CAI for GM Supercharger

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
SoCalVibe

CAI for GM Supercharger

Post by SoCalVibe »

Hello forum, It's been awhile since I've posted. Much going on at work but worth it as I have finally started doing the mods I have been dreaming of. I got my GM Sports package but didnt install the top spoiler. It just looked too busy with the roof rack and all. Lowered it with the Eibach kit, have the 18" RSS Hyper silver wheels, and last but not least, the supercharger is in. My question is...Is there a CAI that will fit this setup (Base 1.8L 1zz w/ s/c) without alot of modification or do I get the one designed for the non-s/c equipped and modify it? I also plan on getting a cat-back, 10-12psi pulley (if available), and of course the Unichip setup for fuel management. FYI only, I will post this tuff in other forums, but I'm just tring to get the CAI nailed down for now. Thanks in advance for your help,

Attached files
04 AT 1zz Vibe Satellite,GM Sport Package,18" RSS Wheels,Eibach drop,GM SC,Magnaflow catback,EL Prototypes header,Snow Perf WI,Cust A-pillar podhttp://www.ephotohut.net/viewp...1.jpghttp://w ... /socalvibe
nismo

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (SoCalVibe)

Post by nismo »

Looks real good man. I think that the CAI made for the non S/Ced vibe should fit. Ask greenfire to make sure. He had a S/C on his. He'll know more than anyone else here.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by SoCalVibe »Hello forum, It's been awhile since I've posted. Much going on at work but worth it as I have finally started doing the mods I have been dreaming of. I got my GM Sports package but didnt install the top spoiler. It just looked too busy with the roof rack and all. Lowered it with the Eibach kit, have the 18" RSS Hyper silver wheels, and last but not least, the supercharger is in. My question is...Is there a CAI that will fit this setup (Base 1.8L 1zz w/ s/c) without alot of modification or do I get the one designed for the non-s/c equipped and modify it? I also plan on getting a cat-back, 10-12psi pulley (if available), and of course the Unichip setup for fuel management. FYI only, I will post this tuff in other forums, but I'm just tring to get the CAI nailed down for now. Thanks in advance for your help,Looks awesome! Haven't seen you around. We should meet up some time. I'm here in SD off the 94 and 28th St near downtown. As for the CAI, from what I was told by Dreday who had a SC in his Vibe, the best CAI is the TRD CAI for the SC. It provides the least (if any) problems with the SC. Shoot me an IM if you want to meet up.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
SoCalVibe

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (damronjr)

Post by SoCalVibe »

I was at the TRD site and didn't see that application. I tried contacting Ted at toyotaautoparts.com but he no longer works there. They said Chris is the TRD guy now. If you have a link to any data on that TRD CAI for S/C equipped I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile I'll keep diggin'
04 AT 1zz Vibe Satellite,GM Sport Package,18" RSS Wheels,Eibach drop,GM SC,Magnaflow catback,EL Prototypes header,Snow Perf WI,Cust A-pillar podhttp://www.ephotohut.net/viewp...1.jpghttp://w ... /socalvibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I think greenfire put a CAI on his SC AWD Matrix, but he had some bad engine trouble from his fuel controller runnnig too lean, so he's not running CAI SC anymore. I can't remember the full details of his setup before the engine trouble. The post apocalyptic analysis at http://matrixowners.com/forum/...29799 is a good, but long read.
damronjr

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (joatmon)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I think greenfire put a CAI on his SC AWD Matrix, but he had some bad engine trouble from his fuel controller runnnig too lean, so he's not running CAI SC anymore. I can't remember the full details of his setup before the engine trouble. The post apocalyptic analysis at http://matrixowners.com/forum/...29799 is a good, but long read.Don't know about that. but Dreday's (now Dug's) Vibe has a short ram and water injection. It has been running that way for a while with (as far as I know) no problems. He said he never even got a check engine light! I can't get rid of mine and all I have is an Injen CAI! He is the one who told me the TRD CAI is the best for use with the SC and that you don't have to chop and mod it like the others. Your Toyota dealer or maybe even Ebay should have the TRD CAI.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Raven

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (damronjr)

Post by Raven »

I just bought a GM supercharger also. On the GM Goodwrench website it warns not to use any CAI with the supercharger setup, only the stock airbox. It says a CAI will mess with the air/fuel ratio and will void both the supercharger and drivetrain warranty. I believe I read something similar on the TRD site. If you get a custom made Unichip it may be possible to tune for a CAI equiped supercharger. I am going to use the stock airbox which luckily I kept when I put on my CAI and I'm going to stick with the 7.5 lbs boost to avoid meltdown.
damronjr

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (Sunny)

Post by damronjr »

If I recall right, this weekend at Andres Ken (who has a Matrix XR) had a TRD SC with an Injen CAI and Water Injection and alle he had to do was use a flex hose to connect it at the SC. Otherwise, it fit fine.
drayday55

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (Sunny)

Post by drayday55 »

dont listen to gm they dont want you to have any fun!! the s/c needs the cai!!! the only bad thging that can happen is the first cat melting down from high combustion temps. just get a water inj. kit along with it.
Raven

Re: CAI for GM Supercharger (drayday55)

Post by Raven »

I sent my S/C back because I couldn't get the parts it was missing. Water injection could be a problem when you live where the temperature is below freezing for 4-5 months of the year.