450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE!

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
d_m_kolb

450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE!

Post by d_m_kolb »

I thought you all might enjoy this. The set up was done on a MR2 but as many of you know the MR2 shares the Vibe engine.Post is quoted by andrewmvaquote:It is a 2001 MR2...The block was done, pistons, rods the whole 9 yards...entire drivetrain. The Head also recieved some special treatment,cams, springs retainers everything, when we were running the stock block we actually cracked a camshaft in half, it was not a pretty site.The turbo system is COMPLETELY custom, we fabricated a custom manifold and complete exhaust, The intercooling system consists of a huge air to water unit(the engine is rear mount)The manifold had to go through several different designs before really making good power and flow.... we did about 5 different styles.AT first we tried to run the Facory ECU, but with moderate boost (10-12lbs) the ECU would go nuts and lean out the engine afterwards, even at idle the manifold would get red hot. Never the less we went with stand alone management, the best move we made.The stock intake manifold had to go as well.... we fabricated an aluminum replacement.On a stock block running 100 octane fuel we made 300+hp at the rear wheels.... all I can say is WOW..... ever see an MR2 lift the front wheels?? I HAVEAfter the cam incident we were like OK... lets go nuts....which brings us to today.... I have the car sitting outside the shop..... waiting for a few more parts, gauges ect, minor body work then we are off to the dyno.from what we got out of the stock block... I think we should make the extra 100hp at the wheels no problem.I'm very excited to finish this car because my Matrix XRS goes in next... we will be looking for slightly higher number with the 2ZZ.... 500-550 at the wheels.... -but that is just a goal....where we would like to be. I would really like to own the 1st 10-sec matrix I posted this somewhere else but I will repeat myself...stop waiting for a kit.... forget about TP and somem of the others, they are JUNK..... grab your (ahem) and go turbocharge your car! The only kit that I can honestly say looks OK is XS's they seem to be on point...-but I would scratch the power FC and go with a haltech, TEC-II, or something along those lines, I use Microtech units.I know I left out a ton of other mods..... anyway feast your eyes on this.....here are some picsBTW - that is not an intercooler for the turbo system in the front.... it is a heat exchanger (basically a radiator) fot the liquid to air intercooler in the rear.The cooler in the front is for the water in the liq to air system..I will do a kit without internals -with stand alone-management for about$6000 that is a rough figure- smaller turbo.About $10,000 doing the internals and going with a big turbo
SyKoTiC

Re: 450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE! (Admin II)

Post by SyKoTiC »

Yo!! I love what this guy is saying. "I'm very excited to finish this car because my Matrix XRS goes in next... we will be looking for slightly higher number with the 2ZZ.... 500-550 at the wheels.... -but that is just a goal....where we would like to be. I would really like to own the 1st 10-sec matrix"Is it just me? Or is that candy to my eyes? Well, i have an XRS too, and i was just wonderin how you would make so much HP out of an engine with a high compression ratio. I always hear this "not too much boost cuz of the high compression." whats up with that? how are you breaking the barrier and making so much power? id really love to know. and when you do get the power... do mine next. haha. but above all, i applaud your efforts. man, thats mah dream. a fast @ss XRS.
d_m_kolb

Re: 450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE! (SyKoTiC)

Post by d_m_kolb »

This isn't your standard bolt on kit. They are totally redoing the stock engine and installing low compression pistons. Everything is either being strenthened or replaced. Trany included.
andrewmva

Re: 450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE! (SyKoTiC)

Post by andrewmva »

Yeah.... that is my post from another board... I have a seperate block out of a celica that I'm preping for all out insanity. Low compression pistons, forged rods, the block is being "sleeved" head studs, as well as "massaging" the head a bit, the entire valvetrain, basically not one thing on the car will go untouched. By no means is that type of power for daily driving, track duty only running 118 octane pro-stock fuel. I will log my progress and keep it posted on the board.
old man winter

Re: 450 WHP from a 1ZZ-FE! (andrewmva)

Post by old man winter »

I want that sticker..