Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
d_m_kolb

Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI

Post by d_m_kolb »

As everyone is probably thinking I go back and forth on what type of forced induction I plan I doing in the future. West Covina seems like they might have a good set up when their kit is complete, but they continue to blow me and the website off. So I'm having a change of heart when it comes to turbo changing.I'm interested in replacing the stock pulley that will be used on the GM supercharger with one that will increase the stock output of the GM supercharger. I have seen that the stock SC will be running around 7 1/2 PSI. I'd like to run around 10 PSI. I want over 220 HP at the wheels. So in order to do this, does anyone know who if anyone makes a pulley that can be swaped out with the factory pulley. Also this would work for warrenty work since with in 5 to 10 minutes the stock pulley could be reinstalled before taking the vehicle in to the dealer. Anyone concerned that the piggy back computer GM will install with there SC can handle the extra boost of replacing the pulley. andrewmva probably knows the limits of a stock internal 1ZZ the best so what can the 1ZZ handle SC wise when it comes to PSI. Any and all replys are very welcome, because I'm not even sure where to start looking to get the pulley.
andrewmva

Re: Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI (Admin II)

Post by andrewmva »

I can get you the pulley.... OR talk to shawn at UR(unorthodox racing) he should be able to help... the main problem will be controling fuel and timing... I'm not sure if the GM computer will do the trick..... If the somputer is not up to the task I would suuest a MSD digital ignition and a SAFC for the fuel... it is a set-up that you would have to play with though... I'm just guessing... I have done that with countless JR chargers.... plan on getting a, fuel pump, EGT gauge, clutch...... and when you first drive it have it tuned very well.... get a NICE AF meter and hit the dyno.....seeing that no one has really done this yet you can expect to spend some time and tears to get it just right.... Water injection is a good investment as well, look over JR's site and you should be able to find good info there. some of this may sound like overkill.... but I like to run safe... ----Don't start buying stuff untill you put on the pulley and see what happens first though.... who knows GM unit may do the trick... -but the gauge, FP and clutch are going to be a must.
d_m_kolb

Re: Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI (andrewmva)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Well when this happens I'll be in touch. I e-mailed eaton since they make the Sc and waiting on a reply to see if the piggy back computer can adjust for the extra PSI. I would think it would be able to handle 2 1/2 more PSI than it all ready is doing in the first place.I'm curious to know if I'll even have to replace the stock fuel pump. GM and Toyota aren't replacing it just adding the 5th fuel injector. I guess I'll have to wait and see.As for a clutch I wont need one because this will be done on a auto. Wife needs to drive this vehicle sometimes too. So how much can a stock 1ZZ handle in terms of PSI? Is ten pushing it? Any idea what kind of HP the engine would be making at around 10 PSI? As for water injection this is a good idea but isn't GM installing a intercooler? Thanks for the reply.
andrewmva

Post by andrewmva »

I'm not sure about power... 2 1/2 lbs boost is not that much.... I would imagine that the unit that comes with the charger will be able to handle the increase in boost I will have to get my hands on one 10lbs should be OK..... Boost does not kill the engine... Bad tuning does... 5lbs will blow your engine if it is not tuned properly. most of the parts that I mentioned above are tuning tools.... I would deff get a FP
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:So how much can a stock 1ZZ handle in terms of PSI? And also importantly, what will happent to the "slush-box". Will I need to re-enforce it to keep the extra power from messing the auto tranny up? Torque converter or something more drastic.P.S. My wife drives my car too, else I would have bought stick.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
d_m_kolb

Re: Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI (Flip-Side)

Post by d_m_kolb »

All I'm going to do at first is run a trany cooler with a temp sensor that kicks the trany coolers fan on and off to keep the trany at a cool temp and do a complete trany fluid change to Amsoil synthetic.In the future I'd like to have Level Ten redo the stock torque converter so I can get my launch RPMs up. This will be a future mod and not right away. I have read a at a few different places the auto can handle 260 HP and still have a long life. Over this point it is hit or miss. I wont have a Vibe until the 2004 model comes out and then I'll order it so it'll be even longer. Hopefully someone will have all ready done this so I can go off of what they have done.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I have put 2 e-mails into GM asking some of these questions. The 2 contacts I have all ways reply back so now I'll just wait. I will post any replys I get from them about the SC questions here.
andrewmva

Post by andrewmva »

Amsoil and the tranny cooler are excellent ideas.... and well planned mods.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I received a reply I sent to Eaton about their supercharger. I e-mailed them asking what there thoughts were on this and all I got was a bunch of crap from them. Here's the e-mail I sent them.quote:I know you are the company that has made the supercharger for the Pontiac Vibe (GM SPO) and Toyota Matrix (TRD). I have been told and also read that the stock PSI setting will be at 7 1/2. I'm interested in raising this to 10 PSI. I realize doing so will void the factory warranty but I'm not concerned with that. Will you or do you make a pulley that can be swapped out for the stock pulley there for raising the the output of the superchargers PSI? I'm sure you have something so it's probably more of will you sell it?My next question is since I know this can be done, will the piggy back computer that comes with the supercharger adjust to a higher PSI?Thank you for your time and for making forced induction for these vehicles! I'm looking forward to your reply.Here's the jerk of a reply I got back.quote:Your sure know allot!!! Ha ! Ha ! Have you had any experience with this unit so far?? You should try the production unit and see what you think. To answer your question about adding more boost...Why? You have not seen this system in Action.The pulley is so small as it is. There would not be enough pulley wrap. There are other things to increase horse power besides pulley changes on this system.....Throttle body, Mass air Assy. ect....ect..... Have you tried contacting Toyota direct ?? They might have more Information for you......As a rule. This system is provided to you and all calls are directed back to the Manufacture......(Toyota and GM.) We Appreciate your support in Magnuson Products. Kevin S. Gunn(805)-642-8833 Ext.224kgunn@magnacharger.comIs it me or was this guy a jerk? Oh well. I got a much nicer reply back from GM. The person I go through at GM is checking into so she can give me the best answer. When I get a answer I'll post that info here also.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

quote:Is it me or was this guy a jerk? Yes pretty rude smart ***. He must know that the systems haven't been delivered yet. If not he is a dumb ***.
[Modified by Frosty, 1:32 PM 12/2/2002]
Frosty 5 speed Vibe Power & Safety Packages. Naturally Aspirated my gallery
andrewmva

Re: Replace pulley on GM supercharger increase PSI (Frosty)

Post by andrewmva »

He is being an ***..... -BUT he is right.... focus the questions at GM or toyota.... they will have better customer service, and more info. Generally companies(manufactures) will not respond well to performance questions if they are stock components.... it is better to find an aftermarket tuner.... lol... ME... and ask questions.... I would not expect any type of upgrade kit for a while... First people need to get the base kit installed...then there will have to be some R&D on what the kits limits are..
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I received a e-mail from the Gerneral manager of Magnuson Products cocerning the crapping e-mail reply I got. He also answer some of my questions reguarding the supercharger.quote:Derek, I apologize for the nature of the reply you received on your earlier e-mail to our company. I am certain that Kevin Gunn did not intend to insult you in any way. I have spoken with him and he told me that he absolutely did not intend to come accross in this manner. Kevin is new to our company and is still learning the type of questions that he will be asked and how to appropriately respond. Our company policy is to answer every question or information request with a personal letter rather than having e-mail auto responders or other "boiler plate" types of answers. This will occasionally lead to something either being mis-stated or mis-understood as obviously happened here. In case you are not already aware of this, we are not a division of Eaton Corporation but rather an independent company that simply handles service and the aftermarket for Eaton Supercharger Division. I understand that you are very unhappy with Magnuson Products, but please keep in mind that we do not speak for Eaton. You are correct that we are the company that is currently contracted to develop a supercharger system for the Vibe/Matrix and this system is under development but we do not yet have a completion date. However, we will only be involved with the supercharger itself, and any other components that may make this system even better will be handled by others. In addition, this system is being developed for TRD and GM SPO to their specifications, and their representatives would be better equipped to answer some of your questions. We are not involved in the electronic or fuel system calibration so cannot offer any assistance in these areas. Its not a question of us not being willing to answer some of these questions, it is that we do not know the answers. One of Kevins comments concerned the pulley that is currently planned as the standard pulley for the Vibe/Matrix supercharger system. This system is currently planned to have a 1.9" pulley, which will become the smallest pulley by far we have ever utilized on a production supercharger. A critical factor to keep belts from slipping is the amount of surface area on the pulley the belt is in contact with. When you start with such a small pulley there is virtually no room left to make anything smaller without having the belt slip. The only option with a smaller pulley is increased belt tension, which puts the bearings at risk. In our opinion this does not make a smaller pulley a viable option. Perhaps there is room to increase the size of the crank pulley to adjust the ratio for additional boost, but we have not yet looked at this. For this reason and at the present time, we are not planning to make a smaller pulley option for this supercharger system. Another suggestion that Kevin made concerned trying the system in its production condition first. Of course there will always be enthusiasts that will work to improve systems regardless of how good they originally are. That is precisely why I am in this business. I am the kind of person that is never satisfied and always seeking more, so I certainly understand what you are trying to accomplish. However, one thing we have found with our testing is that more boost does not always mean more power. If you do not have the electronic and fuel system upgrades as well as an intercooler or other means to control temperature to handle the addition boost you may add boost and lose power. Again, I hope you can accept our apology for not being treated properly. If there is any addtional questions I can answer please don't hesitate to give me a call or e-mail. Ed TresbackMagnuson ProductsPh (805) 642-8833e-mail ed@magnusonproducts.comhttp://www.magnusonproducts.com Looks like I'll be looking for a over sized crankshaft pulley. This will of course speed up all the accessories which I don't want to happen. Looks like I'll need over sized pulleys for the accessories too, off set the faster spinning crankshaft pulley.
andrewmva

Post by andrewmva »

quote:: ----A critical factor to keep belts from slipping is the amount of surface area on the pulley the belt is in contact with. When you start with such a small pulley there is virtually no room left to make anything smaller without having the belt slip. The only option with a smaller pulley is increased belt tension, which puts the bearings at risk. In our opinion this does not make a smaller pulley a viable option.------- should be able to fix that with a tensioner..... -but he is right about the bearing.... they should change the gearing in the charger!
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I received a reply from Nina Price who I contact regularly about Vibe questions and here is her response. She's still checking into a few things for me. quote:Good morning Derek,In response to your questions:The electronics are not designed to "cap" at any boost level.Theoretically, 10psi is within the functionality of the electronics -however - we have not tested with that intent.The supercharger is capable of 10psi. The engine is capable of 200hp. Wehave not tested at those levels for durability! It is possible but knowthat "the light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long". The fuelsystem will support up to 200hp but again we have not done durability.Finally, lubricant's meeting the API and GM Service Spec are okay for thetransaxle. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Amsoil's products toadvise on usage. Also, I don't know what the max torque capacity is but mysubject matter expert is checking.I'll post her next response when I receive it.