turbo on an auto base vibe?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
vibedrvr04

turbo on an auto base vibe?

Post by vibedrvr04 »

I'm gonna ask a stupid question, and probably be handed links to pages i've overlooked something on, but here goes...Can you turbocharge a Base Vibe with an automatic transmission? Also, when turbo-ing a 1zz engine, would it need internal work, or can it be run stock? Also, one other thing....I've heard the term "Turbo Supercharger"...what the heck is it? The turbo runs off exhaust gas, the supercharger is belt driven....what gives?Thanks in advance
Faultline

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (vibedrvr04)

Post by Faultline »

Hey Vibedrver04., welcome to the forum. I have a manual tranny. If you look at my sig, you can see what my turbo kit is all about. I have had it on for over 2yrs. No you do not need to change the internals of the 1zz to boost it. The auto tranny , though,needs a solution for being under boost while it shifts. The boost will be hard on the tranny while it shifts, so you either have to always take your foot off the throttle when it shifts, or have some sort of manual shifter, or have a racing torque converter put into the tranny, which would be the most expensive. The pontiac SC cuts the boost during the shifts, you might want to go that route.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
nismo

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (Faultline)

Post by nismo »

I dunno. I mean, you could do it without redoin the internals. The benefit to redoin ur internals is that you can run more boost. So, if it were me, I would definitely change my internals. I'm not sure about how weak the tranny is. You may want to consult the guys over on the mr2 forums. There are a couple of people runnin real high boost. So, yeah.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
SoCalVibe

Post by SoCalVibe »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »...The pontiac SC cuts the boost during the shifts, you might want to go that route. I did not know the boost was cut during shifts, how does it accomplish this? (new thread?)
04 AT 1zz Vibe Satellite,GM Sport Package,18" RSS Wheels,Eibach drop,GM SC,Magnaflow catback,EL Prototypes header,Snow Perf WI,Cust A-pillar podhttp://www.ephotohut.net/viewp...1.jpghttp://w ... /socalvibe
BlueCrush

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (SoCalVibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by SoCalVibe »I did not know the boost was cut during shifts, how does it accomplish this? (new thread?)I would be interested in knowing about this as well. Is it done via the Supercharger ECU?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Then what happens to the boost when you shift with a manual? Out the BOV, right? Once it gets to a calabrated pressure it's released? Am I wrong? And as for the tranny, the boost comes on with less of a punch then the s/c so I think that the tranny should be able to hold up fine with a basic turbo like the ones (2 that is, well 1 1/2) that are offered.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Faultline

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (Lancer)

Post by Faultline »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Then what happens to the boost when you shift with a manual? Out the BOV, right? Once it gets to a calabrated pressure it's released? Am I wrong? And as for the tranny, the boost comes on with less of a punch then the s/c so I think that the tranny should be able to hold up fine with a basic turbo like the ones (2 that is, well 1 1/2) that are offered.when I take my foot off the throttle momentarily to shift, all of the pressureized air in the intake manifold rushes back toward the turbo...because the turbo is not boosting when your foot is off the throttle. The turbo is spinning still, and that back pressure would slow the turbo down. The BOV releases the air into the atomoshere instead of letting it go back to the turbo. The thing about the shifting in the auto is that you never take you foot off the throttle when it shifts on its own.
pics 10/2/05 http://photobucket.com/albums/a386/Faultline05/2003 Base Vibe, frosty color,moon n' tunes packagemods: Eibach sportline lowering springs,17"centerline forged wheels -silver excels -Goodyear Eagle F1 tires 225/50/17's-ACT HD clutch,2.5" exhaust,ES motormount inserts,up graded to 6 spd transmissionStafford Fabrication turbo kit: Garrett T3 turbo, FMIC ,SF BOV. ,Alcohol/water injection,and SF centerfeed fuel rail
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

Quote, originally posted by Faultline »The thing about the shifting in the auto is that you never take you foot off the throttle when it shifts on its own.So in your opinion would it be ok to put a turbo on a auto Vibe? Or better on a stick?
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
rcasciola

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (wicked1981)

Post by rcasciola »

my neighbor has an sti and his wife wont drive stick so he swapped ou tthe tranny for an auto. it still hits 300 hp and the BOV is loud as heck...definately worth it
My Car, with the kit on. it looks awesome! come and check it out, tell me what u think.P.S. the gray will be painted momentarily http://www.cardomain.com/ride/514882/1
wicked1981

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (rcasciola)

Post by wicked1981 »

So it would be the same to have an turboed auto as power is concerned?
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
AKLGT

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (rcasciola)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by rcasciola »my neighbor has an sti and his wife wont drive stick so he swapped ou tthe tranny for an auto. it still hits 300 hp and the BOV is loud as heck...definately worth itnow that is a real shame! if they made my legacy gt in a 6 spd manny tranny, you bet your (removed) i'd be driving one!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
nismo

Re: turbo on an auto base vibe? (trdvibe)

Post by nismo »

Thought they did. I was asking you why you bought the Legacy GT in auto. And I just went on Suby's website and the 5-speed is standard on your car.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI