf WI,Cust A-pillar podhttp://www.ephotohut.net/viewp...1.jpghttp://w ... /socalvibe
Faultline

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by tbm34 »After a little over 18,000 miles I had my first SC problem. A heard some rattling coming from the main drive (serpentine) belt and could actually see the belt catching and jumping a bit. A thought that it had become misaligned, but actually the bearings on the idler pulley had prematurely worn. This comes with the SC and is used to adjust the tension of the belt as it winds through the system. It wasn’t a big set-back, only $85, but a bit disappointing for it to wear so early. I suppose stuff like this should be expected when you start messing with stock set-ups. I have not posted for a while, but as a reminder I’m running the TRD SC with the Unichip. This saved quite a bit of money by having to pay for the piggy-back ECU, and at the time I did it GM had still not released their version of the SC. Otherwise, it has been running like a champ, and I still get a kick out of driving it every day.If it makes you feel anybetter, I paid over 100.00 for an idlerpulley for my diesel truck a couple of weeks ago ...Ther're not even made of gold or anything! I remember you. I always thought that if I did not go turbo , I would have done something like you. If i remember right, you got the SC and the fifth injector stuff for around...1700.00, and then you had to pay for the unichip stuff for a few hundred...or something....very smart...plus you got a better tune than the TRD one or SPO one Boost is a great thing, and I am glad to hear another Vibe owner enjoying it, there are just a few of us it seems. It really changes how you view the car...it changes everything, puts the car in a different league
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail